C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

PayneTrain wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:52 pm
Hey JD! I don't come around much anymore, but I wanted to chime in just to say how happy I am to see Sal finally granting your wish. As long as I've been here you've been singing the praises of the Ayoob, and I think this is well deserved! I personally probably won't be going after this one as my knife box is pretty full, but I'm glad it's happening nonetheless. Now if you ever want to campaign for a Captain reboot...well, I can always find space for that!
Well thank you much Brother :) But I bet you'll change your mind when they release this new C-60 Sprint Run. You'll have your choice because they are going to make it in PE & SE both. I was worried that they wouldn't offer it in SE but about 75% to 80% of the respondents mostly wanted to see it return in SE. I was even surprised that so many of the guys wanted in SE over PE.

Myself I want both :) This C-60 Ayoob design accommodates both edge types nicely. Always great to see the old gang return. Don't be a stranger. We'll keep everyone posted as to when the release date is known. Happy Holidays ahead and we'll be talking again soon I'm sure.
mqqn

Post by mqqn »

My C-60 is SE - love it -

Would get another one for a good friend if these are out before Christmas.

best

mqqn
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I'll tell you what. Make the handle anything other than black and I'll think about it. That's about the only thing that gets me excited anymore as someone who feels pretty fulfilled in their knife needs. Has there been any handle talk yet?
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PayneTrain wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:38 pm
I'll tell you what. Make the handle anything other than black and I'll think about it. That's about the only thing that gets me excited anymore as someone who feels pretty fulfilled in their knife needs. Has there been any handle talk yet?
There have been other Spyderco models over the years where they did different colored handles for different edge types. The original, first run VG-10 Spyderhawk for instance was done in a black handle for the serrated version and a blue handle for the plain edged.

I would have no objection if they did the new C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run in a similar arrangement.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sooooo

I know this won't happen overnight but any updates would be cool. :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:35 pm
Sooooo

I know this won't happen overnight but any updates would be cool. :D
Glad you brought this thread up again. OH I'm certain that the C-60 Sprint Run is in the works. Now I personally have not heard anything yet. But I got a feeling after Christmas and New Years they will be going full throttle on this one.

I will reiterate that if they want to do different handle colors for the different edge types that would be fine by me. I just got out my original VG-10 Spyderhawk set. The serrated edge had a black handle and the plain edge had a nice blue handle. The blue handled PE Spyderhawk was at one time a "Forum Knife" but that's been a few years ago.

But I do like the idea of the C-60 Ayoob having different handle colors for the different edge types. I hope it's not too late for Spyderco to consider that>> that is if the rest of you guys like the idea as well :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd be happy with the SE version coming in Spy27 and that blue color assigned to it.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:23 pm
I'd be happy with the SE version coming in Spy27 and that blue color assigned to it.
Have you gotten to test drive a full SE blade made with Spy27 yet? I was unaware that there was a full SE model made with that steel as of yet.

I wouldn't mind if they made the serrated version of the C-60 Sprint Run in "Spy27". However VG-10 is not bad at all in full SE. I like it and ATS-55 both about the same in full SE.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:03 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:23 pm
Have you gotten to test drive a full SE blade made with Spy27 yet? I was unaware that there was a full SE model made with that steel as of yet.

I wouldn't mind if they made the serrated version of the C-60 Sprint Run in "Spy27". However VG-10 is not bad at all in full SE. I like it and ATS-55 both about the same in full SE.

As far as I know it hasn't been released in SE yet. I'm ok with VG10 too I just figured a new steel might drive interest more than "plain old VG10" since a lot of people seem to discredit VG10 these days.
~David
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

The knives with SPY-27 seem to be priced higher than I expected. Do you think a higher than expected price would hurt sales of this model?
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I would expect a high price even for standard materials, at least $200 MAP. Still, I'll pay for a cool handle!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

But from everything I've been told in private and otherwise I've only heard that their plans are to make the Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob in VG-10 in SE & PE both. However if they have a new blade steel they want to use then I certainly wouldn't object.

Which is why I want to know if Spy27 is good in SE? But so far nothing for certain is known yet whether or not it would be good with teeth.

Also I wish we would have chatted about different edge types having different colored handles from the beginning.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:34 pm
The knives with SPY-27 seem to be priced higher than I expected. Do you think a higher than expected price would hurt sales of this model?
Well that's an interesting question at this particular time. It would depend on how much it would raise the price.

At this time I'm doubtful that they will make the C-60 in anything else other than VG-10 ( which is fine with me). But I'm always open to make anything better.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I suspect these will be at least a year out, unless the Japanese factory is going to shuffle production around. So Christmas 2021.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:07 am
I suspect these will be at least a year out, unless the Japanese factory is going to shuffle production around. So Christmas 2021.
Oh no!! It shouldn't take that long :confused: >> I would think at the latest it might be late Spring or Early Summer of 2021. They already have the design and all the materials selected I wouldn't think that there would be a lot of hurdles to get over?

From what I understand the ball is already rolling on this project. I'm realistically hoping that I'll have a Sprint Run C-60 in my EDC pocket by April or May of 2021
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:50 am
JRinFL wrote:
Oh no!! It shouldn't take that long :confused: >> I would think at the latest it might be late Spring or Early Summer of 2021. They already have the design and all the materials selected I wouldn't think that there would be a lot of hurdles to get over?

From what I understand the ball is already rolling on this project. I'm realistically hoping that I'll have a Sprint Run C-60 in my EDC pocket by April or May of 2021
My guess is based on previous comments Sal has made about other projects and the lead time required. Again, maybe they will shuffle production around to make this happen sooner.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:04 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:50 am
JRinFL wrote:

My guess is based on previous comments Sal has made about other projects and the lead time required. Again, maybe they will shuffle production around to make this happen sooner.
Well maybe you know something that I'm totally unaware of. I think it was about the end of October 2020 when we got the green light on the project. I guess we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. But I'm keeping my hopes on late spring/early summer 2021. But time will tell.

If it truly is going to take that long ( and maybe it is) then we should have time to discuss handle colors for different edge types. I think it would add more appeal to the Sprint Run.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I wonder if the whole Covid-19 mess is going to set production back? I hope not but I can see it happening.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
benben

Post by benben »

bearrowland wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:31 am
I wonder if the whole Covid-19 mess is going to set production back? I hope not but I can see it happening.
I just received a custom Rawlings ball glove this past week, I ordered it on June 1st. Custom Rawlings take on average around 5 weeks from order date to your door, give or take, this one was almost 6 months!

So I’d say yes, production is set back, at least on custom ball gloves! It came from their plant in the Philippines.
561F3706-4C42-4C79-B32E-464662C88B1A.jpeg
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Nice glove! Yeah, I had a feeling there were going to be covid-19 issues...
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032