C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:31 pm
Great to see Mark Greenman here! I consider his article on the Ayoob all those years ago what put it on my radar. I also bought my LBHB on Mark’s recommendation. As far as color, any of the Kahr Delica colors or even the green the original Lil Temp came in?
Yeah I'm really glad he got on this thread finally. He's been a C-60 Ayoob fan about as long as I have which goes back to it's inception date 2002. Mark has been a great contributor over the years with a wide variety of timely comments over the years.

The C-60 Ayoob is one Spyderco model with a huge cult following and it is a most interesting group of people that appreciate it. Again Doc Snubnose's meat test he did with the fully serrated version of the C-60. That meat cutting test of his is one of the better testaments of how great the C-60 model is for such a wide range of uses.

Needless to say this model draws a crowd of interesting people.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 2:35 am
I don't think they'd have any problem making this knife in a thin FFG, they did with the Nilakka and the blade height is very similar and they wouldn't have to go as thin at the edge as the Nilakka (though that would be VERY cool if they did). I'm fine with a hollow grind, I'm more concerned with how the serrations are ground.
You know the more I'm thinking about it I would not at all complain if they elected to do this upcoming Sprint Run in a Full Flat Grind. Normally I usually take the position "IF It Ain'T Broke Then Please Don't Try To Fix It">> but in this case I can see that a different grind could make a superb blade design even better.

But I would like for Massad Ayoob himself and/or even Sal Glesser himself to be the ones to make that decision. They were the artists that did that masterpiece and I think it's only appropriate for them to have the final say on it.

To also have a prototype of a full flat grind unit to undergo testing by Michael Janich would be a nice part of the decision making process. Just to see first hand that it would improve overall performance.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

This will likely be a two knife purchase. One for use and one just in case, both in SE. For PE I really like HAP40 for a Japanese steel and the cladding keeps corrosion concerns at bay. Super Blue would break the internet.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I’m still impatiently waiting for a serrated one…
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

prndltech wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:03 pm
I've been nothing short of "AMAZED" at how many here in Spyderville want the Spyderedged version of the upcoming C-60 Sprint Run. And believe me you guys will be highly satisfied when these great folders finally arrive!!.

It's usually a bit "lop-sided" when they do both edge types>> but in this case I'm hoping that they estimate enough Spyderedged units to make everyone here in Spyderville happy. I'm hoping that Doc Snubnose will still be posting when the serrated units finally arrive. This is in my opinion one of the 3 best serrated Spyderco folders of all time IMO.

I'm still counting down the days myself guys. I'll post any news that I hear in the meantime.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:38 pm
prndltech wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:03 pm
I've been nothing short of "AMAZED" at how many here in Spyderville want the Spyderedged version of the upcoming C-60 Sprint Run. And believe me you guys will be highly satisfied when these great folders finally arrive!!.

It's usually a bit "lop-sided" when they do both edge types>> but in this case I'm hoping that they estimate enough Spyderedged units to make everyone here in Spyderville happy. I'm hoping that Doc Snubnose will still be posting when the serrated units finally arrive. This is in my opinion one of the 3 best serrated Spyderco folders of all time IMO.

I'm still counting down the days myself guys. I'll post any news that I hear in the meantime.
I've been a SE fan ever since I learned how easy it is to sharpen years ago. Way before I became a member, while I still enjoy PE pocket knives, if I had a choice on every model I, myself, only talking about me here (again this is my opinion), I would choose to have a serrated blade in my pocket. however, some models aren't available in full SE, so I must compromise and choose PE in that case.

This model in particular, I'm really looking forward to
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm a little let down that nobody has mentioned a prototype at Blade show :(
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:52 am
it didn't seem they were planning on changing anything substantial, so maybe there's no need for a prototype.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:40 am
Evil D wrote:
it didn't seem they were planning on changing anything substantial, so maybe there's no need for a prototype.

That's true, the biggest change is probably the additional clip mounting options so if they did show something it would likely have been a production sample.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Yeah I wonder what's up with that :confused: ??? You would most certainly think there would be a prototype developed by now?? I really wanted to go to the BLADE Show this year but medical crap has really eaten up my knife money :(

I didn't hear anything about there being on at either the Shot Show or The Amsterdam show. Those are two biggies for Spyderco's new stuff usually.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Evil D wrote:
No they did say that they were going to use a blade steel other than VG-10>> I know I heard that right. And I also heard that there was serious talk about colored handles as well. That was back around December or January that I seem to remember all of that being said.

Yeah I think enough has changed to where they would do well with a new prototype>> especially at the BLADE Show
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:30 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Evil D wrote:
No they did say that they were going to use a blade steel other than VG-10>> I know I heard that right. And I also heard that there was serious talk about colored handles as well. That was back around December or January that I seem to remember all of that being said.

Yeah I think enough has changed to where they would do well with a new prototype>> especially at the BLADE Show
maybe i'm wrong, but i don't see needing a prototype for a different steel with the same shape or for different color handle scales. even if you needed a prototype for adding a 4-way clip, i'm not sure it would need to go beyond a couple of in house samples just to make sure everything is good to go. either way, i wouldn't expect to have seen a prototype for a knife they've already produced and are considering bringing back for a potentially limited run with only a few minor changes.

hopefully, the fact that there wasn't a proto there for a new ayoob doesn't mean it's any further away than the protos that were there. maybe i'm just being hopeful.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Evil D wrote:
I don't know what Blade is like, but I visit the SHOT Show every year. Spydercos booth has two cases of prototypes, each case is about the size of a Stop Sign, and each one of those cases is packed to the gills with prototypes. Like, each case has been Tetrised to fit as many knives as possible, with very little wiggle room (making it sort of a game of 'operation' to get a knife in or out of the case.)

I'd say they display something like 40-60 prototypes between the two cases.

The result is that, without taking a photograph, its extremely hard to process all the knives that are in the prototype case; if I see 60x prototypes I might recall accurately 6-8x of them, primarily the knives that I'm personally interested in. The rest fade to a steel blur in my memory. And you can see that from previous reports on SHOT and other shows - we hear reports about 6-10 cool new models, even though way more were on display.

So its entirely possible the Ayoob was on display, and simply none of the visitors to the booth were 'Ayoob Dudes' and so by the time they made it home to report on the show, the C60 had faded from memory with all the other prototypes.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

woops double post.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Nope. No Ayoob in the proto cases.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mark greenman wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:19 pm
Evil D wrote:
I don't know what Blade is like, but I visit the SHOT Show every year. Spydercos booth has two cases of prototypes, each case is about the size of a Stop Sign, and each one of those cases is packed to the gills with prototypes. Like, each case has been Tetrised to fit as many knives as possible, with very little wiggle room (making it sort of a game of 'operation' to get a knife in or out of the case.)

So its entirely possible the Ayoob was on display, and simply none of the visitors to the booth were 'Ayoob Dudes'
Hey Mark I love this new phrase you've just coined >> "AYOOB DUDES" :cool: From now on I'm going to start referring to all of the avid Ayoob fans as "AYOOB DUDES" :D

Mark I know that the Shot Show is a great event and I do at some point plan on going to one. But the BLADE SHOW in Atlanta is truly the grand daddy of all the knife shows. I can't even think of one that comes in a close second. If I wasn't ate up with medical bills I would be there as we speak. For me it's even better than Christmas. I've been to 7 of them and it just keeps getting better.

Being that they have formed a club known as "Spyder Nation" I think it's more than fitting to get a local chapter of "AYOOB DUDES" going as soon as possible :cool:
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Ayoob Dude #54 requested once you start a roll call
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'll take lucky #13

😈
~David
Monty

Post by Monty »

As an Ayoob Dude I cannot wait for this one and the new serrated P4. What a year to be alive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Monty wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:25 am
As an Ayoob Dude I cannot wait for this one and the new serrated P4. What a year to be alive!
Yeah we Spyderville citizens are truly spoiled rotten in many ways :D . I know that times goes fast but I'm still counting the days to when we get our hands on the newest C-60 Ayoob model.

I think we're going to find out that there are far more "AYOOB DUDES" than many of us ever imagined :cool: >> and with both edge types being made available again I think Spyderco is going to be shocked at how quick these new C-60 models are going to fly off the shelves.

Yes indeed we should consider creating a new fraternity for the fast growing group of AYOOB DUDES :cool: I guess we could call the girls "DUDETTES" :D