C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:57 pm
Sal was ready to make a salt Ayoob when Lance started the request for a better salt folder. I was the one who mentioned the Ayoob for the starting place and I believe if the forum had supported it more we would have it now. I don’t think I will be lucky enough to get one if BHQ does the jade/M4, I have missed all of the ones I wanted. Hoping for production model
Yeah that's been a while back but I do seem to remember that. But in the past 10 years or so I've heard at least 6 different Spyderco fans call out for a Salt version of the Ayoob>> Lance wasn't the only one wanting a Salt AYOOB model. I would also love to see a SALT version of the first generation TEMPERANCE 1 model in PE & SE. It would be a super good fixed blade for outdoor uses. But again I would want in both edge types as it was originally made available from it's inception.

The Ayoob is so well loved in SE that it wouldn't surprise me if the SE outsells the PE when the Sprint Run finally arives. The SE version has sure gotten a lot of fanfare on this thread in the past year. But the C-60 is such a good blade I must have it in both edge types. And I want two of each. This will probably be my main EDC for the next 3 to 5 years if it all works out.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Oh where oh where has my Ayoob gone, oh where oh where could it be?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Rp5 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:32 am
I think we're all on "pins & needles" waiting the new Ayoob to arrive. This isn't the first time I've ever played the waiting game and I doubt if it will be the last. To me it's almost like looking forward to Christmas when I was a kid.

I still think it's going to be interesting to see how fast this batch is going to sell out. I'm predicting less than a month for sure.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:15 am
Rp5 wrote:
I think we're all on "pins & needles" waiting the new Ayoob to arrive. This isn't the first time I've ever played the waiting game and I doubt if it will be the last. To me it's almost like looking forward to Christmas when I was a kid.

I still think it's going to be interesting to see how fast this batch is going to sell out. I'm predicting less than a month for sure.
I think your metaphor may be more accurate than you intend.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Rp5 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:50 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:15 am
Rp5 wrote:

I think your metaphor may be more accurate than you intend.
Yeah that might be over doing that somewhat referring to the Christmas holiday. But when these new Ayoob models hit the dealer's shelves it's going to be similar to waiting overnight for Led Zeppelin tickets. Probably not even quite that much enthusiasm but they will be selling at a rapid rate I'm certain of it with this model.

I've got two buddies who are not avid knife people like most of us are but they are both outdoorsmen and they both really appreciate quality tools. Both of these guys are constantly asking me when the C-60 is going to be available. I let one of my buddies where I've been working carry one of my older Ayoob models for about 3 days and he fell in love with it>> he's got a big family but says he wants one really bad. And lately he's bugging me at least every two weeks or so about when they are going to be available.

Also I let my Pastor use my G-10 Sprint for one day when we were working at the church and he now wants the PE & SE both. He's a former Navy Officer of 32 years so he has a little more love for knives than most of these other guys do because of his work in the military. When you let people actually test drive and use this particular model it's incredible how fast some of the guys fall in love with it. I kind of wish that Spyderco could set up some type of test driving, pass around deal where maybe forum people can actually see first hand how several of their newer models could actually work on the job. If they could set something like that up I bet the sales on certain popular models would really catapult.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The Ayoob is definitely a knife that isn't fully appreciated until you have it in hand. Unfortunately it is very, very very, ugly (I don't know if I expressed how ugly it is but we'll move along). People buy with their eyes most of the time which is unfortunate in this case. Might be beneficial to some of us who will actually use this knife and give us time to actually get one. Maybe it's too ugly for scalpers to try and flip. I'm hoping to pick up at least 2 SE and one PE. I remember years ago when I was tracking one down I could still find them on Mas' website and that was after they were long discontinued. I wonder if he'll sell some again. The community he's involved with would probably be more willing to purchase one based on his endorsement.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:25 am
The Ayoob is definitely a knife that isn't fully appreciated until you have it in hand. Unfortunately it is very, very very, ugly (I don't know if I expressed how ugly it is but we'll move along). People buy with their eyes most of the time which is unfortunate in this case. Might be beneficial to some of us who will actually use this knife and give us time to actually get one. Maybe it's too ugly for scalpers to try and flip. I'm hoping to pick up at least 2 SE and one PE. I remember years ago when I was tracking one down I could still find them on Mas' website and that was after they were long discontinued. I wonder if he'll sell some again. The community he's involved with would probably be more willing to purchase one based on his endorsement.
Ugly?? Really?? Vash with all due respect this may be a case of "Beauty Is In The Eye OF The Beholder". Personally I always liked the uniqueness and the unorthodox style of the C-60. Then when I got to using it and discovered that the design is "Function First". And extremely functional at that.
But I do find your take on it extremely interesting and maybe in a good way. Because years ago I do remember Sal Glesser himself commenting on the fact that Jess Horn who designed a few models for Spyderco>> well Jess Horn said that Spyderco's knives were ugly because of the Spyderco opening hole as well as some other features. It's been years since I heard that said but Mr. Jess Horn was quoted as saying that and I'm sure I could look it up with some time to search it out.
Well since thousands upon thousands of Spyderco knives being sold to thousands of very satisfied customers I seriously doubt if Mr. Glesser cares one hoot about what Mr. Jess Horn said at that time. Something to consider anyway :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Let's be realistic about flippers... if they're not actual members of this forum, they at least know about the forum and follow it and see this 53 page thread. You can absolutely guarantee the flippers will be all over this knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:22 am
Let's be realistic about flippers... if they're not actual members of this forum, they at least know about the forum and follow it and see this 53 page thread. You can absolutely guarantee the flippers will be all over this knife.
OH for sure there will be some guys flipping this model. I would say that about 6 months after the release there will be people flipping this model for about double it's retail price>> if not more. Depending on how many units Spyderco puts out. I haven't heard on how many they have decided on.

But I agree with you David>> if you want a Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob you better buy one when they become available if you don't want to pay bootleg prices for one later on.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:25 am
I didn't want to be the one to say it but I do agree. In terms of aesthetics, this is up there on my short list of least favorites and I had a feeling I wasn't alone. :o While I personally do not care for the looks of the design, I have heard too many good things, from JD, regarding the performance and function to not try it. I'm definitely planning to try one.

On the topic of flippers and this model, it seems like regardless of the perceived popularity of any sprint run there are always at least some flippers that will try to capitalize on it.
-Nick :bug-red
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

I say JD should buy all of the Ayoobs up front direct from Spyderco and be in charge of reselling them to people who would use them. Down with the flipper market.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Rp5 wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:07 am
I say JD should buy all of the Ayoobs up front direct from Spyderco and be in charge of reselling them to people who would use them. Down with the flipper market.
Sure corner the market on the C-60 Sprint Run and devise a "pump & dump" scheme like the wolves on Wall Street do with speculative stocks & bonds.

We could have hedge fund managers put out some really fantasy driven rumors and propel the prices higher yet :D

But truly "supply & demand" will drive the market for the C-60 Sprint Run just like it does in any other market. But I do think that the Supply & Demand will be in the favor of those who will be selling them.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I was sitting back this evening thinking about a few of the guys commenting that the C-60 Ayoob model was perceived to be ugly to them. And in a way I can sort of see how they might see it that way. Because the C-60 is far from being a conventional type folder. And a lot of people just like tradition and don't like specialized designs. I've told a couple of these good Spyder-Brothers that I think the C-60 has a design beauty to it that you can only appreciate by actually using it. And I'll stick by my guns on that one.

To me a design which is geared for function has a special beauty all it's own. But I've always kind of liked unorthodox designs and I also like designs intended for specialized uses. The old cliche "Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder" really does apply in this case. When Mr. Ayoob designed this masterpiece I'm convinced that he considered function first and foremost. You can see that just by using it for an extended period of time. I've been EDCing one of my PE G-10 Sprints from 2011 and it's really grown on me.

A lot of people don't like Hawkbill designs>> but over the years I've found dozens of great uses for serrated Hawkbill blades and nobody makes them even half as good as Spyderco does. The C-60 is designed for function and that always appeals to me.
James Y

Post by James Y »

There are many non-Spyderco people who think that ALL Spyderco knives are “ugly.” I have to respectfully disagree with them. I actually like the looks of a lot of the models. Functionality has a beauty all its own. I also think that the C-60 looks cool, even though I don’t have one (yet). Only time and opportunity will see if I end up able to get one when they do come out.

I remember the first time I ever saw a Spyderco, which IIRC, was in a movie in around 1993. It was a SS Police model. I thought it looked unusual and high-tech, but didn’t really think it was “ugly.” I could see that the round hole in the blade was for the thumb to push the blade open one-handed, even though I’d never even heard of a manual one-hand opening folder. I thought it was some kind of special knife for “military use.” LOL.

Jim
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Some of my personal favorite Spyderco designs would probably be considered unconventional or unorthodox knife designs. (The Perrin PPT and the Squarehead) So I don't know if that's exactly why I'm not a fan of the Ayoob's design aesthetics.

This is just my opinion from seeing many photos of the knife, I'm not trying to convert anyone but just maybe explain my view a little more. There are a couple visual things about the Ayoob design that I'm not a huge fan of. First is that the handle shape comes off as kind of bland or basic to me. At least, it's not a part of the knife design that grabs my attention. Second is the shape of the thumb ramp. It feels abrupt and awkwardly shaped. In my opinion, it makes the overall blade shape look like the head of a real life Greater Roadrunner.

I believe you when you say the Ayoob was designed primarily for function and for that reason I am willing to try this new sprint run when it is released.
-Nick :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I remember back when I first joined here, the Ayoob was still in production and I do remember thinking it was just weird and ugly looking but that has completely changed for me now. I guess part of it is seeing the function of the design, knowing why it looks the way it does helps to make sense of it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I dunno. I still think it’s ugly.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:32 am
I remember back when I first joined here, the Ayoob was still in production and I do remember thinking it was just weird and ugly looking but that has completely changed for me now. I guess part of it is seeing the function of the design, knowing why it looks the way it does helps to make sense of it.
I can relate with everything you just said. Because way back in the Spring of 1995 when I bought my very first Spyderco knife which was a stainless handled, full Spyderedge Mariner model. And I didn't buy it for it's looks because I wanted a fully serrated blade to take on hunting trips and other tasks. It performed so well that I quickly learned to evaluate a knife based on it's performance.

I also remember shortly after I got my first Spyder it wasn't long after that when I got my first Spyderco Hawkbill blade which was a Merlin model.

In 2002 when the first run of the Ayoob was launched I went to the BLADE Show that year and the C-60 Ayoob was first on my list to buy. I don't regret it at all. But I found it's looks rather intriguing because I had never seen a folder like that before. I had read so many of Massad Ayoob's articles that he used to write for "BackwoodsHome" magazine that I was just really wanting to know what he liked in a knife. I've never regretted getting it and it has been in my JD's Top 10 ever since. And I like each edge type about equal. The overall function of that blade made me not even care what it looked like.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kodai78 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:04 pm
With all due respect I'm just curious>>> Have you ever used a C-60 Ayoob model before?

Because if you have not I do believe your attitude would change dramatically after carrying one and using it for at least a week or so. The C-60 Ayoob is one of Spyderco's knives that you absolutely must use in order to give a thorough and honest evaluation of that model.

This is one that you must use to appreciate. Because it's not designed for the fine art crowd it's designed for serious knife users.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:34 pm
kodai78 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:04 pm
With all due respect I'm just curious>>> Have you ever used a C-60 Ayoob model before?

Because if you have not I do believe your attitude would change dramatically after carrying one and using it for at least a week or so. The C-60 Ayoob is one of Spyderco's knives that you absolutely must use in order to give a thorough and honest evaluation of that model.

This is one that you must use to appreciate. Because it's not designed for the fine art crowd it's designed for serious knife users.
I’m sure that’s true. I was referring exclusively to the aesthetics of the model. I do hope any future production is in large enough numbers that everyone who wants to can try it. I am afraid that won’t be the case. Sprints and exclusive models have such small product runs, by design apparently, that many aficionados miss out. It’s very difficult to try a model in hand before buying. I’m certainly not part of the collector or fine art crowd, I use every knife I buy. Unless I get very lucky I doubt I will ever see, or own a C-60.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder: