C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kleon

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Kleon »

I have to agree with JD on this point. I love that SE version wow does it cut. The PE variant is terrific as well and of course you can vary up your sharpening approach to the PE and tailor it to your needs. I reprofiled mine to 30 inclusive and sharpened it only with CBN rods deburred it and it is super aggressive yet still shaves... love both versions.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Thanks Kleon I really appreciate your support on that issue. However one aspect of this great Sprint Run that has even passed all my expectations is how well received the serrated version was. I've never recalled any serrated Spyderco folder that got the support that the serrated C-60 Cruwear Ayoob Sprint Run got.

Also a little sidenote: I've got two hunting buddies that I've known for years who are not even knife lovers at all. But I got both of these guys PE versions of the 2011 Sprint Run of the C-60 for hunter/folders to take deer hunting and you can't even pry one away from either one of those guys. I've tried buying both of them back from both guys and offered decent money and both told me that they won't part with their plain edge C-60 Ayoob at any price. Again these guys don't really care which company made it at all. But they sure love the C-60 Ayoob plain edge for a hunter/folder.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

JD, do you miss the hollow grind? I was hoping for this to be my first hollow-ground Spydie. Didn't stop me from getting it though. If (and that's a big if according to previous statements by Sal) there is another run, I wouldn't mind having a hollow grind on that one.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Last edited by Mrj on Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MRj “Weak things break!”
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Mrj wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:19 pm
https://houseofknives.ca/spyderco-massa ... y-c60gpgy/

Canada/ SE
Careful when buying on the site it shows SE but says **Knife is as pictured but with a plain edge blade.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

This has become a very long thread, sorry if this has been answered but I have to ask before preparing to overpay to get one of these in SE ( When I find one that is )

How is the SE version in real world use defined as:

#1.Opening boxes and cutting down cardboard?

#2. On the cutting board? I like trailing point knives to use a prep knives or just general use knives for small stuff like Jalapenos, Olives, Onions, Garlic, Carrots, Mushrooms, tomatoes, etc... Is the angle good for slicing and mincing these types of items, I use my SE Shaman allot for stuff like this when I am carrying it.

#3. Is anyone aware of a video where someone is actually demonstrating the knife in use for these tasks? All I find are safe Queen reviews, you know the type unbox trot it out it on the runway and describe size fit and finish blah, blah, blah.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
BigFishShamu

Post by BigFishShamu »

A while back I reached out to SFO for replacement screws for the Cruwear Sprint ayoob, and their service was excellent. When I got the clip and screws, I noticed that they were for the original model with the bigger clips and screws. I called and they said that they are all out of the hardware for the newer Ayoob models. I want to carry my Ayoob more, but I am kinda nervous about the security of running only two screws. Do y’all think that loctite blue would be good enough to hold ‘em down?
“Stepping into the ring was the fight.”
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

I found that my body screws were loosening as well as clip. Consequently I applied blue loctite to the clip and body screws.

Interestingly I found that the body screw tightness affected the opening action on mine. I would have thought that the pivot was the only factor on this but that was not the case on mine.

I would say prime or degrease the new clip screws then blue loctite and properly tighten them allow to cure and you should be good to go.
MrBerle

Post by MrBerle »

Finally my Ayoobs (SE and PE) came in the mail! This thread had me pretty hyped but unfortunately not as hyped as I should have been!

These things freaking rocks! Works great in the kitchen, cuts very well and the ergonomics are amazing. I feel very close to ordering at least one more SE version.

It'll be fun to se how I like CRU-WEAR too, my first knives with that steel.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BeggarSo wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:19 pm
This has become a very long thread, sorry if this has been answered but I have to ask before preparing to overpay to get one of these in SE ( When I find one that is )

How is the SE version in real world use defined as:

#1.Opening boxes and cutting down cardboard?

#2. On the cutting board? I like trailing point knives to use a prep knives or just general use knives for small stuff like Jalapenos, Olives, Onions, Garlic, Carrots, Mushrooms, tomatoes, etc... Is the angle good for slicing and mincing these types of items, I use my SE Shaman allot for stuff like this when I am carrying it.

#3. Is anyone aware of a video where someone is actually demonstrating the knife in use for these tasks? All I find are safe Queen reviews, you know the type unbox trot it out it on the runway and describe size fit and finish blah, blah, blah.
No problem at all>> And some of this information on the C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run bears repeating anyway. The serration pattern on this newer Cruwear Ayoob model I believe is even superior to the original serrated C-60 Ayoob model. And keep in mind I was a huge fan of the original 2002 Run of this model.

The serrations on this newer model does just about anything you can also do with a plain edged version. If I had to pick just one of the two and I could only have one of them I would immediately go for the serrated version with no hesitation at all. Needless to say both edge types are awesome with this new Cruwear Ayoob model.

Also the serrations on this new edition are somewhat easier to sharpen than those on the original SE model. You can't go wrong with either version but if your budget constrains you to just one model then by all means get the SE version if you can still find one available. The guys I've been talking to recently told me that both edge types are getting tough to find. So don't wait too long to pull the trigger. And let us know how you like the new Cruwear Ayoob. It's become one of my top 3 favorite Spyderco folders of all time.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MrBerle wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:13 pm
Finally my Ayoobs (SE and PE) came in the mail! This thread had me pretty hyped but unfortunately not as hyped as I should have been!

These things freaking rocks! Works great in the kitchen, cuts very well and the ergonomics are amazing. I feel very close to ordering at least one more SE version.

It'll be fun to se how I like CRU-WEAR too, my first knives with that steel.
Most interesting that you've discovered how good the C-60 Ayoob does with food. I said this way earlier in the thread. I used to have a good friend who lives in the Finger Lakes Region of Upstate New York and he fishes a lot. He told me over 10 years ago that the C-60 was hands down his favorite "fillet knife" for fish.

I can't wait to try my full SE version on some fish this coming Spring. The blade design on this C-60 Ayoob model does all kinds food chores really nicely. It's nothing short of "incredible" the wide range of practical uses that the C-60 does and does very well.

Just be careful with the Cruwear blade because it is prone to corrosion if you forget to clean and maintain it. But I also think that Cruwear was a genius selection for this model. I will treasure both of my PE & SE for years to come I'm certain.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:04 pm
JD, do you miss the hollow grind? I was hoping for this to be my first hollow-ground Spydie. Didn't stop me from getting it though. If (and that's a big if according to previous statements by Sal) there is another run, I wouldn't mind having a hollow grind on that one.
That's an interesting question you pose. But to be truthful I've put my older C-60 models up against this newer Cruwear version and I can't see any advantages or disadvantages that immediately come to mind. The work I've done with my newer PE & SE have been great>> But I mainly find that this newer serration pattern is truly the "Cat's Meow" as far as efficiency goes.

I guess my answer would be a flat out "NO". Oh I'm sure if you put them side by side you would eventually find something noteworthy but so far it's all THUMBS UP for me. Sometimes "looks" can be deceiving. The overall blade geometry of the C-60 model is so ergonomically splendid I just can't find anything to complain about in the jobs I've used them on so far. But do keep in mind there are valid reasons that most straight razors have a "hollow grind".

But overall I have absolutely no complaints about this newer Cruwear Ayoob at all. I do feel that this project overall has been a complete success.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Thanks JD Now I just have to find a serrated version that is not close to $00.00 Yesh the nerve of some people!
MrBerle

Post by MrBerle »

Deleted
Last edited by MrBerle on Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrBerle

Post by MrBerle »

My collection of SD knives, complete with two new beauties :smiling-heart-eyes

I need a chinook and a lil' matriarch too!
I also have a tan 20CV yojimbo on the way, with tan handle and black blade. From a seller in Ukraine actually. The jade version is also calling for me, as is the yojumbo, the all black yojimbo and many more :chipmunk
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I need a SE. I didn't have enough money for both when they dropped. So I planned aftermarket. Hasn't worked out. Missed a couple due to money again. Now nothing is popping up.

:-||
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MrBerle wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:24 am

I also have a tan 20CV yojimbo on the way, with tan handle and black blade. From a seller in Ukraine actually. The jade version is also calling for me, as is the yojumbo, the all black yojimbo and many more :chipmunk
NICE!!! I like everything in the pic with the exception of the Civilian. And it's not that I don't regard the Civi as being a well made knife because I do. But the Civi just doesn't fit my hand like the Matriarch does. But you sure can't go wrong with anything in that line up. Spyderco sure has something for about every sector of knife use.

The Ayoob was originally designed for SD but that C-60 design can accommodate about anything you want to use a premium blade for.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

5-by-5 wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:51 pm
I need a SE. I didn't have enough money for both when they dropped. So I planned aftermarket. Hasn't worked out. Missed a couple due to money again. Now nothing is popping up.

:-||
I'm simply mind-blown that this C-60 Sprint Run has become extremely difficult to obtain in such a short time. And I'm just blown away that the serrated C-60 models have sold out equally as fast as the PE has. That's just simply unprecedented in any Sprint Run I remember.

I do hope that Spyderco may have second thoughts about producing more of these. It truly seems like the demand is actually increasing over time.
MrBerle

Post by MrBerle »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:20 pm
MrBerle wrote:

NICE!!! I like everything in the pic with the exception of the Civilian. And it's not that I don't regard the Civi as being a well made knife because I do. But the Civi just doesn't fit my hand like the Matriarch does. But you sure can't go wrong with anything in that line up. Spyderco sure has something for about every sector of knife use.

The Ayoob was originally designed for SD but that C-60 design can accommodate about anything you want to use a premium blade for.
That's funny because the Civ is my favorite! Fits my hand almost perfectly (Yo2 is #1 in ergonomics tho).

I have a few weeks R&R now and I've been testing out my new Ayoobs with great enthusiasm, I feel like they could handle ANY cutting task.
Mr. Ayoob really nailed it with this design, I hope we get to see more of it!

On a side note: I wonder which would be the best stabber, the Yojimbo 2 or the Ayoob? I will research this.

Cheers
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MrBerle wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:36 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:20 pm
MrBerle wrote:

That's funny because the Civ is my favorite! Fits my hand almost perfectly (Yo2 is #1 in ergonomics tho).

I have a few weeks R&R now and I've been testing out my new Ayoobs with great enthusiasm, I feel like they could handle ANY cutting task.
Mr. Ayoob really nailed it with this design, I hope we get to see more of it!

On a side note: I wonder which would be the best stabber, the Yojimbo 2 or the Ayoob? I will research this.

Cheers
Again I do hope that Spyderco is watching this thread. Because the new Ayoob Sprint Run is so well liked that I do think it would do extremely well if they ended up making at least one more batch of them ( In both edge types of course).

Your last comment about which model would be a better "stabber">> I would go with the C-60 Ayoob all the way if that occasion would unfortunately arise. The streamlined, tapered design of the C-60 blade makes it ideal for a wide range of Self Defense scenarios. Again we hope it would never come to that. But it's nice to know just in case things were to go crazy.

Not only would it be great for stabbing in a bad situation but the handle feels completely natural when you're holding it at that angle. A great deal of detailed thought went into this design. I'm sure that MR. Ayoob spent many many hours putting this one together.