C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:19 am
I was really hoping to see this in the next reveal, hopefully it's coming soon in whatever new version of the reveal we get.
My gut tells me that it will be here around the Christmas holiday 2021. Or maybe the first part of this next year.

I'm thinking that there are other projects that must come first due to previous commitments. It's a wild guess at this point. Because I haven't heard anything in the past 2 to 3 months>> no rumors>> nothing
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

This thread has inspired me to fondle my Ayoob C60 sprint run in G10 again. Looking at the clip and the circular marks on the blade pivot it looks it had it's fair share of pocket time (30 years+ of carrying Spyderco knives makes my memory murky) but i just realised that this version is tip down only! Maybe that's why it was pushed it out of my pocket. I'll try to carry it again in the next days. Maybe it will rekindle my love for it. I probably won't buy a new sprint run, but hopefully it will have the tip up option. Always liked Massad Ayoobs articles in the 80's and 90's in the law enforcement magazines and he was an inspiration in those days. Holding it reminds me of the great ergonomics it has. The handle feels great. The blade arc when you open the blade just feels a little unfamiliar and "too short". Pretty thin blade and the negative angle just looks weird ( i understand the biomechanical thought behind it), but form follows function. Definitly not a light weight with the full steel liners. The wide hump in the blade does takes some pocket space in front right carry, and it's not a knife that disappears in your pocket. So i'll see what the next days bring.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Really looking forward to this release. That’s in no small part due to JD. His methodical defense of the knife wore me down. Plus we’re getting a mystery steel being shipped to Seki. I hope we won’t find out until the actual release. I kinda like not knowing.
benben

Post by benben »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:16 am
Plus we’re getting a mystery steel being shipped to Seki. I hope we won’t find out until the actual release. I kinda like not knowing.
Ha, me too, I did that with both of my children! Just painted their nurseries a neutral color! ;)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I wish we could get a rough ETA on this one. I have a knife fund burning a hole in my pocket but can be patient if I knew this was happening in 2021 or Jan 2022
James Y

Post by James Y »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:36 am
I wish we could get a rough ETA on this one. I have a knife fund burning a hole in my pocket but can be patient if I knew this was happening in 2021 or Jan 2022

You’re actually in a great position! I wish I had that much money I knew I could spare specifically for knives!

😩 🙂

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:
Really looking forward to this release. That’s in no small part due to JD. His methodical defense of the knife wore me down. Plus we’re getting a mystery steel being shipped to Seki. I hope we won’t find out until the actual release. I kinda like not knowing.
I actually like not knowing which blade steel they are going to use. But I've got a feeling that it won't disappoint us regardless of which blade steel they decide upon. I don't even mind waiting another month or two. Because I've got a feeling that this is going to be a super good quality folder when it's all said and done.

What I'm finding really interesting is how many people that are now aware of this classic model ( C-60 Ayoob) that previously knew not much about it. Also I've been surprised at how many people have shown an interest in this Sprint Run. Again I'm looking for the C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run to be here around Christmas 2021. Or shortly thereafter. Plus how many Sprint Runs have they recently offered in SE & PE both?
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

I could definitely handle Christmas... gives me some time to build some knaf funds.

My only concern remains getting a fair shot at buying these sprints without taking two days off from work. With the revision to the whole reveal process, I'm relying on the forums and this thread to give me a heads up when it might drop. I agree that it should be a really good folder when all said and done.
benben

Post by benben »

Carried my Ayoob to church this morning, I’ve come to love those aluminum scales, they’ve really grown on me! Super thin in my pocket for what size knife it actually is.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:55 am
Carried my Ayoob to church this morning, I’ve come to love those aluminum scales, they’ve really grown on me! Super thin in my pocket for what size knife it actually is.
It is most interesting that you bring up the fact that the C-60 Ayoob is a relatively thin folder riding in your pocket by comparison. However don't mistake that feature thinking that it might not be rugged enough for hard use>> quite the contrary because here lately I've been taking it to work with me and have used it for rough cutting in landscaping and late gardening.

The versatility of this C-60 design should appeal to a large base of knife fans ( SE or PE). And being that Spyderco has elected to do it in SE & PE both is really exciting because SE Sprint Runs have not previously drawn that much interest in the past 2 to 3 years or so. I think that is about to change and change radically I might add.

Also since I've been EDCing my 2011, G-10 handled Sprint Run of the C-60 for the past 4 months or so I've also discovered how easy the routine maintenance is on the C-60 model. It's probably thee most dependable and reliable lock-back I've used in quite a while. It's extremely practical for about anything you would want to use it for. Especially as an outdoor type folder ( hunting & fishing).
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:
Thank you for the kind words Brother. I don't believe anyone will be disappointed in this newest, upcoming C-60 Sprint run. I just hope that they make enough of them so that everyone who sincerely wants one will get their chance.

Again I'm so amazed at how many forum members are clamouring for and in many ways are demanding a serrated version of this great C-60 Sprint Run. I don't think I recall ever seeing so much demand for a serrated Sprint Run model since I've been on the forum>> and that's been a few years.

I do believe that regardless which blade steel they end up with for the C-60 SE & PE units I do believe everyone will be happy when it finally arrives.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

If at all possible, I advocate for Sal to mail JD a SE specimen on the house. You were like a pit bull with a beef femur getting this done. When I think Ayoob, I think JD and Mark Greenman and not Massad, LOL
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:27 pm
If at all possible, I advocate for Sal to mail JD a SE specimen on the house. You were like a pit bull with a beef femur getting this done. When I think Ayoob, I think JD and Mark Greenman and not Massad, LOL
Thanks for the kind words TBD. I've loved that C-60 Ayoob model since I bought my first one back when it was released around 2002. And I've never found very many folders that I like nearly as much since those days. That design of the C-60 was so far ahead of it's time. Not sure what brother Mark Greenman is up to these days. He was chiming in a few months back but I haven't heard much out of him lately. And he has been a big C-60 Ayoob fan for many years as well.

I predict that the C-60 Ayoob will be a very popular blade again when the Sprint Run is released. You've got to realize that probably at least 70% of the guys & gals that are here on the Forum at this time have never used or handled a C-60 Ayoob model. And I believe that the C-60 model will finally get the attention it richly deserves. I think most of us are counting the days at this point.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:22 am
twinboysdad wrote:
Not sure what brother Mark Greenman is up to these days. He was chiming in a few months back but I haven't heard much out of him lately. And he has been a big C-60 Ayoob fan for many years as well.
Still here man, I check in every week or two to see if theres been any news on the C60 or the Military 2.

In terms of whose the real founder of the C60 Fanclub, thats absolutely you JD. I discovered the C60 from your thread years ago on Bladeforums to try and have the knife resurrected, circa maybe 2007-8?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mark greenman wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:12 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:22 am
twinboysdad wrote:
Not sure what brother Mark Greenman is up to these days. He was chiming in a few months back but I haven't heard much out of him lately. And he has been a big C-60 Ayoob fan for many years as well.
Still here man, I check in every week or two to see if theres been any news on the C60 or the Military 2.

In terms of whose the real founder of the C60 Fanclub, thats absolutely you JD. I discovered the C60 from your thread years ago on Bladeforums to try and have the knife resurrected, circa maybe 2007-8?
Well I was unaware of that Mark. But I do remember talking a lot about the C-60 Ayoob model over at Bladeforums. At one time I was a bit more active on that website and I've let the folks over there be aware of the upcoming Sprint Run of the C-60.

Brother there are so many people that are fans of this model >> I'm willing to bet that there are more than we realize. When the original C-60 Ayoob was released in 2002 I do believe that the model was ahead of it's time. It's not the only Spyderco model from what I affectionately call "The Golden Era Of Spyders" ( 1998-2004) >> but it's the one Golden Era model I do believe that avid Spyderco fans want to see the return of the most.

Always good to hear your input Brother Mark. There isn't much information on the release date at this point. But if and when I do hear any news on the upcoming C-60 Sprint Run I have a feeling it will first show up on this thread. I do hope that Spyderco Forum members get the first buying opportunity when the first units leave the factory. Always great to hear from you Mark!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm gonna say they're afraid of putting this knife out because it may just end my knife buying days and they don't wanna lose me as a customer.

Prove me wrong 😁
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:16 pm
I'm gonna say they're afraid of putting this knife out because it may just end my knife buying days and they don't wanna lose me as a customer.

Prove me wrong 😁
Actually I think the opposite is true. Because I believe you'll like it so much that you'll end up wearing out a couple of them. Kind of like I did with one of my Catcherman models and an older full SE Endura I used for work. In all fairness Spyderco has a lot of projects in the making at this time. But I do have a hunch that we'll have it before St. Patrick's Day this coming March.

Undoubtedly there is a delay of some sort. But that doesn't bother me because I'm more than glad to wait if the quality is top notch and I do believe it will be.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:55 am
I like this post of yours >> you consider your C-60 Ayoob among your "Sunday Best" :cheap-sunglasses And I can guarantee you'll like a G-10 handled version far better than the original aluminum/almite of the first generation C-60.

I do hope that they release this new C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run just a few at a time and with a few dealers at a time. Otherwise it will be like getting tickets to a Rolling Stones concert back in the 70s. The more I use my G-10, 2011 Sprint Run of this great Ayoob model the more I get anxious for the new one. Even with VG-10 blade steel the 2011, G-10 handled version is an awesome EDC folder.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

You mean like getting Tomorrowland tickets? 60000 in a few seconds....
benben

Post by benben »

946F8F7D-4783-470E-B73D-0AF159A18906.jpeg