C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Evil D »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:43 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:16 am
I'm kind of surprised that Evil D. didn't include this one in on his most recent thread. It sure would qualify.
I noticed that also. I just assume he has a strict blade length requirement. :)

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:16 am
I'm kind of surprised that Evil D. didn't include this one in on his most recent thread. It sure would qualify.

Well, the Ayoob does fall short in length which is a bit of a bummer, but I didn't include it since it seems to be in production limbo and won't be entering the showdown any time soon. For that matter there may not be a SE Chief any time soon either so it's really between the Police 4 and Resilience. The Ayoob may still win over both of those based on clever ergonomics alone. While I do prefer more edge length, it isn't always the end all deciding factor.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That's the biggest and most positive attribute of the C-60 Ayoob model. Even though there are models that have somewhat longer blades it really doesn't matter. Because the genius ergonomics of the C-60 Ayoob actually perform better in most jobs I've used it on. When I carried my G-10 Sprint Run of the Ayoob for a week I ended up putting my M390 Military model into semi-retirement. Because I found the C-60 Ayoob much more agile than the C-36 Military model. In spite of the VG-10 blade not being as good as the M390.

As good as the design is I'll take the C-60 over most models even with longer blades at this point. Unless something better comes along. I'm ultimately hoping that Massad Ayoob goes back to the drawing board and comes up with a new model at some point. I truly hope he isn't a "One Hit Wonder">> Because the C-60 was truly a genius design IMO.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 8:40 am
That's the biggest and most positive attribute of the C-60 Ayoob model. Even though there are models that have somewhat longer blades it really doesn't matter. Because the genius ergonomics of the C-60 Ayoob actually perform better in most jobs I've used it on. When I carried my G-10 Sprint Run of the Ayoob for a week I ended up putting my M390 Military model into semi-retirement. Because I found the C-60 Ayoob much more agile than the C-36 Military model. In spite of the VG-10 blade not being as good as the M390.

As good as the design is I'll take the C-60 over most models even with longer blades at this point. Unless something better comes along. I'm ultimately hoping that Massad Ayoob goes back to the drawing board and comes up with a new model at some point. I truly hope he isn't a "One Hit Wonder">> Because the C-60 was truly a genius design IMO.

Joe,

Isn’t it better to have been a ‘one-hit wonder’ in knife design than a ‘no-hit wonder?’ Having created one great, classic design beats out creating a bunch of unpopular, unsuccessful designs.

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'll take quality over quantity every time but it would be really cool to see an updated version of the Ayoob with similar ergonomics but all the improvements that production/design has seen since it was originally made.
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:34 am
I'll take quality over quantity every time but it would be really cool to see an updated version of the Ayoob with similar ergonomics but all the improvements that production/design has seen since it was originally made.
A touch smaller on the new model if you’re asking me
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:39 am
JD Spydo wrote:

Joe,

Isn’t it better to have been a ‘one-hit wonder’ in knife design than a ‘no-hit wonder?’ Having created one great, classic design beats out creating a bunch of unpopular, unsuccessful designs.

Jim
Jim with all due respect I think you've misunderstood what I was saying. When I talked about Massad Ayoob being a "One Hit Wonder" I was making the assertion that he most definitely hit the ball out of the park with the bases loaded when he designed the C-60 folder. I was giving the guy credit for designing what I believe is one of the best folder designs I've seen in the past 25 years or so. And I just don't want him to stop there>> I believe with his talent he could go back to the drawing board and most likely even top what he already did. I said that with much respect for the guy. Please re-read what I was saying.

As brilliant as that design was and still is I just know in my gut he could do another great one. And I would love to see what other ideas he might have. I meant nothing but good when I said all of that. I think it goes without saying that I'm a big fan of his design and would like to see more of what he could do.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:51 pm
James Y wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:39 am
JD Spydo wrote:

Joe,

Jim
Jim with all due respect I think you've misunderstood what I was saying. When I talked about Massad Ayoob being a "One Hit Wonder" I was making the assertion that he most definitely hit the ball out of the park with the bases loaded when he designed the C-60 folder. I was giving the guy credit for designing what I believe is one of the best folder designs I've seen in the past 25 years or so. And I just don't want him to stop there>> I believe with his talent he could go back to the drawing board and most likely even top what he already did. I said that with much respect for the guy. Please re-read what I was saying.

As brilliant as that design was and still is I just know in my gut he could do another great one. And I would love to see what other ideas he might have. I meant nothing but good when I said all of that. I think it goes without saying that I'm a big fan of his design and would like to see more of what he could do.

Joe,

I think you may have taken my post a little personally, which was not my intent. I know that you respect and give credit to Massad Ayoob. I never implied that you didn’t. And I would also love to see another great design from him. My statement intended to mean that even one great design is enough, if he is not motivated to do another one, or has no other ideas for one.

If I had a concept for a knife design and Spyderco was interested in producing it, I’d be over the moon just to be a one-hit wonder, if that was the only design I could come up with that Spyderco wanted to make, or if it was the only one I could think up.

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Anyway..

It would be nice to get any kind of official update on this. There are at least a couple models coming that will hold me over, but it's a good idea to stoke the coals once in a while.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 5:41 pm
Anyway..

It would be nice to get any kind of official update on this. There are at least a couple models coming that will hold me over, but it's a good idea to stoke the coals once in a while.
Yeah I'm hoping we get some type of notice ahead of time on this one for sure. I just have a gut feeling that the Ayoob Sprint will go pretty fast. I doubt if they last longer than a month at the very most when they are finally shipped to dealers.

I've got a feeling that many fans of Massad Ayoob's firearm articles will want one of these.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Do we know what steel & handle material/color the sprint is supposed to use? I'm not up to searching 49 pages of posts looking for it...
James Y

Post by James Y »

yowzer wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 5:25 pm
Do we know what steel & handle material/color the sprint is supposed to use? I'm not up to searching 49 pages of posts looking for it...

I don't think those are known yet.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 6:01 pm
yowzer wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 5:25 pm

I don't think those are known yet.

Jim
The only inside info I've had given to me about this C-60 Sprint Run and I'm not 100% confident of it's accuracy>> but I was told back in January that they were pretty sure the blade steel was going to be "CPM-SPY27". Also I've heard through the grapevine that G-10 is more than likely going to be the handle material.

Now that's what I heard back in January. But I'm not going to bet the farm on that information being 100% accurate. But my gut tells me that is probably true. I would be happy and content if that is the case.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Spy27 would be a wise gamble. It's a model that has already stirred up curiosity, so pairing it with a new steel should entice enough people to buy it and will cut down on the "well it's ONLY S30V and black G10" reactions. Plus if I'm honest I'm anxious to try out Spy27 with serrations anyway so this will even be true for me too.
~David
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

I think patience is the only policy at this point.

We'll get news when we get news.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 2:24 am
Spy27 would be a wise gamble. It's a model that has already stirred up curiosity, so pairing it with a new steel should entice enough people to buy it and will cut down on the "well it's ONLY S30V and black G10" reactions. Plus if I'm honest I'm anxious to try out Spy27 with serrations anyway so this will even be true for me too.

I’d love to try out some SPY27 in this model.

TBH, whenever they do come out, I’m not really expecting to snag one before they’re gone. I have a feeling they’re going to disappear pretty fast. But first world problems; I’m not worried about it. C’est la vie. The day I start stressing over my knife hobby is the day the hobby comes to an end for me.

Jim
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Rp5 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 4:34 am
I think patience is the only policy at this point.

We'll get news when we get news.
I agree. I'm expecting this model to be featured in a reveal catalog.
-Nick :bug-red
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Man, I've been out of the loop too long - theres going to be another Ayoob run?

This pleases me :spyder:

Needless to say, very excited by this development.

For those who may be unfamiliar with how versatile the design is:

Comprehensive C60 Ayoob overview:
viewtopic.php?t=45380

Updated review of the previous G10 sprint:
viewtopic.php?t=51551
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mark greenman wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 7:42 pm

viewtopic.php?t=45380

viewtopic.php?t=51551
Hey Dude!! I just knew deep in my gut that you would show to this thread at at some point. Actually I'm kind of surprised you didn't show up sooner knowing how big of a fan you are of the C-60 Ayoob model.

As you can see I launched this thread in July of 2020 and it's drawn some serious interest and hasn't run out of steam either. What's super cool is that Sal has agreed to SE & PE edge types both in the Sprint Run. I was mind-blown at how many people wanted this model in Spyderedge.

Mark it's great to see you back again. Any additional input or suggestions you might have to share on this Sprint Run will be highly appreciated.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 2:50 pm
mark greenman wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 7:42 pm

viewtopic.php?t=45380

viewtopic.php?t=51551
Hey Dude!! I just knew deep in my gut that you would show to this thread at at some point. Actually I'm kind of surprised you didn't show up sooner knowing how big of a fan you are of the C-60 Ayoob model.

As you can see I launched this thread in July of 2020 and it's drawn some serious interest and hasn't run out of steam either. What's super cool is that Sal has agreed to SE & PE edge types both in the Sprint Run. I was mind-blown at how many people wanted this model in Spyderedge.

Mark it's great to see you back again. Any additional input or suggestions you might have to share on this Sprint Run will be highly appreciated.
Great work getting the excitement for the Ayoob started again JD. It was actually your original thread, maybe 2006-07? on Bladeforums, that got me interested in the Ayoob model.

Very excited that a SE version will be making a sprint, as the Ayoob, with its sweeping blade profile plus negative blade angle, is really a superb SE knife, as its able to press a lot of 'edge' into the material on a pull cut.

In terms of design tips, I'm not particularly picky about bladesteel (I still think VG10 is a great steel.)

What I would like to see is a higher performance blade grind, at least for the PE model. Its regular grind was more then fine for its original Self Defense role, but to me was a bit lacking in terms of EDC utility compared to more slicey Spydercos like the Military.

I sent both of my EDC Ayoobs (the original and then the G10 sprint) to Tom Krein to be reground.

The top was a very fine FFG, which obviously worked great. However, the G10 model is really awesome. Its a super deep, 'straight razor' deep Hollow Grind. This is both more aesthetically interesting and produces some really unreal cutting performance.

So if Spyderco could either do a normal FFG, or the more unusual but really badass 'Straight Razor/ Super Hollow Grind' I think that would make for an exceptional update.

I'll try and get some updated pics of the hollow grind.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd be 100% in favor of that ^^^
~David