C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buddafucco

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Buddafucco »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:29 pm
resonanzmacher wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:15 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:05 am
PlainEdge:
KnifeWorks... https://knifeworks.com/syderco-massad-a ... c60gpgy-1/

Northwest Knives... https://northwestknives.com/collections ... de-c60gpgy
The Northwest page says 16 PE in stock.
The factory must actually have more in the warehouse than I thought they did. I thought they might be getting near to the end of the supply about now. But it seems like we are at the point to where you've got to make an effort to find one in stock somewhere with either edge type.

It would appear that the SE units are selling about even with the PE. Or it would seem so. I'm sure glad I added both edge types to the original request. The SE pattern on this Cruwear Ayoob is a cutter's dream blade. Only the AUS-8, full SE Catcherman has a pattern about as good IMO.

But I would say at this point if anyone still wants a Cruwear Ayoob they better pull the trigger ASAP.

Sal said a while back that they were receiving them in batches. I'm thinking Spyderco is doing their thing and then shipping them as they get them from Japan.
I also still think that a bunch of dealers, that should be getting them, haven't put up either edge type for sale yet.
The real question is, how many more of the SpyderEdge are we going to see? My observation is that the initial shipment was about 50/50 PE vs SE. Then the PlainEdge started showing up again at some places. And now the PE is popping up at more dealers. It's looking like the majority are going to be PE.
I haven't really been searching directly for the Ayoobs for a while. There could be more out there now. I'll try and do a sweep through my dealer list tomorrow.

I really like the PlainEdge but the SpyderEdge just takes it to another level. My replacement SE is due to arrive on Tuesday. I'm excited to have it back in the rotation!
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:38 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:34 pm
PlainEdge... American Flags & Cutlery... https://americanflagsandcutlery.com/kni ... ing-knife/
I see a Coming Soon tab there in the corner for this one. Not sure they're in stock.

That is a possibility, but the "Add To Cart" button is what I go by. It wasn't there a couple hours ago, and that means somebody changed the inventory level in the computer. Sometimes the "Coming Soon" tab is just slow too disappear. It happens to some of the best dealers also *cough*DLT*cough* :grin-sweat

PS... Love ya DLT!
•• Beau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:11 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:29 pm
resonanzmacher wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:15 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:05 am
PlainEdge:
KnifeWorks... https://knifeworks.com/syderco-massad-a ... c60gpgy-1/

Northwest Knives... https://northwestknives.com/collections ... de-c60gpgy
The Northwest page says 16 PE in stock.
The factory must actually have more in the warehouse than I thought they did. I thought they might be getting near to the end of the supply about now. But it seems like we are at the point to where you've got to make an effort to find one in stock somewhere with either edge type.

It would appear that the SE units are selling about even with the PE. Or it would seem so. I'm sure glad I added both edge types to the original request. The SE pattern on this Cruwear Ayoob is a cutter's dream blade. Only the AUS-8, full SE Catcherman has a pattern about as good IMO.

But I would say at this point if anyone still wants a Cruwear Ayoob they better pull the trigger ASAP.

Sal said a while back that they were receiving them in batches. I'm thinking Spyderco is doing their thing and then shipping them as they get them from Japan.
I also still think that a bunch of dealers, that should be getting them, haven't put up either edge type for sale yet.
The real question is, how many more of the SpyderEdge are we going to see? My observation is that the initial shipment was about 50/50 PE vs SE. Then the PlainEdge started showing up again at some places. And now the PE is popping up at more dealers. It's looking like the majority are going to be PE.
I haven't really been searching directly for the Ayoobs for a while. There could be more out there now. I'll try and do a sweep through my dealer list tomorrow.

I really like the PlainEdge but the SpyderEdge just takes it to another level. My replacement SE is due to arrive on Tuesday. I'm excited to have it back in the rotation!
Yeah I do sort of remember that now that you mentioned it. And I hope they will still be available for 2022 Christmas presents. I'm hoping to get one more full SE model myself. If I had the resources I would love 3 of each edge type. Because I got a feeling that it may be a long time before we ever see another Ayoob Sprint ( if ever).

Again I can't thank you enough for all the valuable information of where they are available that you have been providing all of us. This entire project has been a super success so far.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pm, edited 13 times in total.
•• Beau
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

Sheesh.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I have a Plain Edge in pocket today

I wonder if they fixed the "snaggletooth" on a 2nd run?
confucius

Post by confucius »

If only the SE didn’t have the snaggletooth....
benben

Post by benben »

My Sunday today for church security, my serrated Ayoob and a HK P2000sk pair very nicely together!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

confucius wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:09 am
it's really only a cosmetic problem in use. if you really want one, i'd take a chance. some are fine and none are ruined. i still don't think spyderco should've sold us the snaggletooth as if they were acceptable for the price, but i'd rather have the knife in se than not have it. it's a good knife.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

confucius wrote:
So all 4 of mine have had the snaggletooth, and my current EDC probably has the most pronounced 'tooth of the bunch (I chose this one as it was the smoothest to open of the 4.)

I was very upset with the snaggletooth situation when the knife first arrived.

However in use, that one random 'hook tooth' at the front has proven weirdly useful. It works great for catching and popping zip ties (like a tiny strap cutter), and also serves as an excellent 'entry point' for piercing and then slicing through clam shell packages. It sorta reminds me of the hooked tip of my Cricket in how it performs.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

mark greenman wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:00 am
However in use, that one random 'hook tooth' at the front has proven weirdly useful. It works great for catching and popping zip ties (like a tiny strap cutter), and also serves as an excellent 'entry point' for piercing and then slicing through clam shell packages.
Same.

I said as much when I got mine, and it's proven so. AFAICS it's a feature and not a bug. I can see how people who are focused on the appearance might have a grievance, and I'm not here to tell them that they should get over it. Not my business. But I'm happy to say that happy accident or not, the SE Ayoob is now my favorite serrated knife.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

My new SE Ayoob came in yesterday.

•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

SpyderEdge... KnivesShipFree... https://www.knivesshipfree.com/spyderco ... e=hs_email

Edit: Out of stock
Last edited by Buddafucco on Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:46 pm
confucius wrote:
it's really only a cosmetic problem in use. if you really want one, i'd take a chance. some are fine and none are ruined. i still don't think spyderco should've sold us the snaggletooth as if they were acceptable for the price, but i'd rather have the knife in se than not have it. it's a good knife.
I agree with LB, on all points.

Do not pass on this just because of the snaggletooth. Sal said it is very unlikely we will see a return and many will regret not getting one while they were easily available.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

First time they trickled out a bit at a time. The second shipment was everywhere all at once!

In like a lamb and out like a lion. Used to be that the only thing knives and March had in common was Julius Caesar, but the Ayoob has now joined the chat.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

confucius wrote:
I guess I'm extremely fortunate that mine didn't have that cosmetic flaw. But I seriously doubt if that minor flaw is going to affect the overall performance.
This serration pattern really cuts nicely with the jobs I've used it on in the past two months or so.

It does sort of break my heart that this may be the final time we get a new edition of this really well designed classic.

I wish Mr. Massad Ayoob would go back to the drawing board and design another folder ( or fixed blade) soon. Again this serration pattern on this new C-60 Ayoob really performs nicely.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:25 am
confucius wrote:
It does sort of break my heart that this may be the final time we get a new edition of this really well designed classic.
I'm still amazed and delighted we got this second sprint run.

That we did is a testament to your relentless cheerleading for the C60, and Sals generosity in giving us another run.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I'm on my 4th sharpening/touch up my SE. It's touched up beautifully with a few sets of 3:1 passes on the Gauntlet.

I think this is both a function of the Cruwear, but also the wider/shallower SE pattern 'flowing' across the stones really well. It almost feels like a PE blade; not as 'bouncy' like some of the SE I've sharpened before.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mark greenman wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:33 pm
I'm on my 4th sharpening/touch up my SE. It's touched up beautifully with a few sets of 3:1 passes on the Gauntlet.

I think this is both a function of the Cruwear, but also the wider/shallower SE pattern 'flowing' across the stones really well. It almost feels like a PE blade; not as 'bouncy' like some of the SE I've sharpened before.
I guess I'm going to have to break down and get one of those Spyderco "GAUNTLET" sharpening kits. Because you're the second person in the past two weeks that has liked that kit for full SE blades. Just to look at pics it doesn't seem like it would have big advantages over the 204 Sharpmaker.

But will all that said I've never bought a sharpening tool from Spyderco that I regretted buying so I'll take the plunge in the next two weeks. I'm kind of surprised that there are not more sharpeners for full SE blades on the market by now.