C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

kodai78 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:13 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:34 pm
kodai78 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:04 pm
I dunno. I still think it’s ugly.
With all due respect I'm just curious>>> Have you ever used a C-60 Ayoob model before?

Because if you have not I do believe your attitude would change dramatically after carrying one and using it for at least a week or so. The C-60 Ayoob is one of Spyderco's knives that you absolutely must use in order to give a thorough and honest evaluation of that model.

This is one that you must use to appreciate. Because it's not designed for the fine art crowd it's designed for serious knife users.
I’m sure that’s true. I was referring exclusively to the aesthetics of the model. I do hope any future production is in large enough numbers that everyone who wants to can try it. I am afraid that won’t be the case. Sprints and exclusive models have such small product runs, by design apparently, that many aficionados miss out. It’s very difficult to try a model in hand before buying. I’m certainly not part of the collector or fine art crowd, I use every knife I buy. Unless I get very lucky I doubt I will ever see, or own a C-60.
Oh I fully and completely understand what you're saying. Believe me because I've been battling medical and other related bills because of a horrendous fall I had straight on concrete, face first last autumn. It tore up my face and really screwed up my left shoulder. So my own knife buying regimen has been reduced to only a trickle from what it normally is. And I've been focusing on knives that I want and need as "users". And I'm getting more like you've described all the time>> in that I use most every knife I get.

And if a guy really likes the more conventional type of designs I can certainly understand why the design of the C-60 would not appeal to someone who is more accustomed to traditional designs. Which brings up one of the biggest reasons I became such a huge fan of Spyderco's great products. They cross into territory where most other knife companies would not dare to cross. Massad Ayoob ( the designer of the C-60) is a well known firearms expert and it just goes without saying that any design he comes up with will be based on critical function. I just hope at some point he'll design more folders and fixed blades.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I would love to see another Massad Ayoob Spyderco collaboration. If for no other reason than it would be generally available. The C-60 looks similar (to me) to some of my favorite Spyderco knives. Ed Schempp designs. I think it’s the negative blade angle. I’m a fan of Spyderco knives generally but let’s be honest they’re not form over function, the reverse is true. I know from your postings that you seem to prioritize function before form.
I’m sorry to hear about your fall. I hope your recovery is progressing well.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I think a C60 Massad Ayoob made in Seki-City, Japan even with just VG-10 and G-10 is going to have a fairly high street price. The last Sprint Run made in Seki-City, Japan with VG-10 and G-10 was the Viele Phoenix with a street price of $315 (although it had titanium) which was at dealers on March 4, 2021 and still available at several dealers now.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Personally I always liked the looks of the Ayoob, as its very much the sort of 'dangerous curves' we'd see in an exotic weapon or high performance car.

That said, you really need to understand the 'slashes like a hawkbill; stabs like a push dagger' design goal behind the negative blade angle to really appreciate it. Otherwise the bent shape doesn't make sense.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kodai78 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:03 pm
I would love to see another Massad Ayoob Spyderco collaboration. If for no other reason than it would be generally available. The C-60 looks similar (to me) to some of my favorite Spyderco knives. Ed Schempp designs. I think it’s the negative blade angle. I’m a fan of Spyderco knives generally but let’s be honest they’re not form over function, the reverse is true. I know from your postings that you seem to prioritize function before form.
Your comment brings up an item of interest that I haven't thought of in quite some time. Few people remember that when Massad Ayoob and Spyderco launched the C-60 that he had also designed a fixed blade called "Razorback".

To the best of my memory I believe it was "MOD" ( Masters of Defense) who sold that model. I was never able to get my hands on one of those fixed blade RAZORBACK models but I had also heard good things about that model.

It was a streamline tanto design but unlike most other tantos I ever encountered. Yeah I would love to see another folder and another fixed blade both done by Massad Ayoob.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:31 am
kodai78 wrote:
Your comment brings up an item of interest that I haven't thought of in quite some time. Few people remember that when Massad Ayoob and Spyderco launched the C-60 that he had also designed a fixed blade called "Razorback".

To the best of my memory I believe it was "MOD" ( Masters of Defense) who sold that model. I was never able to get my hands on one of those fixed blade RAZORBACK models but I had also heard good things about that model.

It was a streamline tanto design but unlike most other tantos I ever encountered. Yeah I would love to see another folder and another fixed blade both done by Massad Ayoob.
Blackhawk! sold a version of it as well after they scooped up MoD and cheapened the knives. They called it the Razorback-Trocar Knife.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:43 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:31 am
kodai78 wrote:

Blackhawk! sold a version of it as well after they scooped up MoD and cheapened the knives. They called it the Razorback-Trocar Knife.
Hey JR do you remember what blade steel that MOD originally made that fixed blade Ayoob Razorback with do you? I'm kind of surprised that Massad Ayoob would do business with the likes of MOD because over the years I've heard so many stories about them>> and they weren't good stories either.

It seems like they catered to the "Mall Ninja" crowd for the most part. It would be ultra-cool if Spyderco could also do a version of that Razorback fixed blade or some other fixed blade that Massad Ayoob designed. Again that just baffles me that a guy as classy as Massad Ayoob would do business with a company like MOD. Because over the years I heard far more complaints about that company than I heard compliments about them.

I came very close to buying that one Hawkbill folder that MOD made back in 2005>> it did have an S30V blade and looked nice. If you all remember that was the knife that I based my big Hawkbill thread on i.e. "Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill". Because I seriously thought another company was going to upend Spyderco's line up of great Hawkbill folders.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

James Keating & Mas Ayoob both designed knives for MoD, way back. I think I read the original Razorback was in CPM-154 or maybe CM154?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:47 am
James Keating & Mas Ayoob both designed knives for MoD, way back. I think I read the original Razorback was in CPM-154 or maybe CM154?
Yeah I think you might be right on that one. I wish I could remember off the top of my head the name of that premium grade Hawkbill model that MOD had in that 2005 time slot. It had an S30V blade that I do distinctly remember which surprised me at the time that MOD would go to that extreme with a Hawkbill blade that probably didn't sell all that well.

But yeah during that time both of those steels were used by quite a few of the companies. One of those was said to be a copy cat of ATS-34 but it's been so long I forget which steel it was. It's hard to believe that about 25 years ago ATS-34 was considered a premium supersteel. Oh how things have changed :confused:

I would love to see Massad Ayoob design another folder and fixed blade both. That guy hit the ball out of the park the first time at bat. I'm hoping we get this C-60 Sprint by Christmas of this year. But I'll still be happy if we get about one year from today.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well it's just been way too quiet here lately. I'm speaking specifically of any news regarding the progress of the upcoming C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run. I haven't even heard any inside rumors or any speculation as to when the C-60 will be available. It's almost "Twilight Zone" creepy in a way.

Even if it's not going to manifest until next Spring would be OK with me if it's going to take some extra time. I sure hope the interest in this C-60 Sprint Run hasn't waned.

I so much want many of the new folks here in Spyderville to get a taste of this Super Classic Spyderco folder. I'm kind of wondering if any of you guys have heard any more news on the subject?
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I check in regularly to view this thread for updates. Still waiting patiently.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Freediver wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:47 pm
I check in regularly to view this thread for updates. Still waiting patiently.
I got a feeling it's going to be a big surprise when it finally hits the marketplace. I don't care it if takes until next spring to get it done as long as they do a quality job on it. But I am hoping it hits the market long before that.

The new, upcoming Ayoob model will probably be my next EDC depending on the blade steel they select. I can't really compare any other model to it that I've ever carried. It does somewhat resemble that Szabo folder that Spyderco did a few years back. But the overall design of the C-60 is still far different than any other Spyderco folder I've ever encountered.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that it will be sooner rather than later for the C-60 to arrive.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Thanks for keeping the thread alive JD! Looking forward to any updates here, be it small or not noteworthy.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

The longer they wait, the happier my wallet/wife will be.

I thought about posting in this thread like a week ago but didn't want to be the only one complaining. I'm hoping it'll be in the next reveal and we'll see them drop by year end, but will keep waiting patiently if not.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't mind the wait as long as the finished product is up to par. I'd hate this comeback to be plagued with QC issues.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

nerdlock wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:26 pm
Thanks for keeping the thread alive JD! Looking forward to any updates here, be it small or not noteworthy.
Yeah I hear you Bro >> because it's been really quiet concerning the progress of the Ayoob Sprint Run. But that might be a good thing with all things considered. I predict that they are going to do a really high quality job on this new Ayoob. Because the first Sprint Run they did with the G-10 handle was a vast improvement over the original Almite handled model.

It seems like Spyderco does improve the overall quality on several of these Sprint Runs and I'm sure that takes time to get right. But it has been really quiet concerning the progress of the Ayoob Sprint Run. I do hope they will give us some kind of progress report on the C-60 Sprint Run soon. There's quite a few guys waiting for this one.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:14 am
I don't mind the wait as long as the finished product is up to par. I'd hate this comeback to be plagued with QC issues.
For some strange reason I'm just not worried about quality issues with this upcoming Sprint Run. Because I do think that's one reason it might be taking as long as it is. The 2011 Sprint Run with the upgraded G-10 handle was a vast improvement over the original with the Almite handle. I've been EDCing one of those for about two months now and it's a great EDC folder>> yeah even with VG-10 blade steel. I can't wait to use this model with one of the newer/better blade steels.

I'm kind of hoping that they will do different colored handles for each edge type ( PE & SE). They did that with the original SPYDERHAWK and that was really nice. If this Sprint Run sells out fast I think we could make a good case for this model to eventually be made in other blade steels.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Friendly bump. Thanks again JD for making this happen.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Good bump.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was really hoping to see this in the next reveal, hopefully it's coming soon in whatever new version of the reveal we get.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David