C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BeggarSo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by BeggarSo »

AYOOB Serrated Edge has arrived. This darn thing is shaving sharp just sharved my arm and now have a nice bald spot. I mean wow talk about stupid sharp!

Love it might look for a second one. It is excellent in food prepe even as I thought it might be the pistol grip and the negative angle accentuates the trailing point geometry this excells at push cuts amazingly so and pull cuts also.

The desing automatically puts your thumb on the gimping ramp and I find my thumb comfortably reachin over the hump and resting on the spine for greater control.

This might very well be a shape that if you could have no other knife this might just be it. As a bonus this is longer / bigger than expected and that is a plus.

Credit to SMKW fast delivery ordered on a Wednesday afternoon with free shipping delivered on a Friday morning. :star-struck

:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Thanks for the testimony Beggar. This full SE version of the C-60 Cruwear Ayoob is totally different than almost any other full SE Spyderco knife that I've ever owned or used. The only one that can compete with it is my older AUS-8, full SE Catcherman model that I've had for over 20 years now. I still use it in the kitchen at least twice a week. It has a really low profile, more rounded set of serrations that cut really precise and nice. But this new full SE Ayoob model is even significantly better from several other standpoints.

With the intense popularity of this new full SE Ayoob and as much as the guys all seem to love this full SE model I do hope at some point that Mr. Glesser will have second thoughts about the possibility of bringing this model back into production.

I totally agree with you Beggar I've not seen another full SE Spyderco folder even close to this one performance-wise. The only model I have that can compete at all with it might be my full SE JD Smith model or my old AUS-8, full SE Catcherman. This new type of serrations is nothing short of awesome.
Laphroaig9

Post by Laphroaig9 »

MY FAMILY ALONE PURCHASED 5 KNIVES!!!

And if you do another run, we will all get at least one backup.

So there are 5 scales 8MMEDIATELY!!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Laphroaig9 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:26 pm
MY FAMILY ALONE PURCHASED 5 KNIVES!!!

And if you do another run, we will all get at least one backup.

So there are 5 scales 8MMEDIATELY!!!
GOD BLESS You Brother!!!! I hope you prosper and are able to buy 2 backups for everyone that needs one. This Cruwear Ayoob is such a masterpiece of function and great for a wide range of cutting chores and I wish everyone here in Spyderville could get one.

Keep us informed Brother and let us know how it all pans out for you.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175627857961?m ... media=COPY
I know it’s eBay. But this seller is good. 300$ is pricey. But it’s SE. just throwing it out.
MRj “Weak things break!”
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

I have a PE Ayoob, What angle do you guys recommend that I set the bevel at? I will sharpen it tomorrow on my KME.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I know sal has said more are very unlikely, but JD and all the rest of you are convincing me that it might be a good idea to do another run anyway, and I don't even have one. I've rarely seen such effusive praise.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

cabfrank wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:18 am
I know sal has said more are very unlikely, but JD and all the rest of you are convincing me that it might be a good idea to do another run anyway, and I don't even have one. I've rarely seen such effusive praise.
I'm no expert on "marketing" or "corporate sales strategies" but I do think that virtually anyone here can see that this C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run is becoming a steady selling product. And I'm not seeing it slow down in sales any time soon.

It seems like the more people that test drive this Cruwear Ayoob Sprint Run the more people that end up wanting it. Yeah I know the company has the final say on it. But if I were them I would sure consider it. And there seem to be a lot of people that now want "back up units".
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

I have two SEs and two PEs -- got one of the Collector's Club versions of each, and a regular production version of each. Truth is somewhere along the line I became a collector, which is a fine way of saying I buy way too **** many knives to be able to give most more than cursory usage. But I have the PE Ayoob out and within arm's reach right now. It's become one of my favorite knives and one of but a few folders I make regular use of these days. I also love the SE, but I only carry one at a time and it's usually the PE. I'm set for backups but I'd be chuffed to see them keep pushing more Ayoobs out. Wouldn't be surprised if they asked for a bit more coin though. The Ayoob price was considerably less than the Stretch 2 XL in the same materials.

I remember Sal saying that it'd be at least five years before they could revisit it on account of how they had other work in mind first for Moki. I also remember him saying it was a struggle to get these knives to us at all and I suspect that was an understatement. And even if he just said 'heck with it, let's give them some more Ayoobs' that we wouldn't be seeing them for years -- to such a point that they might as well just do another version of the mode as to try and rerelease the gray G-10 and CruWear version. But if and when that happens I'm down for at least one PE and one SE, no questions asked.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:32 pm
I have two SEs and two PEs -- got one of the Collector's Club versions of each, and a regular production version of each. Truth is somewhere along the line I became a collector, which is a fine way of saying I buy way too **** many knives to be able to give most more than cursory usage. But I have the PE Ayoob out and within arm's reach right now. It's become one of my favorite knives and one of but a few folders I make regular use of these days. I also love the SE, but I only carry one at a time and it's usually the PE. I'm set for backups but I'd be chuffed to see them keep pushing more Ayoobs out. Wouldn't be surprised if they asked for a bit more coin though. The Ayoob price was considerably less than the Stretch 2 XL in the same materials.

I remember Sal saying that it'd be at least five years before they could revisit it on account of how they had other work in mind first for Moki. I also remember him saying it was a struggle to get these knives to us at all and I suspect that was an understatement. And even if he just said 'heck with it, let's give them some more Ayoobs' that we wouldn't be seeing them for years -- to such a point that they might as well just do another version of the mode as to try and rerelease the gray G-10 and CruWear version. But if and when that happens I'm down for at least one PE and one SE, no questions asked.
I read your post very carefully and you shed a lot of light on this subject and I do believe you are more than likely spot on. And the last thing I would ever want to do would be to make Mr. Glesser angry. Because he did go way out of his way to give many of us hard core fans this Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob model. But in another way I can't help but to want to see more of these. Because it seems that most everyone that gets their hands on this Cruwear Ayoob Sprint Run ends up liking it about as well as I do.

The bottom line is the a lot of us are just flat out spoiled and some of us are spoiled rotten ( myself included). But whatever we can do to get in line again for more C-60 models we need to start ASAP. But to also be careful as to not rock the boat or to aggravate anyone. This Cruwear Ayoob is going to be a very much sought after for private collections. I'm willing to bet that at least half of these will never see active duty.
There will be more "Safe Queens" than there will be Cruwear Ayoobs in active duty. But I do hope that Mr. Glesser will at least consider how much we all love this masterpiece of a blade. And all we can do is to let them know how much that we really appreciate this Sprint Run.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Still loving my Ayoob, guys keep an eye out here https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025355319 they were supposed to drop some serrated versions today but are reporting Coming Soon and Estimated In-Stock: Overdue

To me this means could hit at anytime. I have decided not to get a second one as I just blew the money on a 15V PM2 so there is now one more available for the rest of you. ;)

Good Luck the knife is well worth every penny. :bug-red-white
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

Is it normal that my C60's lock bar gets pushed in a little when doing a hard cut? I noticed it recently when I was chopping up a box and did a cut while pinching the scales. Doesn't seem like it's enough to unlock itself or anything, but it's got way more play than any of my other seki knives.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

vandelay wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:14 pm
Is it normal that my C60's lock bar gets pushed in a little when doing a hard cut? I noticed it recently when I was chopping up a box and did a cut while pinching the scales. Doesn't seem like it's enough to unlock itself or anything, but it's got way more play than any of my other seki knives.
I believe so mine does it on a hard cut on the cutting board, pretty typical for Spyderco Lockbacks \ Midlocks nothing to be concerned about.

No sideways play FYI.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

BeggarSo wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:16 pm
vandelay wrote:
I believe so mine does it on a hard cut on the cutting board, pretty typical for Spyderco Lockbacks \ Midlocks nothing to be concerned about.

No sideways play FYI.
I'm used to a little blade play on back locks (aside from the chaparral which has none), but this seems a little extreme. Is there any risk of it unlocking or the lock play getting worse?
c60-lock.png
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

I do not think there is any reason for concern mine does the same thing. Is it annoying? well yes but it is also typical and not a problem, besides that if it ever did become an issue Spyderco Warranty is second to none I am certain they would fix it.

Also I have had other Spyderco knives that do this as well and have yet to have an issue. I have a very old Stretch backlock with Krayton handles that does this also and if anything were to go wrong it would have by now it is well over 10 years old and seen plenty of use.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vandelay wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:25 pm
BeggarSo wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:16 pm
vandelay wrote:

No sideways play FYI.
I'm used to a little blade play on back locks (aside from the chaparral which has none), but this seems a little extreme. Is there any risk of it unlocking or the lock play getting worse?
c60-lock.png
Just keep a really close eye on it and be certain that it doesn't get any worse. However if you have suspicions then by all means send it to Spyderco's warranty & repair department. They have never failed to make any problem completely right for me.

It is good that you watch it as close as you are because "safety" is crucial when working with any type of cutlery. I'll check my plain edged version tonight and see if I notice any problems. If I do I'll let you all know ASAP. And please do keep us posted.
MrBerle

Post by MrBerle »

Well I've been EDC'ing my PE Ayoob since I got it and I can say this is my new favorite knife. I'm definitely an SE man but I refuse to use my SE Ayoob before I've got another one. After that, I will EDC my SE Ayoob for sure.

I've put it to hard use winter camping here in Sweden and I use it for preparing food every day. Soon it's sea trout season and I'm sure the C-60 will ROCK as a fishing knife.

Of my 20 or so Spydies the Ayoobs feel the most solid, these things are absolutely bomber! No blade play at all.

This knife deserves a salt version IMO. Chapeau Mr. Ayoob, what a great knife you've designed!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MrBerle wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:49 pm
Well I've been EDC'ing my PE Ayoob since I got it and I can say this is my new favorite knife. I'm definitely an SE man but I refuse to use my SE Ayoob before I've got another one. After that, I will EDC my SE Ayoob for sure.

I've put it to hard use winter camping here in Sweden and I use it for preparing food every day. Soon it's sea trout season and I'm sure the C-60 will ROCK as a fishing knife.

Of my 20 or so Spydies the Ayoobs feel the most solid, these things are absolutely bomber! No blade play at all.

This knife deserves a salt version IMO. Chapeau Mr. Ayoob, what a great knife you've designed!
You will find the C-60 to be an excellent fishing knife. AS I said earlier in the thread I had a friend who told me a long time ago that the C-60 was his favorite knife to fillet fish with. I've used one as a hunter/folder and was very happy with it. Even as an EDC user you can't go wrong with the C-60 model.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

IS the Sprint Run officially over? Or are there still a scant few of these gems remaining on dealer's shelves? I do hope that there are still a few still available of the Cruwear Ayoob.

Also I was hoping that some of you might update us as to how you like the Cruwear Ayoob as a main EDC or maybe as a "hunter/folder". Or just a great utility folder for some specialized type of work?

Also I'm wondering if there are more fans of the fully serrated version or the plain edged version? Just in the PMs I've been getting it seems like there is a lot of love for the Spyderedged version of this particular model. That's truly a switch from most of the Sprint runs of the past 2 to 3 years. I would love to hear some comments on how the two edge types rank so far.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »