C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buddafucco

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Buddafucco »

PlainEdge back at Pure Blades... https://pureblades.com/massad-ayoob-spr ... o-c60gpgy/

And PE also back at Mr KnifeGuy... https://mrknifeguy.com/product/c60gpgy/

And still at BladeOps... https://bladeops.com/spyderco-massad-ay ... ing-knife/

I'm seeing a PlainEdge restock trend here.
Last edited by Buddafucco on Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
•• Beau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Buddafucco wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:26 pm
PlainEdge back at Pure Blades... https://pureblades.com/massad-ayoob-spr ... o-c60gpgy/

Are you basically saying that the dealers that you are aware of are starting to lean toward stocking plain edged units only? Or are the dealers still selling many of both units, but the plain edged units are obviously selling better? You seem to be more in touch with the activity of these dealers than I am or most others here are. I sure hope the enthusiasm for the serrated unit is not declining.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I wonder whether there was a 1200/1200 production run of PE/SE, or whether it was a 1200 piece run that could possibly be something like 800/400 PE/SE?

The latter could explain the seeming greater availability of PE stock vs SE.

Otherwise, if its 1:1 production for PE/SE, then it seems SE is selling faster than PE. Or dealers just ordered more PE models?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:24 pm
Buddafucco wrote:

Are you basically saying that the dealers that you are aware of are starting to lean toward stocking plain edged units only? Or are the dealers still selling many of both units, but the plain edged units are obviously selling better? You seem to be more in touch with the activity of these dealers than I am or most others here are. I sure hope the enthusiasm for the serrated unit is not declining.

I'm gonna say the dealers are just selling what they get as they get it, simple as that. It would be foolish of them to (for example) sit on SE units and not sell them in favor of pushing PE sales or visa versa, when at the end of the day stock is stock and if they don't sell all of it they're losing money. And why would a dealer even care to try to drive sales of either one? Why would a dealer have some weird agenda? I also don't think either one is selling "better than the other", because they're both completely selling out so how could we even tell? If there are 1200 pieces of both and both sell out, it can't be said that either one sold better than the other and we'll probably never know the true production numbers.

The main thing to take away from this release is that this is a certified instance of SE definitely not hurting sales and definitely selling at least at the same pace as PE. It's a rare situation because the model itself wasn't expected to be a major seller to some people, much less in SE, and it may well be a model that opens some eyes to the benefits of SE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

It's fun to read tea leaves like this but you really can't gauge how many of the models are SE just based on tracking how fast they sell out, because you don't really know the actual breakdown of people wanting a SE vs a PE and what that distribution is like vis a vis who was most excited to pick up an Ayoob. You can make guesses, certainly educated guesses based on what we see in this forum and the generally favorable sentiments toward the SE despite some irregularities here and there, but it's good to remember that we're not just Spyderco fans, we're the Spyderco fans who hang out on the forum where there's a ton of data showing that SE is incredibly useful -- meaning that we are both self selected, and we are more likely to be able to see SE as other than something that's just hard to sharpen.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I know it’s been awhile. If you follow Mr. Ayoob on the firearms periodicals that he writes for occasionally you will see that he EDCs an original one of his namesake knives and it is fully serrated. For me that is the reason why I went for the SE sprint. I figure that he’s forgotten more about self defense than I’ll ever know. And as GI Joe says, “knowing is half the battle”. :winking-tongue
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:24 pm
Buddafucco wrote:

Nope.
It is just an observation. Of the many dealers that I keep tabs on... They initially hit the dealers and it appears that they were getting a fairly equal amount of PE vs SE. About 5ish of each. All but one place sold out of both edge types. Now after a little lull... The PlainEdge are reappearing at some of those same dealers.

Like Mark said... the PE vs SE ratio is unknown to us. So there could be more PlainEdge coming than SpyderEdge. I think there was a poll thread started a while back?.. Or maybe it's buried in this thread? I can't remember exactly what Sal said about it. But I don't think we ever found out anything definitive.

And like David said... The dealers are just going to put the knives up for sale that Spyderco sends them.

And like resonanzmacher said... We're definitely over thinking this! I tend to do that. :beaming-face
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

And I should also add... There are several dealers that I haven't seen any Ayoobs at. So i don't think all the SpyderEdge are gone just yet.
•• Beau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:19 pm
And I should also add... There are several dealers that I haven't seen any Ayoobs at. So i don't think all the SpyderEdge are gone just yet.
Again we can't thank you enough for all the great help you've given us and timely information you've provided. You absolutely helped a lot of people on this Forum and probably a few others who also kept up with this thread.

Just another example of how cooperative and helpful this community has been over the years.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:00 am
Just another example of how cooperative and helpful this community has been over the years.
Yeah. A lot of places that will sell you things see 'community' as 'the people who buy our stuff' and they see 'interacting with community' as 'finding ways to sell them more stuff' and they have these horribly ersatz online communities complete with people who go around on it working for the company pretending to be enthusiastic buyers and yadda yadda. And people will participate in it but everyone knows how fake it all is.

This place, you not only don't see that, you DO see community members actually doing solids for others in the community. You get the sense that the Spyderco folks here are interested in letting their community be their community and letting THAT work for them in its own way instead of trying to co-opt everything the community does in order to push sales and hype. Instead of corporate officers constantly dangling new exclusive sales in front of us, they've figured out that if they stay out of our way, forum folks will take ownership of that and start gathering and sharing that info, and if anything they just come in with some color commentary on whatever we're discussing as we share that info.

Put it like this -- with the 'snaggletooth' issue/nonissue we're seeing on SE Ayoobs? I know a number of online forums that would have closed the thread down over that or sent in a bunch of participants to steer the conversation in some other way while bashing the people who had an issue, right? Instead we have Sal come in with some consumer kaizen and instead of sending cease and desist letters suddenly we all know the story. And instead of feeling like we all got fed some corporate nonsense, it still stays real for us. Now, a guy in Sal's position that can call upon fifty years of sales experience, that's something he knows how to do, right? But when you look at the community response, the willingness and even ability to engage higher up the ladder of Maslow's hierarchy, that's definitely not the norm online. There's a maturity to it all that lets stuff like the Ayoob Campaign take root in the first place. And I can tell you, as someone who's been on the Web since before it was a web, that's pretty special and not something you find online much at all.

Pretty cool, not gonna lie.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Wow man, extremely well said. I have nothing more to add, except that I agree and that this is a large part of why I enjoy hanging out here and virtually no other "social" media places.
MNOSD member 0030
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

SpyderEdge:
Grommet's Knife & Carry... Priced a bit higher... https://knifeandcarry.com/product/spyde ... 10-handle/

Edit: Out of stock
•• Beau
filleep

Post by filleep »

:bug-red So pleased I got one.
Initially disappointed with Howgill (gently rounded range of English hills) serrations, but cuts so well.
Attachments
c1_IMG-20220923-WA0000_     1836cc67ce1_4.jpeg
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear filleep:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

filleep wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:56 pm
:bug-red So pleased I got one.
Initially disappointed with Howgill (gently rounded range of English hills) serrations, but cuts so well.
I find the Ayoob, even with this one’s saber-grind, surprisingly good in the kitchen.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
filleep

Post by filleep »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:56 am
Dear filleep:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Cheers
ovgcguy

Post by ovgcguy »

I cut up by first steak while backpacking with the PE this weekend. I like it way more than my Para3LW as a steak knife. The large radius belly makes for very smooth cutting. This will be my new backpacking knife for trips less than ~12 miles (but the UL nerd in me must take the Para3 to save 3.2oz for longer hikes, so it still has a purpose in my lineup)

The grippyness of the G10 is so great I think I am going to sell off my OG ayoob because I dont believe in Safe Queens. I buy things to use them and the slick scales of the OG just dont instill confidence in me under less than ideal conditions.

The PE has been in my pocket frequently because I am still wary to sharpen the laser sharp SE. But after hearing the SE touched up nicely maybe I'll take the plunge and use it more for daily tasks. That is good feedback.

I was a luke-warm knife collector prior to the ayoob sprint, but I have really fallen in love with this knife that I get it now. Also one of the most satisfying to flick. The lockup is so secure and tight. Great snap to it.

I hope the Ayoob makes its way back into a semi-regular sprint run every 1-4 years going forward with different steels and colors of G10 (ghost green g10 with Magnacut DLC blade anyone? I love that combo). This one seems to be selling well enough to justify a resurrection every couple years.

The Cruwear has had a few days worth of pocket sweat on it from the on-and-off heatwave we've had and shows no patina, rust, or spotting so far. Overall I am very happy with its stain resistance so far, as I was a tad worried about that but see no ill effects from sweat/water/meat yet.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

PE in stock at Knife Center https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP60GP ... 10-handles now shows as out of stock.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ovgcguy wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:59 pm
I cut up by first steak while backpacking with the PE this weekend. I like it way more than my Para3LW as a steak knife. The large radius belly makes for very smooth cutting. This will be my new backpacking knife for trips less than ~12 miles (but the UL nerd in me must take the Para3 to save 3.2oz for longer hikes, so it still has a purpose in my lineup)

The grippyness of the G10 is so great I think I am going to sell off my OG ayoob because I dont believe in Safe Queens. I buy things to use them and the slick scales of the OG just dont instill confidence in me under less than ideal conditions.

I hope the Ayoob makes its way back into a semi-regular sprint run every 1-4 years going forward with different steels and colors of G10 (ghost green g10 with Magnacut DLC blade anyone? I love that combo). This one seems to be selling well enough to justify a resurrection every couple years.
This newer/better grade of G-10 makes it an ideal EDC folder. I was already completely sold on G-10 but this newer/better G-10 handle is the best I've seen up till now.

Also the belly on both the PE & SE edges has proven to have great advantages for a wide range of cutting jobs. The "belly" part of the blade is just one of many features that sets apart this great C-60 Ayoob model.

That was my ultimate dream to see this C-60 Ayoob return as a full production model. However Spyderco has made it clear that they are going to focus on other newer projects at this time. And that's understandable for them to prioritize the newer pipeline of products that they have been working on.

However I do feel that this C-60 Sprint Run has truly gotten the attention of many who were not previously aware of how nice of a design the C-60 has proven to be. I do feel like this Sprint Run has been a notable success from several vantage points. I do hope at some point we will see this model appear again by popular demand later on at some point. Because we have certainly seen the C-60 attain a rise in popularity and it has for sure gained many new fans.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau