C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

Recently I launched a thread asking you folks which 3 of the older models you all would like to see in a Sprint Run. The one model that just kept coming up over and over again was the C-60 Ayoob model. It just makes perfect sense to take a hard look at a deluxe version of this great classic. There is such a huge cult following for this model that I just can't shut up.

A C-60 Ayoob with a supersteel blade and possibly a carbon fiber handle would be a super Sprint Run. Oh I could be content with a good grade of G-10 for a handle but I'm just trying to be creative. I know I'm not the only one here that would love to see the Ayoob come back in a deluxe version.

Absolutely I would want to see it available in SE & PE again as well. I do hope they haven't destroyed the tooling and layout for this great icon of Spyder-History. Let's talk about the possibility of the return of the C-60 Ayoob :cool:
V-1.5 aka V-1

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by V-1.5 aka V-1 »

I'm completely onboard with it! I have one SE version that has been used and abused for years. I love everything about it except for the aluminum handle, it can get pretty slick. I have another PE version that is basically NIB. It's such a well thought out functional design that excels as an EDC.
I'd love to get a Sprint Run with a G10 handle and SE blade. Color and steel type wouldn't matter to me.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I’d like to see this happen for sure. My brother has the original version (in PE, I believe) and I’ve always kicked myself for not getting one when they were still readily available. I’d be all over an SE version too. I’m not too picky on handle or blade materials, but I’d probably lean more towards a stainless steel on a Sprint, like CPM-154 or even XHP.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm in for a SE version.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:54 am
I’d like to see this happen for sure. My brother has the original version (in PE, I believe) and I’ve always kicked myself for not getting one when they were still readily available. I’d be all over an SE version too. I’m not too picky on handle or blade materials, but I’d probably lean more towards a stainless steel on a Sprint, like CPM-154 or even XHP.
Hey XHP would be OK with me too. Because I do know for a fact that XHP makes for a good blade steel for Spyderedges. That way they could do the XHP in PE & SE too.

The best G-10 that money can buy would be A-OK for me for handle material. However I've dreamed about a Carbon Fiber Ayoob in some of my sweetest dreams. But what the heck. They could do the blade in M390 and you wouldn't hear one complaint from this ol' SpyderHead :cool:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

SE LC200N, anybody?

We can't have corrosion slowing us down, while slicin' fools!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have an original in SE and a sprint in PE, so I'm not likely to buy another. However, I still encourage Spyderco to make another sprint for those who have missed out.

"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:05 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:54 am
Hey XHP would be OK with me too. Because I do know for a fact that XHP makes for a good blade steel for Spyderedges. That way they could do the XHP in PE & SE too.

The best G-10 that money can buy would be A-OK for me for handle material. However I've dreamed about a Carbon Fiber Ayoob in some of my sweetest dreams. But what the heck. They could do the blade in M390 and you wouldn't hear one complaint from this ol' SpyderHead :cool:
For sure! M390 and Blue G-10...might be a job for Bento Box, eh? ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:56 am
I'm in for a SE version.
After Doc Snubnose did his extensive test with his SE version of the Ayoob on actual meat carcasses it really impressed me when he told us of his results. Others have gone on record saying that the SE version of the Ayoob is one of the best if not thee best Spyderedged model ever.

Oh it would be only half of a dream come true if they only did it in PE. A Spyderedged version in at least 25% of the run would be ideal. I'm all but certain that many SE models would sell quickly. With more and more collectors now going for Spyderedged models to add to their collections it just makes perfect sense. We aren't getting enough models in SE as it is IMO.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:07 am
SE LC200N, anybody?

We can't have corrosion slowing us down, while slicin' fools!
That's a very interesting suggestion :cool: Especially with all the people at one time that were crying out for a Salt version of the Ayoob model. Yeah they could make the serrated version with LC200N and give it a nuclear colored handle.
benben

Post by benben »

Evil D wrote:
I'm in for a SE version.
I'm with David here, serrated please! Of course that's easy for me to say since I just found a pristine OG plain edge a couple of weeks ago! I haven't been screaming for a Ayoob sprint quite as loud lately! ;) But I'm still with you JD, I'd be all over a SE sprint!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’m on board.

LC200N, please. I’ll take it in Caribbean-like SE, but really would prefer PE, so I can appreciate the cutting-power of extreme negative blade-angle in isolation.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JMM

Post by JMM »

I'm pretty sure JD knows where I stand on this subject, I've said it before & I'll say it again: My #1 & #2 most wanted reboots from the past are the Ulize & Ayoob. For both models my absolute dream would be...

Tool steel like 4V, Rex45, K390, 10V, or Cruwear -- any one (or more) of these.
G10 or CF scales
Both PE & SE variants for each model

...perhaps an exclusive could bring in something like S90V, M390, or LC200N with a cool scale material/colour?

"When you wish upon a star..." :D

Cheers,

John
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Id take it in any version available. Se or pe, any steel, doesnt matter.

Would like to see a sprint or something.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:09 am
Evil D wrote:
I'm in for a SE version.
After Doc Snubnose did his extensive test with his SE version of the Ayoob on actual meat carcasses it really impressed me when he told us of his results. Others have gone on record saying that the SE version of the Ayoob is one of the best if not thee best Spyderedged model ever.

Oh it would be only half of a dream come true if they only did it in PE. A Spyderedged version in at least 25% of the run would be ideal. I'm all but certain that many SE models would sell quickly. With more and more collectors now going for Spyderedged models to add to their collections it just makes perfect sense. We aren't getting enough models in SE as it is IMO.

It's going to do a lot of damage regardless of edge type because it translates so much leverage into a slash. I could see where it could even be TOO much, I bet it could allow the knife to twist in your hand if you hit a target at an angle. It's probably really good for thrusts though.

Of course my interest is utility first and self defense like 5th or 12th or something like that. The design just looks extremely user friendly and ergonomic. I typically don't want anywhere near that much belly in my blades because it usually means the blade tip is really upswept, but this design allows for a lot of belly and a low blade tip which is nearly impossible to find in pocket knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JMM wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:39 am
I'm pretty sure JD knows where I stand on this subject, I've said it before & I'll say it again: My #1 & #2 most wanted reboots from the past are the Ulize & Ayoob. For both models my absolute dream would be...

Tool steel like 4V, Rex45, K390, 10V, or Cruwear -- any one (or more) of these.
G10 or CF scales
Both PE & SE variants for each model

...perhaps an exclusive could bring in something like S90V, M390, or LC200N with a cool scale material/colour?

"When you wish upon a star..." :D

Cheers,

John
I'm so much in agreement with everything you said I didn't even cut short anything you said. I'll also give you a high five on the ULIZE but in SE>> I really never wanted a ULIZE in PE. But the Ayoob is one that I most definitely want in both edge types.
I've wanted to see Spyderco make at least one or two of their great Recurves in SE and the ULIZE would be one of my top picks in Spyderedge for sure.

I also like your rundown of blade steel selections. I can't see one that wouldn't be good used on the Ayoob model IMO. Then only problem is that you stopped short on a handle material selection :D >> but that's cool because I've got a feeling that this thread won't be out of fuel anytime soon :cool: MY 2 favs for the handle would be peel ply Carbon Fiber or high end G-10.
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

I am on board with this Campaign 110%. The original SE version is already in my collection, but I would buy another one (maybe two) without hesitation. Oh, and David; please don't shut up. :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:06 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:09 am
Evil D wrote:
I'm in for a SE version.

It's going to do a lot of damage regardless of edge type because it translates so much leverage into a slash. I could see where it could even be TOO much, I bet it could allow the knife to twist in your hand if you hit a target at an angle. It's probably really good for thrusts though.

Of course my interest is utility first and self defense like 5th or 12th or something like that. The design just looks extremely user friendly and ergonomic. I typically don't want anywhere near that much belly in my blades because it usually means the blade tip is really upswept, but this design allows for a lot of belly and a low blade tip which is nearly impossible to find in pocket knives.
David I wish you have been in the Spyderville community when this model was in it's "star-studded-moment". Because just about every knife magazine I was taking at the time were mostly all writing articles about this great C-60 Ayoob model.

Most of the articles were pointing out the self defense aspects of the blade. One magazine article I read had quoted Massad Ayoob himself ( the designer) said he wanted a pocket knife that felt as though he was holding a hand gun. I think he did achieve that for sure. But the geometry of the overall design makes that knife one of the most versatile folders I've ever used. I would be EDCing one of mine at this time if it had steel better than VG-10. Give me a choice VG-10 and M390 and it's certainly a "no-brainer".

You are right about most everything you said. And the PE & SE are completely different animals even though they have the same overall design. It's amazing what both edge types can do with this C-60 Ayoob model. I'm a bit surprised that the C-60 didn't become one of Spyderco's perpetual flagship models like the POLICE, Delica, Endura, Harpy ect. We've just got to convince Mr. Glesser that this is one model that deserves another chance at the box office with upgraded materials.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Count me in!! ☺️☺️☺️
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:00 pm
Count me in!! ☺️☺️☺️
I just already knew in my gut that you would be "thumbs up" on this one. There are about 4 other guys I'm sure will jump on this elite bandwagon.

When you consider all the newbies we've picked up here on the Forum>> and all the new knife enthusiasts over the past 5 years or so>> and most all of these new aficionados have never had their hands on one.

Right now this is thee one model in Sprint Run I want the most>> I don't think I'm alone either.