C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by ladybug93 »

that looks sick and makes me kind of wish i had bought a pe to mod.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I must admit that I find those VEFF serrations somewhat intriguing. But I'm not sure what the advantages would be over what I currently have now. And the serration pattern on this new Cruwear Ayoob model do just about everything I need to get done so far. But I might just look into the VEFF option at some point.

The C-60 Ayoob is so versatile and there are so many possibilities and options. I'm just glad that we finally got it. I'm still wide open as to what my next target model is going to be. But I am going to keep focused on models from that era. I was sincerely hoping that it would go over so good that Spyderco might have been tempted to put the C-60 back into production again.

The serration pattern in the Cruwear Ayoob performs nicely and I would love a fillet knife of some sort with that same pattern.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:46 am
I must admit that I find those VEFF serrations somewhat intriguing. But I'm not sure what the advantages would be over what I currently have now. And the serration pattern on this new Cruwear Ayoob model do just about everything I need to get done so far. But I might just look into the VEFF option at some point.

The C-60 Ayoob is so versatile and there are so many possibilities and options. I'm just glad that we finally got it. I'm still wide open as to what my next target model is going to be. But I am going to keep focused on models from that era. I was sincerely hoping that it would go over so good that Spyderco might have been tempted to put the C-60 back into production again.

The serration pattern in the Cruwear Ayoob performs nicely and I would love a fillet knife of some sort with that same pattern.
Yeah I'm extremely impressed with the shallow SE pattern of the Ayoob, and I'm not rushing out to have Veff's done on my PE.

But the concept is interesting. To my eye, the goal of the Veff is to absolutely Maximize the pull cutting ability of the blade. Basically each scallop is like a mini strap cutter, designed to hook and exert tremendous pressure on anything caught in the pull cut.

So when sharp, I bet these are a 'one pull, once cut' pattern against things like seatbelts or rope.

The downside to me seems several
-If dull, the 'hook' will become a dramatic snag issue
-The pull cut optimization seems to negate the ability of the blade to be 'sawed' forward and backward through material (such as my palm fronds)
-Not sure, but the Veffs look like theyd be more challenging to sharpen on the sharpmaker?

Still, they look cool as ****, and I'd love to see how they perform. And given the obscurity of both the Ayoob and Veff serrations, seeing them combined is really a delightful surprise.

No worries about bumping into another guy with the same knife, thats for sure ;)
Spyder & I

Post by Spyder & I »

Both available at houseofknives.ca at the moment
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

1 SpyderEdge at City Arsenal ($2 more + I think there might be a shipping charge)... https://cityarsenal.com/product/spyderc ... e-c60gsgy/

I don't know much about them. They are an indoor gun range with gun shop in South Carolina. They are on the Dealer Locator list.
•• Beau
tactikool

Post by tactikool »

Plain edge available to pre order from Indiana Knives. Shipment en route from Spyderco slated to ship out no later than November 9th.

https://indianaknives.com/products/spyd ... plain-edge
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

Interesting! I wonder how many more are still slated to hit the market.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:29 pm
Interesting! I wonder how many more are still slated to hit the market.
Yeah that would be interesting to know. I'm kind of surprised that there are still that many left on dealer's shelves at this time. But I do highly recommend for those who have not snagged one yet to act immediately.

The Cruwear Ayoob may not set a record for a Spyderco Sprint Run but I do think it's one of the more interesting Sprint Runs for sure.

I wonder how we could find out if there are more to still hit the market at this date? But they sure don't sit on shelves very long.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

SpyderEdge... Kaviso... https://www.kaviso.com/collections/spyd ... un-c60gsgy
They are on the Dealer Locator List

Edit: Out of stock
Last edited by Buddafucco on Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

Says one left in stock, so best get at it.

Interesting looking seller. Never heard of them before.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:07 pm

There were two... I'm going to be the guinea pig. :beaming-face They don't get much Spyderco inventory very often but everything seems on the up and up. I gifted my perfect SpyderEdge to a good guy in need of a good knife. So this is the first time I've repurchased a Spyderco.
•• Beau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:18 pm
resonanzmacher wrote:

There were two... I'm going to be the guinea pig. :beaming-face They don't get much Spyderco inventory very often but everything seems on the up and up. I gifted my perfect SpyderEdge to a good guy in need of a good knife. So this is the first time I've repurchased a Spyderco.
It truly bothers me in a way when I think that this might be the last C-60 Ayoob made. Such a great iconic model that the newer customers and collectors might never get the chance to own and enjoy one.

I do hope that there will be more C-60 Ayoob models down the road with different blade steels and maybe different handle materials. Because this C-60 Ayoob is a most unique ergonomic design and so many people have never realized all the brain work that went into this design. LONG LIVE THE C-60 AYOOB!!!
tactikool

Post by tactikool »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:18 pm
resonanzmacher wrote:

Kaviso is good to go. I’ve ordered from them before. The way I understand it they took over a lot of the knife related projects from Massdrop. I have one of Laconico Keens (WE Knives OEM) from Kaviso, great design and value.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

tactikool wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:40 pm
Kaviso is good to go. I’ve ordered from them before. The way I understand it they took over a lot of the knife related projects from Massdrop. I have one of Laconico Keens (WE Knives OEM) from Kaviso, great design and value.
See, that's interesting. I say that because Massdrop definitely sold their knife and EDC lineup to Amazon, and I see that Kaviso apparently is already a large scale Amazon retailer. Wonder if, like happened with Massdrop and apparently happens a lot these days, Amazon is now the silent partner in Kaviso, if not the actual owner.

There's definitely something to that -- Kaviso definitely does look like they're selling some of the knives Massdrop used to and then for a while were only available through an Amazon store. Interestingly it looks like Drop Keens are still available on Amazon, despite the new Keens being available through Kaviso.

I own a few Massdrop knives and I was generally happy with them all -- they were mostly WE and Reate OEM pieces, with at least one Pro-tech. But their customer service was nonexistent, their shipping pace was glacial and they had a bad habit of buying runs of returned knives and selling them as new. Hopefully Kaviso does a better job there!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Veff serrations are okay but I prefer spyderedge. The SE will cut both ways and the Veff won't from my experience. They look pretty awesome on a spyderhawk though.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:05 am
PlainEdge:
KnifeWorks... https://knifeworks.com/syderco-massad-a ... c60gpgy-1/

Northwest Knives... https://northwestknives.com/collections ... de-c60gpgy
The Northwest page says 16 PE in stock.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:15 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:05 am
PlainEdge:
KnifeWorks... https://knifeworks.com/syderco-massad-a ... c60gpgy-1/

Northwest Knives... https://northwestknives.com/collections ... de-c60gpgy
The Northwest page says 16 PE in stock.
The factory must actually have more in the warehouse than I thought they did. I thought they might be getting near to the end of the supply about now. But it seems like we are at the point to where you've got to make an effort to find one in stock somewhere with either edge type.

It would appear that the SE units are selling about even with the PE. Or it would seem so. I'm sure glad I added both edge types to the original request. The SE pattern on this Cruwear Ayoob is a cutter's dream blade. Only the AUS-8, full SE Catcherman has a pattern about as good IMO.

But I would say at this point if anyone still wants a Cruwear Ayoob they better pull the trigger ASAP.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

PlainEdge... American Flags & Cutlery... https://americanflagsandcutlery.com/kni ... ing-knife/
•• Beau
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:34 pm
PlainEdge... American Flags & Cutlery... https://americanflagsandcutlery.com/kni ... ing-knife/
I see a Coming Soon tab there in the corner for this one. Not sure they're in stock.