C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderForLyfe

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:45 am
I have always thought the design was unusual but not ugly and really prefer less hump in a blade and handle seemed so odd . It wasn’t until I had one in hand that I realized it is a knife of functional beauty. The knife feels very natural in hand once I became accustomed to the hump . Actually taught me a valuable lesson , handle a knife before you have a true opinion . MG2
I'm definitely going to have to grab one next time they're available. Is there a compression lock version by any chance? Or does the design make this an easy 1H open/close?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:00 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
I have always thought the design was unusual but not ugly and really prefer less hump in a blade and handle seemed so odd . It wasn’t until I had one in hand that I realized it is a knife of functional beauty. The knife feels very natural in hand once I became accustomed to the hump . Actually taught me a valuable lesson , handle a knife before you have a true opinion . MG2
I'm definitely going to have to grab one next time they're available. Is there a compression lock version by any chance? Or does the design make this an easy 1H open/close?
it's definitely a shorter travel to open and close due to the negative angle. i usually close by putting my thumb on the lock and using my index finger on the opposite side of the opening hole that i would use to open it. not sure if that makes sense or not.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:10 am
it's definitely a shorter travel to open and close due to the negative angle. i usually close by putting my thumb on the lock and using my index finger on the opposite side of the opening hole that i would use to open it. not sure if that makes sense or not.
It does make sense. And that's good to know. What about Spydie-flicking it open? I had a lot of trouble with my native, for example (and that's understandable) so I thought the Native Chief would be easier to flick open (and technically it is) but it's still not that great. As a result, I don't carry it too often, which is a shame, because it's otherwise a great knife. I've just grown accustomed to quickly flicking open my EDC. Perhaps the PM2, Manix, Shaman, and the like have spoiled me in that regard.

I know a lockback will never be quite as easy to flick open as a compression or cage lock, but if it's reasonable (and better than the Native Chief) I'll likely deal with it and carry it regularly.

Not too worried about closing as much as opening. Even the Native Chief, I've got one-handed closing down to a science. I usually just put my forefinger closer to the pivot to stop the blade from crashing down while I flick it closed. It's effective, and I haven't chopped a finger off yet, so I'm good with that.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ladybug93 wrote:
SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:00 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thanks LB , me too . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:39 am
ladybug93 wrote:
It does make sense. And that's good to know. What about Spydie-flicking it open? I had a lot of trouble with my native, for example (and that's understandable) so I thought the Native Chief would be easier to flick open (and technically it is) but it's still not that great. As a result, I don't carry it too often, which is a shame, because it's otherwise a great knife. I've just grown accustomed to quickly flicking open my EDC. Perhaps the PM2, Manix, Shaman, and the like have spoiled me in that regard.

I know a lockback will never be quite as easy to flick open as a compression or cage lock, but if it's reasonable (and better than the Native Chief) I'll likely deal with it and carry it regularly.

Not too worried about closing as much as opening. Even the Native Chief, I've got one-handed closing down to a science. I usually just put my forefinger closer to the pivot to stop the blade from crashing down while I flick it closed. It's effective, and I haven't chopped a finger off yet, so I'm good with that.
it flicks easier than a native, but still not as good as detent locks. with the shorter travel, it's real quick to open with the standard thumb roll and it actually puts it in a better position for this knife, in my opinion. that's part of why i intended to keep it tip down and to get my thumb in place to open it as i draw it out. i think this knife was designed specifically with that motion in mind and it feels more natural to me that any other method of deployment, despite the fact that i use literally every other knife tip up and with a spydie flick.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Most of my knives are tip up but Ayoob seems very natural in tip down as you have posted . Mine opens very smoothly no complaints. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:48 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
don't judge a knife by it's stock photo. :rofl
Or a book by it's cover OR a blind date by the pop bottle eye glasses she's wearing OR what a plate of food looks like on the menu.... yep you could go on and on with that diatribe.

To me though The C-60 Ayoos is strictly designed with "functional aspects" instead of just looking stylish. The C-60 has a beauty all it's own and Spyderco is probably the only knife company that would have ever sold this model. I've had people tell me that they would never buy one of Spyderco's full SE blades because the serrations look "ugly">> yeah forget any functional advantages you might have it's all about looks.

Actually I've had people in the past tell me that they would never buy any Spyderco blade because of their unique appearance. But for years Spyderco has proven that "function" has a beauty all it's own and the C-60 Ayoob is a prime example of a functional design versus a blade designed based on pure aesthetics.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Basko00 wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:01 pm
Form follows function.

And ugly girls need love, too.

They’re made incredibly well. This run of C-60’s was custom quality.
I couldn't have said it better myself. A design with pure function being the primary objective did not come about easily. And going against the grain of those in the knife community has most certainly ran up against some resistance.

If people knew the time and effort that Mr. Massad Ayoob put into this design I seriously doubt that there wouldn't be so many
detractors and critics of the design as there are. But in a way that might just be a good thing. When I got my first C-60 all the way back to 2002 I actually had to use to to appreciate the full functional aspects of the design of the C-60 model.

The extremely rapid sales of this Sprint Run sure speaks volumes to me. So apparently there are a lot of people that like the design in spite of it's unique design.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Beauty is in the eye if the beholder. And my eye sees beauty in the Ayoob.

Speaking of which - after countless boxes and plastic packagings the time is coming for the first sharpening. Inam a little nervous 😁 don’t want to damage that perfect serration pattern.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

Go for it Matus. I also worked the PE tip.

benben

Post by benben »

This past Friday afternoon I spent less than a minute touching my Ayoob SE up on my Sharpmaker....later that night watching TV and being stupid I let it snap shut on the tips of my right ring and middle fingers, IT WILL CUT!!

The thin scales is what got me, those two fingertips were just barely hanging over the handle opening and the blade taught those two fingers a valuable lesson!!
Basko00

Post by Basko00 »

I’ve quoted this from Sal before and I’ll quote it again. I think it speaks volumes to the extensive personal effort he went to in having this Sprint Run made. While there probably is, I don't know of any other other models with this sort of backstory. I know there is so much more behind this story, and I’d love to hear it in detail, but he’s a busy man. I believe as strongly as JD does, that this is a very special Spyderco and a most collectible one. I bought multiples of this C-60 for that reason. I’ll say it again, this Ayoob is one of the most nicely finished and well made Spyderco’s I’ve owned in 30 years. If you can find one, I encourage you to buy it. If you don’t like it, trust me, you’ll have no problem moving it.

“Re: Sal, what are your thoughts on the SE pattern on the new Ayoob?
by sal » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:05 pm

Talkin' Story;

We began working with this maker in 1988. At the time, they were considered by most experts, even in Japan to be THE premier quality knife maker in the world. It is/was a small family business consisting of the "Old Man", who was the driving force. He had more than 80 patents on his designs and they produced a small number pieces.

The "Old Man's" wife handled the office. There were two sons. One handled sales (#2 son) and one handled the factory with his father (#1 son). His wife also helped with the office.

Then one day, with no warning, the Father had a stroke and was no longer able to work. The Father's wife had to stop working to take care of the Father. Now the sons are running the company with the Patriarch and the Patriarch's Wife no longer involved. Very challenging, even devastating. They had one major lower quality customer (A Hardware chain) that carried the company. A few special customers like Spyderco and their normal consumer direct line.

Then "The Rains came". In one year, the Father passed away. The Mother passed away. #1 son had a stroke, and #1's son's wife passed away. Now the Grandson is running the factory and he really wasn't ready. Then the main Hardware chain found a less expensive supplier. The family was devastated.

We brought the Grandson to our factory in Golden to try to get him better trained and brought into the 21st Century manufacturing. Ir has been a long road and they are beginning to get back on track which pleases us and we're helping.

All of the people that headed up and made the original model 11 years ago are no longer alive, and this project was a major mountain to climb just to be able to make them. We're very proud of their achievement in this Sprint, while not perfect, is a major milestone in their rebirth. Those of you that are disappointed, you have my apologies, and if you are not pleased to accept the "funky tooth", you should return the piece and let someone else have it. We will not likely make this model again as we encourage and help the family restore their skill.

sal”

Only a man like Sal Glesser could have made this project happen. I’m glad he was that man, because sure I dig this knife. Almost as much as the greatest Spyderco folder of all time, the Military. :bug-red-white :usflag

edit to add- The Sprint Run S90v Yojumbo is pretty awesome, too. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Basko00 wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:57 pm
I’ve quoted this from Sal before and I’ll quote it again. I think it speaks volumes to the extensive personal effort he went to in having this Sprint Run made. While there probably is, I don't know of any other other models with this sort of backstory. I know there is so much more behind this story, and I’d love to hear it in detail, but he’s a busy man. I believe as strongly as JD does, that this is a very special Spyderco and a most collectible one.

Only a man like Sal Glesser could have made this project happen. I’m glad he was that man, because sure I dig this knife. Almost as much as the greatest Spyderco folder of all time, the Military. :bug-red-white :usflag
Well said in regards to Mr. Glesser and his continuing story about how he created a cutlery company that specializes in unique and unorthodox blade designs.

I've said it before and I'll continue to maintain that Spyderco is one of the very few companies that would have even dare taken on a design like the C-60 Ayoob model. Not to mention there are virtually no company owners that would take input from their end line users to the extent that they do. But Spyderco is the polar opposite in that they seem to really enjoy the input they get from their fans and end line users.

Without going into finite detail it's fair to say that Spyderco is a company that truly accommodates the desires of their most ardent fans and supporters. Their collaborations with custom designers are second to none. The C-60 model being one huge example.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

Old guy I know, friend of the fam, retired designer, artist, avid sailor, used to say ‘Beauty is the promise of function”. Turns out he was quoting Horatio Greenough, an architect and artist who was a friend of Ralph Waldo Emerson and James Fenimore Cooper and an early proponent of the functionalist movement in architecture.

You kind of have to have your own sense of what beauty is, what beautiful means, to properly dig that statement. A lot of people adopt their standards of beauty from the consensus of other people; the idea that something as nonstandard and jarringly different as the Ayoob might be beautiful strikes them as embarrassing more than anything else, the sort of statement that gets one clowned upon. For them, to consider trying to rep an Ayoob is to consider being mocked by their buddies and coworkers. It’s both common and understandable human behavior even if one disagrees with it.

That’s not to say that one must be some kinda lemming if they find the Ayoob to be an unattractive knife. Indeed there are lots of ways to approach it. But if you find the Ayoob to be beautiful, as I do, I bet you were nodding your head from the moment you first read ‘Beauty is the promise of function’.

It’s something I’m willing to bet that a lot of Spyderco fans get.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Very well put my Brother! As I said in a couple of earlier posts I find that any knife that is "functional and practical" as well as being extremely useful to have a beauty that very few "non-knife" people would ever appreciate.

This is one of the biggest reasons I've found this C-60 Ayoob to be such a favorite of mine over the years. Because it is truly one of the most functional and useful folding knives I've ever owned and used. There are just so many different types of cutting jobs that the C-60 can do really well.

Personally over the years I've found that the C-60 Ayoob really grows on you as you use it and get to know it better. It's been one of my top 3 favorite Spyderco folders of all time for many years now. I sure hope this Cruwear version isn't the last of this great model.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Asking for a friend …. which MA is better for edc, PE or SE?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my personal opinion is that this knife only looks right in se. it cuts like a beast too. even a snaggletooth can't hold it back.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Your friend wants the SE.

The PE is nice, but the SE?

Ç’est Magnifique!
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:32 pm
my personal opinion is that this knife only looks right in se. it cuts like a beast too. even a snaggletooth can't hold it back.
I am opposite. I think it looks better in PE. I'm just glad there is no right or wrong to this question! They both cut incredibly well, even more so with a reprofile.
Last edited by troutinCO on Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ovgcguy

Post by ovgcguy »

I have both and think of them like children. They're different but equally good.

Cruwear plain edge can get wicked sharp, and I haven't even thinned it from its thick factory edge. I can get it to push cut paper with a 25* edge and thick blade which is impressive.

The serrated cuts more stuff better than almost any regular pocket knife in general. It is an ultimate matter separator that excels at its design intent.

I carry SE 2:1