C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Matus »

That is really good to hear that Spyderco introduced small improvements with the past sprint run and I guess they will do the same this time (even if it may not be obvious to the eye).
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
benben

Post by benben »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:23 pm
Matus wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:17 am
Could anyone please let me know how thick is the handle of the original Ayoob? I am thinking to make a mockup out of plywood just to get a rough idea how the handle would fit my hand. It won't be perfect, but better then nothing and a sensible check before importing a knife from US and finding out that I am not compatible with it at all ...
I do know that the 2011 Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob is just slightly thicker than the original 2002 model. Which was one of the nice selling points that made me like that model even more than I already did. Plus G-10 made for a much better grip/purchase than the original first run Aluminum/almite handle had.

But G-10 is the ideal handle material for a new Ayoob model IMO.. The 2011 Sprint Run was such a great improvement overall in grip, performance and the ability to handle when in wet, demanding conditions. I have no doubt that this newest edition is going to be much better yet for hard user/EDC.
I 100% agree with you on G-10 being the optimal handle material, but I would have never ever guessed I would like those aluminum scales as much as I do!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dazen wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:06 am
I think Cruwear is going to be an awesome SE steel. Tough, semi-stainless and easier to sharpen.

It has been discussed adnozium about the cost earlier in this thread. No matter the steel it is G10 out of Japan and that makes it pricey. This WILL be a $200+ knife. I do remember something about just the scales being made in the states but I could be wrong.
I truly hope you're right about Cruwear being a decent blade steel for serrated blades. Because when I finally got to use a fully serrated blade made with XHP I was surprised how good it turned out to be with TEETH.>> that is of course if they are also going to use Cruwear for the serrated version>> I haven't yet got confirmation on that.

But we will soon find out. I believe that Cruwear will make the new Sprint Run Ayoob model a superb "user blade" for plain edged Every Day Carry (EDC)>> and it sure could be great for SE blades as well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:59 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Matus wrote:
Could anyone please let me know how thick is the handle of the original Ayoob? I am thinking to make a mockup out of plywood just to get a rough idea how the handle would fit my hand. It won't be perfect, but better then nothing and a sensible check before importing a knife from US and finding out that I am not compatible with it at all ...
I do know that the 2011 Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob is just slightly thicker than the original 2002 model. Which was one of the nice selling points that made me like that model even more than I already did. Plus G-10 made for a much better grip/purchase than the original first run Aluminum/almite handle had.

But G-10 is the ideal handle material for a new Ayoob model IMO.. The 2011 Sprint Run was such a great improvement overall in grip, performance and the ability to handle when in wet, demanding conditions. I have no doubt that this newest edition is going to be much better yet for hard user/EDC.
I 100% agree with you on G-10 being the optimal handle material, but I would have never ever guessed I would like those aluminum scales as much as I do!
I've found the newer generation of G-10 handles to even be nice to use in wet and harsh conditions which is important to me.

In the past 3 years or so I've found this new generation G-10 material along with Titanium to be my two favorite handle materials for knives I use a lot. Even the G-10 on the 2011 Sprint Run has a great grip factor. And they seem to improve these materials as time goes by.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK we've got to see a pic of the upcoming plain edged, Cruwear C-60 model. Does anyone have a picture of the serrated version of the C-60. I really want to see how the serration pattern on this new one stacks up against the original 2002 Ayoob model.

I'm hoping that by March 01, 2022 we will have both the SE & PE C-60 models available by then. But I just feel in my gut that's about when the Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob going to finally be available.

I also know in my gut that David (Evil D) is probably going bunkers wanting to test drive the serrated version ASAP. And I hope he has an awesome report to give when it happens. I know he won't be disappointed.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:35 pm

I also know in my gut that David (Evil D) is probably going bunkers wanting to test drive the serrated version ASAP. And I hope he has an awesome report to give when it happens. I know he won't be disappointed.

I'm chopped at the bit as they say. I'll admit I haven't done a lot with the one I have, I'm hesitant because it's an original and isn't easy to replace. At least with a sprint or exclusive or whatever these will be I plan to get at least two of them so I can really play with them hard.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:57 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:35 pm

I'm chopped at the bit as they say. I'll admit I haven't done a lot with the one I have, I'm hesitant because it's an original and isn't easy to replace. At least with a sprint or exclusive or whatever these will be I plan to get at least two of them so I can really play with them hard.
Also keep in mind that on the 2011 Sprint Run they only made that one available in PE only. There never were any of that Sprint Run offered in SE as far as I know and as far as I've been told. If there were any full SE models from that 2011 Sprint Run they had to have been prototypes and demo models. Because I traded quite a few of that 2011 Sprint Run of the Ayoob model and I owned 4 of them at one time but I never saw one of the 2011 Sprint Run in SE.

And that upset me because the C-60 Ayoob really stands out in full SE and in PE both. It's one model I absolutely insist in owning both edge types. Because its just that good of a design as I've said so many times.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:59 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Matus wrote:

If any of you know of a handle material that you all think would be better for the C-60 Ayoob model I would love to hear your suggestion. Personally I've thought about it from almost every angle and I can't see anything working better on this model than any of the newer G-10 materials.

The only other handle material that I think would be intriguing for the C-60 Ayoob model would be to use some of that super high quality Carbon Fiber like they've use on several of those Swiss made KLOTZLI models. But I would be glad to listen to and to consider any other viable suggestions.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

aside from g10, i would say micarta or titanium would be cool. but i've also already complained that this is probably going to be too expensive for me, so maybe i should just keep my mouth shut. i wouldn't mind paying a little more for either material, but i don't want to pay titanium prices for micarta and i don't want to pay micarta prices for g10.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Carbon fiber is definitely intriguing, as is titanium. The thing I like about G-10 is that it's got good grip to it.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:35 am
Carbon fiber is definitely intriguing, as is titanium. The thing I like about G-10 is that it's got good grip to it.
Interesting you mention a possible Titanium handle. Because as most of you know I'm certainly a fan of Titanium handles overall. It would look so cool to have a Titanium handle and have it anodized with which ever color you all think would look cool on the C-60 model.

However I'm thinking that Titanium and high grade carbon fiber might be very costly. When Spyderco did that last Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob in 2011 they went from an almite/aluminum handle to G-10 and that was like a "day & night" difference.

The G-10 handle made me like the C-60 almost twice as good as the original>> and I really loved the original as most of you know.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:34 am
aside from g10, i would say micarta or titanium would be cool. but i've also already complained that this is probably going to be too expensive for me, so maybe i should just keep my mouth shut. i wouldn't mind paying a little more for either material, but i don't want to pay titanium prices for micarta and i don't want to pay micarta prices for g10.
Yeah you're right in a couple of aspects. Because some of these materials have really catapulted in price in the past 10 years or so.

What intrigues me about the possibility of a Titanium handle would be overall wear resistance. A C-60 with a Ti handle is one that I would have to list in my "wild dreams" category. I do really like the "Grip Factor" of a really nice Titanium handle. But at the end of the day G-10 does seem to be the logical choice. But CF and Titanium does make for great conversation.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd be all about peel ply carbon fiber.

I also think this one would look pretty amazing with bolsters, even if that really doesn't fit the whole self defense vibe of this knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Just checking in. Glad JD is still fighting the good fight :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Blerv wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:35 pm
Just checking in. Glad JD is still fighting the good fight :)
Thank you my Brother!!! good to see you back posting again. Sure hope you snag at least one of these upcoming C-60 Ayoob Sprint Runs. This is going to be a colossal Sprint Run and maybe the very best ever.

I'm hoping that they give us a release date some time in this month of Febuary 2022. Oh and by the way Blerv these will be available in SE & PE both.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JMM wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:39 am
I'm pretty sure JD knows where I stand on this subject, I've said it before & I'll say it again: My #1 & #2 most wanted reboots from the past are the Ulize & Ayoob. For both models my absolute dream would be...

Tool steel like 4V, Rex45, K390, 10V, or Cruwear -- any one (or more) of these.
G10 or CF scales
Both PE & SE variants for each model

...perhaps an exclusive could bring in something like S90V, M390, or LC200N with a cool scale material/colour?

"When you wish upon a star..." :D

Cheers,

John
I was just going over some of the past pages on this great thread. And I see that "JMM" was the first guy to suggest "CRUWEAR" for an ideal blade steel for the C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run. So maybe we shouldn't be surprised that they elected to use "Cruwear" on the plain edged version at least. So we need to give this Brother some credit because apparently his suggestion didn't fall on deaf ears.
I hope "JMM" might realize that he planted a seed which did come up by the way!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=4SxywV_P2ic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=4SxywV_P2ic

The Ayoob is featured at around the 8:40 mark in this video. Eric confirms that this is the sprint run of the Ayoob.
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey thanks for sharing that with us Mushroom. Eric went over the information so fast I had to rewind it a couple of times to grasp everything he was trying to present. But some great information he shared for sure.

I was also impressed at the looks and construction of the Wharnie Endela that followed the Ayoob. I'm not a huge fan of Wharncliffe blades but for some reason that one really appealed to me. It reminds me of some of Michael Janich's great Wharnie designs.

It would appear that Spyderco themselves are really high on this new Ayoob Sprint Run. Eric just does a great presentation job on every blade he reviews. It shouldn't be too much longer before we all have a C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run in our hands to talk about. Thanks again!!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

It did look in the video that it has the black clip with the gold bug! 9:38
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

There was some question about the intended use for the new cleaver, I think Eric clarifies that its intention is food prep when he innocently changes its name to the Stovetop.