C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:58 am
946F8F7D-4783-470E-B73D-0AF159A18906.jpeg
I see you are a connoisseur of fine art BenBen :cheap-sunglasses Yeah you could put that portrait of the C-60 up with a Van Gogh or a Picasso painting>> or even one of my all time fav Hieronymus Bosch.

Oh yes I truly think when Massad Ayoob designed this knife that the prototype should be in an art museum at some point.

Not to mention how streamlined, sleek and ergonomic it is>> as well as practical and functional.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Scrolling through Cutlery Shoppe's page of sprints and nearly had a heart attack. They have quite a few older models listed "for reference only" 😒

Screenshot_20211028-043515_Chrome.jpg
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:42 am
Scrolling through Cutlery Shoppe's page of sprints and nearly had a heart attack. They have quite a few older models listed "for reference only" 😒

Screenshot_20211028-043515_Chrome.jpg

they've got me with the same thing multiple times.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Wouldn't that qualify as "Cruel & Unusual Punishment" guys? Or in my case when I recently went to Country Knive's website and discovered a "grail" collectible I've been feverishly looking for just to discover that the price tag is up in the earth's stratosphere >> or it was so high that it would take a silicon valley billionaire to afford it.

I also went through the same type of torture when one of our Forum members sold his "Cranberry Lum" a while back on a popular auction site only to see it go well over 4 digits :hot-face

Well thank GOD we've got a company owner who is accommodating enough to do these exotic Sprint Runs to curtail some of this unfair treatment. No I haven't heard any recent news either regarding the newest C-60 Sprint Run>> but I can assure you all that I keep a constant watch on the situation.
benben

Post by benben »

I just was telling my wife this thread is up to 56 pages, and that this C60 Ayoob is being made in Japan as we speak…..and to not be surprised when the day comes and I buy two, a SE and a PE, hopefully! ;)

Going ahead and softening the blow now so I can remind her, remember when I said….. :winking-tongue
Monty

Post by Monty »

Still excited for this one, although I keep getting distracted with other new-to-me knives. It will be interesting to try this in a tip up carry. The curve of the knife really suited the original tip down. I hate to say it but I hope the price is just high enough to discourage recreational flippers. I wanta serrated model but I do refuse to pay the scumbags haunting the drops of late.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Monty wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:50 pm
Still excited for this one, although I keep getting distracted with other new-to-me knives. It will be interesting to try this in a tip up carry. The curve of the knife really suited the original tip down.

I feel like this design works about as well in tip up as screen doors on a submarine. But, to each his own I guess. This may well be the detail that turns many off on the design, which is a shame but I have my hangups too so I guess I can't blame people for not making compromises. I guess the wasteband carry guys may not care so much about how it fits the shape of a pocket, or maybe those who carry in their back pocket (I did carry a Military in my right back pocket for years and it worked extremely well there). While I do tend to prefer tip up myself, I also just go with what works best for the design and to me this one is 100% a tip down design and I've got no problem with that. I'm sure I'll fiddle with it and see how it feels tip up, maybe I'm wrong.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Monty wrote:
Still excited for this one, although I keep getting distracted with other new-to-me knives. It will be interesting to try this in a tip up carry. The curve of the knife really suited the original tip down. I hate to say it but I hope the price is just high enough to discourage recreational flippers. I wanta serrated model but I do refuse to pay the scumbags haunting the drops of late.
Well I really like your take on having the price high enough where only the more dedicated fans will be pulling the trigger on this one when it hits the dealer's shelves. Yeah I hate to think of someone getting this C-60 just to flick while watching a movie or football game. But each to his own I suppose.

However I've got two guys that I've hunted with over the years that I've gotten them interested to snag one of these C-60 Sprint Runs as a Hunter-Folder. This won't be the first time I've sold someone on the C-60 as a hunter-folder either.

I've said this so many times. This is one of the few Spyderco models that I love just as much in SE as I do in PE.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I’ve never handled a Ayoob and that was a lack of being open minded. Hopefully I can correct that at an upcoming knife show . Keep them coming JD ! Regards MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:08 am
I’ve never handled a Ayoob and that was a lack of being open minded. Hopefully I can correct that at an upcoming knife show . Keep them coming JD ! Regards MG2
You're in for a real treat ManixGuy!! The C-60 Ayoob is one model that you truly can't judge by it's outward appearance. No!! you must actually use it and use it hard to fully appreciate the comprehensive design that Mr. Ayoob must have spent hours devising. The result is a folder that can be used for everything from Self Defense, to Hunting and outdoor uses to just having a super nice EDC folder for daily uses. And the serrated model is a most unique beast as well.

Which is why I beat the drums so loudly with this thread in order that so many of the guys who have not been here all that long can now have a chance to see what the C-60 Ayoob is all about. I even semi-retired my M390 Military model as my main EDC just to see how great of an EDC folder the C-60 can be. And even with VG-10 blade steel I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything to speak of.

I've been carrying ( EDCing) one of my C-60 models for over 3 months now and it's been great fun to say the least. I'm really anxious to see what new blade steel they end up using on this upcoming Sprint Run.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:18 am
Monty wrote:
Well I really like your take on having the price high enough where only the more dedicated fans will be pulling the trigger on this one when it hits the dealer's shelves. Yeah I hate to think of someone getting this C-60 just to flick while watching a movie or football game. But each to his own I suppose.

However I've got two guys that I've hunted with over the years that I've gotten them interested to snag one of these C-60 Sprint Runs as a Hunter-Folder. This won't be the first time I've sold someone on the C-60 as a hunter-folder either.

I've said this so many times. This is one of the few Spyderco models that I love just as much in SE as I do in PE.
I think he meant flippers as in people that buy sprint runs just to resell them at a higher price. Like house flipping.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For the record though at some point I definitely plan to be sitting on a couch flicking this knife mindlessly while watching TV

😁

Man I can't wait. I really only have like 4 knives in my future unless the Reveals bring something unexpected

1. Ayoob
2. Cliff Jumper/Sequoia
3. Autonomy 1 in orange
4. SE Native Chief if/when it ever happens
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Rp5 wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:57 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:18 am
Monty wrote:

I think he meant flippers as in people that buy sprint runs just to resell them at a higher price. Like house flipping.
Yeah you're probably right I'm sure. But I have seen a couple of guys who did indeed buy high end folders just to play with and probably never use them for what they are intended for. And that does amaze me when I see it.

When I sold one of my 2011 Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob models to a hunting buddy of mine a few years back he kept saying that he didn't think it would be good for hunting, skinning and processing. Now he brags constantly how good of a hunter-folder the C-60 Ayoob is. I've tried to buy it back from him on 2 occasions but now he wouldn't sell it for double/triple of what he paid for it. It just goes to show the pre-conceived notions that people get about knives.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:51 pm
For the record though at some point I definitely plan to be sitting on a couch flicking this knife mindlessly while watching TV

😁

Man I can't wait. I really only have like 4 knives in my future unless the Reveals bring something unexpected

1. Ayoob
2. Cliff Jumper/Sequoia
3. Autonomy 1 in orange
4. SE Native Chief if/when it ever happens
Well just to clear the air>> there is nothing at all wrong with a guy who enjoys playing with a knife while watching a football game or movie. The point I was trying to make was that many people buy a really high quality knife with no intention of ever using it for a real cutting job of some type.

I will admit I was very guilty of that myself once upon a time. Back around 2008 I think it was I bought a Cold Steel "Arc Angel" butterfly knife thinking I could become proficient at it. But I quickly discovered I didn't have the necessary skills to become an ace with a butterfly knife after I got slashed a couple of times :'(

But even with all of that said: I do think the C-60 Ayoob design could be made into a great automatic folder. But that's another subject for another time.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Oh you can bet the farm I'll be using mine too. I'm hoping it also gets an interesting steel I can play with too so I can try out the knife and a steel at the same time.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:17 am
I just was telling my wife this thread is up to 56 pages, and that this C60 Ayoob is being made in Japan as we speak…..and to not be surprised when the day comes and I buy two, a SE and a PE, hopefully! ;)

Going ahead and softening the blow now so I can remind her, remember when I said….. :winking-tongue
Well "BENBEN" you've been here from the "GET-GO" and constantly making nice contributions to help keep this appeal for a new C-60 Ayoob going strong. And for that I do thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I never in my wildest dreams ever thought that this thread would still be going 16 months after I started it. It proves that there are a lot of serious Spyderco fans who love this model. And I do believe that Spyderco themselves are going to be well pleased with the success they will enjoy from this C-60 Sprint Run. It also shows how the popularity of Spyderco serrated blades just keeps constantly growing as well. It's all good my Brother!!
benben

Post by benben »

JD, a week or so back I was responding to a guy on Glocktalk, he was saying he had been wanting an Ayoob forever. I told him the story of finding my newest one at a gun show in Hickory, NC and the good ole boy vendor I bought it from didn’t know a lot about it but said it one of the ugliest Spyderco’s he’d ever seen!!

Massad chimed in immediately and said “benben, it’s okay to call the C60 ugly, it was meant for concealment!” I let him know right quick I wasn’t the one who called it ugly!! :winking-tongue
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm constantly fascinated with how people see beauty. I admit that this knife definitely looked strange to me but there was a turning point when I understand why it looks how it does and then it started looking way better to me. There are some very popular knives by other brands that I always scratch my head at because I just don't see the appeal at all so beautiful is always subjective.
~David
benben

Post by benben »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:17 am
I'm constantly fascinated with how people see beauty. I admit that this knife definitely looked strange to me but there was a turning point when I understand why it looks how it does and then it started looking way better to me. There are some very popular knives by other brands that I always scratch my head at because I just don't see the appeal at all so beautiful is always subjective.
David, that’s exactly how I felt about Santoku kitchen knives, now I use a Shun Santoku practically everyday of my life, perfect functionality = beauty!!
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

I'm super excited for the upcoming sprint run! This knife has intrigued me since I first saw one, but I've never handled one or seen one in person. I found a BNIB 2011 Sprint run for sale. What would the value of this knife be? Are there any ideas on a rough time frame for the release of the upcoming sprint run? Thanks!
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt