C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:14 am
if i could get a se ayoob salt in any of the (now 4?) salt steels, i'd probably sell my cruwear version and never look back. i prefer the ayoob in se and i prefer my se knives to be salts because i typically carry them as backup/emergency/sd knives iwb. it's been a little tough to figure out how to fit this cruwear ayoob into my rotation because of that, even though i think the knife is great. a salt would solve the issue for me nicely. also, i guess i should make the case again that sd knives should be salts because the only way you can always have it ready in the same place, regardless of what you're wearing, is in your waistband. that kind of consistency is important in moments where your life might depend on your reaction time.
And maybe the next C-60 Sprint Run I petition for should be a Salt Series version. There have been a lot of the guys over the years say that they would like a Salt Series version>> and even a few on the early pages of this thread.

I would love a Salt version my own self but I've also fallen in love with this Cruwear C-60 Ayoob. It's truly one of my top 3 favorite Spyders of all time. Another case to make for a Salt version of the C-60 is that H-1 and LC200N both make great blade steels for serrated edges. I will certainly keep it in mind.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ovgcguy wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:16 pm
benben wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:23 am
I'd be in for a serrated FRN Ayoob, in any one of the Salt steels!
x2. Let this be the new rallying call.

FRN Ayoob in Magnacut anyone?
I like the idea of a C-60 Ayoob with a Magnacut blade. But I like G-10 handle material much more than I do FRN. However a titanium handle with the C-60 model is really appealing.

Yeah I think "ladybug" has a great idea for a Salt version of the C-60 Ayoob.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

that all sounds great, but i thought sal already said in this thread that there were a lot of issues making this sprint happen and it wasn't likely to ever happen again.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Matus

Post by Matus »

I guess it would be a lot of work to turn the Ayoob into a Salt model, but I definitely see the motivation.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:21 pm
that all sounds great, but i thought sal already said in this thread that there were a lot of issues making this sprint happen and it wasn't likely to ever happen again.
Selective hearing (or reading) is real!

Reading between the lines of Sal's comments, it seems this project was just beyond the grasp of the current generation running the factory in Japan. It will take time and effort to get back to their former glory.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:31 am
ladybug93 wrote:

Reading between the lines of Sal's comments, it seems this project was just beyond the grasp of the current generation running the factory in Japan. It will take time and effort to get back to their former glory.
that seems strange to me... they just finished making a run, so they've had some practice now and it seems like it would only get easier for them to repeat production of the same knife. it wasn't awful quality, but it certainly was below par for spyderco. i know some are impressed with sal's efforts to bring that factory back around. i would be as well if it wasn't the customer paying the price with lower quality knives at standard prices (which are higher than typical because of the materials and factory). basically, i think a salt ayoob would be cool, but i'm not "investing" any more of my limited funds in knives from that factory to help them get their feet under them. if spyderco really wants to help them, maybe they should be producing a value line of knives at a lower cost instead of premium sprints until they are back on track.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
sup3rnaut

Post by sup3rnaut »

So I finally sprung my SE Ayoob out of BHQ knife jail, (it'd been on layway for 4 months), and it's got a snaggle tooth. *sigh* Not gonna lie; I'm pretty disappointed. This'll cut things just fine, but the looks bug me quite a bit.

Think I might try to sell this one and search, (likely in vain), for a replacement which was done properly, without paying an entirely exorbitant price. I wonder how the secondary market is for this model. :thinking
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

I have been buying spyderco on and off since 1990. My $ speaks for itself. This is the first spyderco that I just now purchased both edge types of the same model. Of all models only my Tuff has a slightly better build. (And that's subjective). Even my GB, stretch2,salts, pm2, pm3, native series, fall far short of the build quality and performance of the ayoob. The ayoob ,Along with the chef, siren, and manix 2 g10, this rounds out the spydercos I find most useful. I could not be more pleased with the quality and value Moki brings to the table.

Time for a spy 27 Ayoob with blue g10. MOKI only, and both edge types plz. And this will get me to spend more $.
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

Come on JD , more ayoob more moki, more super steels. Rah rah rah! :cheap-sunglasses :squinting-tongue
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah I've been thinking along the same lines myself. There's a reason that the Endura, Delica and Police and a few other models became permanent in the main line up. One could say it's a simple case of "Supply & Demand". Well if it's that simple then you could deduct that increased popularity and demand could also make it desirable for them to reconsider.

Or maybe it's deeper than that. But it has gotten my attention just how much increased popularity has arisen even over this particular project.

I do predict that with the success this run has had that the Cruwear Ayoob will end up being highly sought after on the secondary markets. Albeit it still makes me wonder why specialized models like the G-10 Harpy in spite of how many people like it just never got any traction as you might think it would have. From a manufacturer's point of view it may not be worth the time and trouble jumping over the hurdles. But time will tell.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Fharing45 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:27 pm
Come on JD , more ayoob more moki, more super steels. Rah rah rah! :cheap-sunglasses :squinting-tongue
Please believe me my friend nothing would make me happier. Making this C-60 Ayoob model more popular would be a lengthy project I would enjoy becoming consumed with.

Needless to say this project has gotten the attention of a lot of new and old Spyderco fans. Especially the newer folks that have been here 5 years or less. I'm still mind blow how many of the newer people that didn't even know this model even existed.

But I do hold out hope that the increased popularity might eventually make Sal & Co. take a second look and reconsider. I'm still incredibly grateful that they answered our call on this project. I seriously doubt if most any other companies would have.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

City Arsenal has the PlainEdge marked down to $138.93 + shipping... https://cityarsenal.com/product/spyderc ... s-c60gpgy/
Last edited by Buddafucco on Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

How is that price even possible??
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

That is an absolute steal because the factory seconds Ayoob sprints were $137 if I recall correctly.
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:01 pm
That is an absolute steal because the factory seconds Ayoob sprints were $137 if I recall correctly.
Maybe they are factory "seconds" at that price. That does seem to be too good to be true. Because there is no valid reason for any dealer to be low-balling these C-60 Cruwear Ayoob models. Especially at the brisk rate they've been selling them at.

I think they won't last long at that price even if they are factory seconds. And if you're going to use it as an EDC folder what difference does it make. It wouldn't make much difference to me as hard as I can be on a folder at times.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

They haven't added any new inventory since before the seconds sale. And it's not just the Ayoob... all of their Spyderco's are significantly marked down today.
•• Beau
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Thanks Beau,
Chaparral CF and Stretch 2 XL inbound for Christmas gifts
Looked for a free shipping code but none found.
Nice prices on all their Spydies
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

I picked one of these up recently. As much as I don't need yet another knife, this one was hard to resist.
I was expecting it to be a bit impractical due to the size, but it's surprisingly thin.
I'm surprised there aren't more banana shaped knives with how ergonomic the C60 design feels.
A funny thing I noticed was that the blade's about as thick as my iron ring, so I managed to get my ring jammed inside the knife when I held it for the first time.

Here's a picture from my barely functional phone camera.
c60.jpg
Last edited by vandelay on Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

Paging JD Spydo...and everyone else. Please check the deal I just posted for the plain edge ayoob. Not many left in stock and I hope you can get one if you want to before they are gone. These are not 2nd's... $151 shipped from white mountain knives. I just messaged you JD.

well... it sold out maybe 10 minutes after I posted it. They only had ~5 in stock. Works out to as cheap as the deal yesterday with shipping from that less known shop.
Last edited by Mystery Flavor on Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:31 am
ladybug93 wrote:

Make an Ayoobish Salt with negative blade angle and let the Salt factory be in charge?? Maybe a new design is the answer?