C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Evil D »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:42 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:18 am
As much as I'm not really a huge fan of low height hollow grinds, I don't think this model would work in FFG unless the blade shape was changed into a much taller blade height, and I'm sure that's not going to happen. On a short blade like this there just isn't enough room for the flat grind to transition from edge to spine without it being a door stop. Even the Nilakka is a wedge, but it gets away with it by being a near zero grind. This blade would be stupid thick behind the edge if it was done in FFG. This just isn't a slicing sort of design.
Mark Greenman had an Ayoob Krein regrinded FFG, wonder if he could comment on performance? @markgreenman

I think I've seen it before. Seems it would either need to be very thin at the edge or at the spine or both.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Evil D wrote:
As much as I'm not really a huge fan of low height hollow grinds, I don't think this model would work in FFG unless the blade shape was changed into a much taller blade height, and I'm sure that's not going to happen. On a short blade like this there just isn't enough room for the flat grind to transition from edge to spine without it being a door stop. Even the Nilakka is a wedge, but it gets away with it by being a near zero grind. This blade would be stupid thick behind the edge if it was done in FFG. This just isn't a slicing sort of design.
Mark Greenman had an Ayoob Krein regrinded FFG, wonder if he could comment on performance? @markgreenman
Hey!! I remember when he did that to his C-60 Ayoob. But there were a lot of guys doing quite a few Spyderco models with that "Krein" custom grind a few years back. I've never checked out his work. Because with the C-60 and most of the other Spyderco models I've seen them opt for the "Krein Grind" are Spyderco models that I've been extremely happy with just the way they came from the factory.

I almost completely forgot about those custom grind jobs from Krein Knives.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Sal, could you please give us a hint whether the Ayoob is coming in a few weeks, few months, or sometime next year? It would be very much appreciated 🙏
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:28 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Hey!! I remember when he did that to his C-60 Ayoob. But there were a lot of guys doing quite a few Spyderco models with that "Krein" custom grind a few years back. I've never checked out his work. Because with the C-60 and most of the other Spyderco models I've seen them opt for the "Krein Grind" are Spyderco models that I've been extremely happy with just the way they came from the factory.

I almost completely forgot about those custom grind jobs from Krein Knives.
I really like the C60 they way it is. As for Krein, it's the only way I can handle the Waved Endura. :nauseated It just offends my eyes. The Delica is okay.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

5-by-5 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:11 am
I really like the C60 they way it is. As for Krein, it's the only way I can handle the Waved Endura. :nauseated It just offends my eyes. The Delica is okay.

Kinda funny, aesthetically it's one of my favorites because it reminds me of an old bayonet. I'm sure yours slices far better though.
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:00 am
5-by-5 wrote:

Kinda funny, aesthetically it's one of my favorites because it reminds me of an old bayonet. I'm sure yours slices far better though.
Agree, it looks great as is but saber grind not the best performer
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:31 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:00 am
5-by-5 wrote:

Agree, it looks great as is but saber grind not the best performer
I do remember when that fad got started a few years back. Personally I like most of my Spyderco blades just the way the factory made them. But just curious what is supposed to be the advantage ( if any) of that particular grind or is it because they just look cool

And I will grant you they do look intriguing needless to say. But I've become more a "function first" type guy as time goes on. So unless one of those special Krien grinds has huge advantages I probably won't get any myself.

I do remember when they first came out it was several guys sending in their C-60 Ayoob models to have that done. I will say it's interesting if nothing else.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

On another item of business>> has anyone heard any recent news about the C-60 Sprint Run lately. It's been extremely strange and really quiet in a spooky sense lately because I haven't even heard any rumors or anything lately regarding the C-60 Sprint Run.

Or is this just a form or torment that the Great Spyder Factory likes to unleash upon us on occasions?

I just can't wait to start EDCing one of these bad boys whenever they arrive. Anybody heard anything at all??????????
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Seems like business as usual to me.

We got a video preview of it, not sure what else they can tell us until it’s ready to come out.
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:48 pm

We got a video preview of it, not sure what else they can tell us until it’s ready to come out.
Are you talking about the one Eric Glesser did a while back? If so I've seen that one. But that's the only one I've seen up till now. But I've been horribly busy in the past 3 to 4 weeks so I could have missed anything on any of the forums.

And I believe Eric was at the SHOT SHOW on that video??? If that's the same one you're talking about??
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:01 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:48 pm

Are you talking about the one Eric Glesser did a while back? If so I've seen that one. But that's the only one I've seen up till now. But I've been horribly busy in the past 3 to 4 weeks so I could have missed anything on any of the forums.

And I believe Eric was at the SHOT SHOW on that video??? If that's the same one you're talking about??
Yeah I was referring to the video from GPKnives with Eric Glesser at SHOT Show. I have not seen or heard anything new since then.

Other than giving us a release date, that video was quite informative regarding this sprint. I just don’t know what other kind of information they can share about the knife until they know when it’s going to be released. I wouldn’t be surprised if the next update we get is from a “soft” Reveal.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:39 pm
But just curious what is supposed to be the advantage ( if any) of that particular grind or is it because they just look cool

Regrinds make the whole blade thinner, but perhaps most importantly they make them significantly thinner behind the edge, and so they'll slice significantly better than factory. Look at it this way....if you have a hollow grind and you think it slices well, and you take that knife and regrind it down to full flat grind, there will be parts of the knife that are the same thinness as it was when it was hollow grind, but everything else that starts out thicker will now be reground thinner, so it's going to be less blade wedging through materials.

And in cases where the blade grind itself doesn't change from hollow grind to flat grind or whatever, you can have any grind style ground thinner and keep it as the same style of grind. Take these two for example, both started out as full flat grinds but are now quite a bit thinner at the edge and slice like lightsabers.

Now, you can also make the argument that those blades are now less strong than factory, and that's a fair argument. So, for the sake of stabbing and self defense, this is probably not necessary and may end with a broken blade. Then again, the original Yojimbo and Ronin seem quite thin, so maybe it only needs to be effective once to get the job done. For everyday use I think most people will benefit from better slicing geometry, but some may feel more comfortable with thicker grinds if they fear they might break them. There are certainly tasks I won't think about doing with those two above, they're pure slicers now.
~David
Matus

Post by Matus »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:27 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
But just curious what is supposed to be the advantage ( if any) of that particular grind or is it because they just look cool
Regrinds make the whole blade thinner ...
No necessarily. There are more (and often better) options than a FFG out there.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Matus wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:23 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:27 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Regrinds make the whole blade thinner ...
No necessarily. There are more (and often better) options than a FFG out there.

Well, if you start with FFG and make it hollow grind, you have to remove steel to change the grind, and that will make it thinner won't it?
~David
Matus

Post by Matus »

I was more referencing to the word 'whole' blade, rather the particular regrind of turning a hollow grind to a flat grind.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Matus wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:13 am
I was more referencing to the word 'whole' blade, rather the particular regrind of turning a hollow grind to a flat grind.

I think we're misunderstanding each other. Going from HG to FFG would mean the top of the blade and the area behind the edge would both need to be a lot thinner to get rid of the concave part of the grind. This is an issue with some knives and I've even seen some attempts that failed to get rid of all of the HG. I've got pictures somewhere of a Southard that still has a small trace of the concave left on one side of the blade.

If you're going from FFG to HG then I guess the entire blade doesn't need to be thinner since you're sorta just scooping out steel from the sides of the grind. I'm actually on the hunt for someone competent enough to do this with a Shaman.
~David
Matus

Post by Matus »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:17 am
Matus wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:13 am
I think we're misunderstanding each other. Going from HG to FFG would mean the top of the blade and the area behind the edge would both need to be a lot thinner to get rid of the concave part of the grind.
Oh, I see. Indeed - that is absolutely correct. I m going to guess that the resulting blade would get extremely thin without being thinned behind the edge (as the edge would not manage to support a grind that shallow). But one would nee to know the details of the existing hollow grind.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The C-60 Ayoob with the hollow grind is just fine by me. It's one design with a hollow grind blade that actually makes sense.

They don't need to change the blade geometry at all on the C-60. This is another case of "If It Ain't Broke, Then Don't Try To Fix It".
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:18 pm
"If It Ain't Broke, Then Don't Try To Fix It".
that's a new one for me. i always thought the saying was, "if it ain't broke, fix it until it is."
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:50 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:18 pm
"If It Ain't Broke, Then Don't Try To Fix It".
that's a new one for me. i always thought the saying was, "if it ain't broke, fix it until it is."
LOL I’ve shared this story here before so to make it short, that’s what we used to say to people on the old paintball forums who were troubleshooting their equipment for basically no reasons