C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

V1.5 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:21 am
I still haven't been able to hunt down a serrated model, but I haven't given up. The hunt continues....
There are still a few out there on some dealer's shelves from what one trusted friend recently told me. You've got to do some searching and some time consuming searching at that. I'm trying to get enough coins together to get at least one more SE unit for my own selfish/personal uses.

As fast as these Cruwear Ayoob models went off of dealer's shelves I sure do hope that something transpires to urge Mr. Glesser to reconsider and have a change of heart for making more of these Cruwear C-60 Ayoob models. They sure won't have any trouble selling them it seems.

As good as the original VG-10 units were the Cruwear units are even twice as nice. Mr. Glesser hit this one out of the park to be sure.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ATTENTION: Will someone please let us know when it's for absolute certain that all dealers are completely sold out of the C-60 Cruwear Ayoob Sprint Run.

I think we are getting close as it is. But I've heard if you look hard enough there are a few single units on some dealer's shelves. I shutter to think what the aftermarket prices are going to be with this one.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

National Knives still has a plain edge for those that still may be looking.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The U.K. importer still has both in stock. I apologise for my compatriots lack of taste.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well thanks to both of you for the timely information. But still I'm believing that we are probably getting very close to having them all sold out very soon.

It's a shame too because I just know in my gut that virtually everyone who test drives one of these Cruwear Ayoob Sprint models usually ends up liking it>> and liking it a lot.

This particular Sprint Run has really been a great experience. I'm still torn between which GOLDEN ERA model I want to campaign for next. I'm open to ideas.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:14 am
The U.K. importer still has both in stock. I apologise for my compatriots lack of taste.
Ha. 😂
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Edgar Brothers?
https://www.edgarbrothers.com/shooting- ... print-run/

I located one in the USA on Gunbroker. I admit, I have my doubts about MidwayUSA's claim about a March delivery.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025355319?pid=614914
- Richard
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jwbnyc wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:22 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
Ha. 😂
I do find that a little surprising however>> because I've always heard that the "U. K." had some very draconian knife laws for their countrymen.

We used to have that one Brother I liked from there who had the name "UK Ken". He was a valuable source of information on just about any blade made by Spyderco. I wish he would come back.

What is the name of this UK Importer? And I would love to know what their price is for the Cruwear Ayoob.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JD Spydo wrote: This particular Sprint Run has really been a great experience. I'm still torn between which GOLDEN ERA model I want to campaign for next. I'm open to ideas.
dodo
kiwi 4
battlestation
khukuri
equilibrium
balance
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:39 pm
JD Spydo wrote: This particular Sprint Run has really been a great experience. I'm still torn between which GOLDEN ERA model I want to campaign for next. I'm open to ideas.
dodo
kiwi 4
battlestation
khukuri
equilibrium
balance
I can always use another Dodo model. The two I still own are great for certain uses. I even have one in my first aid kit. It's great for cutting tape and gauze along with other medical stuff. Also it's the only one on your list that comes from the GOLDEN ERA (1998 - 2004).

But I will admit that I've been fond of that Khukuri model for some time now. Ed Schempp's designs are not only intriguing but usually quite functional as well.

At this time I'm kind of leaning on either the JD Smith and/or the C-42 Viele for my next "campaign". I always felt that neither one of those great models ever got the fanfare that they richly deserve. Both were designs way ahead of their time and both also helped to pave the way for newer/better models post 2005.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:48 pm
I can always use another Dodo model. The two I still own are great for certain uses. I even have one in my first aid kit. It's great for cutting tape and gauze along with other medical stuff. Also it's the only one on your list that comes from the GOLDEN ERA (1998 - 2004).

But I will admit that I've been fond of that Khukuri model for some time now. Ed Schempp's designs are not only intriguing but usually quite functional as well.

At this time I'm kind of leaning on either the JD Smith and/or the C-42 Viele for my next "campaign". I always felt that neither one of those great models ever got the fanfare that they richly deserve. Both were designs way ahead of their time and both also helped to pave the way for newer/better models post 2005.
i don't know which knives come from whatever time period. i just mentioned some that i think are interesting that i missed out on. maybe it's just me, but i doubt either of the two you mentioned would be as popular as the ayoob was. the ayoob looks like a knife people would carry today and the two you mentioned look more like fossils that support the theory of knife evolution to me. as far as paving the way for better models... well i'm glad jazz exists and influenced some of the music i like, but it's still terrible to listen to.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
CLOK

Post by CLOK »

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

CLOK wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:40 am
PE still in stock: https://newgraham.com/ayoob-gray-g-10- ... -sc60gpgy/
Well I'm glad that "New Graham" finally got into this Sprint Run. Because they sure were slow about it. I tried to buy one from them for a friend of mine but after 3 attempts I kind of gave up on them. I like New Graham and have bought several items from them over the years. But they don't seem to be up on collectibles like they were at one time. But a great reputable dealer for sure.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:03 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:48 pm

i don't know which knives come from whatever time period. i just mentioned some that i think are interesting that i missed out on. maybe it's just me, but i doubt either of the two you mentioned would be as popular as the ayoob was. the ayoob looks like a knife people would carry today and the two you mentioned look more like fossils that support the theory of knife evolution to me. as far as paving the way for better models... well i'm glad jazz exists and influenced some of the music i like, but it's still terrible to listen to.
Yeah I keep thinking that everyone likes the vintage Spyders as much as I do. But the reality of it seems to be just the opposite. However that was a really neat list you put up. But I'll take all the Dodo models that they would make possible. I've for years wanted Spyderco to consider making an extra large sized, scale version of the Dodo. A bigger one would have many possibilities for hard uses.

Ed Schempp's designs are ones that probably only Spyderco would take a chance on. I seriously doubt if any other mainline cutlery company would roll the dice so to speak.

Actually the same could be said for this C-60 Ayoob model as well.
CLOK

Post by CLOK »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:16 am
CLOK wrote:
Well I'm glad that "New Graham" finally got into this Sprint Run. Because they sure were slow about it. I tried to buy one from them for a friend of mine but after 3 attempts I kind of gave up on them. I like New Graham and have bought several items from them over the years. But they don't seem to be up on collectibles like they were at one time. But a great reputable dealer for sure.
Yeah they seem delayed on some specific models but that’s how I was able to get a SE ARK through them pretty recently. Thanks for pushing for the Ayoob sprint. The fit and finish is awesome.
thuyenbuom

Post by thuyenbuom »

I just bought a second "PE" C60 Ayoob and would really like to see a "SE" version become available...I'm more flexible when it comes to the handle and blade materials.
Necromonger: What do you think of this blade?
Riddick: I think it is a half gram heavy on the back end.

The Chronicles of Riddick - Blade Scene
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

CLOK wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:49 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:16 am
CLOK wrote:
Yeah they seem delayed on some specific models but that’s how I was able to get a SE ARK through them pretty recently. Thanks for pushing for the Ayoob sprint. The fit and finish is awesome.
Spyderco needs to read some of this thread. It's not everyday that a new model or Sprint Run model gets the type of fanfare that this Cruwear Ayoob has gotten in the past 4 to 5 months. I doubt if there is any other Sprint Run that has sold out as fast as this C-60 Sprint Run has.

And when reputable dealers get a model to sell that has kindled this much satisfaction it ends up being great for everyone involved. And it creates a lot more business down the road. I'm glad you like the Cruwear Ayoob>> I was a fanatic about the original and 2011 Sprint Run with both having VG-10 blade steel. But these Cruwear Ayoob models will get most of my pocket time from here on out. This Sprint Run has truly been a success for us the users/collectors and for the company as well.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I am discovering that the Ayoob is a surprisingly useful shape, from a blade that readily cuts on a board* to a curved handle that nestles into the side your f.r.h pocket.

*If the PE was ffg I reckon it would totally outperform the Spydiechef in the kitchen. My vote for the next resurrection would therefore be the Catcherman, FFG in LC200n.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:32 am
I am discovering that the Ayoob is a surprisingly useful shape, from a blade that readily cuts on a board* to a curved handle that nestles into the side your f.r.h pocket.

*If the PE was ffg I reckon it would totally outperform the Spydiechef in the kitchen. My vote for the next resurrection would therefore be the Catcherman, FFG in LC200n.
I could go for a FFG Catcherman with LC200N. I'll certainly put that Catcherman under consideration. But I'm also still liking the C-42 Viele and JD Smith models as possibilities as well.

Go glad that you and a few others really like the performance of the newer Cruwear Ayoob. This was a project I'll never forget.
R100

Post by R100 »

CLOK wrote:
Thanks very much for the heads up. I have the serrated version which I absolutely love. You really need to use one to realise how well it works and the build quality is truly outstanding. It took me a while to realise I NEED the PE version as well and I just haven't been able to find one at a retailer who will ship to Australia. I have emailed New Graham and have my fingers crossed. :crossed-fingers.

Dan