C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BeggarSo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by BeggarSo »

Perhaps Spyderco would do well to observe what sells like this and make them actual standard production runs instead of sprint runs?

Sure keep the sprints and exclusives in different steels but when you clearly have a winning design as proven out by sales then it is pretty much a no brainer what to make and that is that which sells. Lord knows Spyderco keeps certain models in production that make me ask ????

Sometimes I think it is a mistaken belief that because something is rare by artificial marketing and production people want it more. I am seeing allot of exclusive PM2's rotting on the vine due to this.

The vast majority of people are simply unaware of a good thing until it is gone. That is a lost sale due to poor marketing and production.

I respectfully submit the new Ayoob should be offered as a production run in both edge styles with S30V as its base steel with black G-10 handles. Sprints and exclusives in different handle colors and materials as well as steels.

And that's all I got to say bout that Jen'nay :index-finger
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
thuyenbuom

Post by thuyenbuom »

I too need a Serrated Edge (SE) Ayoob...I bought a second PE Ayoob hoping that might hold me over until a SE became available :>)
Necromonger: What do you think of this blade?
Riddick: I think it is a half gram heavy on the back end.

The Chronicles of Riddick - Blade Scene
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BeggarSo wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:18 am
Perhaps Spyderco would do well to observe what sells like this and make them actual standard production runs instead of sprint runs?

Sure keep the sprints and exclusives in different steels but when you clearly have a winning design as proven out by sales then it is pretty much a no brainer what to make and that is that which sells. Lord knows Spyderco keeps certain models in production that make me ask ????
Well "Beggar" I'll just say that you are preaching to a very devout choir member when talking about the C-60 Ayoob model. I've said to Mr. Glesser that I thought the C-60 Ayoob would do well if they brought it back as a main line production model on more than one occasion. And I understand Spyderco's view on it because they are dealing with so many newer models at this time and there are only 24 hours in a day and it would take precious time to focus on an older model.

But I am so thankful that they saw it fit to bring the C-60 back for one last Sprint Run>> and I sincerely hope this isn't the last Sprint Run for this highly revered model. I do hope that Spyderco might consider making at least one more batch of this C-60 Sprint Run because the demand for this recent model is still very constant. I get at least 3 to 4 PMs and e-mails daily asking me where they can find one. I'm willing to bet that if they did do one more batch of these C-60 Sprint Run that they would also sell out. This Cruwear Ayoob model is most certainly one of my top 5 favorites of all time. It's probably about time I do another JD's Top 10 list at some point.
MrBerle

Post by MrBerle »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:44 pm
MrBerle wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:36 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:20 pm
MrBerle wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:24 am

My collection of SD knives, complete with two new beauties :smiling-heart-eyes

I need a chinook and a lil' matriarch too!
I also have a tan 20CV yojimbo on the way, with tan handle and black blade. From a seller in Ukraine actually. The jade version is also calling for me, as is the yojumbo, the all black yojimbo and many more :chipmunk
NICE!!! I like everything in the pic with the exception of the Civilian. And it's not that I don't regard the Civi as being a well made knife because I do. But the Civi just doesn't fit my hand like the Matriarch does. But you sure can't go wrong with anything in that line up. Spyderco sure has something for about every sector of knife use.

The Ayoob was originally designed for SD but that C-60 design can accommodate about anything you want to use a premium blade for.
That's funny because the Civ is my favorite! Fits my hand almost perfectly (Yo2 is #1 in ergonomics tho).

I have a few weeks R&R now and I've been testing out my new Ayoobs with great enthusiasm, I feel like they could handle ANY cutting task.
Mr. Ayoob really nailed it with this design, I hope we get to see more of it!

On a side note: I wonder which would be the best stabber, the Yojimbo 2 or the Ayoob? I will research this.

Cheers
Again I do hope that Spyderco is watching this thread. Because the new Ayoob Sprint Run is so well liked that I do think it would do extremely well if they ended up making at least one more batch of them ( In both edge types of course).

Your last comment about which model would be a better "stabber">> I would go with the C-60 Ayoob all the way if that occasion would unfortunately arise. The streamlined, tapered design of the C-60 blade makes it ideal for a wide range of Self Defense scenarios. Again we hope it would never come to that. But it's nice to know just in case things were to go crazy.

Not only would it be great for stabbing in a bad situation but the handle feels completely natural when you're holding it at that angle. A great deal of detailed thought went into this design. I'm sure that MR. Ayoob spent many many hours putting this one together.
Having been in crazy situations before, as I know you have too, I agree completely.

Regarding stabbing proficiency: I have been conducting some VERY (un)scientific tests in my garage. Stabbing through targets made of several layers of thick cardboard. The Ayoob is more accurate for me in my prefered grip (hammer) but the Yo2 wins handily on ease of penetration.

With the thumb on the spine of the Yo2 the accuracy is almost comparable to the Ayoob.

One thing i really like about the Ayoob is as an impact weapon with the blade closed. Carried right side, tip down, it draws directly into a comfortable grip. The Yojimbo 2 is even more comfortable as an impact weapon but primarily when striking with a hammer fist. The Ayoob could be used more like a Yawara stick, I think.

This is an important point for me as that is part of my SD philosophy. After awareness, avoidance, deescalation and all that good stuff my progression would be: Empty hands -> Knife as an impact weapon -> And in "the gravest extreme" MBC tactics with the blade deployed. As an amature boxer I feel that step 1 and 2 will go a long way and I very much hope that I never have to go beyond that.

Anyway, my new Ayoobs are sure to get lots of pocket time. It is the best combination of everyday usefulness and SD that I've found.

Is there any chance this might make it back to regular production again? I would LOVE a salt version of these.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MrBerle wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:56 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:44 pm
MrBerle wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:36 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:20 pm

NICE!!! I like everything in the pic with the exception of the Civilian. And it's not that I don't regard the Civi as being a well made knife because I do. But the Civi just doesn't fit my hand like the Matriarch does. But you sure can't go wrong with anything in that line up. Spyderco sure has something for about every sector of knife use.

The Ayoob was originally designed for SD but that C-60 design can accommodate about anything you want to use a premium blade for.
That's funny because the Civ is my favorite! Fits my hand almost perfectly (Yo2 is #1 in ergonomics tho).

I have a few weeks R&R now and I've been testing out my new Ayoobs with great enthusiasm, I feel like they could handle ANY cutting task.
Mr. Ayoob really nailed it with this design, I hope we get to see more of it!

On a side note: I wonder which would be the best stabber, the Yojimbo 2 or the Ayoob? I will research this.

Cheers
Again I do hope that Spyderco is watching this thread. Because the new Ayoob Sprint Run is so well liked that I do think it would do extremely well if they ended up making at least one more batch of them ( In both edge types of course).

Your last comment about which model would be a better "stabber">> I would go with the C-60 Ayoob all the way if that occasion would unfortunately arise. The streamlined, tapered design of the C-60 blade makes it ideal for a wide range of Self Defense scenarios. Again we hope it would never come to that. But it's nice to know just in case things were to go crazy.

Not only would it be great for stabbing in a bad situation but the handle feels completely natural when you're holding it at that angle. A great deal of detailed thought went into this design. I'm sure that MR. Ayoob spent many many hours putting this one together.
Having been in crazy situations before, as I know you have too, I agree completely.

Regarding stabbing proficiency: I have been conducting some VERY (un)scientific tests in my garage. Stabbing through targets made of several layers of thick cardboard. The Ayoob is more accurate for me in my prefered grip (hammer) but the Yo2 wins handily on ease of penetration.

With the thumb on the spine of the Yo2 the accuracy is almost comparable to the Ayoob.

Is there any chance this might make it back to regular production again? I would LOVE a salt version of these.
Well "Mr. Berle" I'm certain that if we compared notes that we would be on the same page most of time on most of the issues at hand. And what works great for one guy might not be as comfortable to another guy. Hey if the Yojimbo works for you then GOD Bless you and yours.

I guess it's a moote point to a large degree because Self Defense is way down on the list as far as priorities compared to the most of the cutting chores I use both my Cruwear Ayoob models for. Again I will say I hope to GOD above that I never have to use any knife for self defense. I've been in that situation once before and I'm extremely thankful that neither party in that event got hurt at all.

I've got a ton of respect for the designer of the Yojimbo (Michael Janich) and he's forgotten more about SD that I've ever learned. With that said you know in your gut that he did his homework in designing such a great blade. And anything he writes in his articles I always read them slowly and carefully. But overall the C-60 could work for just about any cutting chore you encounter.

The C-60 Ayoob is capable of being the ultimate EDC blade as well as an ideal outdoor, hunting fishing blade as well.
MrBerle

Post by MrBerle »

Agreed JD!
The C-60 makes an excellent allround EDC and outdoors knife. I'm really loving my Ayoobs and have encouraged my knife friends to get some while it's available. They are very well made, locks up completely solid and carries very nicely both in pocket and IWB.

I've been using the PE in the kitchen daily. This is my new wilderness folder for sure, perfect for preparing food on camping trips.

Does any other spydie have the same serrations? I think it's a great pattern.
ovgcguy

Post by ovgcguy »

I've coated both blades with Slip 2000 EWL dry silicone lube and it makes the flip silky smooth, and has also prevented any more surface rust from developing. Thats great. CruWear after silicone lube soak seems pretty darn stain resistant.

But when I first got my PE something got on it and it rusted a tad - below surface level. You can see several pits under the "B" in ayoob plus one right in the middle of the blade.
https://imgur.com/a/lUgIJGV

I have scrubbed the **** out of the spots with Barkeeper's Friend, but it does nothing to remove the deeper staining. Also, the surface rust seems to grow around these spots, even after keeping the blade completely cleaned, re-covered in EWL silicone lube, then placed in a sealed bag with desiccant packets.

What is the next step up from BKF in strength and rust removal power?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Thuyenbuom,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

ovgcguy wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:00 pm
I've coated both blades with Slip 2000 EWL dry silicone lube and it makes the flip silky smooth, and has also prevented any more surface rust from developing. Thats great. CruWear after silicone lube soak seems pretty darn stain resistant.

But when I first got my PE something got on it and it rusted a tad - below surface level. You can see several pits under the "B" in ayoob plus one right in the middle of the blade.

I have scrubbed the **** out of the spots with Barkeeper's Friend, but it does nothing to remove the deeper staining. Also, the surface rust seems to grow around these spots, even after keeping the blade completely cleaned, re-covered in EWL silicone lube, then placed in a sealed bag with desiccant packets.

Ouch BKF is pretty harsh try Flitz I have had this work very well with all steels. A small tube of this lasts a very, very long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Flitz-Plastic-Fi ... 725&sr=8-2
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
ovgcguy

Post by ovgcguy »

BeggarSo wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:36 pm
ovgcguy wrote:

Ouch BKF is pretty harsh try Flitz I have had this work very well with all steels. A small tube of this lasts a very, very long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Flitz-Plastic-Fi ... 725&sr=8-2
If anything, I think I need something more powerful / acidic / stripping than BKF, as that's not cleaning the pits enough to prevent re-rust. Do you think Flitz would get into pitted areas better? or do you have any experience with Flitz in regards to it cleaning pitted areas?

Or am I thinking about this wrong? What's standard procedure for bringing a heavily rusted knife back to life? (not that mine is heavily rusted, but I imagine there is something to learn from a knife revival thread)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BeggarSo wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:36 pm
ovgcguy wrote:

Now BKF ( Bar Keeper's Friend) is a great cleaner for really gunked up blades. I do agree that FLITZ makes great products and I use their polish for a wide range of applications. Actually both products should be used properly buy knife owners. I also love the metal wax that FLITZ makes as well. And get their polishing cloth because it really works well with the FLITZ polish.

Also with this Cruwear blade it's not a bad idea to use FLITZ's metal wax because it is somewhat vulnerable to corrosion. And I've found that the metal wax made by Flitz works extremely well to protect metal from corrosion.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

It could be a glitch but, both edges just went In stock at Smokey Mountain Knifeworks

SpyderEdge... https://www.smkw.com/spyderco-massad-ay ... n-serrated

PlainEdge... https://www.smkw.com/spyderco-massad-ay ... plain-edge

Edit: SpyderEdge out of stock

Edit x2: Both out of stock
Last edited by Buddafucco on Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
•• Beau
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Buddafucco wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:07 am
It could be a glitch but, both edges just went In stock at Smokey Mountain Knifeworks

SpyderEdge... https://www.smkw.com/spyderco-massad-ay ... n-serrated

PlainEdge... https://www.smkw.com/spyderco-massad-ay ... plain-edge
I just wanted to say thank you for posting :hundred-points , this is one that is hard to find and thanks to you I just ordered mine.
V1.5

Post by V1.5 »

I just missed the serrated edge model @ Smokey Mountain Knifeworks. Man, this is getting to be quite the endeavor to find one. The search continues...
Thanks for the leads everyone!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

V1.5 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:33 am
I just missed the serrated edge model @ Smokey Mountain Knifeworks. Man, this is getting to be quite the endeavor to find one. The search continues...
It truly is mind blowing to me that there is such a constant, urgent demand for the serrated version. And most everyone that e-mails me is looking for the SE unit. I'm sure not having much luck finding a back up SE unit myself>> I'll take a factory second on both edge types if there are any available. This recent C-60 Cruwear Sprint Run has become my most favorite serrated Spyderco folder ever.

I'm doubtful if there will be any more of either edge type left by April Fool's Day. And I hope I'm wrong.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:40 pm
V1.5 wrote:
It truly is mind blowing to me that there is such a constant, urgent demand for the serrated version. And most everyone that e-mails me is looking for the SE unit. I'm sure not having much luck finding a back up SE unit myself>> I'll take a factory second on both edge types if there are any available. This recent C-60 Cruwear Sprint Run has become my most favorite serrated Spyderco folder ever.

I'm doubtful if there will be any more of either edge type left by April Fool's Day. And I hope I'm wrong.
I know what you mean I ordered the Serrated Edge for the sheer cutting power this thing must have with SE and a negative angle, Onions, celery, carrots, potatoes and Meat beware..... Muh ha, ha, ha..... Cardboard yer days are numbered!!!! :respect
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BeggarSo wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:24 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:40 pm
V1.5 wrote:

I know what you mean I ordered the Serrated Edge for the sheer cutting power this thing must have with SE and a negative angle, Onions, celery, carrots, potatoes and Meat beware..... Muh ha, ha, ha..... Cardboard yer days are numbered!!!! :respect
Very interesting observation in regards to the C-60 Ayoob being handy for food applications. They are excellent for several types of food prep. As I said earlier in this thread I had a friend who told me several years ago that the C-60 Ayoob was his favorite knife to fillet fish with.

This new serration pattern that they used on the Cruwear Ayoob Sprint model is truly changing the rules of the game in regards to serrated blades. This new one is so much better than the original SE version of the Ayoob. It cuts so much more proficiently than the original model that it's like a completely different model all together.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Glad to hear it I intend to Flitz mine as soon as it arrives.

Speaking of which I live in Florida and Smokey Mountain Knife Works is super fast with their free shipping, FedEx anticipates delivery tomorrow, cant wait!

A question. Is this knife stone washed as it appears in some photos?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BeggarSo wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:32 pm
Glad to hear it I intend to Flitz mine as soon as it arrives.

Speaking of which I live in Florida and Smokey Mountain Knife Works is super fast with their free shipping, FedEx anticipates delivery tomorrow, cant wait!

A question. Is this knife stone washed as it appears in some photos?
Both of my Cruwear Ayoob models have a type of Satin Finish but are not "Stonewashed". I do like some Stonewashed blades however. But I like this Cruwear Ayoob just the way it is.

Glad to hear that Smokey Mountain Knife Works has a good supply of knife maintenance products. I've only dealt with them on two occasions but I've been satisfied both times. I hope they get more of the C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run. There are so many guys still wanting this knife in both edge types.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

If for some reason I do not like it I'll put it up for sale for a price that will let me break even and not attempt to profit as I see others doing on the secondary market.