C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

ovgcguy wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:11 pm
I have both and think of them like children. They're different but equally good.

Cruwear plain edge can get wicked sharp, and I haven't even thinned it from its thick factory edge. I can get it to push cut paper with a 25* edge and thick blade which is impressive.

The serrated cuts more stuff better than almost any regular pocket knife in general. It is an ultimate matter separator that excels at its design intent.

I carry SE 2:1
I truly agree with "ovgguy" :cheap-sunglasses Because the C-60 Ayoob is one of the very few Spyderco models that I like equally in SE as I do in PE. And all the Spyderco models that I like equally in both edge types you can count on one hand with a finger remaining.

Now my advice on which edge type to get would solely depend on what his everyday cutting jobs consist of. This is one Spyderco model that you just can't go wrong no matter which edge type you can easily obtain. With so many dealers only having one or the other edge type in stock you may have to do a bit of searching to be able to get both the SE & PE.

But trust me on this one folks. Both edge types of the C-60 Cruwear Ayoob are worth the time it takes to seek them out.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Well, I ordered the SE version! I love the Moki lockbacks, plus serrations, plus cruwear, plus a pretty unique shape. A “no-brainer”, really.

As an aside, I’ve also enjoyed listening to Mr Ayoob’s rational and lucid opinions on YT. It’s been educational.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:32 pm
my personal opinion is that this knife only looks right in se. it cuts like a beast too. even a snaggletooth can't hold it back.
I do see your logic in selecting the full SE version of the C-60. However the same argument could be made with Spyderco's most iconic, symbolic model ever and that would be the POLICE model. For years I've seen a full SE version of the POLICE model in so many different settings over the years. But does that mean that the full PE version of the POLICE model ( or any particular model for that matter) is rubbish?? GOD FORBID no!!!!

Let's look at the stuff that made Spyderco famous and set apart from most knife companies to begin with. Yes it is their patented SPYDEREDGE which probably sets them apart more than anything else. OK with that said does that mean that any of their full plain edged models are sub-standard and second rate??? Heck NO!!!

This C-60 model like the POLICE model is a very cool and iconic looking and somewhat typical example of what Spyderco does best. Personally I think both models make a statement for Spyderco irrespective of which edge type you select. And those are two Spyderco models that can serve you well in SE or PE>>> or whatever your personal needs dictate.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

of course everyone can decide for themselves what they like and want. for me, part of the reason this knife should be se is that it's the way i first saw the knife and i also happen to like se. combine that with the sd nature of the design and extreme negative angle that kind of reminds me of some kind of reptilian predator and it makes me want it in se. funny thing is it's my first cruwear knife and i always expected i'd try a pe cruwear instead of a se cruwear, but i have no desire (personally) for a pe ayoob. i guess that just means that i need some other knife in pe cruwear and i'll still dream for a se ayoob in lc200n or some other salt steel.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Is the Ayoob the first serrated cruwear blade for Spyderco?

The more I looked into it, the more compelling it became. I blame JD as enabler-in-chief on this one…
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

My reasoning for my choice:
If I can not sharpen it easily with the tools I have then I really don't want to be involved with it. What good is an edge if you cant re-sharpen it, be it PE or SE? I did not want to sharpen this SE Cruwear edge based on the pictures I saw of it. The angle was STEEP and using the SM at 15dps looked like it would get rid of the SE and give mostly a wavy PE. Someone did sharpen theirs with the 15dps setting and it did look to be a wavy PE, so for my reasoning it was "confirmed" in at least one instance. I did not want the 20dps setting. I wanted something I knew I could easily sharpen to whatever angle I wanted, PE gives me that option on this knife. Other SE Spyderco knives I do not seem to have this same issue, using the SM at 15dps gives a great edge on them.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:18 am
Well, I ordered the SE version! I love the Moki lockbacks, plus serrations, plus cruwear, plus a pretty unique shape. A “no-brainer”, really.

As an aside, I’ve also enjoyed listening to Mr Ayoob’s rational and lucid opinions on YT. It’s been educational.
Where'd you find a SE version? I've been waiting on MidwayUSA to restock with fingers crossed...
- Richard
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:59 am
of course everyone can decide for themselves what they like and want. for me, part of the reason this knife should be se is that it's the way i first saw the knife and i also happen to like se. combine that with the sd nature of the design and extreme negative angle that kind of reminds me of some kind of reptilian predator and it makes me want it in se. funny thing is it's my first cruwear knife and i always expected i'd try a pe cruwear instead of a se cruwear, but i have no desire (personally) for a pe ayoob. i guess that just means that i need some other knife in pe cruwear and i'll still dream for a se ayoob in lc200n or some other salt steel.
Well Brother It's my first Cruwear Spyder as well. And I'm not sure if this Sprint Run C-60 was the first Cruwear model in SE or not. However I had been keeping my eye on some of the new models made with Cruwear blade steel. I'm extremely happy with the blade steel selection for this new C-60 Ayoob. If they ever did make the C-60 Ayoob a full production model again I don't think you could beat Cruwear for this type of a blade.

I'm extremely satisfied with both of my new Cruwear Ayoob models. Neither one will ever be a Safe Queen and I plan on using both of them a lot. I've been extremely happy cutting up some fish recently with my full SE version and it cuts up fish like a laser. These serrations on the new C-60 cut straighter than about any other full SE Spyder I've ever used. Only my older AUS-8, full SE Catcherman model cuts as good as this new full SE Ayoob does. I love this newer serration pattern that they used on the new C-60 Sprint Run. I hope we see many more models with this type of serration pattern. I can only imagine how nice a C-36 Military in SE would be like with this type of serration pattern.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

riclaw wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:21 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:18 am

Where'd you find a SE version? I've been waiting on MidwayUSA to restock with fingers crossed...
The U.K. importer still has them in stock.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:09 pm
I love this newer serration pattern that they used on the new C-60 Sprint Run. I hope we see many more models with this type of serration pattern. I can only imagine how nice a C-36 Military in SE would be like with this type of serration pattern.
i really like it too. i'm surprised there have been some that dislike it. all the cutting power of serrations and none of the snags... what's not to like? of course, i'm speaking about most of the serration pattern and not the snaggy bucktooth that many of us got as an added bonus feature.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ovgcguy

Post by ovgcguy »

I'll be at Shot Show and see if anyone in the Spyderco booth will let me record them demonstrating an experienced person sharpening the SE Ayoob.
I have seen general se sharpening videos, but the ayoob is rather unique and would love to see an authoritative example specifically on this blade. And hear them discuss the nuances of sharpening the ayoob.
JSNV

Post by JSNV »

I sharpened my SE version after the Christmas onslaught (cardboard, zip ties and tape) on my sharpmaker using one medium (brown) rod at 15degrees then lightly stropped it (bark river black paste) and brought it completely back to life and then some. Cruwear is hands down my favorite steel to sharpen.

I used Vivi’s video here as a reference (I’ve used it before when sharpening my SE Caribbean with aweome results):

viewtopic.php?t=84544

Good luck and enjoy the process!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:39 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:09 pm
I love this newer serration pattern that they used on the new C-60 Sprint Run. I hope we see many more models with this type of serration pattern. I can only imagine how nice a C-36 Military in SE would be like with this type of serration pattern.
i really like it too. i'm surprised there have been some that dislike it. all the cutting power of serrations and none of the snags... what's not to like? of course, i'm speaking about most of the serration pattern and not the snaggy bucktooth that many of us got as an added bonus feature.
Well Bro I couldn't have described the newer/better serration pattern on the Cruwear Ayoob Sprint Run any more precise than you just did. There is no snagging or hanging up with this particular serration pattern. It also has the ability to penetrate much better than most of Spyderco's older serration patterns do. It's a grand improvement to say the least. If you ever get a chance to buy one of the old original Catcherman models made during the AUS-8 era you'll see what I've been driving at for some time now. Because the SE Pattern on that older Catcherman is about as close as you'll get to this newer pattern.

But these serrations on the new C-60 Cruwear Ayoob are really designed to penetrate far better and with much less resistance than most full SE blades are capable of. Also this Cruwear blade steel is not hard to sharpen in either SE or PE. It's a bit more time consuming in one sense but that's because the Cruwear blade is a premium quality cutlery steel. I've sharpened my Cruwear Ayoob in both PE & SE a couple of times now and I had no problems to speak of at all. However I don't let any of my blades get very dull in the first place ( PE or SE). Actually I fine tune blades far more than I give them a complete sharpening overhaul. The Cruwear was an excellent selection for this model in my humble opinion.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:04 pm

The more I looked into it, the more compelling it became. I blame JD as enabler-in-chief on this one…
Heck no!! The original C-60 Ayoob model ( PE or SE) wasn't even introduced until late 2001/early 2002. There were several mainline Spyderco models with Spyderedges a long time before the Ayoob was even in existence.

However I do think that the Ayoob model did change the game for serrated edged folders. Because up till it was released I don't recall any full SE Spyders with that type of blade geometry.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:34 am
ChrisinHove wrote:

Heck no!! The original C-60 Ayoob model ( PE or SE) wasn't even introduced until late 2001/early 2002. There were several mainline Spyderco models with Spyderedges a long time before the Ayoob was even in existence.

However I do think that the Ayoob model did change the game for serrated edged folders. Because up till it was released I don't recall any full SE Spyders with that type of blade geometry.
Well it arrived today - and wow! - what a blade! It certainly feels like it should be a very useful geometry (in a non SD way, but I’ve no doubt about that, either). Ergo’s are perfect for my XL hands. A drop of nano-oil and it’s as smooth as you like, and the lock bar is seating perfectly. Sharp, too…
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:46 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:34 am
ChrisinHove wrote:

Well it arrived today - and wow! - what a blade! It certainly feels like it should be a very useful geometry (in a non SD way, but I’ve no doubt about that, either). Ergo’s are perfect for my XL hands. A drop of nano-oil and it’s as smooth as you like, and the lock bar is seating perfectly. Sharp, too…
Well congratulations are in order. That's what everyone who doubts this great model must do. You absolutely must take the plunge and go ahead and fork out the dough and just get the one edge type you want most. And the rest will be history as they say.

And it won't be much longer you'll want the other edge type as well. Unless you're like my ol buddy Evil D who is a "SE ONLY" man. And that's all right too if you've decided that SE will do everything you desire. But "USING IS BELIEVING" with this model.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Normally I keep the Ayoob on my desk, that way it's always within reach for any cutting task or just playing around with it. I spent the past five weeks in Texas, which means no Ayoob. I'm back in Boston, and I've reached for the knife a couple of times. I was shocked at how smooth it felt, how well it cut, etc. It was like I was using it again for the first time.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:18 pm
Normally I keep the Ayoob on my desk, that way it's always within reach for any cutting task or just playing around with it. I spent the past five weeks in Texas, which means no Ayoob. I'm back in Boston, and I've reached for the knife a couple of times. I was shocked at how smooth it felt, how well it cut, etc. It was like I was using it again for the first time.
Going back even to the day I bought my first full SE Spyder which was a 1995 Mariner model. It had GIN-1 blade steel to show you how long ago it was. And I had owned at least 6 to 8 full SE Spyderco models before I got my 2001 era C-60 Ayoob in full SE. Again the C-60 Ayoob truly changed the game for me with full SE blades all together.

And you are so right about the C-60 having an incredibly smooth operation. Even the older versions of the Ayoob were nice to work with. I'm still holding out hope that Mr. Glesser will at some point have a change of heart and reconsider doing more of the C-60 model. This Sprint Run has a customer satisfaction which will compete with even the most loved models ever IMO.

I do think this C-60 Cruwear Sprint Run was a "WIN-WIN" for both the company and the end line users/collectors.
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

Anyone know the HRC (Rockwell Hardness) on our new C60?

I am reprofiling my plain edge variant using the CBN rods at 15 degrees and its a slow process for sure. Granted I am using a light touch as needed for the CBN corners but it seems like some pretty hard steel. Looking forward to the reprofiled edge and a great EDC knife here.

Thanks JD and Sal!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Kleon wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:54 am
Anyone know the HRC (Rockwell Hardness) on our new C60?

I am reprofiling my plain edge variant using the CBN rods at 15 degrees and its a slow process for sure. Granted I am using a light touch as needed for the CBN corners but it seems like some pretty hard steel. Looking forward to the reprofiled edge and a great EDC knife here.

Thanks JD and Sal!
Based on using both the PE & SE I'm making a wild guess >> but I think I'm relatively close. I'm guessing it to be around 60 to 61 HRC.

Also I'm basing that guess on how the Cruwear reacts to the Ultra-Fine Stones in my 204 Sharpmaker when I'm fine tuning the edge on the PE unit. The really hard stones like the Ultra-Fine stone seem to skate off the really hard blade steels rather than feeling a pronounced abrasive action.

I would now like to know what the actual Rockwell hardness is myself on the Cruwear, C-60 blade just to see how close I am on my guess.