C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mrj

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Mrj »

V1.5 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:18 am
I believe I have searched for a SE model at every legit knife retailer in the USA. No luck finding a SE model. Out of stock everywhere.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025355319
Hasn’t dropped here yet
MRj “Weak things break!”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Is it fair to say that all USA dealers are completely sold out of the C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run ( PE or SE)? Or are there any units left in distributor warehouses, dealer's shelves or in the hands of Ebay type hoarders?

Would Spyderco's sales department even know the answer to this question? Or are distributors holding back for whatever reasons?

The reason I ask these questions is because I personally haven't seen any of these C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run listed for outrageous prices as of yet like I have with other depleted Sprint Runs in the past. It's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out with the popularity of this particular Sprint Run.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Mrj wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:17 am
V1.5 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:18 am
I believe I have searched for a SE model at every legit knife retailer in the USA. No luck finding a SE model. Out of stock everywhere.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025355319
Hasn’t dropped here yet
Try City Arsenal . Both models were available.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:56 pm
Is it fair to say that all USA dealers are completely sold out of the C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run ( PE or SE)? Or are there any units left in distributor warehouses, dealer's shelves or in the hands of Ebay type hoarders?

Would Spyderco's sales department even know the answer to this question? Or are distributors holding back for whatever reasons?

The reason I ask these questions is because I personally haven't seen any of these C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run listed for outrageous prices as of yet like I have with other depleted Sprint Runs in the past. It's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out with the popularity of this particular Sprint Run.
There's a plain edge Ayoob listed on ACK for $395. It's been there since January 13 and no one has gotten it yet, so maybe folks are still able to find them through the dealer network.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mikey177 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:20 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:56 pm

There's a plain edge Ayoob listed on ACK for $395. It's been there since January 13 and no one has gotten it yet, so maybe folks are still able to find them through the dealer network.
That's even above MSRP?? But being it's a Sprint Run I seriously doubt if anyone will make waves.

I got a feeling that the remaining Sprint Runs will just get higher and higher. It will probably even sell at that price in the next month or so. At some point I do believe that Spyderco will eventually consider doing more runs. I can't recall a Sprint Run that has stayed this popular for this long.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

City Arsenal OS , checked again this morning . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSNV

Post by JSNV »

House of Knives in Canada has some of the PE version left.

https://houseofknives.ca/spyderco-massa ... y-c60gpgy/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:22 am
What price are these Ayoob Sprint Runs still selling for? I've been hearing prices as high as $385 for the PE. It's so strange that the serrated models sold out first on this model. Because for years the company would have several of the serrated units left over after all the PE units sell out. But I guess this C-60 Sprint Run is a completely different animal all together.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've been telling you... the ayoob is supposed to be se.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:09 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:22 am
What price are these Ayoob Sprint Runs still selling for? I've been hearing prices as high as $385 for the PE. It's so strange that the serrated models sold out first on this model. Because for years the company would have several of the serrated units left over after all the PE units sell out. But I guess this C-60 Sprint Run is a completely different animal all together.
Joe the City Arsenal pricing was MAP before OS . I must say You guys are on to something with this model in SE . I need to at least get a couple SE in play and wish I had not missed this one . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
V1.5

Post by V1.5 »

Thanks, I'll try MidwayUSA for a SE model (City Arsenal is out of stock). Not sure I believe they will get them in, but I'll give it a try. I've seen other items at MidwayUSA have preorder dates like this that never happen. Thanks for the leads everyone!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

V1.5 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:40 am
Thanks, I'll try MidwayUSA for a SE model (City Arsenal is out of stock). Not sure I believe they will get them in, but I'll give it a try. I've seen other items at MidwayUSA have preorder dates like this that never happen. Thanks for the leads everyone!
I'm now wondering ultimately how many of these C-60 Sprint Run models they manufactured? Whatever the number I do think they will wish they made quite a few more. It's hard to believe that there is still a constant demand for the Cruwear Ayoob even at this point in time. I don't recall hardly any serrated model that had the demand that this C-60 has had.

I'm sure that most people that have gotten one of these Cruwear Ayoob models for the very first time are blown away at how ergonomic and functional the C-60 Ayoob model is. I'm hoping at some point that Mr. Massad Ayoob himself will hopefully design another great folder. For a guy who is a firearms expert he sure put together a design that many hard core knife fans fully respect.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Eagle Valley Cutlery... SpyderEdge... https://eaglevalleycutlery.com/collecti ... sprint-run

Edit: Out of stock
Last edited by Buddafucco on Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:22 am
Eagle Valley Cutlery... SpyderEdge... https://eaglevalleycutlery.com/collecti ... sprint-run
Some of these dealers must still be getting a trickle of them from the factory it would seem. Because both edge types have been difficult to find for some time now. But they are not yet impossible to find.

I do find it really interesting that the Spyderedged units seem to be selling faster than the plain edge. I don't ever recall that happening before.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

https://youtu.be/sUJd3N8X9Rg

I found this pretty interesting. As of 11 months ago it would seem the man himself is still carrying an original. I know this is slightly off topic but clearly he still believes in his design. 5:26 mark you can clearly see the yellow spyder on the black clip.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

When you work for certain parts of the government you come across a pretty good collection of what I call 'the lethal old men of the world'. They aren't muscular like the operators, they're grizzled looking with an old man's loose skin, they have these slow deliberate movements and while they don't seem like much from a distance, you get up close to one and they'll look at you and you suddenly know what you're standing next to. It's like they have this field coming off of them -- it isn't even FAFO because there's no invitation and no mystery involved. It's more like if you turn into the sort of problem they've got to solve, they will end you like a bug hitting a windshield, probability 1.000, full stop, and then they will finish their coffee. Like, they will expend all of one calorie in the process.

Watching Massad Ayoob is like taking a masterclass in that vibe, without him having to flex so much as once. Dude's optimized.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I first learned of the man "Massad Ayoob" all the way back to the mid to late 90s when he was doing magazine articles for a publication known as "BackWoodsHome". It was a country living/survival type of magazine that I still read on occasion. His articles about firearms were timely and intriguing.

In the early 2000s when Spyderco put out the C-60 Ayoob model it immediately caught my attention and then 2 months later I bought one at the 2002 BLADE Show. I've been in love with that model ever since. It's truly one of my top 5 most favorite Spyderco models of all time. It's even my my #1 fav on occasions.

I just hope that by some miracle we can persuade him to draw up plans for a new folder. I'm sure after all these years have past that he would have some great ideas for a new folder. And I'm relatively sure that Spyderco would love to take it on. I hope I'm not speaking out of turn.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

MRj “Weak things break!”
Reddington

Post by Reddington »

Mrj wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:38 am
https://pureblades.com/massad-ayoob-spr ... o-c60gpgy/

Plain Edge
Ugh. This run should have SE only.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reddington wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:28 am
Mrj wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:38 am
https://pureblades.com/massad-ayoob-spr ... o-c60gpgy/

Plain Edge
Ugh. This run should have SE only.
I very respectfully disagree with you on that issue. Because the C-60 Ayoob is one of the very few Spyderco folders that I find the plain edge to be just as useful and versatile as the serrated version.

Both edge types from this great design are so versatile you could literally use it for anything from a culinary blade to an outdoor hunter/folder to an all purpose utility knife.

No both edge types are extremely valuable in my humble opinion. But I will admit that the serrated version of the C-60 is probably Spyderco's very best serrated folder ever. It has a convex edge that will take on any cutting chore. Albeit the plain edge is extremely useful for a wide range of cutting jobs. I just hope this Sprint Run isn't the end of the C-60 Ayoob model.