C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Evil D »

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:16 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:15 pm
One being that there is a lot of desire among the fans that would like to see a "SALT" version of the C-60 Ayoob.
Given the comments about how easy this knife is to carry in an inconspicuous manner, would you want to see the brightly colored scales on this knife? That would seem to go against the tactical nature of the knife, though I do understand that many will use it in an EDC role.

Salt models are also offered in all black/DLC too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:30 am
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Well, never mind then.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:43 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:30 am
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Well, never mind then.
Also, for some people, a bright yellow handled knife is A LOT easier to explain away as a tool.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

This one of those things where I'm really looking forward to getting one of each (SE/PE) regardless of steel chosen, pinned/screw construction, handle material, etc. My only real concern would be whether or not Moki has their Mojo back but I have faith in Sal.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:16 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:15 pm
One being that there is a lot of desire among the fans that would like to see a "SALT" version of the C-60 Ayoob.
Given the comments about how easy this knife is to carry in an inconspicuous manner, would you want to see the brightly colored scales on this knife? That would seem to go against the tactical nature of the knife, though I do understand that many will use it in an EDC role.
Now I did mention earlier in the thread that I would be all for having different handle colors for the different edge types. Just like when they launched the original VG-10 Spyderhawk back in 2003. They made the full SE Spyderhawk with a black handle and they made the PE model with a blue handle. I still have both of those by the way and the blue PE unit is getting extremely tough to find.

But I would like the two C-60 models in relatively darker colors>> for instance you could make the PE in black G-10 and the SE in a dark blue or a dark burgundy G-10 handle. If they do indeed use G-10 scales ( and I hope they do) then they should be able to do that easily without raising the manufacturing costs.
Amon

Post by Amon »

One point that i would like to discuss are the Markings on Blade. For my Taste the older Markings are much nicer. The Spyder Logo on the Sprint Run looks not harmonious to the Design of the Blade or maybe it is possible to create an Massad Ayoob Logo instead of the long letterering.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Amon wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:19 am
One point that i would like to discuss are the Markings on Blade. For my Taste the older Markings are much nicer. The Spyder Logo on the Sprint Run looks not harmonious to the Design of the Blade or maybe it is possible to create an Massad Ayoob Logo instead of the long letterering.
Glad you brought that up because I liked the original markings myself. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with them doing it either way. I just happy as a kid on Christmas morning that we are getting a new version of this "Super Classic"

They could do his Logo on the handle and maybe his name on the blade. But again it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me either way they would do it.

But the more I'm thinking about it I still like the idea of doing the plain edged version in black and maybe the serrated versions in maroon or dark blue>> or any nice color combo for that matter.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Burton Knut wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:27 pm
So I got mine last week and I’ve found it doesn’t carry well in the front right pocket. Well it carries fine but having to reach into the pocket the corners of the handle are kind of harsh on the side of my hand. Has any one dulled the corners? Or settled on back pocket carry? IWB? Other ideas?
Yeah, jamming the side of your hand past the jimping on the back of RFP-resident Woody Woodpecker’s head is unpleasant.

I moved the clip to the presentation side. Problem fixed for me. If quick deployment is your thing, maybe not a fix, but I adhere to the adage “slow is smooth, and smooth is fast”.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Burton Knut wrote:
So I got mine last week and I’ve found it doesn’t carry well in the front right pocket. Well it carries fine but having to reach into the pocket the corners of the handle are kind of harsh on the side of my hand. Has any one dulled the corners? Or settled on back pocket carry? IWB? Other ideas?
I saw "wrdwrght" respond to this post and it got my curiosity going. I've been carrying my G-10 Sprint Run of the C -60 Ayoob for the past two days now and I've been carrying it in the right front pocket as you described. To be honest I haven't really noticed a great deal of difference than when I carry my M390 Military model>> which is a slightly bigger folder by the way. I find both folders relatively easy to deploy and they both fit my clothes nicely.

But for the past two days I've used the C-60 probably 4 to 5 times in routine cutting chores and I haven't had the problem you've described. I'm not at all doubting you but I am wondering how you are encountering this type of problem? Because so far I haven't had that problem at all. Now I actually found the original ( 2002 original first run C-60, Almite/aluminum handle) a bit more cumbersome than I do the more recent G-10 handled version. I always thought the newer G-10 version was a great improvement.

I've enjoyed carrying this G-10 version so much I might just give my M390 Military a long break. I just love the geometry of the blade on this C-60 and the handle literally fits my hand as though it was custom made for me. I also find the blade on the C-60 a bit easier to open and deploy than I do the the blade on the M390 Military model. Both knives are great and I'm not knocking either one of them>> and both of them are permanent keepers for me. But the overall design of the C-60 just seems to be working just a bit better for me. But I am interested as to why you're encountering this problem :confused: ???
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:29 pm
Burton Knut wrote:
I saw "wrdwrght" respond to this post and it got my curiosity going. I've been carrying my G-10 Sprint Run of the C -60 Ayoob for the past two days now and I've been carrying it in the right front pocket as you described. To be honest I haven't really noticed a great deal of difference than when I carry my M390 Military model>> which is a slightly bigger folder by the way. I find both folders relatively easy to deploy and they both fit my clothes nicely.

But for the past two days I've used the C-60 probably 4 to 5 times in routine cutting chores and I haven't had the problem you've described. I'm not at all doubting you but I am wondering how you are encountering this type of problem? Because so far I haven't had that problem at all. Now I actually found the original ( 2002 original first run C-60, Almite/aluminum handle) a bit more cumbersome than I do the more recent G-10 handled version. I always thought the newer G-10 version was a great improvement.

I've enjoyed carrying this G-10 version so much I might just give my M390 Military a long break. I just love the geometry of the blade on this C-60 and the handle literally fits my hand as though it was custom made for me. I also find the blade on the C-60 a bit easier to open and deploy than I do the the blade on the M390 Military model. Both knives are great and I'm not knocking either one of them>> and both of them are permanent keepers for me. But the overall design of the C-60 just seems to be working just a bit better for me. But I am interested as to why you're encountering this problem :confused: ???
I’ll try to post a pic tonight. It’s the tip of the “guard” that gets me. It’s not exceptionally sharp but when the side a my hand rubs across it the feeling isn’t exactly pleasant. I’m considering a bit of time with a file to round it off some.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Years of carrying a Military have taught me to just dedicate my right front pocket to my knife and if I do carry anything else in that pocket it's not something I need to pull out often.
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Just to be clear, a Millie, which is currently in my typically-worn jeans’ RFP, has a jimped thumb ramp that is gentler (thus kinder) than the Ayoob.

Consequently, I’ve not found it necessary to avoid putting other stuff in that pocket. I can dig that stuff out without scraping the side of my hand. Not so with the Ayoob. Rather than not put other stuff in its pocket, I simply opted to reverse its clip, an option the Millie obviously doesn’t have.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:27 am
Just to be clear, a Millie, which is currently in my typically-worn jeans’ RFP, has a jimped thumb ramp that is gentler (thus kinder) than the Ayoob.

Consequently, I’ve not found it necessary to avoid putting other stuff in that pocket. I can dig that stuff out without scraping the side of my hand. Not so with the Ayoob. Rather than not put other stuff in its pocket, I simply opted to reverse its clip, an option the Millie obviously doesn’t have.

It sounds like this version will get the 4 way clip option so hopefully there's a configuration that works around this.
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:32 pm
It sounds like this version will get the 4 way clip option so hopefully there's a configuration that works around this.
That’s good to know. SE and a 4-way option make it a firm buy for me.

benben

Post by benben »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:40 am
Years of carrying a Military have taught me to just dedicate my right front pocket to my knife and if I do carry anything else in that pocket it's not something I need to pull out often.
This here! My right front pocket is dedicated to carrying a knife only.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:51 pm
Evil D wrote:
This still just really blows me away that we've seen such a complete "turn-around" in overall attitude pertaining to Spyderco's great SE models. Just 4 years ago it seems that guys like me, David(evil d), and about 8 others I could name were like an exclusive group or a private club with our love of the SE Spyders. But perseverance has apparently paid off>> and paid off nicely.

Because in the past 2 to 3 years I'm seeing a complete revival of Spyderco blades with TEETH on them :cool: Brother "wrdwrght" should be taken seriously with his last post because the C-60 in full SE is a mega-beast of a cutter. It's most definitely of the 3 best SE blades Spyderco ever made IMO. I'm almost completely comfortable giving everyone a guarantee of satisfaction if they would buy a full SE version of the C-60.

I'm wondering now if the SE version of the C-60 might even have a higher demand than the plain edge?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i have very little interest in this knife in pe. some models are made for serrations and this is one of them.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:27 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:51 pm
Evil D wrote:
This still just really blows me away that we've seen such a complete "turn-around" in overall attitude pertaining to Spyderco's great SE models. Just 4 years ago it seems that guys like me, David(evil d), and about 8 others I could name were like an exclusive group or a private club with our love of the SE Spyders. But perseverance has apparently paid off>> and paid off nicely.

Because in the past 2 to 3 years I'm seeing a complete revival of Spyderco blades with TEETH on them :cool: Brother "wrdwrght" should be taken seriously with his last post because the C-60 in full SE is a mega-beast of a cutter. It's most definitely of the 3 best SE blades Spyderco ever made IMO. I'm almost completely comfortable giving everyone a guarantee of satisfaction if they would buy a full SE version of the C-60.

I'm wondering now if the SE version of the C-60 might even have a higher demand than the plain edge?

I’ve never gotten away from liking SE, and even preferring it on some knives. I started appreciating SE back in 1998, when I got my first Endura, which was a combo-edge. And got my first Sharpmaker.

If I can snag a C-60, I’m only going for the SE version.

Jim
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Me too Jim.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:31 pm
i have very little interest in this knife in pe. some models are made for serrations and this is one of them.
Believe me I fully understand you guys who are "SE ONLY" in the upcoming C-60 Sprint Run. But don't sell the PE version short without giving it a chance. Because I've been EDCing one of my G-10 Sprint Run PE version C-60 Ayoob model and I'm now feeling like semi-retiring my M390 Military model which was my main EDC for over 4 years. I've found the narrow blade on the C-60 to be much more agile than I even remember. It is kind of going backward in one sense trading an M390 bladed folder for a VG-10 folder. However I find the PE C-60 Ayoob to be so wonderfully ergonomic that I just don't miss the M390 Military model all that bad. I carry one full PE folder and one full SE folder every day and I have going that route for "every day carry" for quite some time now ( about 10 years).

And that says a lot from me because that M390 Military model was instantly my main sidekick and when I first got it ( close to 5 years ago). I thought I had the greatest EDC of all time when I scored that M390 Millie in a trade. But it only took me 3 days to change my mind and go back to one of my all time favorite folders ever and that being the PE Ayoob, G-10 model. Oh sure I'm getting a couple of the SE versions in the upcoming C-60 Sprint Run myself but the PE version is also awesome and I'm getting at least one, and maybe two of the PE version as well. The C-60 is one model that I like both edge types almost equally. Come on guys please give the PE version of the C-60 a chance before you guys write it off completely. But do go ahead and get your SE versions too>> you won't regret it ;)