C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by benben »

Hope this is okay to post here? This is a message I sent to Mr. Ayoob on Glocktalk back on June 27th, he seemed genuinely happy to see one and that I got my hands on a nice one! He gave a short little description on his design.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/look- ... s.1838756/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:14 pm
Hope this is okay to post here? This is a message I sent to Mr. Ayoob on Glocktalk back on June 27th, he seemed genuinely happy to see one and that I got my hands on a nice one! He gave a short little description on his design.

The part where he said "Sales Were Disappointing" really floored me. That's the first I've heard that. It might be because the design was that far ahead of it's time. I bet a second time around would sure be a different result all together.

Massad Ayoob is a great guy and I've read quite a few of his "firearm" articles in "BackWoodsHome" magazine>> of which he was a regular contributor for quite some time>> he may still be for all I know.

He also had a fixed blade that was put out by MOD at the time. I believe it was called the Razorback if I remember correctly.

What the heck I would also like to see him put out a new folder design. However it would be tough to improve on the C-60
benben

Post by benben »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:22 pm
benben wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:14 pm

The part where he said "Sales Were Disappointing" really floored me. That's the first I've heard that. It might be because the design was that far ahead of it's time. I bet a second time around would sure be a different result all together.

Massad Ayoob is a great guy and I've read quite a few of his "firearm" articles in "BackWoodsHome" magazine>> of which he was a regular contributor for quite some time>> he may still be for all I know.

He also had a fixed blade that was put out by MOD at the time. I believe it was called the Razorback if I remember correctly.

What the heck I would also like to see him put out a new folder design. However it would be tough to improve on the C-60
Yep, the day he wrote that it really stood out to me as well.....
Browncoat

Post by Browncoat »

I'll take one! I've wanted to try an Ayoob for a while now. This is probably the only spyder without a reverse-s blade I really want to see come back.
My only caveat is it must be available in SE.
marshmallow

Post by marshmallow »

Anyone know if a knife is discontinued for a year or two and stated as "discontinued," has Spyderco ever re-released a Sprint run of such knife again?
"stay puft."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I guess we'll just have to bump this thread everyday until it gets into production?

Or maybe TWO threads?

"From now on I'll write two letters a week instead of one"

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Browncoat wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:16 pm
I'll take one! I've wanted to try an Ayoob for a while now. This is probably the only spyder without a reverse-s blade I really want to see come back.
My only caveat is it must be available in SE.
I hear you Brother!! I think that's pretty much across the board as far as people wanting this model in SE & PE both. It was a major disappointment in 2011 when they released the first Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob with a G-10 handle. It was a gorgeous folder and the G-10 handle was a great addition over the original. However they didn't offer it in SE as they did in the original 2002 run of that model. With serrated blades picking up in popularity I do believe that the sales charts won't disappoint anyone.

Based on what I'm hearing the Ayoob should be done in new materials and be available in PE & SE both if we can get a new Sprint Run. It's really blowing my mind how many people are asking for a serrated/Spyderedged Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob compared to what the preferences were even just 5 years ago. Also over half of the respondents are wanting to see a C-60 in Spyderedge as well as in plain edge.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Realistically I'd probably buy one of each edge type, but I would be extremely let down if PE were the only option.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:39 pm
Realistically I'd probably buy one of each edge type, but I would be extremely let down if PE were the only option.
Yeah and everyone of us posting need to let Mr. Glesser and all the decision makers at the Great Spyder Factory know this. We politely and respectfully want both edge types.

Now I probably wouldn't care for the C-60 in CE (combo edge)>> that's one model where the blade design I don't believe would do justice for a combo edge.

In the past the other Ayoob models were Japan made Spyders>> which I have no qualms with but blade steel selection might be limited. However I'm sure that there are some blade steels in Japan ( besides VG-10) that would make most of us happy.
The C-60 Ayoob with premium materials with both edge types is the goal :cool: We must stay focused
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Definitely JD!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:57 pm
Evil D wrote:
Yeah and everyone of us posting need to let Mr. Glesser and all the decision makers at the Great Spyder Factory know this. We politely and respectfully want both edge types.

Now I probably wouldn't care for the C-60 in CE (combo edge)>> that's one model where the blade design I don't believe would do justice for a combo edge.

In the past the other Ayoob models were Japan made Spyders>> which I have no qualms with but blade steel selection might be limited. However I'm sure that there are some blade steels in Japan ( besides VG-10) that would make most of us happy.
The C-60 Ayoob with premium materials with both edge types is the goal :cool: We must stay focused

Well I'm pretty sure the very first issue is going to be the cost of G10 in Japan, this will no doubt be an expensive knife. The second question is do they still have the tooling to even make it? Apparently some older models can't even be brought back as a sprint, but at least this one had a sprint somewhat recently or at least since it was originally discontinued.

Lately with the SE thing, I have basically ignored and not really even considered buying new knives that aren't offered in SE. I just don't really have a use for PE anymore. However, models like the Ayoob and a few others from the past that I never got to own, I might break that rule. I'd be much more likely to buy one in PE to go with a SE version than I would just buying a PE version by itself.

I really regret not wanting/preferring SE back when most models were available in both edge types. I really like the idea of having a knife in both edge types, I feel like it's a great way to get an apples to apples comparison of how the edge types perform against each other. I gotta say though most models available today and new models coming out are losing my interest because of the lack of SE options. I wonder sometimes if my tastes will change in the future and I'll regret not buying some of the PE only options, I guess time will tell but I'm coming up on 3 years of 99.9% SE only carry and use and I'm practically anti PE at this point.

The only knife I've bought in 3 years that wasn't SE is my Cruwear Shaman...I bet Sal is sitting at his desk thinking "I wish you people would make up your minds!" LOL.
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

marshmallow wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:24 pm
Anyone know if a knife is discontinued for a year or two and stated as "discontinued," has Spyderco ever re-released a Sprint run of such knife again?
Yes, there have been multiple releases of discontinued knives, however the sprints are never exactly the same as each other. So there is still a good chance for this one to come again, just different than before in some way.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If the Ayoob is sprinted, I'll buy it. Any steel, any handle, PE or SE.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Honestly, if there was only one edge type, I'd rather it be SE on this one.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

David I've got a gut feeling that they could still do the C-60 Ayoob. The reason I say that is because when they did the previous sprint run ( G-10 handled version) it was 9 years after they did the original ( 2011). Even if they did a copy of the 2011 Sprint Run I would be cool with that if we could get a better blade steel than VG-10. And this is coming from a guy who is kind of a fan of VG-10. Actually I wouldn't mind if the serrated model was VG-10. I've found it to be decent steel for Spyderedges. But this knife design is so ergonomically genius I just think it deserves an upper tier blade steel ( especially for plain edge)>> and I've got a feeling I'm not alone with that sentiment.

I would be surprised if the tooling is eliminated on that one. The bottom line is Spyderco wants to know if they will indeed sell all of them and sell them at a decent price. As many of the newer members here that like that design I seriously doubt if they would have any problem selling those out. There's also a lot of guys who bought the original that are still around that would buy it too. It might take a month or two or three at the worst but I'm sure they would turn them. And I think just as many people would want the Spyderedged version as the PE. But I'm wide open if any of you or even if Spyderco has better suggestions for blade steel. A G-10 handle like the 2011 Sprint Run would be fine by me. I would want a pair of users and a pair for the collection.

I've always actually liked Japan made Spyders. I still own quite a few of them ( mostly VG-10). I do like the GOLDEN, CO units better because I like USA made stuff for the most part. I like the idea of putting my fellow USA citizens to work. I wouldn't even care if their Taiwan facility did it. It would be super cool if they could make it at the GOLDEN plant however. Until the General himself tells us it's a "NO GO" I'm going to keep this thread alive.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:12 pm
Evil D wrote:
Honestly, if there was only one edge type, I'd rather it be SE on this one.
I'm kind of with you on that one. However I've always like my C-60 Ayoob models in both edge types. But I sure like the G-10 handle on the 2011 Sprint Run far better than I liked that aluminum/Almite handle on the original>> and the original wasn't all that bad I just liked the grip in the G-10 better. Actually I couldn't imagine Spyderco making a model like the C-60 Ayoob in SE only. You would have a better chance of getting them to make it in PE only. But I hope we can get both.

But if you all have noticed in the past 2 years and especially after David's challenge ( Evil D) to carry a Spyderedged blade only for a lengthy time>> since then I've noticed that Serrated Spyders are getting more popular and more in demand. At least the talk on the forums indicate that. I would love to know what the company's actual sales charts would indicate.

To me this Ayoob model is the best ergonomically designed folder they have ever put out IMO. All the new people and all the long time Spyder fans deserve another shot at this great model. and I firmly do believe that there are others here that share that opinion as well.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

H-1 SE?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:55 pm
H-1 SE?

I'm definitely not opposed to an Ayoob Salt, but I'd be super shocked if that happens. H1 or LC200N would be high on my wish list but there are other steels I'd love to try with SE too.

Ultimately I'm in for any steel really. There are steels I'm definitely less interested in but I'm flexible if it makes the knife a reality.
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:52 pm
Ultimately I'm in for any steel really. There are steels I'm definitely less interested in but I'm flexible if it makes the knife a reality.
Ditto.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

ooh I've just looked it up and now I want one. This desperately needs modern update, 20cv and a comp lock perhaps? Comon sal!
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v