C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearrowland

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by bearrowland »

VG10 is fine by me, and the thing I like about this knife is how it carries.
sal wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:36 am
This maker hasn't worked with a non Japanese steel. I'm open for discussion, but in my opinion, VG-10 is one of the best all around steels available in Japan.

I also agree with Mas that the "carry" time is much greater than the "using" time and his design is hardly noticed when carrying.

sal
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
benben

Post by benben »

bearrowland wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:41 am
VG10 is fine by me, and the thing I like about this knife is how it carries.
sal wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:36 am
This maker hasn't worked with a non Japanese steel. I'm open for discussion, but in my opinion, VG-10 is one of the best all around steels available in Japan.

I also agree with Mas that the "carry" time is much greater than the "using" time and his design is hardly noticed when carrying.

sal
I agree, VG-10 is so easy to sharpen and get screaming sharp that edge retention is a non-issue to me. VG-10 is a great daily user steel.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I can't wait for the new models, will there be a "JD" on the box :) ?
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I’m happy with VG10. That’s great to see Mr. Ayoob here as well. I’m excited for this one.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Mas having weighed in, and now Sal getting excited, it’s almost like we might hear something special in “Reveal #6: The JD Edition”.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The thought that there may actually be two versions in the works (one sprint and one dealer exclusive) is so much more than I expected.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
benben

Post by benben »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:28 pm
The thought that there may actually be two versions in the works (one sprint and one dealer exclusive) is so much more than I expected.
Okay, so we know, or at least we think we somewhat know what to expect with the sprint? David, I think you’re another one of the voices here that the masses listen to..... you design the dealer exclusive, go!

Should be fun, and I’ll guess serrated LC200N to start with, you finish the rest please. ;)
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I maybe in the minority here, but most customers nowadays will look for higher-grade steels other than VG-10. I think this is an opportunity to explore other steel options, especially non-stainless steels. Part of the reason why sprints and dealer exclusives sell out fast is steel choices other than VG-10/S30V, and people will be left scratching their heads on why a potential Ayoob reboot with refinements on scale and other aspects of the knife would stick to VG-10.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

benben wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:08 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:28 pm
Okay, so we know, or at least we think we somewhat know what to expect with the sprint? David, I think you’re another one of the voices here that the masses listen to..... you design the dealer exclusive, go!

Should be fun, and I’ll guess serrated LC200N to start with, you finish the rest please. ;)

Man I'll be happy if at least one of them gets SE (hopefully both). I said already that I'd pony up for at least two of them if they're offered in SE and I'll stick to my word, maybe they'll both get it? I'm curious which dealer it is that's interesting in doing an exclusive because a few of them pretty much have their own signature color/steel combos, and for those who want different steel options that might be the more likely way of getting them. Sal said a page or so ago that the maker "hasn't worked with a non Japanese steel" so that right there may be the deciding factor for steel choices.

Anyway to more answer your post and to try to stick with Sal's thoughts on what steel might be realistic for this maker to produce, how about Super Blue and to keep it simple make it in the same blue/gray color that the other Super Blue sprints came in. I really don't care for clad blades but at least that would help with corrosion resistance for those who might intend to carry this one in waste band for self defense. I would really love to try a steel like this with serrations.

Now that I read that again I guess that sounds more like a Spyderco sprint than a dealer exclusive. I'd be interested in Blade HQ's jade/M4 combo but that goes back to what steels can be used and what can't. I guess Blade HQ did do the Bob Lum Chinese and Lum Tanto in jade and HAP40 so maybe that's a good combo for an exclusive. I know not everyone was crazy about the jade G10 but I bet it would sell out fast.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

nerdlock wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:16 pm
I maybe in the minority here, but most customers nowadays will look for higher-grade steels other than VG-10. I think this is an opportunity to explore other steel options, especially non-stainless steels. Part of the reason why sprints and dealer exclusives sell out fast is steel choices other than VG-10/S30V, and people will be left scratching their heads on why a potential Ayoob reboot with refinements on scale and other aspects of the knife would stick to VG-10.

Sal said a couple pages ago that the maker hasn't worked with non Japanese steels so that alone cuts down the options a lot. Then if we're staying true to the knife's design intent, some people may not want a non stainless steel that's prone to corrosion. If I had it my way I'd have this in LC200N or H1, but I'm also willing to compromise to get the knife into production.

Sal also said he's open to discussion, so excluding VG10 and sticking with Japanese options, what would you like?
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:25 pm
Mas having weighed in, and now Sal getting excited, it’s almost like we might hear something special in “Reveal #6: The JD Edition”.
Now you guys are "All Right" :cool: And I owe all you guys ( and girls :D ) a huge HIGH FIVE for all the help you Spyder-Brethren have been since the inception of this historic thread :)
All I ask is to have at least one PE and one SE of this new C-60 Sprint Run reserved for my "user" arsenal. And believe me both the SE & PE are going to be used and used a lot!! Oh sure I'll probably get a couple of extras for the long term collection. But it would be a sacrilege not to use a knife of this caliber :cool:

One big driving force in this thread was to make this model available again for all the newer Forum members and newcomer Spyder Fans to be able to experience this Super Classic first hand.

My ultimate goal is to eventually see the C-60 in a deluxe version with a supersteel blade and hopefully make it's way back to the main line up. But this is a Great Start and a HUGE VICTORY!! I can't thank all of you here enough. :cool: And I thank Mr. Glesser from the bottom of my heart as well. :)

Does that mean that this thread is over???. HECK NO!!! Keep it going and going strong :) Any suggestions and contributions
are highly appreciated.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Joe, I’ve gotta hand it to you, this is indeed an historic thread.

IF I could get my hands on a C60, I’d be happy with plain ol’ VG-10. Maybe there could be other tool steel versions for those who like that. I personally prefer stainless, and VG-10 would be up my alley. If I could afford one. I just purchased a SE Endela I’m happy with, but originally hadn’t thought I’d buy another knife this year, and almost certainly won’t be buying any other knives this year. If I do get a C60, much will depend on my finances and the model’s availability.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:39 pm
nerdlock wrote:

Sal said a couple pages ago that the maker hasn't worked with non Japanese steels so that alone cuts down the options a lot. Then if we're staying true to the knife's design intent, some people may not want a non stainless steel that's prone to corrosion. If I had it my way I'd have this in LC200N or H1, but I'm also willing to compromise to get the knife into production.

Sal also said he's open to discussion, so excluding VG10 and sticking with Japanese options, what would you like?
I still haven't got an answer to my question about HAP 40 as a possible blade steel to use in the C-60??

To re-make this model in a ramped up "screw construction" is a huge step forward. I'm wide open to many possible additional options.

David your question and/or comment about this new Sprint Run not going with either VG-10 or S30V is a good one to ask. And to be up front with you all it is a question I'm asking as well. But please let's don't lose sight of the fact that this new Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob is one great start in the right direction. I do believe if this new C-60 Ayoob ends up selling like Led Zeppelin tickets you can be assured that they will for sure consider another run after this one. Let's be thankful we have accomplished this first hurdle. I'm already thinking about a follow up to this Sprint Run. So let's make sure that this model sells out quickly.

Because I truly do want Spyderco to do well with this project so that they will feel like it is worth their while>> and hopefully profitable too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:01 pm

IF I could get my hands on a C60, I’d be happy with plain ol’ VG-10. Maybe there could be other tool steel versions for those who like that. I personally prefer stainless, and VG-10 would be up my alley. If I could afford one. I just purchased a SE Endela I’m happy with, but originally hadn’t thought I’d buy another knife this year, and almost certainly won’t be buying any other knives this year. If I do get a C60, much will depend on my finances and the model’s availability.

Jim
Well thank you for all the kind words Brother :) But in that last sentence where you say " If I do get a C60">> No dude!! :D that should read "I will get a C60 Sprint Run and I'll make a way to do it!! And Jim you won't regret it. If you get one and for some strange obscure reason you are not satisfied with it I will buy it from you. That's how confident I am that you are going to love this one :cool:

And I would recommend you to start out with the Spyderedged version. This is an awesome victory for the Spyderville community :cool: And I do believe that Spyderco themselves will agree when it's all said and done.

Now I can't give everyone that guarantee I just gave to Jim. But I can give all of you the assurance that if you give this one a try you will like it. Truthfully I think I've only ever talked to one person in the past 5 years that told me they didn't like the C-60.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

If not VG10, I’d take an SE H1 Ayoob, not for its Salt potential but for its toughness AND edge-holding. I now think LC200N in Japanese Spydies is a lost cause.

I wonder about SE Super Blue and K390 (both now coming out of Seki-City). Has any tool steel sported a Spyderedge? Wouldn’t the tendency to corrode weaken SE points eventually?

I’d be happy with VG10 or uncladded SuperBlue in a PE Ayoob, and would actually prefer a PE first, simply because my first curiosity is to discover the influence of extreme negative blade-angle on cutting-power. After all, Mas had something in mind with that angle.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:09 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:39 pm
nerdlock wrote:

I still haven't got an answer to my question about HAP 40 as a possible blade steel to use in the C-60??

To re-make this model in a ramped up "screw construction" is a huge step forward. I'm wide open to many possible additional options.

David your question and/or comment about this new Sprint Run not going with either VG-10 or S30V is a good one to ask. And to be up front with you all it is a question I'm asking as well. But please let's don't lose sight of the fact that this new Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob is one great start in the right direction. I do believe if this new C-60 Ayoob ends up selling like Led Zeppelin tickets you can be assured that they will for sure consider another run after this one. Let's be thankful we have accomplished this first hurdle. I'm already thinking about a follow up to this Sprint Run. So let's make sure that this model sells out quickly.

Because I truly do want Spyderco to do well with this project so that they will feel like it is worth their while>> and hopefully profitable too.

Sal will have to chime in on which maker is handling this, apparently it's a different maker than the one who makes the Delica since they're doing a Cruwear Delica exclusive and Sal said this maker hasn't worked with non Japanese steels.

A Cruwear Ayoob would be incredible.

A Cruwear Ayoob with micarta scales to match my Shaman would be even more incredibler lol.
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:16 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim
Well thank you for all the kind words Brother :) But in that last sentence where you say " If I do get a C60">> No dude!! :D that should read "I will get a C60 Sprint Run and I'll make a way to do it!! And Jim you won't regret it. If you get one and for some strange obscure reason you are not satisfied with it I will buy it from you. That's how confident I am that you are going to love this one :cool:

And I would recommend you to start out with the Spyderedged version. This is an awesome victory for the Spyderville community :cool: And I do believe that Spyderco themselves will agree when it's all said and done.

Now I can't give everyone that guarantee I just gave to Jim. But I can give all of you the assurance that if you give this one a try you will like it. Truthfully I think I've only ever talked to one person in the past 5 years that told me they didn't like the C-60.
Well, you’re right, Joe. I should say, “If I want it enough, I will find a way to get it!” TBH, it was this thread that has MADE me interested in getting one. Now I want one, and I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. ;)

Jim
benben

Post by benben »

nerdlock wrote:
I can’t disagree with a thing you said! I’d love to see this remake come in Cru-wear, 3V, 4V, M4, M390, 20CV.........but I think David gave you the proper answer / reasoning. David’s Super Blue suggestion is interesting.

It’s a Japanese built knife with Japanese tooling, they prefer Japanese steels. Even in VG-10 I really think this knife will sell extremely well just because of what it is, and the people who missed it the first time around won’t miss it this time, they’re interested in this knife, especially now!

The used Ayoob I just recently found, I don’t think it’s ever been sharpened? It was pretty sharp the day I got it, I spent maybe 10 minutes on it and turned it into a razor, it’s toothy sharp!

I’ve recently caught myself being a steel snob, my new Ayoob has brought me back to reality, it’s a fine steel. But again, I can’t disagree with anything you said in your post!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:21 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:16 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim

Well, you’re right, Joe. I should say, “If I want it enough, I will find a way to get it!” TBH, it was this thread that has MADE me interested in getting one. Now I want one, and I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. ;)
If there is a "WILL" there is a "WAY" my friend. :) I've got a feeling that when this project is released in the next few months ( hopefully sooner) we will see a literal throng of new C-60 Ayoob fans. And that's why it's so important for Spyderco to do this one in both edge types>> especially with the recent rise in popularity of the serrated Spyderco models.

I do feel confident that this one Sprint Run will just be a start. I believe there will be a big interest in this model after this Sprint Run and I do think people will want a newer one with another blade steel. Again I wouldn't be surprised if this would go over so well that the C-60 will once again be in the main line up. Because look at how many people we have in our community that have never gotten to try a C-60 model. I am really anxious to see how well received this new C-60 will be.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Unless Sal is withholding information from us (nooooo he wouldn't do that ;)) these knives may take a couple years to get into our hands. It had been said before that sprints and especially exclusives are usually a couple years in the making. That's a bummer to think about but at least it's something to look forward to. If that's the case I'll do my part to keep the hype train moving :D
~David