C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by benben »

Yeah I was thinking a year minimum.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Classics that Sal brings back better than the original are always worth the wait. My Superblue Caly Jr is in my pocket right now because we nagged him enough.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:40 pm
Yeah I was thinking a year minimum.
Well as fast as a "year" comes and goes in this era it will be here before we know it ;)

Actually I'm already trying to think of another "Old School" Spyder that deserves to be resurrected. I'm not kidding though when I said that this C-60 Ayoob will literally take on a new life in Spyderco's main line up when people see first hand just how good this model is.

There were like 3 super-classic, old school Spyders in a row>> the JD Smith, The C-56 Zowada and the C-60 Ayoob. That was one truly awesome trio for that time slot.

Yep I'm already back to the drawing board to seek out another "Old School", GOLDEN ERA Classic to be resurrected :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I have one more burning question to ask Mr. Massad Ayoob if he is still watching this forum. And maybe BenBen could relay this to him. My question is kind of intricate in a way.

My question to Mr. Massad Ayoob is this: Sir after this great C-60 model you designed and Spyderco put on the market back in 2002 or thereabout a lot of water has went under the bridge since that time. The cutlery market has changed in so many ways.

So with all the new knowledge you've attained in past 18 years or so coupled with what you you've learned about your personal EDC knife use>> "IS There Anything That You Would Change On This C-60 Model If You Could Go Back In Time?

Or is this design something you consider 100% right out of the gate? Personally I can't think of anything to make this model better except for an updated blade steel. But I would like to know "What?" if anything you would change or add to this model you designed so many years ago.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

I spokd with MAs today on some of the details that we're trying to add, like 4 way clip and screw construction. He said he was OK with VG-10, maybe a gray G-10 scales. Other than that, he said that the original design had function for every part of the design and he wouldn't change anything.

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:04 pm
Hi JD,

I spokd withMAs today on some of the details that we're trying to add, like 4 way clip and screw construction. He said he was OK with VG-10, maybe a gray G-10 scales. Other than that, he said that the original design had function for every part of the design and he wouldn't change anything.

sal

What about a Denim Blue G10 to blend in with blue jeans?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

VG10 is fine by me.

HAP40 would also be cool, and probably increase the chances of success of the model.

The original model looks like it’s made by Moki to me.

In that case, they might be amenable to using san mai steels.

They’ve used laminated ZDP189 before.

That’s also a steel which has superb performance and staying power.

I love Super Blue, but I wonder if it’s the best choice for a knife which has those SD elements and may be carried IWB etc.

Personally I’d love a laminated Super blue Ayoob, but I can imagine a lot of non-knife afi’s who buy it for the SD angle complaining about rust. Also, people who aren’t into sharpening and use a knife until it’s very dull, will possibly complain about the ‘low edge retention’.

You’ve done great with this campaign JD, and an honourable mention goes to Benben as well - and everyone else who has contributed to this thread too, of course. :)

It’s so cool to see Mas himself chiming in. :cool:

Sal, you’re a champ! :cool: :spyder:

And JD, you’re a champion level Troublemaker! :D :p :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Hi JD,

I spokd withMAs today on some of the details that we're trying to add, like 4 way clip and screw construction. He said he was OK with VG-10, maybe a gray G-10 scales. Other than that, he said that the original design had function for every part of the design and he wouldn't change anything.

sal
That all sounds like a dream come true. I love gray handles. My suggestion there would be to make the PE models with gray G-10 handles/scales and the SE units in black. Color code each edge type like you guys did with the first run Spyderhawk i.e. Blue PE & Black SE.
That 4 way clip will draw a lot of attention.
And I thank Mr. Massad Ayoob for his input and participation in this project. :)

I was showing my G-10 Sprint C-60 to a friend at dinner this evening and he's not an avid knife guy but he said he wants one of these C-60 models when they become available.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:57 pm
VG10 is fine by me.

HAP40 would also be cool, and probably increase the chances of success of the model.

The original model looks like it’s made by Moki to me.

In that case, they might be amenable to using san mai steels.

They’ve used laminated ZDP189 before.

That’s also a steel which has superb performance and staying power.

I love Super Blue, but I wonder if it’s the best choice for a knife which has those SD elements and may be carried IWB etc.

Personally I’d love a laminated Super blue Ayoob, but I can imagine a lot of non-knife afi’s who buy it for the SD angle complaining about rust. Also, people who aren’t into sharpening and use a knife until it’s very dull, will possibly complain about the ‘low edge retention’.

You’ve done great with this campaign JD, and an honourable mention goes to Benben as well - and everyone else who has contributed to this thread too, of course. :)

It’s so cool to see Mas himself chiming in. :cool:

Sal, you’re a champ! :cool: :spyder:

And JD, you’re a champion level Troublemaker! :D :p :)
I've yet to own or use a Spyderco with "Super Blue" blade steel. I've heard great things about that blade steel and if they ended up opting to use it on the C-60 Sprint Run I would certainly love that on the PE unit. But they could still use VG-10 on the Spyderedged version and that would also be cool as well. But if they have to use VG-10 on both edge types I'm still very happy and very appreciative that this model can return. There are sure going to be huge amount of new C-60 fans when this is all said and done. :cool:

And thank you "Cambertree" for your great input and timely suggestions on this thread. You've been a big help and made us aware of a lot of options. The more I think about it the more intrigued I am considering what a plain edged C-60 Ayoob would be like with SuperBlue blade steel. I'm just super thankful that BenBen was able to get Mr. Massad Ayoob to participate in this project.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Are there any videos of Mr. Ayoob demonstrating the knife in use? If not, could we ask him to make one for this release? As someone who read a few of his books after I got my CCW many years back, this collaboration is pretty interesting to me.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:11 pm
Are there any videos of Mr. Ayoob demonstrating the knife in use? If not, could we ask him to make one for this release? As someone who read a few of his books after I got my CCW many years back, this collaboration is pretty interesting to me.
There are a couple of videos on Youtube but I've not found one of Massad Ayoob himself doing a demonstration. I watched one of them back around when I first started this thread. I think it was about 5 to 6 minutes long if I remember correctly.

When they get a "Prototype" of this newest one I would sure like to see a comprehensive video. There have only been two Spyderco models where I looked for a video and couldn't find one.
JMM

Post by JMM »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:01 pm
sal wrote:
Hi JD,

sal
That all sounds like a dream come true. I love gray handles. My suggestion there would be to make the PE models with gray G-10 handles/scales and the SE units in black. Color code each edge type like you guys did with the first run Spyderhawk i.e. Blue PE & Black SE.
And I thank Mr. Massad Ayoob for his input and participation in this project. :)

I was showing my G-10 Sprint C-60 to a friend at dinner this evening and he's not an avid knife guy but he said he wants one of these C-60 models when they become available.
While I understand it's his design, and an absolute masterpiece at that. But I must say I'm sad that screw-together construction & a 4 way clip are off the table. :(
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

JD Spydo wrote:
He's not the first person you've talking into buying one. I subscribed to this thread after you pointed me to the discussion and plan to buy one myself when they're available.
benben

Post by benben »

Sal, I say we stay with Massad's wishes and roll with it at this point! I'm going to buy a serrated version of whatever you decide on! I honestly don't care what color, what steel, or whether it's pinned or screwed construction!

Hopefully it'll be a production model in the near future (after this sprint) and then maybe you guys can play around with some different options, but for now..........
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm glad Mas has not compromised his design just to make a fancy safe queen. :D
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JMM wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:38 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
sal wrote:
Hi JD,

sal

While I understand it's his design, and an absolute masterpiece at that. But I must say I'm sad that screw-together construction & a 4 way clip are off the table. :(
Am I missing something here :confused: ?? When I went back and re-read Mr. Glesser's last post I thought he indicated that there is absolutely going to be "screw construction" and a "4 way clip option". Unless I have an early diagnosis of Alzeimer's or I may have suffered significant brain damage when I hit the concrete face first about a month ago I understood it that those options had a green light. I thought that was even settled a few days ago :confused: . But please do correct me if I read it all wrong.

If so I may need to see a Neurologist :eek: :o
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:28 am
I'm glad Mas has not compromised his design just to make a fancy safe queen. :D
I do understand your sentiment and to some degree I can go along with it. But if this Sprint Run sells out as fast as Led Zeppelin tickets ( and I believe it might) and if it would be that successful then I think it might somehow make it's way back to the main line up>> if that all happens like I think it might>> then at some point I am going to lobby for a deluxe version of the C-60 with a supersteel blade and possibly a carbon fiber or titanium handle.

This to me is a first step to something I hope will even be better down the road. That's how much I love this great ergonomic design. I do believe that many new Spyderco fans will really love this Sprint Run. There are a lot of avid Spyderco fans that have come aboard in the past 5 years that have never got to try this model out. It will be well loved I'm sure of it.

Ultimately I would love to see Mr. Massad Ayoob do another ergonomic design. How about a Massad Ayoob 2 model :cool: ?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:07 am
Sal, I say we stay with Massad's wishes and roll with it at this point! I'm going to buy a serrated version of whatever you decide on! I honestly don't care what color, what steel, or whether it's pinned or screwed construction!

Hopefully it'll be a production model in the near future (after this sprint) and then maybe you guys can play around with some different options, but for now..........
BenBen that is one of my higher goals that this C-60 will sell so fast and gain so much market demand that it will be in the main line up again. And I hope it's such a success that we will see a Spyderco "Massad Ayoob 2" model in the near future :cool: It would be hard to top that C-60 but I bet he could do it.

I appreciate all the support from all you guys here :) This has truly been a Spyderville community project>> and I'm betting it's going to be a very successful project at that. I do hope that Spyderco and Mr. Massad Ayoob are both well rewarded for their efforts.

We are so blessed to have a company that will work along side of it's customers and fans. I'm now counting the days till it's release :cool:
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:12 am
Am I missing something here :confused: ??
I don't think so. My understanding was the same as yours.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

To my understanding we were still waiting to hear whether they could do screw construction and a four way clip. After re-reading Sal’s comments my understanding is that the knife will now be (per Mas’s desire):

VG10
Grey G10
Pinned Construction
Same thickness
Tip down carry

Also, we still have yet to hear if the clip can be done the same, and whether any others steels or scale materials are possible/cost prohibitive (linerless Ti, CF).
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”