C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stas

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Stas »

Also I see two right now at the bay from France for ok price.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

House of Blades in Ft. Worth has a PE in their Spyderco display case. I did not ask if they have more, but just an FYI for anyone looking for a plain edge still. May have to call them, their website says out of stock. But I was just there, I always go when I am down here visiting family.
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

The PE can also be found here:

https://www.knivesandtools.de/de/pt/-sp ... messer.htm

and here:

https://www.com2you-biwak.de/Spyderco-C ... un-22.html

But I don't know if the shops ship overseas
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well that's interesting that there are still a few units of the Cruwear Ayoob still available out there>> and European dealers still having a few to offer is quite interesting. I still find it most interesting that this particular Sprint Run sold out of the serrated models as fast as they did. I'm still amazed at how good the serrated version sold as many units as it did. I don't recall any other serrated Sprint Run that has had that kind of success on the sales charts.

I do however find it quite interesting that I can buy Postal Money Orders to purchase items from any European country except for Germany. I'm amazed that there are still a few of these Cruwear Ayoob models still out there. I do thank you all for posting the information about the dealers that still have a few of these remaining.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Amon wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 6:54 am
@ JD Spydo
I also think that especially through this thread a new generation of fans has emerged.
Spyderco has been with me for more than 20 years. Quite a few models have passed through my hands. However, these two are my favorite.
I also wish for a new edition of this ingenious design. The need is there and Spyderco is one of the few manufacturers who are very closely connected with their followers and whose wishes are taken into account. Thank you again at this point for this Spyderco.
My EDC´s
I agree with everything you've just said. I do believe deep down in my gut that if Spyderco would do a slightly modified version of the C-60 Ayoob or even do another batch of this recent great Sprint Run in PE & SE it would create a new generation of fans without a doubt I agree with you that the results would be great.

There are so many models from 1998 to 2008 that new Spyderco fans would respond well. I'm anxious to see how new fans would respond. They sure had no trouble selling the Cruwear Ayoob.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Mistake???
G&R Tactical (There might be a coupon code out there?)
SpyderEdge... https://www.gandrtactical.com/Spyderco- ... _3276.html

PlainEdge... https://www.gandrtactical.com/Spyderco- ... _3277.html

Edit: SpyderEdge Out of stock now

Edit #2: SpyderEdge is showing in stock again

Edit #3: SpyderEdge Out of stock again

Edit #4: Out of stock
Last edited by Buddafucco on Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
vnvman

Post by vnvman »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:33 pm
Amon wrote:
@ JD Spydo
I also think that especially through this thread a new generation of fans has emerged.
Spyderco has been with me for more than 20 years. Quite a few models have passed through my hands. However, these two are my favorite.
I also wish for a new edition of this ingenious design. The need is there and Spyderco is one of the few manufacturers who are very closely connected with their followers and whose wishes are taken into account. Thank you again at this point for this Spyderco.
My EDC´s
I agree with everything you've just said. I do believe deep down in my gut that if Spyderco would do a slightly modified version of the C-60 Ayoob or even do another batch of this recent great Sprint Run in PE & SE it would create a new generation of fans without a doubt I agree with you that the results would be great.

There are so many models from 1998 to 2008 that new Spyderco fans would respond well. I'm anxious to see how new fans would respond. They sure had no trouble selling the Cruwear Ayoob.
Hi JD, I think you got another one.
After I sold my Spydiechef months ago out of safety concerns (I nicked myself 2 times with the knife folded) I've been on the market for a high quality EDC.

After a while using a Wharnie Endura as a placeholder I started to appreciate both the backlock, the thinness compared to say a PM2, and in general the idea of a more defensive folder.

Recently I acquired a Ka-Bar TDI for SD while trail running and such (I feel more confident with a fixed blade if I have to deploy while huffing and puffing) and that really got me into the pistol grip style.

I saw this sprint run on offer on Knives&Tools (I'm from EU) and I couldn't quite believe a sprint run from 2022 was still available, and I recall it costing 100€ more or so the previous year.

At first I was drawn towards the SE (which wasn't available anyways), but after a little bit of reading here about the defected tip the PE started appealing to me more.

So long story short, it's going to be here on Tuesday, I read all of this thread already and I can't wait!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vnvman wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:13 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Amon wrote:
@ JD Spydo
My EDC´s

After I sold my Spydiechef months ago out of safety concerns (I nicked myself 2 times with the knife folded) I've been on the market for a high quality EDC.

After a while using a Wharnie Endura as a placeholder I started to appreciate both the backlock, the thinness compared to say a PM2, and in general the idea of a more defensive folder.

Recently I acquired a Ka-Bar TDI for SD while trail running and such (I feel more confident with a fixed blade if I have to deploy while huffing and puffing) and that really got me into the pistol grip style.

I saw this sprint run on offer on Knives&Tools (I'm from EU) and I couldn't quite believe a sprint run from 2022 was still available, and I recall it costing 100€ more or so the previous year.

At first I was drawn towards the SE (which wasn't available anyways), but after a little bit of reading here about the defected tip the PE started appealing to me more.

So long story short, it's going to be here on Tuesday, I read all of this thread already and I can't wait!
Instead of using the term "Seeing Is Believing" I do think the term "Using Is Believing" is more apropos in this case. I don't know of even one guy who has bought at least one of the 2022, C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run that wasn't extremely glad that he did

The serrated version of this C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run is particularly a very aggressive SD type blade>> but it's also a very aggressive hard use folder as well. I do indeed thank you for buying a C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run. Making this great blade a "Safe Queen" is just not right. This bad boy blade is most certainly meant to be used and to be used hard. >> ENJOY!!
vnvman

Post by vnvman »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:25 am
vnvman wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Amon wrote:
@ JD Spydo
My EDC´s

Instead of using the term "Seeing Is Believing" I do think the term "Using Is Believing" is more apropos in this case. I don't know of even one guy who has bought at least one of the 2022, C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run that wasn't extremely glad that he did

The serrated version of this C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run is particularly a very aggressive SD type blade>> but it's also a very aggressive hard use folder as well. I do indeed thank you for buying a C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run. Making this great blade a "Safe Queen" is just not right. This bad boy blade is most certainly meant to be used and to be used hard. >> ENJOY!!
Yeah pretty sure I'm going to enjoy this one!

Rest assured it's not gonna be a safe queen.

I'm leaving for a 2 weeks seaside vacation just this weekend and I'm planning on relying on the C60 as my main cutting tool for everything: daily chores, food, possibly fish. It's going to get carried every day in the pocket and/or IWB when jogging or wearing swim trunks and such so it's going to be interesting to see how it reacts to the environment. I'm just gonna carry a fully convexed Tops T4 Tracker for some more bushcrafty tasks but that's about it.

I know it's no Spydiechef in LC200N and you can call me crazy but I used a PM2 in Cruwear before in similar conditions and I never had a problem with it rusting or even getting a patina with just a daily cleanup and a drop of Ballistol every other day.

Too bad delivery is delayed: It's not going to be here before tomorrow but expect some showoff pics as soon as it arrives.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vnvman wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:55 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:25 am
vnvman wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

Yeah pretty sure I'm going to enjoy this one!

Rest assured it's not gonna be a safe queen.

I'm leaving for a 2 weeks seaside vacation just this weekend and I'm planning on relying on the C60 as my main cutting tool for everything: daily chores, food, possibly fish. It's going to get carried every day in the pocket and/or IWB when jogging or wearing swim trunks and such so it's going to be interesting to see how it reacts to the environment. I'm just gonna carry a fully convexed Tops T4 Tracker for some more bushcrafty tasks but that's about it.

I know it's no Spydiechef in LC200N and you can call me crazy but I used a PM2 in Cruwear before in similar conditions and I never had a problem with it rusting or even getting a patina with just a daily cleanup and a drop of Ballistol every other day.

Too bad delivery is delayed: It's not going to be here before tomorrow but expect some showoff pics as soon as it arrives.
Like I have mentioned two previous times in this thread I had an old friend in the Finger Lakes region in Upstate New York who for years swore that his 2002 era C-60 Ayoob was the best fillet knife that he had ever used. But it won't stop there because there is a plethora of cutting chores you'll find your new C-60 very handy for.

I think it's fair to say at this point that the C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run of 2022 was most certainly at the very least a moderate if not a smashing success.

For all outdoorsmen I do highly recommend the C-60 Ayoob for a wide range of field and stream cutting jobs. Also the Cruwear blade really makes the C-60 Sprint Run a blade that will have a really nice trade value or resale value>> and I do believe that within 24 months of it's release it will fetch some handsome collector value as well.
vnvman

Post by vnvman »

It's here!
Reference pic for starters:
Despite being pretty much the same size folded it dwarfs the Endura for some reason. Note that this one has slightly reprofiled scales.
vnvman

Post by vnvman »

Factory edge was messed up around the tip out of the box:
Big time:
Kind of a bummer but I didn't care much because I have other plans...coming soon
vnvman

Post by vnvman »

I took it to the Worksharp precision adjust and reprofiled to 15°, then knocked off the shoulders on a DMT coarse, then progressed through some sandpaper on a sanding block. Finally I took it to 1000 grit waterstone, followed by a 3000 one a and finished off on a strop.
There are still a few faint scratches but I think it looks good enough for a user. Maybe most Spyderco fans would cry bloody murder but IMHO saber grinds with such thickness BTE call for some convexing. I guess it will work well with fish and food in general.

I swapped the clip for a deep carry one and I stuck with tip down carry, it just makes sense for a long folder IMHO, especially for IWB carry.

The spydiedrop feels very natural and easy because of the good weight of the handle, and the throw is quite short. Besides, the curved back (don't get me wrong, the rounded butt with the polished liners looks gorgeous) doesn't make it much of a flicker. I mean it can be done but you kind of feel like the knife is getting away from your hand.

The liners were quite sharp so I ran some leftover bits of sandpaper wrapped around a screwdriver to smooth them out. The spine was also quite sharp, but I used on both sides to clean up the strop and that got it where I wanted it to be.

Super impressed with the overall construction and looks of the knife, not so much with the finish (sharp bits creating hotspots) and the sharpening: the edge was wicked sharp every bit of it, but very uneven in the grind around the tip, as you saw from the pics. I'd imagine how somebody who doesn't like to fiddle with the knife would be disappointed, but that's not me so I actually see a lot of potential here.

Hopefully I'll be able to post more pics in the coming days, looking forward to use and abuse this guy, it sure seems like it can take it.
vnvman

Post by vnvman »

Today just some casual slicing and dicing in the kitchen
With the convex this saber grind works way better for slicing
Even tap water is a little salty here at my place and so far but no signs of patina after 5 days of cooking with just a rinse after food prep work, let alone rusting.
So far so good.
vnvman

Post by vnvman »

Trail running with the convex folding beast.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vnvman wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:14 am
Today just some casual slicing and dicing in the kitchen

With the convex this saber grind works way better for slicing

Even tap water is a little salty here at my place and so far but no signs of patina after 5 days of cooking with just a rinse after food prep work, let alone rusting.
So far so good.
It is truly amazing how the blade on the C-60 cuts with such ease and precision when truly sharp. The blade on the C-60 Ayoob has such versatility that you can truly use it for almost any cutting job imaginable.

Not to mention being a great self defense blade as well. Thank you for your great input and sharing those nice pics with us.
vnvman

Post by vnvman »

Pulled a few feathers off some random ugly and knotty stick picked off the ground on a walk.
Gotta say I'm really pleased about how I was able to blend the convex into the saber grind on this one. It seems like the previous versions were more of a true hollow grind as far as I can tell. Some could say that a hollow grind is better for accurate slicing but on wood it tends to cut too deep and bind. This one I find is a good compromise because it's almost a true saber, and when convexed it turns to a semi scandivex which is very versatile, good for both soft and hard material, and last but not least super easy to maintain by mere stropping.
I think it would make for a great bushcraft trio with a Silky saw and a small hatchet. I haven't tried yet but I guess it can stab-split small kindling too with the strong tip it has...it's meant for stabbing after all ;)
Matus

Post by Matus »

You have basically turned this knife into a sort-of bushcrafter. The grind looks awesome!
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Very cool mod! Thanks for sharing :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I just now realized that this thread has been running for over 3 years now :cheap-sunglasses

Just goes to show you how dedicated of a following that the C-60 Ayoob model has gained over the years.

I'm so thankful for the most recent Sprint Run but I hope it doesn't stop there. It's truly been a great ride for the last 3 years and I'm so thankful for the nice turnout from all of you. So very thankful for the Cruwear Ayoob model!! :star-struck