C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

5-by-5 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:48 pm
Plain edge available here

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/for ... n.1919476/
Hey thanks "5 by 5". I haven't been to BF in a while anyway. They sure have mixed reviews on the Cruwear Ayoob over there the last time I checked them out.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Smokey Mountain Knifeworks... SpyderEdge... https://www.smkw.com/spyderco-massad-ay ... n-serrated

Edit: Out of stock
•• Beau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:38 am
Smokey Mountain Knifeworks... SpyderEdge... https://www.smkw.com/spyderco-massad-ay ... n-serrated

We appreciate you Brother>> but don't quit trying because I'm sure you've helped some guys find a C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run. This thread has been an incredible experience for a lot of us here on the Forum. It shows you what can be done if a few like-minded people put their heads together.

And let's not forget that the Glesser family sure helped this project become a reality. I do hope that Spyderco decides to do at least one more batch of these Cruwear Ayoob models. They sure wouldn't have much trouble selling them.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Ok maybe I missed it due to thread length but I keep wondering the following:

JD Spydo are you in some way connected to the development of this knife? I only ask because you have taken so much time and kindly so to keep this thread going like there is some kind of vested interest? I do not consider a vested interest a negative thing by the way just to be clear.

If not for this forum your efforts And Buddafuco's I would have missed out on this awesome knife for sure. I took one look at this coming up and literally said who the heck would pay $200.00 for that ugly thing?? The person in the room with me said I wouldn't!!! there not getting my money for that!!! Yes they are a Spyderco fan.

Then after reading this thread I got to thinking ya know Sal Glesser has developed some of the ugliest knives in history from time to time but they all perform like crazy and honestly when in the hand how it feels and how it works counts. So as always never completly discount a Spyderco on the basis of looks only.

Second thing was I realized I have never experienced Cruwear in a Spydie Edge.

Well lets just say Cruewear is an excellent steel for SE as is this Ayoob and there darn well should have been more SE Cruwear models than they are but if Magnacut is going to take its place I am all in for that as well after having it in the SE Native Salt.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

If you feel Facecrook is safe. Here's a PE for $170

https://www.facebook.com/groups/spyderc ... tid=Nif5oz
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BeggarSo wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:18 pm

JD Spydo are you in some way connected to the development of this knife? I only ask because you have taken so much time and kindly so to keep this thread going like there is some kind of vested interest? I do not consider a vested interest a negative thing by the way just to be clear.

If not for this forum your efforts And Buddafuco's I would have missed out on this awesome knife for sure. I took one look at this coming up and literally said who the heck would pay $200.00 for that ugly thing?? The person in the room with me said I wouldn't!!! there not getting my money for that!!! Yes they are a Spyderco fan.

Then after reading this thread I got to thinking ya know Sal Glesser has developed some of the ugliest knives in history from time to time but they all perform like crazy and honestly when in the hand how it feels and how it works counts. So as always never completly discount a Spyderco on the basis of looks only.

Well lets just say Cruewear is an excellent steel for SE as is this Ayoob and there darn well should have been more SE Cruwear models than they are but if Magnacut is going to take its place I am all in for that as well after having it in the SE Native Salt.
The short answer to your question is "NO". No I had nothing to do with the design or the marketing or the manufacture of this great Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob. I wish I could say that I did but truthfully I'm basically one of the biggest cheerleaders of the C-60 Ayoob design. It's been one of my most favorite Spyderco blades going all the way back to it's inception in 2001-02.

If you read the opening post on this thread it pretty much reveals my role (if any) of getting this C-60 Sprint Run to come back to life again. Nope I just simply made a great suggestion and the right people heard it and acted on it. I just wanted to see one of my all time favorite Spyderco folders be resurrected so many new people can see what a brilliant design the C-60 was>> the design was literally ahead of it's time in my humble opinion. And thanks to the Mr. Sal Glesser (Spyderco's CEO) and the rest of the Spyderco staff who helped to make this dream possible.

Now I did sort of catapult the idea of the Sprint Run and I do feel like I did generate some interest in it. But again I was mostly just a cheerleader of this great design. And by the way Massad Ayoob ( the knife's designer) is still alive and well and I've been doing a thread recently to try to get Mr. Ayoob to do another blade design for Spyderco. Because he truly hit this one out of the park as far as I'm concerned. Thank you very much for your interest and I'm glad you were able to snag one or two of them before they become virtually impossible to get. Bottom Line: It's really people like you who love the C-60 Ayoob model that made all of this possible.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I'll just throw this out there.
I think a Canis blade on a Massad grip would be pretty awesome. Blade forward wharnie. :cheap-sunglasses
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:30 pm
BeggarSo wrote:

The short answer to your question is "NO". No I had nothing to do with the design or the marketing or the manufacture of this great Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob. I wish I could say that I did but truthfully I'm basically one of the biggest cheerleaders of the C-60 Ayoob design. It's been one of my most favorite Spyderco blades going all the way back to it's inception in 2001-02.

If you read the opening post on this thread it pretty much reveals my role (if any) of getting this C-60 Sprint Run to come back to life again. Nope I just simply made a great suggestion and the right people heard it and acted on it. I just wanted to see one of my all time favorite Spyderco folders be resurrected so many new people can see what a brilliant design the C-60 was>> the design was literally ahead of it's time in my humble opinion. And thanks to the Mr. Sal Glesser (Spyderco's CEO) and the rest of the Spyderco staff who helped to make this dream possible.

Now I did sort of catapult the idea of the Sprint Run and I do feel like I did generate some interest in it. But again I was mostly just a cheerleader of this great design. And by the way Massad Ayoob ( the knife's designer) is still alive and well and I've been doing a thread recently to try to get Mr. Ayoob to do another blade design for Spyderco. Because he truly hit this one out of the park as far as I'm concerned. Thank you very much for your interest and I'm glad you were able to snag one or two of them before they become virtually impossible to get. Bottom Line: It's really people like you who love the C-60 Ayoob model that made all of this possible.
Thank you for all your efforts.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

SpyderEdge back at Smokey Mountain Knifeworks... https://www.smkw.com/spyderco-massad-ay ... n-serrated

•• Beau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I just spent about 45 minutes this evening trying to find more of the C-60 Cruwear Ayoob Sprint Run models still for sale. And everywhere I went all had them listed "OUT OF STOCK".

I do hope at some point Spyderco might consider doing one more batch of these Cruwear Ayoob models. I was amazed at how well the serrated versions sold. And as good as the Cruwear Ayoob in SE performs I can certainly see why. It's been quite a while since I've seen a serrated model get this kind love. Everyone I talked to that got one really likes it>> and in both edge types too.

If there are any of these left on dealer's shelves you've sure got a very long search ahead of you. And I think you can pretty well forget finding a serrated version at this point. But I do hope that's not the end of the Cruwear Ayoob because there are still quite a few guys wanting them.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

MRj “Weak things break!”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mrj wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:30 pm
Plain edge.
https://pureblades.com/massad-ayoob-spr ... o-c60gpgy/
Heck I thought I had heard of every reputable dealer out there. But this is the first time I ever heard of "Pureblades.com.

It appears that they only have one left from what I can tell. I'm sure there are a handful more dealers with one or two of the C-60 Cruwear Ayoob models remaining in stock
brj

Post by brj »

I don't think I've said a proper 'thank you' to both JD (for starting off this tsunami) and Spyderco (for putting up with it), so there you go:

thank you @JD , thank you :bug-red

My example is of the snaggletooth variety and I need to admit I've been a bit put off by Spyderco's response to the related complaints?questions?expectations?, but this detracts nothing from my joy of using and appreciating it (after all, it's one of only two Spyderco's I've felt the need to purchase over the last 3 years, the other being the St. Nick's Millie).

And again to JDs point, there is something inherently sexy to the curvaceous designs of old that's simply missing from the current line-up.

Skar

Post by Skar »

brj wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:58 am
I don't think I've said a proper 'thank you' to both JD (for starting off this tsunami) and Spyderco (for putting up with it), so there you go:

My example is of the snaggletooth variety and I need to admit I've been a bit put off by Spyderco's response to the related complaints?questions?expectations?, but this detracts nothing from my joy of using and appreciating it (after all, it's one of only two Spyderco's I've felt the need to purchase over the last 3 years, the other being the St. Nick's Millie).

And again to JDs point, there is something inherently sexy to the curvaceous designs of old that's simply missing from the current line-up.

Just wanted to say that’s a really cool trio you have there. There needs to be a like button here :p.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Skar wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:21 am
brj wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:58 am

Just wanted to say that’s a really cool trio you have there. There needs to be a like button here :p.
I'm beginning to think that KRIS model in the middle would be a great one for one of the next Sprint Runs. All 3 of those great models are truly a work of art. I know a lot of people think I'm fanatical about the Spyderco folders of that era. But there's a lot of reasons I love those great designs of that era.

Thanks a million for sharing those great models with us!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Is it official yet are all the Cruwear Ayoobs completely sold out? Are all the SE & PE versions of the C-60 Cruwear Ayoob completely sold out yet? I had 2 guys e-mail me yesterday asking me if I knew if there were any PE versions left for sale anywhere?

But after talking to a couple of guys over at BF I have to believe that they are all sold out>> at least here in the good ol' USA anyway. If they are all sold out that is really sad. But it's been a great project and I do thank everyone of you who were involved for helping to make it happen.
Amon

Post by Amon »

Hi Guys,
Arizona Customs has a Couple in Stock.

Best Regards
Amon

Post by Amon »

Hi Guys,
I am a big fan of this model. That's why I have all three versions (page 43).
I was initially very pleased that the demand was so great because of this forum that a new Sprint Run was created.
However, the result did not really convince and please me, so I will not complete my collection.
My personal reasons for this.
1. for an EDC I would like to have stainless
steel.
2. even though the old model was pinned.
it had a screw on the blade axis
to be able to disassemble the knife.
The new screws are too small and as we
read here they loosen easily. In my
opinion, this is a newly created
unnecessary problem.
3. the biggest disappointment for me is the
SE version. The serrations especially in the
area of the blade tip are unclean and uneven.
That is not nice to talk about either.
The size of the serrations, whether old or new format, should be evenly executed. However, these look like they were applied by amateurs.
There is no excuse for this from my point of view.
I think many of us just wanted the old Serrations and G10. Positive for me, is only the four position clip.
I still wish everyone much joy with his Ayoob.
Amon
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BeggarSo wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:12 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:30 pm
BeggarSo wrote:

Thank you for all your efforts.
You are most welcome. I just wish I could have persuaded them to bring the C-60 Ayoob back in full production. I'm still mind blown that this C-60 Sprint Run got the fervent response that it did.

I just hope that this isn't the last we ever see of this great model.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Amon wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:41 am
Hi Guys,
I am a big fan of this model. That's why I have all three versions (page 43).
I was initially very pleased that the demand was so great because of this forum that a new Sprint Run was created.
However, the result did not really convince and please me, so I will not complete my collection.

Amon
There truly were things that stood out with all 3 renditions of this great C-60 Ayoob model. You've named a few of them and you seem to be fully aware of all the great uses that the C-60 is capable of.

I do thank you for your great observations. This Sprint Run has truly shown how big of a fan base this folder has enjoyed over the years. I still think I fell a bit short of my overall goal of seeing this great C-60 model to come back into full production again at some point. I do hope that the success of this great Sprint Run would cause the decision makers at Spyderco to reconsider bringing back this great model again at some point in time.

I do think this recent C-60 Sprint Run has to be in the top 5 of all the Sprint Runs they have ever made. I do know that a lot of the fans of the C-60 have really appreciated this recent edition of this great model.