C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

R100 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:00 am
CLOK wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:40 am
PE still in stock: https://newgraham.com/ayoob-gray-g-10- ... -sc60gpgy/
Thanks very much for the heads up. I have the serrated version which I absolutely love. You really need to use one to realise how well it works and the build quality is truly outstanding. It took me a while to realise I NEED the PE version as well and I just haven't been able to find one at a retailer who will ship to Australia. I have emailed New Graham and have my fingers crossed. :crossed-fingers.

Dan
You can't go wrong dealing with New Graham. They have been great for years. I'm wondering if that is the last one they are going to have. Sometime soon dealers are not going to be able to obtain any more of the C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run. But I bet a lot of dealers are wishing that Spyderco would make many more of them. I do believe this Sprint Run will be in demand even after all the smoke clears.
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

I hope more SE show up, I need at least 1 more,
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Fharing45 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:48 pm
I hope more SE show up, I need at least 1 more,
I don't have the actual sales numbers in front of me but based on what I've heard recently I do believe that there is slightly more demand for the SE Ayoob Sprint than there has been for the PE unit with this model. And that's diametrically the opposite from the normal. There are not many Spyderco models where the full SE variant has more demand or outsells the PE units.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

American Flags&Cutlery... SpyderEdge... https://americanflagsandcutlery.com/kni ... ing-knife/

Edit: Out of stock
•• Beau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:32 am
I am discovering that the Ayoob is a surprisingly useful shape, from a blade that readily cuts on a board* to a curved handle that nestles into the side your f.r.h pocket.

*If the PE was ffg I reckon it would totally outperform the Spydiechef in the kitchen. My vote for the next resurrection would therefore be the Catcherman, FFG in LC200n.
Absolutely, For Sure!! The C-60 Ayoob is probably the most functional and practical designs that I've ever seen in any knife that was designated as a self defense knife.

It is without a doubt an SD design but it's also a great functional blade you can use as an EDC. When the 2011 Sprint Run came out I gifted one to a great hunting buddy of mine and he's still using it as a hunter/folder to this day. I tried to see if I could buy it back from him>> he informed me that he would never part with it.

But that is just one of many uses you can use the C-60 Ayoob model for. I rate it as one of the best overall blades that ever came out of the Spyderco factory. I sure hope this isn't the end of the model. So be sure to let Mr. Glesser know how much we all love that model for sure. Again I even had a friend who used his for a fillet knife. And he loved it.
Matus

Post by Matus »

ChrisinHove wrote:
I am discovering that the Ayoob is a surprisingly useful shape, from a blade that readily cuts on a board* to a curved handle that nestles into the side your f.r.h pocket.

*If the PE was ffg I reckon it would totally outperform the Spydiechef in the kitchen. My vote for the next resurrection would therefore be the Catcherman, FFG in LC200n.
Few listened when I was praising Schempp Bowie for its 'on board' capabilities. Blade profile of the Ayoob and the general geometry are very similar. Love these two knives.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:29 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:

Absolutely, For Sure!! The C-60 Ayoob is probably the most functional and practical designs that I've ever seen in any knife that was designated as a self defense knife.

It is without a doubt an SD design but it's also a great functional blade you can use as an EDC. When the 2011 Sprint Run came out I gifted one to a great hunting buddy of mine and he's still using it as a hunter/folder to this day. I tried to see if I could buy it back from him>> he informed me that he would never part with it.

But that is just one of many uses you can use the C-60 Ayoob model for. I rate it as one of the best overall blades that ever came out of the Spyderco factory. I sure hope this isn't the end of the model. So be sure to let Mr. Glesser know how much we all love that model for sure. Again I even had a friend who used his for a fillet knife. And he loved it.
I’m a big fan of Mas Ayoob—less for technical matters, more for matters of personal responsibility in an ambiguous world and and for mindset—so I’m less impressed with the Ayoob as a SD blade (the Lil’Temp and Yojimbo are superior, IMHO) than as a thoughtful one, precisely because it broadly multitasks, as in the kitchen on a cutting board.

I must add, though, that I prefer my Ayoobs in hollow- rather than saber-grind. What are their respective BTEs, someone?

Still, I have a pile of boxes to reduce today and I look forward to attacking it with my newest Ayoob, in PE, thank you very much.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Matus wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:06 am
ChrisinHove wrote:

Few listened when I was praising Schempp Bowie for its 'on board' capabilities. Blade profile of the Ayoob and the general geometry are very similar. Love these two knives.
I'll sure take a look at the Schempp Bowie again. I never had one of those and now you've got my curiosity going. I've always respected many of the Ed Schempp designs over the years.

And I would also love a new Catcherman model in full SE. I still use my full SE Catcherman in AUS-8 at least twice to three times a week in the kitchen. It's one of the most versatile blades I've ever owned or used. I never understood why they quit making the Catcherman in full SE. I would have loved to have had one in MBS-26 in full SE. Great IN HOUSE design!
Matus

Post by Matus »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:50 pm
I'll sure take a look at the Schempp Bowie again. I never had one of those and now you've got my curiosity going. I've always respected many of the Ed Schempp designs over the years.

And I would also love a new Catcherman model in full SE. I still use my full SE Catcherman in AUS-8 at least twice to three times a week in the kitchen. It's one of the most versatile blades I've ever owned or used. I never understood why they quit making the Catcherman in full SE. I would have loved to have had one in MBS-26 in full SE. Great IN HOUSE design!
Do check out that little bowie before they will be gone and hard to find. It has such a beautifully odd handle design, but if you adjust your grip I find it both nice and secure to hold. You may encounter lock-stick - mine still has some, but I kinda consider it a feature and not a bug. Also - to disengage the lock, don't try to do so with the belly of your thumb (my nails are never that short and the curved lock bar would just shave on the edge of my nail) - try to use your thumbnail only in a rotated position - that works better for me.

Catherman is a very cool knife, but I never managed to get my hands on one. They were already rare as hen's teeth when I started to take interest in pocket knives.
Matus

Post by Matus »

So I decided to finally sharpen my Ayoob SE. It turns out that the angle of the serrations is larger than 20 degree - which brings me to considering doing some regrinding first (basically grinding the whole surface of the primary grind on the left side) and then gently adjust the angle of the serrations. Since the thickness-behind-serrations is not that small, just adjusting the angle of the serrations would be quite a job since a lot of metal would have to be removed.

Now since that a full regrind would be quite a undertaking that might potentially not work out the way I would naively wish, it actually brings me to the idea of getting a second SE Ayoob - just to be on the safe side (and since it is such an awesome knife).

Hmmm ...
Reddington

Post by Reddington »

Will there be more SE drops?
MrBerle

Post by MrBerle »

Deleted
Last edited by MrBerle on Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reddington

Post by Reddington »

MrBerle wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:32 pm
Just ordered one SE and one PE. This thread has me convinced.
Who has the SE in stock?
MrBerle

Post by MrBerle »

Deleted.
Last edited by MrBerle on Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Reddington:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Matus

Post by Matus »

For what it's worth - apparently Lamnia expect another delivery in February.
V1.5

Post by V1.5 »

Thanks of the heads up on a serrated model. I don't want to order from Europe, but I might have too. I haven't been able to find a serrated model State side yet.
I have an original serrated model that I carried for over a decade and still do occasionally, but I'd hate to lose it. I have a plain edge 2011 Sprint run that is still NIB. I much prefer a serrated edge in this model.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

V1.5 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:50 am
Thanks of the heads up on a serrated model. I don't want to order from Europe, but I might have too. I haven't been able to find a serrated model State side yet.
I have an original serrated model that I carried for over a decade and still do occasionally, but I'd hate to lose it. I have a plain edge 2011 Sprint run that is still NIB. I much prefer a serrated edge in this model.
That 2011 Sprint Run was never available in full SE unfortunately. And I could never figure out why. I wish it had been because I sure loved the G-10 handle they used on the 2011 Sprint Run. But I could say that about so many different Spyderco models that were never available in full SE. But this Cruwear Ayoob in SE is a really nice blade with TEETH. The grind angle has never posed me any problems sharpening it on a 204 Sharpmaker.

But this is one model you most definitely want in PE & SE. I'm sure hoping that his recent Cruwear Ayoob won't be the last one they ever do. This is truly a functional design that transcends time IMO.

I'm hoping at some point that Mr. Massad Ayoob gets back to the drawing board. I find his design really super functional and I'm sure it's a great SD blade as well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MrBerle wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:52 am
MrBerle wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:32 pm
Just ordered one SE and one PE. This thread has me convinced.
Edit: knifestore.nl has both in stock, ships to Europe.
I'm sure hoping that more USA dealers will be able to get these Cruwear Ayoob, C-60 models is SE. Because I hate to see what they will be charging for them on the secondary markets when the dealers sell out. Truly I hope I can get at least 3 of each edge type before the dust settles.

I'm also wondering if any if the USA distributors will have any SE units left as of Feb 03, 2023. This is one of Spyderco's finer collaborations to be sure.
V1.5

Post by V1.5 »

I believe I have searched for a SE model at every legit knife retailer in the USA. No luck finding a SE model. Out of stock everywhere.