C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kleon

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Kleon »

Thanks JD.

I am curious as well to see what the number is vs. your estimation.

Left my edge at CBN rod flats level - a "Vivi-edge" as it were and going to see how I like the Cruwear at this coarse edge. It shaves easily and has a lot of bite.

Kleon
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Kleon wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:01 am
Thanks JD.

I am curious as well to see what the number is vs. your estimation.

Left my edge at CBN rod flats level - a "Vivi-edge" as it were and going to see how I like the Cruwear at this coarse edge. It shaves easily and has a lot of bite.

Kleon
OH a big "AMEN"!!! to that one. I noticed right away and particularly with the SE version of the Cruwear Ayoob model that it seemed to part the Red Sea in one sense. And even with the plain edged edition you have no problem at all penetrating polyethylene plastics, the straps you encounter with warehouse pallets and many other tough to cut materials.

Even with blades so sharp that you can shave with them it's a well known fact that not all blade steels possess those type of properties that penetrate so easily as this Cruwear seems to do regardless of which material that you might have problems with.

That's one of the features I like about M390 as well. Not all blade steels have that extra "BITE" to them like this Cruwear seems to have. It was a brilliant selection that Mr. Glesser made when he selected Cruwear for the C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Patriot Knifeworks... SpyderEdge... https://patriotknifeworks.com/spyderco- ... n-c60gsgy/

Edit: Out of stock
•• Beau
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

:worried
Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:06 pm
Patriot Knifeworks... SpyderEdge... https://patriotknifeworks.com/spyderco- ... n-c60gsgy/

Darn it. I'm too slow. Thanks for posting.
- Richard
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

National Knives has ONE used Ayoob for $180 in plain edge as of 12:33PM EST, Wed 18. Has some marks on it, so not for the safe.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:33 am
National Knives has ONE used Ayoob for $180 in plain edge as of 12:33PM EST, Wed 18. Has some marks on it, so not for the safe.
That's quite interesting that a "user" model of the Ayoob Sprint Run is listed with that price. It would be interesting to know if it actually sells for that price ($180).

But there just isn't very many to be had in the first place. If I was needing or desperately wanting a user Cruwear Ayoob I would be tempted to go ahead and pay that price. Because I'm very doubtful if that knife ever shows up in a flea market or thrift store any time soon,
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

What angle do you guys sharpen the PE version to?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

electro-static wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:15 am
What angle do you guys sharpen the PE version to?
The two times I've given my PE version a tune up I used the Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker at the 40 degree slots and I've had excellent results so far. And I do believe that is a decent angle for Cruwear the best I can tell.

I also use that same setting for M390 and several other premium blade steels with very good results. But it's like anything else in this game. You just kind of have to experiment at times and see which works best for all your own cutting needs.

So far I've been extremely impressed with the performance of the Cruwear blade steel.
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

I reprofiled mine to the 15 degree slots on the sharpmaker using the CBN rods. Cuts great and seems plenty strong for EDC type usage. This took a lot of time using light pressure, cleaning rods as needed and sharpie method to ensure I was hitting the apex with the reprofile etc. May not be worth the time vs using the 20 degree slots on the Sharpmaker but was fun and am enjoying the coarse "Vivi" style edge. Shaves hair and very "bitey /toothy" edge off those CBN rods after deburring.

Cruwear is great steel in this C60 usage in my opinion.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:39 am

The two times I've given my PE version a tune up I used the Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker at the 40 degree slots and I've had excellent results so far. And I do believe that is a decent angle for Cruwear the best I can tell.
I took mine down to 20 DPS and it cuts like adamantium. It can go a lot lower if people know what they're about but in my experience 20 per side ends up being more forgiving while still being sharp AF.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:44 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:39 am

I took mine down to 20 DPS and it cuts like adamantium. It can go a lot lower if people know what they're about but in my experience 20 per side ends up being more forgiving while still being sharp AF.
Isn't that 40 degree setting on the 204 Sharpmaker virtually the same angle you speak of?? It must be because my PE version is truly sharper than a "Witches Tongue" when I'm done with the Sharpmaker kit.

I'm going to get my freehand benchstones out sometime this weekend to see just how wickedly sharp I can get this bad boy.

Even my GOLDENSTONE really fine hones that Cruwear rather nicely as well.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:49 pm

Isn't that 40 degree setting on the 204 Sharpmaker virtually the same angle you speak of??
Indeed, one and the same. Leaves the Cru-Wear plenty sharp.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:52 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:49 pm

Isn't that 40 degree setting on the 204 Sharpmaker virtually the same angle you speak of??
Indeed, one and the same. Leaves the Cru-Wear plenty sharp.
The Ultra-Fine stones you can get for the 204 Sharpmaker are truly a great enhancement tool to put a final edge on an already sharp edge. Also I've been using a German made F. Dick smooth sharpening steel for about 8 strokes on each side which takes it to another level.

Cruwear is actually even a little better blade steel than I expected it to be. I hope to see Cruwear on more Sprint Runs and more main line models as well.

Also the serrated Cruwear version of the C-60 Sprint Run responds very well to the 204 Sharpmaker as well.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

American Flags & Cutlery... SpyderEdge... https://americanflagsandcutlery.com/kni ... ing-knife/

•• Beau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:08 pm
American Flags & Cutlery... SpyderEdge... https://americanflagsandcutlery.com/kni ... ing-knife/

Don't be discouraged my friend. Because most of us here do fully appreciate all of your efforts to help folks find a Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob model.

Everything you've done to help folks has been fully acknowledged and much appreciated. But if you do happen to hear of any more dealers that have one of these gems on their shelves please let us know. I'm starting to want an extra serrated model myself because this is an extremely useful full SE blade.

Buddafucco you have been great with all your helpful efforts.
ovgcguy

Post by ovgcguy »

I never, ever (ever) bank toys just in case.

But I have a backup SE just in case. It's that's great. :)

Brought the Se to shot show for a lesson. (Many thanks to Chase for some 'Edge-ucation'). He said it was the first sighting in the wild so implies this is still a niche model in spite of our collective love for it.

Also I was over thinking SE sharpening. He brought it back to confettiing paper sharp with a few strokes on the fine diamond, medium, fine all on the sharpmaker 40deg. 3:1 ratio beveled:non. Normal pull strokes. No discernable difference in style compared to the PE he sharpened for another guy just before me.

Sharpening was a major hesitation in going to SE for EDC, but after seeing how well and how easily this blade touches up, I'm sold on SE for a lot of tasks.
Nice to see more SE drops lately for those who missed out. PE is fine, but this knife was made for SE IMO
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ovgcguy wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:29 pm
I never, ever (ever) bank toys just in case.

But I have a backup SE just in case. It's that's great. :)

Brought the Se to shot show for a lesson. (Many thanks to Chase for some 'Edge-ucation'). He said it was the first sighting in the wild so implies this is still a niche model in spite of our collective love for it.

Also I was over thinking SE sharpening. He brought it back to confettiing paper sharp with a few strokes on the fine diamond, medium, fine all on the sharpmaker 40deg. 3:1 ratio beveled:non. Normal pull strokes. No discernable difference in style compared to the PE he sharpened for another guy just before me.

Sharpening was a major hesitation in going to SE for EDC, but after seeing how well and how easily this blade touches up, I'm sold on SE for a lot of tasks.
Nice to see more SE drops lately for those who missed out. PE is fine, but this knife was made for SE IMO
If you ever get a Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker a really nice instructional video comes with it. And in that video Sal Glesser ( Spyderco CEO and owner) gives a very good set of instructions on how to sharpen serrations with the Sharpmaker.

My own favorite tool to tune up my serrated blades is another Spyderco sharpening tool known as the 701 Profiles. You get them in a set of 2. There is a medium brown/gray rod and a white fine rod. Also there are several really good Youtube videos on sharpening serrations you might want to check out.

I love the serration pattern on the new C-60 Cruwear Ayoob model. So far all I've used to maintain it's super sharp edge is the 204 Sharpmaker. The key to sharpening serrations is to never let them get dull in the first place. But if you do there are resources out there to help you.
V1.5

Post by V1.5 »

I still haven't been able to hunt down a serrated model, but I haven't given up. The hunt continues....
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear V1.5:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

V1.5 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:21 am
I still haven't been able to hunt down a serrated model, but I haven't given up. The hunt continues....
Me too. Good luck. I'll post here if I find more than one in stock.
- Richard