C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kataphraktos

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by kataphraktos »

Mine arrived yesterday. Really liked it in hand, and action was a little stiff but reasonably smooth for a backlock knife out of the box. But then things went south when I ineptly tried to replace the spoon clip with a deep carry Lynch clip I had lying around. Rather than using the stock Phillips screws, I used some hex clip screws I had lying around. One of them snapped. So then I had the joy of fully disassembling the Ayoob to get the scale off and back the broken screw out of the liner. Ugh.

After an hour I had the same out-of-the-box knife, with the spoon clip back on (couldn't get the stock screws to bite through the Lynch clip), but something got lost in translation a bit as the action is MUCH stiffer now. Hoping it will break in better in time if I can avoid doing anything else to mess it up . . .

Grateful for this thread as I wouldn't have even thought about this knife without it.
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

kataphraktos wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:26 pm
Mine arrived yesterday. Really liked it in hand, and action was a little stiff but reasonably smooth for a backlock knife out of the box. But then things went south when I ineptly tried to replace the spoon clip with a deep carry Lynch clip I had lying around. Rather than using the stock Phillips screws, I used some hex clip screws I had lying around. One of them snapped. So then I had the joy of fully disassembling the Ayoob to get the scale off and back the broken screw out of the liner. Ugh.

After an hour I had the same out-of-the-box knife, with the spoon clip back on (couldn't get the stock screws to bite through the Lynch clip), but something got lost in translation a bit as the action is MUCH stiffer now. Hoping it will break in better in time if I can avoid doing anything else to mess it up . . .

Grateful for this thread as I wouldn't have even thought about this knife without it.
Re-use the screws that came with the knife for the clip exchange. They are slightly smaller than the lynch screws or the standard screws from other spyderco knives it seems.
kataphraktos

Post by kataphraktos »

troutinCO wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:49 pm
Re-use the screws that came with the knife for the clip exchange. They are slightly smaller than the lynch screws or the standard screws from other spyderco knives it seems.
Yep, thanks. Screw gauge confirmed this . . . after I had snapped the standard Spyderco clip screw I tried earlier. My fault, admittedly, for not being more careful and noticing on the front end. Measure twice and cut once, etc.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mark greenman wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:54 am
Mines incredibly smooth to open and close; the only Spyderco lockback I had that was this smooth was the original Gen 1 Manix.

I suggest blowing yours out with compressed air, and then a spray of Hornady One Shot dry lube if it feels gritty.
Yeah I'm kind of on the same page when it comes to lubrication for folding knives. I also use a dry lube known as BP-2000 made by Sentry Solutions. I do believe they have made huge strides in the dry lube technologies. Dry Lube is no longer your father's "graphite" anymore.

It just makes sense to use dry lube with knives and especially with a locking system like the one on the C-60 Ayoob model. Also dry lube doesn't attract lint or other residue you can get from carrying them in your pockets. Wet Lubes have their place and I still use them on other applications but Dry Lube I now believe is the only way to go with folders.
BigFishShamu

Post by BigFishShamu »

I unfortunately still have not heard back from them for the replacement Ayoob screws
“Stepping into the ring was the fight.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BigFishShamu wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:26 am
I unfortunately still have not heard back from them for the replacement Ayoob screws
I think it's Charlynn you would want to talk to about that. As far as I know she still works at Spyderco's "Warranty & Repair Department". In the past she has always been extremely kind and accommodating getting me any parts I've needed. If she has moved on and I'm not aware of it I'm 100% sure there is someone at Spyderco's Warranty and Repair Dept that can surely be of help.

You could also contact Spyderco's retail outlet "SFO" to see if they have any spare parts available. This should not be a big problem. It's just a matter of getting ahold of the right people.
BigFishShamu

Post by BigFishShamu »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:47 am
BigFishShamu wrote:
I think it's Charlynn you would want to talk to about that. As far as I know she still works at Spyderco's "Warranty & Repair Department". In the past she has always been extremely kind and accommodating getting me any parts I've needed. If she has moved on and I'm not aware of it I'm 100% sure there is someone at Spyderco's Warranty and Repair Dept that can surely be of help.

You could also contact Spyderco's retail outlet "SFO" to see if they have any spare parts available. This should not be a big problem. It's just a matter of getting ahold of the right people.
Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely reach out again.
“Stepping into the ring was the fight.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BigFishShamu wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:47 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:47 am
BigFishShamu wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely reach out again.
Yeah those parts should be easily available if we can just run down the right people. Heck I've had them get stuff for me on 20 year old models with little problem. Again the guys that run SFO are also pretty savvy about parts availability as well. And there's a great chance that SFO might also have it available too.

I'm hoping that Charlynn is still there in the Warranty & Repair Department. I've had excellent luck dealing with her over the years. I would recommend getting your parts from Spyderco rather than some aftermarket source. I'm personally really picky about getting the right hardware for any of my Spyderco models. Let us know how it all works out. JD :bug-red O
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i changed mine to tip down right side and i'm trying it out as my only blade today. if i only carry one knife, it's serrated, so i'm giving this one a try in that capacity. typically, my serrated knife is a salt, but i'm trying to also warm up to the idea of a less stainless knife when i don't need to swim in the ocean, don't plan on working out, and the weather is clear.

keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:02 am
i changed mine to tip down right side

Let us know how it goes. It looks like it's more comfortable that way. Which way feels more natural to deploy?
- Richard
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:02 am
i'm trying to also warm up to the idea of a less stainless knife when i don't need to swim in the ocean, don't plan on working out, and the weather is clear.
I've found that this knife doesn't rust easily. I've left it in my back pocket while weight lifting and I haven't seen any rust spots on it yet. I've treated it as a stainless knife for the last few weeks and it still looks brand new. The smooth surface finish is probably improving rust resistance.
I wouldn't leave it in my pocket if I was doing heavy cardio, but I have permanent marks on a VG-10 knife from doing that too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

If you all were to ask me if there are any Spyderco models ( past or present) as "ergonomic" as the C-60 Ayoob I can only think of maybe two models that I feel could seriously compete with it. Two of the Spyderco models that I've owned and used that I've found to have similar capabilities are the JD Smith and the older C-50 Centofante models.

Unless you are a really dedicated knife enthusiast most people have not ever used a folding knife with the ergonomic potential that the C-60 Ayoob has. Massad Ayoob's design of the C-60 is nothing short of pure genius. I hope he will at some point consider doing another folder or fixed blade ergonomic knife design again.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BigFishShamu wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:23 am
Been carrying mine everyday since I got it. I noticed this morning that the clip was loose, and turns out I am missing one of the clip screws. Does anyone know where to order some replacements?
Yes indeed and that's going to happen to at least 80% of the guys/gals that get one of these C-60 Cruwear Ayoob models. And both edge types really grow on you as well. It's one model that just grew on me more and more when I got my first one in 2002. It's also one model that I've found that I can use for virtually any type of cutting job. Heck I even had a friend from the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York who told me that the C-60 Ayoob was his favorite knife to fillet fish with. The possibilities are virtually endless.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Excuse the untimely bump but I do want to ask those of you who are privy to all the dealers that have had these C-60 Cruwear Ayoob models available. And thank you guys again so much for letting all of us know which dealers have made them available. And I'm hoping that one of you guys will let us all know when this Cruwear Ayoob Sprint Run officially sells out. I'm kind of surprised that it hasn't happened yet.. Or maybe it has. I'm getting some money on my upcoming Birthday ( The 16th Dec) and I'm hoping that there will be some units still remaining for sale.

If I had 5 of each edge type I would never get rid of them. Yeah I like the Cruwear Ayoob that much in both edge types. This Cruwear Ayoob is certainly one of my top 3 favorite Spyderco folders of all time. And will be for the foreseeable future I'm sure.

Yeah if one of you can let us know when all the mainline dealers finally sell out of them that would be helpful for all of us.
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

I've been trying to get my hands on a serrated version of this great knife.

Do we know if any more of those will drop or, as JD alluded to, have they all been shipped to dealers?

Thanks for any info on this!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I wish that our good Spyder-Brother i.e. "Buddafucco" would chime in. He had been giving us vital and timely information and sure helped many people locate where the C-60 Ayoob Sprint Runs were available.

Or you could go through some of the back pages on this thread and make a list of the dealers that were recommended. Not only on "Buddafucco's" posts but there were others as well.

Also you could simply check Spyderco's Factory Outlet ( SFO) there in GOLDEN, CO USA Earth. I'm willing to bet that SFO have a few on hand. Or you could call Spyderco in their regular business hours and I'm sure they could give you some information on where to find one. I do know that New Graham Knives has had a few of them. Great people to deal with.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

National Knives has a plain edge listed. No serrated in stock.
https://www.nationalknives.com/spyderco ... gray-g-10/
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

Thanks gents I appreciate the help! I love the plain edge one I have it smoothed up so nice and cuts so well. Just want to try a serrated one now. JD has me hooked lol...
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Kleon wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:32 am
Thanks gents I appreciate the help! I love the plain edge one I have it smoothed up so nice and cuts so well. Just want to try a serrated one now. JD has me hooked lol...
I did some checking last night and was unable to find a SE model for you . I would not give up though . Did you check Amazon , or Best Deals ?
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

Thanks ManixGuy! You guys go above and beyond!

Happy ending here. Ended up finding a gentleman via the Wanted To Buy forum over at BF who offered me one NIB so I can give the serrated one a try and see if I enjoy it as much as my plain edge. JDSpydo strikes again lol...