C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMM

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JMM »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:42 am
The expectation of the C-60 in SPY-27 really has my attention. But now I'm wondering with all the talk about K390 if that wouldn't be a great blade steel for the C-60 Ayoob? Haven't yet heard any confirmation as to how K390 would hold up in a Spyderedged blade. I do know that XHP works well for SE. But it would be interesting to test a prototype of an SE C-60 Ayoob model in both of those steels.

K390 just seems to get more popular as time goes by. I'm kind of now wondering what the rest of you all might think about K390 as a possibility for the C-60 Ayoob at some point? It certainly wouldn't be the first blade they've done in two different blade steels.
I was wondering the same thing in regards to the Ayoob and Sage3. I think it's a good bet that Spyderco put a fair bit of R&D and testing into SE K390 before they rolled it out, which makes me think it'd be a great choice for any of the aforementioned models that should have both a SE & PE versions like the Ayoob and the CF/G10 versions of the Sage3... time will tell. ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JMM wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:43 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:42 am
The expectation of the C-60 in SPY-27 really has my attention. But now I'm wondering with all the talk about K390 if that wouldn't be a great blade steel for the C-60 Ayoob? Haven't yet heard any confirmation as to how K390 would hold up in a Spyderedged blade. I do know that XHP works well for SE. But it would be interesting to test a prototype of an SE C-60 Ayoob model in both of those steels.

K390 just seems to get more popular as time goes by. I'm kind of now wondering what the rest of you all might think about K390 as a possibility for the C-60 Ayoob at some point? It certainly wouldn't be the first blade they've done in two different blade steels.
I was wondering the same thing in regards to the Ayoob and Sage3. I think it's a good bet that Spyderco put a fair bit of R&D and testing into SE K390 before they rolled it out, which makes me think it'd be a great choice for any of the aforementioned models that should have both a SE & PE versions like the Ayoob and the CF/G10 versions of the Sage3... time will tell. ;)
Yeah I think you're getting it. Because look what happened about ten years ago when Spyderco made a few of their SE models in ZDP-189. They quickly discovered that ZDP-189 had terrible problems with SE blades. They had to abort that project immediately.

Yeah I sure want extensive testing before I see any of these newer steels to become SE without testing them first. Serrated edges are a completely different tool all together.
benben

Post by benben »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:32 am
benben wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:27 am
I'm carrying my Ayoob at work today, go ahead and admit it, you're all jealous! :D
No I'm not jealous at all. Because when I get my new Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob I will semi-retire my M390 Military and the new C-60 Ayoob is in line to be my next primary EDC. I think it's just the proper thing to do.

There will be no need to be jealous or envious. Because this New C-60 Ayoob will be the best thing to come along in the last 5 years or so.
Yep, it's obvious, you're jealous! ;)
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'm jealous! 😂
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:00 am
JD Spydo wrote:
benben wrote:
I'm carrying my Ayoob at work today, go ahead and admit it, you're all jealous! :D
No I'm not jealous at all. Because when I get my new Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob I will semi-retire my M390 Military and the new C-60 Ayoob is in line to be my next primary EDC. I think it's just the proper thing to do.

There will be no need to be jealous or envious. Because this New C-60 Ayoob will be the best thing to come along in the last 5 years or so.
I do own 3 of the past C-60 models. But at this time I find an M390 blade ( C-36 Military model) to be superior to a VG-10 blade. But in spite of all of that I still do carry one of my Ayoob models at least once or twice a month. No need for jealousy my friend. But I can see why you might think that. Because most people here in Spyderville are envious of C-60 Ayoob owners. I can't even begin to tell you how many people I talk to via e-mail that ask me where they can get an older C-60 model. There aren't many of them available on the open market.
benben

Post by benben »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:24 am
benben wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
benben wrote:

I do own 3 of the past C-60 models. But at this time I find an M390 blade ( C-36 Military model) to be superior to a VG-10 blade. But in spite of all of that I still do carry one of my Ayoob models at least once or twice a month. No need for jealousy my friend. But I can see why you might think that. Because most people here in Spyderville are envious of C-60 Ayoob owners. I can't even begin to tell you how many people I talk to via e-mail that ask me where they can get an older C-60 model. There aren't many of them available on the open market.
Messing with you JD, I knew you owned at least a couple C-60's in your collection! Okay, everyone except JD is jealous! :)
James Y

Post by James Y »

TBH, I was never interested in the C-60 model until this thread. I remember back when it was in production, and I wasn’t interested at the time. I am assuming that any new version will be CQI’d, so we’ll wait and see. I’m definitely planning to get one, depending on what steel is used. If it’s SPY27, that would be the best outcome (IMO). If it’s a non-stainless tool steel, I’ll give it a pass. As much as I would like to have one, if I somehow miss out on this sprint, I might be a little disappointed, but no sadness or jealousy here. :)

Jim
benben

Post by benben »

James Y wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:59 am
TBH, I was never interested in the C-60 model until this thread. I remember back when it was in production, and I wasn’t interested at the time. I am assuming that any new version will be CQI’d, so we’ll wait and see. I’m definitely planning to get one, depending on what steel is used. If it’s SPY27, that would be the best outcome (IMO). If it’s a non-stainless tool steel, I’ll give it a pass. As much as I would like to have one, if I somehow miss out on this sprint, I might be a little disappointed, but no sadness or jealousy here. :)

Jim
I'll be very shocked if it's a non-stainless tool steel!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:44 am
JD Spydo wrote:
benben wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

Messing with you JD, I knew you owned at least a couple C-60's in your collection! Okay, everyone except JD is jealous! :)
It's all good :) Everyone on this thread wants the new C-60 to be released very soon. I think we are all on pins and needles anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new C-60 model. To me it will be like Christmas day in many respects when the first ones out of the factory start shipping. I do want a C-60 in a better blade steel than VG-10 and I think we're going to get that. The sooner the better. This thread has been a great success for all of us here at Spyderville>> that is those who choose to take advantage of it.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

benben wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
benben wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

I'm not jealous either as I have two, an Almite and a G-10.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:24 pm
benben wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
benben wrote:

I'm not jealous either as I have two, an Almite and a G-10.
However there is a problem. Nobody that has one wants to sell or trade the ones they have. I've not traded an Ayoob model since about 2006 I think it was. It's sort of a sacred cow with collectors. That's another major reason this upcoming Sprint Run is long overdue.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I’m jealous.... had to sell mine when things got tough....so this time...it’s a Godsend! I always kinda like VG-10 , personally I don’t care if spyderco makes the blade out of old bottle caps....I want the knife!!!!
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

So I got mine last week and I’ve found it doesn’t carry well in the front right pocket. Well it carries fine but having to reach into the pocket the corners of the handle are kind of harsh on the side of my hand. Has any one dulled the corners? Or settled on back pocket carry? IWB? Other ideas?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:12 pm
I’m jealous.... had to sell mine when things got tough....so this time...it’s a Godsend! I always kinda like VG-10 , personally I don’t care if spyderco makes the blade out of old bottle caps....I want the knife!!!!
And please be clear folks. When I said I wanted a C-60 Ayoob in a different steel than VG-10 it wasn't because I dislike VG-10. It is because it's high time that they make that knife in a newer/better blade steel. And it appears that's what's coming our way. But even if they go ahead and do it in VG-10 I'll still keep my place in line to get two of each ( SE & PE). But if I have an option I would rather they do something else. I still regard VG-10 as a dependable user blade steel.

But this project needs something like this new SPY-27.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Burton Knut wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:27 pm
So I got mine last week and I’ve found it doesn’t carry well in the front right pocket. Well it carries fine but having to reach into the pocket the corners of the handle are kind of harsh on the side of my hand. Has any one dulled the corners? Or settled on back pocket carry? IWB? Other ideas?
Actually I've never had those problems with any of the C-60 models I have. I'm wondering if you got the correct factory clip on yours? It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a clip changed out. I've always carried my main EDC in my front right pocket.
Amon

Post by Amon »

Hi Guys,

this Thread is awesome. Wait for the new Run too. SE/PE for me.

Here is my humble Collection.

All three Variations: glossy, matte, G10

My current Folder Collection, the SE below the Lum is my EDC:

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Amon wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:44 am
Hi Guys,

this Thread is awesome. Wait for the new Run too. SE/PE for me.

Here is my humble Collection.
Well first off WELCOME to the Forum "Amon" :)
This thread is pulling out a lot of people>> new members like yourself and older members that haven't been here in a while too. That is a most impressive line up of the C-60 Ayoob model you have. I've met so many people like myself that once they got ahold of a C-60 Ayoob they never could let go of it. And the more I use one it's amazing how functional that knife is.

I'm just hoping that Mr. Massad Ayoob will at some point design another great model for us.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Wow! What a collection!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Welcome Amon! Nice pride of Ayoobs.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
benben

Post by benben »

Well, we know Amon is definitely NOT jealous! Great collection and welcome aboard!