C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by benben »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:14 pm
As I've said; proto scales made in the US and shipped to Japan. Hand made sample sent for approval. Once approved, begin tooling. When tooling is complete, production proto to us for approval. Once approved, production begins. One production is complete and approved of, sent to Golden, QC'd, packaged and shipped to dealers.

sal
And Boom! Thanks for the post & update Sal, can’t wait!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:49 am
sal wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:14 pm
As I've said; proto scales made in the US and shipped to Japan. Hand made sample sent for approval. Once approved, begin tooling. When tooling is complete, production proto to us for approval. Once approved, production begins. One production is complete and approved of, sent to Golden, QC'd, packaged and shipped to dealers.

sal
And Boom! Thanks for the post & update Sal, can’t wait!
Good news is always soothing to the soul ;) >> One big problem I'm going to encounter is that on some new knives I get I find it very difficult to start using them. And I'm sure this one is really going to have a very regal look to it. Yeah this C-60 will be one to show off and brag about.

I'm hoping that either "BLADE" or "Knives Illustrated" magazines will do an extensive review article on this newly revamped C-60 model. Maybe not because of it being a Sprint Run. But I ultimately hope there will be more than one run. Most of the knife magazines have been very kind to Spyderco's great products in the last 5 years especially. And this one will garner a lot of intense interest I'm sure.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’m one of those newbies who hasn’t had a chance to experience the classic designs (my definition of “classic” may be skewed as the company has existed well longer than I have), but I always liked the look of the model ever since seeing it in a BladeHQ video where they asked people what knives were in their pocket that day.
It struck me as pretty cool a women was carrying it as well! Clearly shows the design’s wide appeal and apparent usefulness. :)
I believe she described the blade angle in particular as something helpful while using the knife
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I can hardly wait!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

It's probably a safe bet we won't get this within the first half of 2021...maybe even later. I mean we still haven't gotten the Z-wear Shaman yet and the year's about to end, and that's for a knife with existing production tooling around. How much more for a knife with new steel, some updates, and a back and forth prototyping between Colorado and Japan. I would be pleasantly surprised if it would come earlier, but I won't be holding my breath for it to drop anytime soon next year.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

nerdlock wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:52 am
It's probably a safe bet we won't get this within the first half of 2021...maybe even later. I mean we still haven't gotten the Z-wear Shaman yet and the year's about to end, and that's for a knife with existing production tooling around. How much more for a knife with new steel, some updates, and a back and forth prototyping between Colorado and Japan. I would be pleasantly surprised if it would come earlier, but I won't be holding my breath for it to drop anytime soon next year.

Probably just has to do with factory capacity. Golden is likely near max, so it depends on how busy Seki is. I definitely don't expect it any faster than mid year at the earliest though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

vivi wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:16 pm
https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/products/1021124/

Another popped up on their site, this one a little more reasonably priced.
This one ended up being LNIB. No sign of it being used or carried. :D
8B22672E-20EA-4C06-A4BC-144C3962E2AB.jpeg
7875E5AA-28ED-44F7-8CEF-CE6C96D45B7B.jpeg
Last edited by ChopSliceStab on Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:03 am
This thread is supposed to be about an upcoming knife. I don't know if you're being a troll or are just trying a little too hard to be funny, but in either case perhaps you should start a new thread for your unrelated comments, and save this one for discussion of the upcoming Ayoob. That way, we could get the best of both worlds. :rolleyes:

Regarding the upcoming knife read back.

Strictly on topic I've just posted a very specific concern regarding the impact of moving the steel around the world might have upon the final price of this product. Because we have examples like that, there's a topic where people were asking why a fixed blade like Zoomer ends-up being that expensive.

Some self-appointed topic police didn't like what I was saying and from there it was all downhill because, I must admit, I can't help myself not being amused when encountering such specimens :D
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Gsg9 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:46 pm

I'm sure that if you just calm down and forget about me
Guys, he accidentally gave sage advice! Put him on ignore and don't take the bait.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

ChopSliceStab wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:48 am
vivi wrote:

Congrats! Finding an older model NIB like that is a special feeling.
:unicorn
benben

Post by benben »

vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:21 am
ChopSliceStab wrote:
vivi wrote:

Yes it is! I felt like some kind of thief when I found mine....couldn’t get to my car fast enough!
CF4C43DE-A6B6-49EB-A37D-4059A33A87BC.jpeg
vivi

Post by vivi »

benben wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:42 am
vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:21 am
ChopSliceStab wrote:
vivi wrote:

Yes it is! I felt like some kind of thief when I found mine....couldn’t get to my car fast enough!
CF4C43DE-A6B6-49EB-A37D-4059A33A87BC.jpeg
Haha, its like how I couldn't hit BUY fast enough when I saw the foliage green Manix at New Graham.
:unicorn
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’m assuming that the C-60 was made by Moki, not G. Sakai. So I’m also going to assume it will be made by Moki again(?).

Jim
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Gsg9,

You are correct in that parts and steels traveling all over the globe does add cost. Yes, it is more expensive, but if our ELU's want something as unique as this, that's what it takes to make it.

If cost and cheap price was the only concern, we'd make all or most of our knives in China as many of our competitors do.

Hi James, you are correct, but they've had a tough 10 years and the company has also changed quite a bit. We value loyalty and long term relationships, so it is our way to work with them.

sal
James Y

Post by James Y »

sal wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:37 pm
Hi James, you are correct, but they've had a tough 10 years and the company has also changed quite a bit. We value loyalty and long term relationships, so it is our way to work with them.

sal

That is very commendable, Sal. I hope that Moki is able to regain its stability and see brighter days.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:46 pm
sal wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:37 pm

sal

That is very commendable, Sal. I hope that Moki is able to regain its stability and see brighter days.

Jim
I've always had a special liking for many of the "Moki" made Spyders.

I would love to go down "Memory Lane" and try to find out "what" or "who" or even "why" that made the ultimate decision to have "Moki" made the C-60 Ayoob model? They obviously had other options including the possibility of making it at the GOLDEN plant.

Myself I've always loved many of the Japan made Spyderco models. Oh sure I've also had an affinity for the GOLDEN Made Spyderco models too.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:09 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:08 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:05 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:54 am
I’d like to see this happen for sure. My brother has the original version (in PE, I believe) and I’ve always kicked myself for not getting one when they were still readily available. I’d be all over an SE version too. I’m not too picky on handle or blade materials, but I’d probably lean more towards a stainless steel on a Sprint, like CPM-154 or even XHP.
Hey XHP would be OK with me too. Because I do know for a fact that XHP makes for a good blade steel for Spyderedges. That way they could do the XHP in PE & SE too.

The best G-10 that money can buy would be A-OK for me for handle material. However I've dreamed about a Carbon Fiber Ayoob in some of my sweetest dreams. But what the heck. They could do the blade in M390 and you wouldn't hear one complaint from this ol' SpyderHead :cool:
For sure! M390 and Blue G-10...might be a job for Bento Box, eh? ;)
Spydernut I never responded to this earlier post of yours. Actually I never remember even seeing it before. But going over the thread again to see what I might have missed I was just happy as I could be when I seen this ultra-cool suggestion of your's :cool: Blue G-10 and an M390 blade would make for a great possible specialty collector version of The C-60 Ayoob that Spyderco should by all means consider if the upcoming Sprint Runs does well ( which I fully believe it will).

Because I've had fantasies for years for this model to return in either a peel ply Carbon Fiber handle or any other type of CF handle for that matter and some really exotic supersteel blade steel. Even if economics would restrict us to even a top grade of G-10 for a handle that would be fine too.

I'm all ears for any other viable suggestion as well for a premium, deluxe grade of a possible C-60 Ayoob Sprint model. Yes!!! I do indeed like the idea completely. Glad I seen this post :)
No worries, JD. I'm only two months tardy in getting back with you. :o So, what's the latest report on the C-60 Ayoob Sprint?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:57 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:09 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:08 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:05 am

Hey XHP would be OK with me too. Because I do know for a fact that XHP makes for a good blade steel for Spyderedges. That way they could do the XHP in PE & SE too.

The best G-10 that money can buy would be A-OK for me for handle material. However I've dreamed about a Carbon Fiber Ayoob in some of my sweetest dreams. But what the heck. They could do the blade in M390 and you wouldn't hear one complaint from this ol' SpyderHead :cool:
For sure! M390 and Blue G-10...might be a job for Bento Box, eh? ;)
Spydernut I never responded to this earlier post of yours. Actually I never remember even seeing it before. But going over the thread again to see what I might have missed I was just happy as I could be when I seen this ultra-cool suggestion of your's :cool: Blue G-10 and an M390 blade would make for a great possible specialty collector version of The C-60 Ayoob that Spyderco should by all means consider if the upcoming Sprint Runs does well ( which I fully believe it will).

Because I've had fantasies for years for this model to return in either a peel ply Carbon Fiber handle or any other type of CF handle for that matter and some really exotic supersteel blade steel. Even if economics would restrict us to even a top grade of G-10 for a handle that would be fine too.

I'm all ears for any other viable suggestion as well for a premium, deluxe grade of a possible C-60 Ayoob Sprint model. Yes!!! I do indeed like the idea completely. Glad I seen this post :)
No worries, JD. I'm only two months tardy in getting back with you. :o So, what's the latest report on the C-60 Ayoob Sprint?
I'm just sitting on pins and needles waiting for new information on the release of the C-60 Ayoob Sprint run. I haven't heard any time line on it at all. From what I have heard I'm convinced that they are probably going to use that SPY-27 blade steel. Which is fine by me>> I just hope it makes a good SE blade steel.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

I don't think I'd enjoy sitting on pins or needles, let alone both.

Wouldn't the release be included in one of the big product reveals, since it's not a dealer exclusive? I feel like it's been forever, but from digging back through the thread, I guess it's only been 4 months since the green light came together for this. I'm guessing we have a few months more before we can hope to purchase.

Which is fine by me... gives me a reason to buy myself a Shaman now as a Christmas present, then a C-60 down the road when they get dropped!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Rp5 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:23 am
I don't think I'd enjoy sitting on pins or needles, let alone both.

Wouldn't the release be included in one of the big product reveals, since it's not a dealer exclusive? I feel like it's been forever, but from digging back through the thread, I guess it's only been 4 months since the green light came together for this. I'm guessing we have a few months more before we can hope to purchase.

Which is fine by me... gives me a reason to buy myself a Shaman now as a Christmas present, then a C-60 down the road when they get dropped!
I'm sure all of this COVID disruption has more than likely slowed down many different products from a lot of different companies. We were 5 months getting any laundry sanitizer here in the town where I live just as an example. There are obviously problems with delivery along with sources and supply. Also it's more difficult for a lot of companies to meet their goals, their deadlines and to get vendors to do their obligations.