C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

vivi wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:52 pm
If they ever run the Calypso with screw construction, count me in.

It is an amazing design, but I sold my brown G10 sprint because I knew once the liners started rusting, I'd be SOL and unable to clean them.

The blade shape, the grind, the ergonomics.....basically a perfect design besides the pinned construction in my eyes.
Well Vivi do you want to make the C-54 Calypso the next one to be resurrected :) ??? But I would also want it in SE & PE both and I would also like to consider doing another C-54 model with a similar Micarta handle that the original one had.

What a heck of a gift set a Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob and a newly revamped C-54 Calypso would make for Christmas time :) Hey I'm entitled to have a fantasy occasionally aren't I :D ??
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:37 pm
Rp5 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:26 pm
Would also be interested in the logistics... was the 2011 sprint run done through a distributor, or direct from Spyderco?
I got all three of the G-10 Sprint Run C-60 models from a friend of mine down in Florida at that time. He was dealing directly with one of the well known distributors at the time. But it's been so long I can't remember which dealers or distributors that handled that one. I don't think there were very many units of the Sprint Run G-10 Ayoob 2011 run. Because at this point in time it's virtually impossible to even find a used one.
Thanks JD.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Rp5 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:16 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:37 pm
Rp5 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:26 pm
Would also be interested in the logistics... was the 2011 sprint run done through a distributor, or direct from Spyderco?
I got all three of the G-10 Sprint Run C-60 models from a friend of mine down in Florida at that time. He was dealing directly with one of the well known distributors at the time. But it's been so long I can't remember which dealers or distributors that handled that one. I don't think there were very many units of the Sprint Run G-10 Ayoob 2011 run. Because at this point in time it's virtually impossible to even find a used one.
Thanks JD.
Hey look if you really want one of these C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run models then you'll be able to get one. However you will need to pull the trigger in less than a month because I truly believe they'll fly off the shelves at a pretty rapid rate. But if you want one bad enough there will be opportunities.

Also just stay around this Forum and the word will get out which dealers will have them. I'm also sure that Spyderco's outlet "SFO" ( Spyderco Factory Outlet) will most definitely have a percentage of them as well.

They will be available to anyone who wants one bad enough. But the key is >> Don't procrastinate!! Get it as soon as it comes out. Because I don't think that there will be a big window of time before they are sold out. And I hope that they sell out so fast that Spyderco will consider putting that model back into the main line up. And I do think that there is a chance of that depending on how fast they sell out. But do get one as soon has they hit the dealer's shelves.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

JD - TRUST, while I may be recent to the Spyderco world, I'm well aware of opportunity knocking for a short time. I pull up the forum every other day. I pre-ordered a release from reveal 6 within hours of availability (hello FFG SE Salt Pacific), and pulled the trigger on the LC200N autonomy days later (thanks Kansas knife laws.) I think I understand what knives will be popular on a basic level, and the buying bug is heavy at the moment for me. The C-60 is one of my top 5 for purchasing in the next 12 month time-frame (C-60, PM2, and mules - could I even go wrong?) Your recommendation plays a big part in that plan, and I appreciate your dedication to bringing back the model.The decision to buy one has already been made if it's available in a style I like.

That said, I am new to the knife aficionado world, and while I trust the major distributors like knifecenter and bladehq, or even DLT or SKN... I'm less familiar with others. It seems like there's at least 50 distributors ordering sprint versions of specific models. How a sprint run gets released is still an important part of the equation for me. I think following the forum gives me a decent heads up on sprint deals, and I'll try to catch a SE Ayoob on the day it becomes available, but if the version I want sells out in minutes, I'm not one to scour the secondary market. Prompts me to be certain I'm catching the first wave of availability.

End of the day - I just want to make sure I'm prepared for the release. I'd like nothing more than the C-60 to sell out quickly with me having ordered one and Spyderco having a popular run on their hands.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well if the C-60 sells out in minutes then I might be out of luck. I doubt if that will be the case but at the same time I don't look for them to last more than two months at the most.

But I can assure you that you will love it when you get one. I do think that this will be one of the most anticipated Sprint Runs we've had in quite some time. And just the fact that the company is willing to make it available in SE & PE both is really encouraging that we might see some more of these better models offered up in SE.

And again I do hope that Spyderco does really well with this Sprint Run. If they do well with this Sprint Run then maybe we can get more of them down the road.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

It will sell well as long as the steel is more premium than VG10 and construction will be screwed on, not pinned. (0.02¢) :)
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
benben

Post by benben »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:28 am
Well if the C-60 sells out in minutes then I might be out of luck.
I have to say, that would be tragic (and kind of funny :D) if YOU of all people missed out on this sprint because of a selling frenzy! You better have Sal sit you a couple back just to be on the safe side! ;)
benben

Post by benben »

31 pages.....thread of 2020??
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:49 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:28 am
Well if the C-60 sells out in minutes then I might be out of luck.
I have to say, that would be tragic (and kind of funny :D) if YOU of all people missed out on this sprint because of a selling frenzy! You better have Sal sit you a couple back just to be on the safe side! ;)
Oh believe me BenBen I have given that some serous thought already :rolleyes: . And it sure isn't out of the realm of possibility either. But I do believe if anyone seriously wants one that they must absolutely pull the trigger by at least the first two to three weeks of it's release to be totally assured that they will get one. Because the response I've been getting over at Bladeforums indicates to me that a lot of people are going to be interested in this new C-60 Ayoob on it's release.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:50 am
31 pages.....thread of 2020??
BenBen if you would have told me that this thread would have gotten up past 30 pages I really would not have believed it back in July when I started this thread. But that should be a testament as to how many Spyderco fans and knife fans in general have always liked the C-60 Ayoob model. It truly has had a cult following like few other Spyderco models have enjoyed over the years.

And as nasty as this year 2020 has been to a lot of good people even here on the Forum I do believe this Sprint Run is going to be well received to say the least. I'm now ultimately hoping that the response will be so fast and so great that Sal might even consider bringing it back to the main line up again. Because this C-60 has gotten far more fanfare than most any other Sprint Runs I can remember in recent times. Wouldn't you Say???
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:08 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:05 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:54 am
I’d like to see this happen for sure. My brother has the original version (in PE, I believe) and I’ve always kicked myself for not getting one when they were still readily available. I’d be all over an SE version too. I’m not too picky on handle or blade materials, but I’d probably lean more towards a stainless steel on a Sprint, like CPM-154 or even XHP.
Hey XHP would be OK with me too. Because I do know for a fact that XHP makes for a good blade steel for Spyderedges. That way they could do the XHP in PE & SE too.

The best G-10 that money can buy would be A-OK for me for handle material. However I've dreamed about a Carbon Fiber Ayoob in some of my sweetest dreams. But what the heck. They could do the blade in M390 and you wouldn't hear one complaint from this ol' SpyderHead :cool:
For sure! M390 and Blue G-10...might be a job for Bento Box, eh? ;)
Spydernut I never responded to this earlier post of yours. Actually I never remember even seeing it before. But going over the thread again to see what I might have missed I was just happy as I could be when I seen this ultra-cool suggestion of your's :cool: Blue G-10 and an M390 blade would make for a great possible specialty collector version of The C-60 Ayoob that Spyderco should by all means consider if the upcoming Sprint Runs does well ( which I fully believe it will).

Because I've had fantasies for years for this model to return in either a peel ply Carbon Fiber handle or any other type of CF handle for that matter and some really exotic supersteel blade steel. Even if economics would restrict us to even a top grade of G-10 for a handle that would be fine too.

I'm all ears for any other viable suggestion as well for a premium, deluxe grade of a possible C-60 Ayoob Sprint model. Yes!!! I do indeed like the idea completely. Glad I seen this post :)
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:22 am
It will sell well as long as the steel is more premium than VG10 and construction will be screwed on, not pinned. (0.02¢) :)
If it ends up being lc200n with screwed construction I may end up buying two :)
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:02 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:22 am
If it ends up being lc200n with screwed construction I may end up buying two :)
That's another goal I have out of all of this C-60 Ayoob restoration project>> I would also love to eventually see a SALT version in PE & SE in LC200N. And I also want to see a premium/deluxe collector grade version too.

Well you know what one particular old philosopher once said ??:: >> "The beginning of a 1000 mile journey is to take the first step". I think we've got "Step #1" out of the way. And if this Sprint Run sells like Led Zeppelin Tickets did in the 1970s I do believe there will be more possibilities for more versions of the C-60 Ayoob. But first things first!!

We've got to show Mr. Glesser we mean business>> and serious business at that. But I do think we're headed in the right direction :)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Joe,
If I didn't already reply here, I'm all for this, particularly for an SE based on what Doc. Snubnose (did MJ say this too?) that the Ayoob didn't tend to snag like other SE knives. I see there's one (or was yesterday) at arixona custom, but it's signed (cool, but) and is over 400 bucks IIRC.

Would love to get one but at a new price preferably, and hopefully not over about 200 each or so.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

defenestrate wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:39 pm
Joe,
If I didn't already reply here, I'm all for this, particularly for an SE based on what Doc. Snubnose (did MJ say this too?) that the Ayoob didn't tend to snag like other SE knives. I see there's one (or was yesterday) at arixona custom, but it's signed (cool, but) and is over 400 bucks IIRC.

Would love to get one but at a new price preferably, and hopefully not over about 200 each or so.
Hey Ol' Buddy :) It's been a while since I've heard from you. I had a feeling that this thread would eventually draw some of the old school guys back again.

Yeah I've told the folks about the meat test that Doc Snubnose did with his SE version of the C-60 Ayoob. Well the good news just in case you haven't read the entire thread yet>> Sal is going to do them in SE & PE both. They should be playing the song
"Happy Days Are Here Again" . You'll get your chance to get one of each but I'm not sure when they will be released. My guess is it will be some time after the first of the year.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Joe,

Have you tried out the Chinook model? At a glance the design looks very similar to the Ayoob, wondering how it compares.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Rp5 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:05 pm
Joe,

Have you tried out the Chinook model? At a glance the design looks very similar to the Ayoob, wondering how it compares.
I've owned 3 of the different Chinook models over the years. My favorite was the Chinook III. It was another GOLDEN made model I would have loved to have seen in full SE.

I can see how you think that the Chinook and the Ayoob are similar but I've owned and used both over the years and I find the C-60 Ayoob a lot more versatile. Oh don't get me wrong because the Chinook models were some of the better made models from the Golden, CO USA Earth plant. But there are so many differences in the two models.

You might not think so just to look at them side by side but they are like comparing apples and oranges. And don't get me wrong because I would love a Chinook III in either M390, M-4 or XHP. But the two models i.e. the C-60 Ayoob and the Chinook
models have so many differences in versatility and overall blade geometry.
benben

Post by benben »

Rp5 wrote:
Joe,

The Chinook could cut the Ayoob in half! ;) :D
Attachments
E37EB386-0ECF-4BEC-9952-7D4325C6B0E8.jpeg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:13 am
Rp5 wrote:
Joe,

The Chinook could cut the Ayoob in half! ;) :D
No argument that the Chinook III is built like an "Abrams Tank" :cool: >> but the versatility of the C-60 is also hard to argue with too.

Again the Chinook III with the full flat grind was my favorite out of all the Chinook models.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Hey JD! I don't come around much anymore, but I wanted to chime in just to say how happy I am to see Sal finally granting your wish. As long as I've been here you've been singing the praises of the Ayoob, and I think this is well deserved! I personally probably won't be going after this one as my knife box is pretty full, but I'm glad it's happening nonetheless. Now if you ever want to campaign for a Captain reboot...well, I can always find space for that!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."