C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by vivi »

If they ever run the Calypso with screw construction, count me in.

It is an amazing design, but I sold my brown G10 sprint because I knew once the liners started rusting, I'd be SOL and unable to clean them.

The blade shape, the grind, the ergonomics.....basically a perfect design besides the pinned construction in my eyes.
:unicorn
James Y

Post by James Y »

Once this is released, if I can manage to snatch up one of these C-60 sprints in time, I’m only getting one. So only the SE version for me.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:51 pm
I think it is pent up demand since the last spring was PE only.
Yeah that was the 2011 Sprint Run. I was so disappointed that it was PE only. Because when they went to that G-10 handle it improved the model immensely>> and it was pretty darn good in the original model. But the G-10 handle on the one you're talking about seemed to make it a completely different model all together.

However I'm just extremely grateful that we are able to resurrect this awesome ergonomic model. But if it becomes really popular as a result of this new Sprint Run then maybe someday we can get another C-60 in a different blade steel and different handle material. I often think how cool this model would be with a Titanium handle.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

What, no post today? You're sleeping on the job today JD! :D
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think I missed the conclusion about screw construction? I know I read that it's getting a 4 way clip but still pinned?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:12 am
What, no post today? You're sleeping on the job today JD! :D
Don't you think so for one second "JR" :D Wild Horses couldn't drag me away from this thread :D I always loved that Rolling Stones song :cool:

I've really been kind of surprised at how the POLL thread for the C-60 Ayoob has developed. Apparently the rise in popularity for Spyderedged blades has expanded far more than I had even imagined>> and that's great!!! :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:41 am
I think I missed the conclusion about screw construction? I know I read that it's getting a 4 way clip but still pinned?
Yeah I was thinking the same thing myself. Because from what I understood even Sal himself was all for that change.

There has been so other confusion as well. But there's nothing that can't be worked out over time. We'll see
Donut

Post by Donut »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Donut wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:43 pm
30% SE and 70% PE? That sounds like a typical Combo Edge.
I believe they are talking about percentage of the run being SE, not the blades themselves.
That does make a lot more sense. :)
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:29 am
Donut wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:43 pm
30% SE and 70% PE? That sounds like a typical Combo Edge.
Yeah I should have been more detailed in my explanation :o No my recommendation to Mr. Glesser was to produce 30% of the units in full SE and 70% of the units in PE. I thought those numbers would be ideal to hopefully insure that all of the Sprint Run will sell out rather than having Spyderco be stuck with several left over, unsold models. However Mr. Glesser suggested 40% in SE and 60% in PE. And he's got more insight than I do for sure.

Nope I really don't think making a C-60 Ayoob model in combo edge is a good idea >> at least at this time anyway.
I should have figured that out, I knew that it didn't make sense!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah and please all of you go to the C-60 Poll thread that I put up this past Saturday. And please vote for the edge type you want if you elect to get one of these Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob folders. And I know that Spyderco is keeping a close eye on that poll just so they make enough of each edge type.

I'm looking more forward to this C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run that I am my next Birthday or Christmas. If this Sprint Run goes over big as I predict it will then we've got a chance to establish a really close tie to the company. That way I firmly believe they will be apt to consider more of our suggestions for upcoming Sprint runs in the future.

This upcoming C-60 Sprint Run will also show a lot of the newcomers what they missed with many of these past models.
4077th

Post by 4077th »

put me down for the serrated model. Looking forward to this!
James Y

Post by James Y »

TBH, I don’t care about sprints...at all. But this thread has me really wanting a C-60. And I was doing so good without the obsessive “need” to accumulate many more knives. The knife world is kinda like the mob: “Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.”

:D

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:08 pm
TBH, I don’t care about sprints...at all. But this thread has me really wanting a C-60. And I was doing so good without the obsessive “need” to accumulate many more knives. The knife world is kinda like the mob: “Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.”

Jim
But it's all for your own good Jim :D And when you consider that this Sprint Run might just bring back a really well designed model that many newer Spyderco fans have not yet been aware of much less have never yet got to try one out.

It's only right that many newer Spyderco fans discover one of the past models that catapulted Spyderco's reputation to where it's at this very day.

Jim I'll personally guarantee that you'll love this knife when you get it. As many off line conversations as we've had I'm convinced that this model is most definitely right up your alley. And I also want your "martial arts" viewpoint on this model as well after you get to test drive it. Because after all it was primarily designed as a Self Defense type blade.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:47 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim
But it's all for your own good Jim :D And when you consider that this Sprint Run might just bring back a really well designed model that many newer Spyderco fans have not yet been aware of much less have never yet got to try one out.

It's only right that many newer Spyderco fans discover one of the past models that catapulted Spyderco's reputation to where it's at this very day.

Jim I'll personally guarantee that you'll love this knife when you get it. As many off line conversations as we've had I'm convinced that this model is most definitely right up your alley. And I also want your "martial arts" viewpoint on this model as well after you get to test drive it. Because after all it was primarily designed as a Self Defense type blade.

Joe,

Yes, hopefully it will capture the attention of everyone who missed it before.

I’m not an expert in knife self-defense or knife combatives, so on that part, I’ll leave it to the authority on the subject, Michael Janich. Maybe he will weigh in on that, once (if?) he gets one, if he doesn’t already have one.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:50 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:47 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim

Joe,

Yes, hopefully it will capture the attention of everyone who missed it before.

I’m not an expert in knife self-defense or knife combatives, so on that part, I’ll leave it to the authority on the subject, Michael Janich. Maybe he will weigh in on that, once (if?) he gets one, if he doesn’t already have one.

Jim
Yes the C-60 Ayoob was primarily designed as a "Self Defense" folder. However I don't know anyone who owns a C-60 that only views it that way. Because it didn't take me long at all to realize that it is one of the most flexible and ergonomic designs I ever dealt with. I've used a couple of my C-60 Ayoob models as an EDC>> the only reason I use my M390 Military more than I do one of my C-60 Ayoob models is because M390 is just a better blade steel for EDC use than VG-10 is.

That was one of my goals on this project to see a Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob with one of the Supersteel blades. But one project at a time and with patience good things come to those who patiently wait. If this Sprint Run goes over big you can be rest assure that Spyderco will be open to another run.

The C-60 Ayoob can do about any cutting job you so desire. Not only will it make a great SD folder it will become one of your favorite EDC models as well. A C-60 Ayoob with M390, 204P or maybe 10V or one of many great Supersteels would make for an ideal EDC.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I completely ignored the C-60 the first time(s) it was available. Now that this thread has ignited my desire for one, I can see that whatever makes it a great design for SD also makes it a great design for utility uses. The same cannot always be said about other primarily SD-oriented designs.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:48 am
I completely ignored the C-60 the first time(s) it was available. Now that this thread has ignited my desire for one, I can see that whatever makes it a great design for SD also makes it a great design for utility uses. The same cannot always be said about other primarily SD-oriented designs.

Jim
Well I want all of you to remember what an old/past Forum member told me a few years back. He lived up in the Finger Lakes area of upstate New York state. He was an avid fisherman and outdoorsman. And he was the one who told me that the C-60 Ayoob was his favorite "Fillet Knife".

Now I was just a bit taken back when he first told me that. But since then I've used one to cut up beef, pork, chicken and some fish as well. At first I didn't think the C-60 had a long enough blade to be an effective "Fillet Knife" but since then I've changed my mind.

To me that almost makes the case for a Salt Version. But first things first>> I want to see how this Sprint Run plays out. I do believe that when they are released that if you don't get one within the first 3 to 5 weeks you won't get one. I do believe they will sell that fast.
confucius

Post by confucius »

New member. Very interested in this sprint run. Will the date/vendor be announced here? Thanks.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Would also be interested in the logistics... was the 2011 sprint run done through a distributor, or direct from Spyderco?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Rp5 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:26 pm
Would also be interested in the logistics... was the 2011 sprint run done through a distributor, or direct from Spyderco?
I got all three of the G-10 Sprint Run C-60 models from a friend of mine down in Florida at that time. He was dealing directly with one of the well known distributors at the time. But it's been so long I can't remember which dealers or distributors that handled that one. I don't think there were very many units of the Sprint Run G-10 Ayoob 2011 run. Because at this point in time it's virtually impossible to even find a used one.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

confucius wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:58 pm
New member. Very interested in this sprint run. Will the date/vendor be announced here? Thanks.
You won't regret it. In all the years I've talked to several Spyderco fans I've only spoke to one person that claimed he didn't like it. However most of the models he liked had much wider blades and that might have been a big reason for his dislike of the model.

But virtually everyone else loved the original 2002 run and the 2011 Sprint Run. I look for this upcoming run of the C-60 Ayoob model to be the very best of them all. You won't regret it!!

But if you do get one and for some strange reason you don't like it I can assure you that plenty of people would be anxious to trade you for it or just outright buy it from you.