C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:31 am
Hi JD,

Looks looks we're moving forward on the Sprint. The maker will modify the tooling to accept a 4 way hourglass clip. G-10 scales to be made on the US. We need to come up with a ratio of plain edge to serrated edge. Maybe a poll?

I really don't want to make a pouch for it. Defeats the purpose of the clip, which was designed to eliminate the pouch. Maybe some aftermarket folks can make one for those that are interested?

sal
Well Mr. Glesser just off the top of my head>> and considering this model was liked by many in the original SE version from 2002>> and considering the current rising popularity of serrated edges>> my wild estimate would be 70% PE and 30% SE.

I truly believe that 30% of the Spyderedged units will be a safe bet and that you won't have to sell any of them at a sidewalk sale. And I realize that even though the SE models are currently rising in popularity that you are going to sell considerably more PE units that SE units. But heck I would also love to see how a "POLL" among my Brethren would pan out.

This is fabulous news and needless to say I can't wait till I get my hands on a PE & SE both out of this new Sprint Run. The both of them will immediately hit my user rotation. Hopefullly my shoulder will be fully rehabbed by the time this Sprint Run hits the market. Again Mr. Glesser you made a lot of guys here happy as well as many others over at Bladeforums who also liked that C-60 Ayoob model over the years.

But for the rest of you guys watching this thread please continue to voice your opinions and suggestions for this upcoming C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run. You never know what else might considered.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Monty wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:25 pm
Put me down for two serrated! With the lack of serrated Sprints I haven't had to chase much and deal with the craziness therein, I hope these are made in great enough numbers they can be purchased without paying the secondhand scalper prices.
"Monty" I can assure you that once you test drive this C-60 Ayoob model in SE you will absolutely love it. This model is just as awesome in PE as it is in SE.

I just suggested on a post that they make 70% in PE and 30% in SE. I do believe with the rising interest and popularity of Spyderedged units the company should be able to move that many SE models with not much marketing effort. I want this Sprint Run to be really good for the company as well as being a great Sprint Run for all the guys and gals here at Spyderville. And I can't thank all of you enough for all the great participation and suggestions you all made on this thread. All you guys and gals really did a lot to make this Sprint Run possible :cool: .

And I hope that this Sprint Run is so successful that we will ultimately see more runs of this model in the future>> it wouldn't even surprise me to see this model back in the main line up again at some point. But we'll see how it all works out. Let's face it we've got a hoard of new Spyderco fans and afis who have never had the privilege of using one of these C-60 models>> they are in for a treat!! I look for this Sprint Run to disappear rather quickly myself. And I bet the dealers are salivating already :cool:

OK troops let's give Spyderco and Mr. Glesser all the support we can muster :)
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I am guessing that since it was not mentioned that it will remain pinned construction (which doesn't dampen my enthusiasm for the model).
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

sal wrote:
Hi JD,

Looks looks we're moving forward on the Sprint. The maker will modify the tooling to accept a 4 way hourglass clip. G-10 scales to be made on the US. We need to come up with a ratio of plain edge to serrated edge. Maybe a poll?

I really don't want to make a pouch for it. Defeats the purpose of the clip, which was designed to eliminate the pouch. Maybe some aftermarket folks can make one for those that are interested?

sal
Wonderful seeing updates. Happy to see the inclusion of a standard 4 way clip. Really expands the market for em. I’ll second the 70% pe 30% se number as well.

And I know vg-10 has pretty much been decided on. But I’m still holding out for lc200n. Would make it a must buy for me.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:29 pm
sal wrote:
Hi JD,

sal
Wonderful seeing updates. Happy to see the inclusion of a standard 4 way clip. Really expands the market for em. I’ll second the 70% pe 30% se number as well.

And I know vg-10 has pretty much been decided on. But I’m still holding out for lc200n. Would make it a must buy for me.
I do seriously believe that if this Sprint Run sells out fast ( like I believe it will) we might just see more C-60 models either back in the main line up>> or they might even elect to make a "Sale Series" edition of the C-60 as well.

I just hope that everyone supports Mr. Glesser and Spyderco on this project. But right now I have a really good feeling about this. Yeah maybe we should ask him about the "Pinned" versus the "Screw" construction.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Has there been any hint of the verdict regarding the steel?
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
vivi

Post by vivi »

Excited about the four way clip. I'm still committed to buying a SE.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:05 pm
Has there been any hint of the verdict regarding the steel?
Pretty sure it's going to be a VG-10 model. However I'm holding out hope that if this one goes over good we might get lucky at some point and get one with a different steel>> or maybe see a Salt Series in this model.

But for now I'm 99% sure it will be a VG-10 model
James Y

Post by James Y »

I would get a SE version.

It would be very interesting if there were ever a Salt version. Because isn’t the C-60 made by Moki? AFAIK, all the Seki Salts are made by G. Sakai. I don’t think any Salt model has ever been made by Moki. It would be a first.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

If it was burgundy I would buy at least one of each SE/PE. Any other color G10 I will just get a SE.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JD, you are going to need to start up a poll in another post in order to get better numbers.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
V-1.5 aka V-1

Post by V-1.5 aka V-1 »

I love this design. I've carried a SE aluminum handle version for years and years. It's been a great EDC. I have a PE G-10 handle version that is NIB. I much prefer SE then PE in this design.

I'm in for a SE G-10 handle version. Best of both worlds. VG-10 is fine. Look forward to carrying and using it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think this is the best thread to happen all year, probably at least since the Jazz Delica thread. I like to bookmark threads like this so when people say Spyderco don't listen I can show them they do. This is a knife that had not just one chance but also a second chance (sprint) so it has been on the market more than most, so from a business perspective the only reason to run a model for a third time is if the demand is there, and they wouldn't have known it was without listening to their customers. Knives like this feel more special to me because they don't NEED to happen, and when Sal and Mr. Ayoob both give it their blessings I think it should show people how special this model is, otherwise it probably wouldn't be getting a third run.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:04 pm
I think this is the best thread to happen all year, probably at least since the Jazz Delica thread. I like to bookmark threads like this so when people say Spyderco don't listen I can show them they do. This is a knife that had not just one chance but also a second chance (sprint) so it has been on the market more than most, so from a business perspective the only reason to run a model for a third time is if the demand is there, and they wouldn't have known it was without listening to their customers. Knives like this feel more special to me because they don't NEED to happen, and when Sal and Mr. Ayoob both give it their blessings I think it should show people how special this model is, otherwise it probably wouldn't be getting a third run.
Very well Said DAVID :) And even though I mostly agree with everything you stated you all still must consider the marketing environment when both previous runs of the C-60 were launched. Back in 2002 when I got my very first Ayoob model I do believe that this design was truly ahead of it's time. I had so many people at that time asking me to explain the design to them. Even though two major knife magazines did awesome previews on it. Because after it was discontinued the first time is ironically when it's popularity started going up significantly and it got very hard to find one.

Then in 2011 when they did the G-10 handled Sprint Run for whatever reason they chose not to do any of the units in the run in full Spyderedge>> the problem with that is this knife has a huge fan base in SE ever since it's inception. Some people only liked the SE variant. I liked both the SE & PE in this model and I think more people will when they test drive one for the first time.

With this newest Sprint Run on it's way we have a lot more input and fresh information for people to base their decision on. I believe that this Third Sprint Run may end up doing justice for this C-60 Ayoob model for the first time ever. There have been so many Spyderco fans ( new and old) that have been pursuing this model for their collections for some time now. Albeit it's a different time now and a totally different marketing environment. And at this juncture we know a lot more about the C-60 design and it's intended purposes than we ever did during the first two times it was made available. I predict this Sprint Run of the C-60 will be a hot selling success.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, whatever the ratio of SE to PE ends up being, I'm buying two initially and if the SE doesn't sell out after a while I'm gonna start buying one a month until they do.
~David
Monty

Post by Monty »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:14 pm
Monty wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:25 pm
Put me down for two serrated! With the lack of serrated Sprints I haven't had to chase much and deal with the craziness therein, I hope these are made in great enough numbers they can be purchased without paying the secondhand scalper prices.
I do believe with the rising interest and popularity of Spyderedged units the company should be able to move that many SE models with not much marketing effort.
Sadly I'd say it's been the opposite trend. Used to be practically every model was offered in serrations or partial. Now we're looking at something like 20% of the catalog (just an offhand guess) and that's not including the dozens of sprint run PM2/3's etc.

This gives me one more knife to look forward to though. Fingers crossed for a serrated Siren in the future as well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was looking for some comparison pics with other knives and came across this thread. I distinctly remember when this was posted.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45380
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:36 pm
I was looking for some comparison pics with other knives and came across this thread. I distinctly remember when this was posted.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45380
I've wondered where "Mark Greenman" has been lately? Him and I used to talk some on the side but I haven't seen him here in quite some time. I hope the Brother is OK and I do hope at some point he surfaces. I always try to remember him when his Birthday comes by. His posts are always to the point.

He really studied all of the ergonomic aspects of this C-60 Ayoob knife and is probably even a bigger fan of this blade than I am. Glad you found that thread. A lot can be learned from it.

I'm hoping all of this can re-ignite the C-60 Ayoob model to the point of having it back in the main line up again. Because if more people knew of the awesome design aspects of this model I do believe it would be very hard to keep it in stock.

And again it's just as great in SE as it is in PE. Not many models I can make that statement about.
vivi

Post by vivi »

the good news - I found a SE Ayoob for sale

the bad news - Its over $400
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:30 am
the good news - I found a SE Ayoob for sale

the bad news - Its over $400

And that is why, regardless of edge type, this sprint is going to sell out in a hurry even if the entire production run is SE.
~David