C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Sumdumguy »

No waves, thanks.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
PStone

Post by PStone »

sal wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:05 pm
We, and others, are looking at Ayoob sprints.

sal
Others, as in BHQ I hope I hope
M4/jade plus BHQ’s track record of sellouts. This would be amazing. And BHQ’s prices on the m4/jade series are always reasonable.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

PStone wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:51 pm
sal wrote:

sal
M4/jade plus BHQ’s track record of sellouts. This would be amazing. And BHQ’s prices on the m4/jade series are always reasonable.
M4 Jade would do it for me. But, they probably wouldn't do it in SE. They should, though! >:)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
PStone

Post by PStone »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:59 pm
PStone wrote:
sal wrote:

sal
M4 Jade would do it for me. But, they probably wouldn't do it in SE. They should, though! >:)
M4 is what would do it for me. If JD has his way it will be offered in both pe and se. I agree that it should be too.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

levs18 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:11 pm
This would be amazing, just please not s30v. Any other steel would be awesome. If I’m dreaming though, I think this model is screaming for a wave.
I would love to see a wave on this model.
--Jeremy
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Please just let there be one for me when they're released 😀. Sal, that would be awesome! I love how respondent you and your company is to the folks on this Forum!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PStone wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:05 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
PStone wrote:
sal wrote:

sal
M4 is what would do it for me. If JD has his way it will be offered in both pe and se. I agree that it should be too.
I would have no qualms with M-4 at all. However there are at least 12 other blade steels I think that could do justice to a Sprint Run of the C-60. I bet M-4 would also make a nice SE blade too.
I still like XHP for an SE version>> I could live with XHP for a PE version as well. If one specific blade steel would help make this happen then I won't gripe at all.

But my biggest desire is for it to be offered in SE & PE both. I don't care what color of a G-10 handle either.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

A fast rusting steel also misses the mark on what Mas designed this knife for, so let's avoid that please.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:37 am
A fast rusting steel also misses the mark on what Mas designed this knife for, so let's avoid that please.

While I love M4, it does seem kinda strange to put a non stainless in a self defense knife. Then again most of these knives won't be used for self defense, and I personally want it for strictly utility purposes so I get it but I also wouldn't care either way. I'd be just as happy if they went the total opposite direction and made it in H1.

I just very strongly prefer SE on this one, whatever the steel choice ends up being.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

SE is definitely my first pick. The type of steel not so much. What about H1?
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
PStone

Post by PStone »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:18 am
PStone wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:05 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
PStone wrote:

I would have no qualms with M-4 at all. However there are at least 12 other blade steels I think that could do justice to a Sprint Run of the C-60. I bet M-4 would also make a nice SE blade too.
I still like XHP for an SE version>> I could live with XHP for a PE version as well. If one specific blade steel would help make this happen then I won't gripe at all.

But my biggest desire is for it to be offered in SE & PE both. I don't care what color of a G-10 handle either.
Right on JD. I get it. I will support XHP, or any other steel you feel would fit this SE model the best. I just like M4 the most. I have more experience with it than other steels.

I also fully support the SE and PE idea, and feel it should extend to more models.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The fact that JD has been the Ayoob’s steadiest champion ought to result in an SE M390 blade.

I’d prefer LC200N, but I’d take it in M390, no slouch that. But, if Golden-made, maybe 204P or 20CV instead?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:21 am
The fact that JD has been the Ayoob’s steadiest champion ought to result in an SE M390 blade.

I’d prefer LC200N, but I’d take it in M390, no slouch that. But, if Golden-made, maybe 204P or 20CV instead?
I will not argue with any of the 3 you mentioned. Actually I like all 3 and have had good results using those 3. I will say however that I do think of the 3 you selected I would go with LC200N for the serrated/Spyderedged version.

The M390 and 204P have proven to been tested and proven to be great in plain edge. Just seeing Sal chime in again made my day and that should be a huge encouragement for all of us :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
I didn't realize that M-4 had a reputation for speedy corrosion :confused: I will admit that my exposure and usage of M-4 has been very limited. I've owned two fixed blades with D-2 ( also a Non-Stainless tool steel) that frequently gets the same complaint. I've never had problems keeping D-2 and most other tool steels in check for corrosion exposure.

Yeah I realize that M-4 by it's composition does not fall under the definition of a "stainless". But again I've not had bad luck using tool steel blades over the years. All you need is some Sentry Solutions, Marine Grade "Tuf Cloth" and you won't have a corrosion problem.

Admittedly M-4 wouldn't be one of my top choices but it wouldn't be a "deal changer" for me either.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It will be made in Japan as Spyderco does not move designs to other countries. They like to preserve their long-term relationships with makers. So easiest is VG-10, with H1 a distant second. Why second? Because it would be expensive to re-engineer it to be a Salt, and most people would expect an H1 knife to be fully rust resistance. However, H1 would be an excellent choice in SE while keeping it inline with the design intent.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:40 pm
JRinFL wrote:
I didn't realize that M-4 had a reputation for speedy corrosion :confused: I will admit that my exposure and usage of M-4 has been very limited. I've owned two fixed blades with D-2 ( also a Non-Stainless tool steel) that frequently gets the same complaint. I've never had problems keeping D-2 and most other tool steels in check for corrosion exposure.

Yeah I realize that M-4 by it's composition does not fall under the definition of a "stainless". But again I've not had bad luck using tool steel blades over the years. All you need is some Sentry Solutions, Marine Grade "Tuf Cloth" and you won't have a corrosion problem.

Admittedly M-4 wouldn't be one of my top choices but it wouldn't be a "deal changer" for me either.
M4 is the only blade that has pitted on me during daily carry. Not even my GEC traditionals have done that. I still like M4, but not for this knife.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:45 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:40 pm
JRinFL wrote:

M4 is the only blade that has pitted on me during daily carry. Not even my GEC traditionals have done that. I still like M4, but not for this knife.
That's interesting JR :) Now I see you are in the great state of Florida. I've spent some time down there in a couple of areas myself. I find that most places in Florida have very harsh and corrosive environments>> I'm sure that Spyderco will take all of that under consideration>> because we got a lot of guys and gals that are from the Southern part of the USA.

I've actually had a couple of occasions when ZDP-189 pitted on me really bad>> but again both times I was in very corrosive environments>> also both times it was food acids that were the culprit. When using a tool steel or even any high carbon steel I'm willing to bet that most corrosion can be prevented by using the "Marine Grade "Tuf-Cloth" made by Sentry Solutions. But even with that being said I still understand your concerns. I'm now hoping that LC200N might be the steel they use on the Spyderedged versions if we are fortunated enough to get PE & SE Units both.

I ultimately hope whatever blade steels they use will do well for all of us who buy and use a Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob. We're getting more people wanting a Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob than I originally thought we would. Don't stop the thread yet folks :) And all suggestions on blade steels and handle materials are much appreciated ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:42 pm
It will be made in Japan as Spyderco does not move designs to other countries. They like to preserve their long-term relationships with makers. So easiest is VG-10, with H1 a distant second. Why second? Because it would be expensive to re-engineer it to be a Salt, and most people would expect an H1 knife to be fully rust resistance. However, H1 would be an excellent choice in SE while keeping it inline with the design intent.

Yep, this is why VG10 makes it the simplest, but also potentially not the fastest selling option. I don't see H1 happening for the reasons you mentioned...even though I'd be totally ok with the rest of the knife NOT being full blown Salt, I'm pretty sure this subject has been spoke of before and as you said people would expect the knife to he full on Salt capable with H1.

I'm not crazy about DLC much anymore, but that's at least one way to differentiate another sprint, and this knife would look super BA in all black. Maybe this is a case for DLC/M4?

I'm open to practically any steel, but again I really need it to be SE. I know it's been said plenty of times, just making sure those who might be reading it are getting the message :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Man, I shouldn’t take so much time off from this place! I literally flew through 9 pages looking for “did Sal respond?” And then BOOM. I want a SE and would gladly take VG10. As a matter of fact, with the time I spent away from here working- VG10 is a great steel. It’s ability to Resharpen easily makes it straight baller and it’s history with SE is only second to H1. Here’s my opinion no one asked for- make it easy on Sal and do it in VG10. Let’s let the handle be the debatable item. VG10 and G10 and just sweat the color. Again, I have been so satisfied with my VG10 Spyders in real work. SE for me and thanks to JD for being borderline OCD, I honestly didn’t think we would get here and you all should thank him
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

twinboysdad wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:57 pm
Man, I shouldn’t take so much time off from this place! I literally flew through 9 pages looking for “did Sal respond?” And then BOOM. I want a SE and would gladly take VG10. As a matter of fact, with the time I spent away from here working- VG10 is a great steel. It’s ability to Resharpen easily makes it straight baller and it’s history with SE is only second to H1. Here’s my opinion no one asked for- make it easy on Sal and do it in VG10. Let’s let the handle be the debatable item. VG10 and G10 and just sweat the color. Again, I have been so satisfied with my VG10 Spyders in real work. SE for me and thanks to JD for being borderline OCD, I honestly didn’t think we would get here and you all should thank him
how about dlc with purple g10? :cool:
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C