C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Evil D »

I still find some models to be somewhat ugly, but there is beauty in performance and that's what I look at the most. Some models that I think are widely popular and regarded as being good looking knives have things that I don't like about them and those are what I see as ugly. I never found the thumb hole to be ugly, in the beginning it reminded me of old bayonets and I thought that was pretty cool.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:51 pm
I still find some models to be somewhat ugly, but there is beauty in performance and that's what I look at the most. Some models that I think are widely popular and regarded as being good looking knives have things that I don't like about them and those are what I see as ugly. I never found the thumb hole to be ugly, in the beginning it reminded me of old bayonets and I thought that was pretty cool.
I remember reading in a major knife magazine a few years back that Jess Horn who designed a few of Spyderco's models had said that the Spyder-Hole was "ugly". Actually I think it was just something new and misunderstood at the time. I think a lot of Mr. Glesser's innovations were highly misunderstood until people used them and discovered that many of these newer features had functional aspects to them.

I never really ever thought of Spyderco's unique features as being "ugly" at all>> And after I understood what the purpose of some design aspects were they didn't bother me at all. It can be argued that most of Spyderco's "sheepsfoot" and Hawkbill blades are construed by many as being ugly>> I had more than one person tell me that my MARINER model was "ugly". But once you own and use one you quickly find out that isn't really the case at all. I think that "misunderstood" is a better description than the word "ugly". At least that's the way I see it.

I still think that the features of the C-60 Ayoob model were just simply ahead of their time and simply misunderstood. You simply have to own and use a C-60 Ayoob model to see the brilliance of the design.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Another aspect to consider to bring back the C-60 Ayoob is that it's such a great SD model that some of the newer SpyderHeads would have an opportunity to check out the C-60 that have never had the opportunity to previously. I was even thinking how awesome a larger scale version of the C-60 would be like for SD.

Also as good as the C-60 Ayoob is in Spyderedge it would make many people who presently don't like serrated edges take a second look>> because the C-60 cuts like a monster in SE.

I wish I knew how to get ahold of Massad Ayoob himself. I kind of wish he would even do another blade design.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mr. Ayoob posts on several firearms related sites and does respond to posts, from what I have seen.

Edited to add relevant link: https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/look ... s.1838756/
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Ok JD, I'm on board for an SE and possibly PE.
Now, onto the good parts since Sal wants details.

Would we want the blade hollow ground or FF similar to the update the JD Smith model received with it's OD sprint. As for steels, I really would be fine with anything, though I do love the higher end steels.
One final point I would like to discuss is blade stock. Couldn't we keep this one to under 2.5mm?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Let's really just keep this one simple and make it like the last sprint, but in a different color so as to not duplicate the previous sprint. Let's also avoid Unicorn steels and too thin blades that defeat one of the major design points that Mas put in to his design for a reason. If you want a utility knife, there are literally thousands of other designs you can buy right now.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:04 am
Let's really just keep this one simple and make it like the last sprint, but in a different color so as to not duplicate the previous sprint. Let's also avoid Unicorn steels and too thin blades that defeat one of the major design points that Mas put in to his design for a reason. If you want a utility knife, there are literally thousands of other designs you can buy right now.

Ohhhh no, it's gotta be adamantium damascus 1.975mm thick high hollow grind with convex serrated edge with pterodactyl bone scales and liquid mercury bolsters....and I'm absolutely not going to compromise on those bolsters I don't care how it works I want literally liquid mercury bolsters make it happen.

This is the problem every time a request happens, too many people asking for unrealistic or expensive options. Sure it would be great, but in the end I think people need to compromise if it means getting the knife into production.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
benben

Post by benben »

JRinFL wrote:
This right here!!!
I'm still liking my "Back the Blue" specific Blue color in G-10 idea! And I'm pretty cool with just about any blade steel, except S30V :D

Edit: If it doesn't have Pterodactyl Bone inlays in my "Back the Blue" Blue scales.......I'm out!! ;)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I think everything should be the same, but since we have to change something, so the same knife doesnt get reproduced, then handle color seems easiest. I would even be fine if they just changed the clip color.

At this point I would strongly prefer the same knife design, from Japan, in the same old boring vg10 steel. Im fine with either edge option, it would be nice to have a choice of both. I would prefer se, but I am fine with either.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
benben

Post by benben »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:04 am
I think everything should be the same, but since we have to change something, so the same knife doesnt get reproduced, then handle color seems easiest. I would even be fine if they just changed the clip color.

At this point I would strongly prefer the same knife design, from Japan, in the same old boring vg10 steel. Im fine with either edge option, it would be nice to have a choice of both. I would prefer se, but I am fine with either.
And there you have it folks, the voice of reason! This post works for me!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

benben wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:15 am
VooDooChild wrote:

SE, Purple G10, VG-10.

SOLD!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
benben

Post by benben »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:23 pm
benben wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

SE, Purple G10, VG-10.

SOLD!
No problem, I'm in!

Wait............FFG SE or HHG SE?? Please say High Hollow Grind!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

benben wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:26 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:23 pm
benben wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

SE, Purple G10, VG-10.

SOLD!
No problem, I'm in!

Wait............FFG SE or HHG SE?? Please say High Hollow Grind!
High hollow, as the original was.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JRinFL wrote:
I was not trying to add complexity to the concept, just offering parameters to the chat for contemplation and discussion. Sal could literally turn out an exact copy in a different color and I would be very pleased. Keeping the price point reasonable was another factor in my line of questioning.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree.
VooDooChild wrote:

Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Danke

Post by Danke »

If it's a sprint run it's got to be a near perfect copy of the original. You can come up with a new take on blade steel or handle slabs but you can't go over the top.

If it's new model then all bets are off. I always thought the Ayoob would benefit from the compression or the ball lock so it was a bit faster to open than the back lock. But that makes things really complicated.
sal

Post by sal »

We, and others, are looking at Ayoob sprints.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:05 pm
We, and others, are looking at Ayoob sprints.

sal
Others? As in other than Spyderco?
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
levs18

Post by levs18 »

This would be amazing, just please not s30v. Any other steel would be awesome. If I’m dreaming though, I think this model is screaming for a wave.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

levs18 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:11 pm
This would be amazing, just please not s30v. Any other steel would be awesome. If I’m dreaming though, I think this model is screaming for a wave.
i think this was a tip down only model.

edited to add: s30v is a fine steel. although, i keep saying self defense blades should be rust proof (salts in h1 or lc200n) so you can wear them iwb without care or worry. ;)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C