C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:13 pm
That video introduced me to the Ayoob. That pocket worn knife is a thing of beauty!
I just recently pulled up an older YT video on the C-60 Ayoob. I can't remember whose channel it was off the top of my head but it was an interesting review on it.

I also remember many really good articles in just about all the knife publications in 2002 when it was released. Again I'm surprised that sales disappointed Mr. Ayoob himself :( >> ????

If we are fortunate enough to get another run of these let's make sure that doesn't happen again :cool: I don't think it will this go-around.
JMM

Post by JMM »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:29 pm
bearrowland wrote:
That video introduced me to the Ayoob. That pocket worn knife is a thing of beauty!
I just recently pulled up an older YT video on the C-60 Ayoob. I can't remember whose channel it was off the top of my head but it was an interesting review on it.

I also remember many really good articles in just about all the knife publications in 2002 when it was released. Again I'm surprised that sales disappointed Mr. Ayoob himself :( >> ????

If we are fortunate enough to get another run of these let's make sure that doesn't happen again :cool: I don't think it will this go-around.
[+1]

I absolutely agree, for both the Ayoob & the Ulize, if we're fortunate to get either or both brought back I will buy any and every variant made of each, any steel, PE or SE, any scale material, I am in 100%! :D

Cheers,

John
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JMM wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:20 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:29 pm
bearrowland wrote:

[+1]

I absolutely agree, for both the Ayoob & the Ulize, if we're fortunate to get either or both brought back I will buy any and every variant made of each, any steel, PE or SE, any scale material, I am in 100%! :D

Cheers,

John
I can only agree with everything you said. I would just add that any re-makes or Sprint Runs should be enhanced with better blade steel and at least as good of a handle as the previous G-10 Sprint Run of 2011. Because that G-10 handle on that Sprint Run was a vast improvement on a knife that was already ranked as "awesome".

I know this isn't a ULIZE thread but it is kind of ironic that both models took about the same course when they got discontinued. People didn't fully appreciate either one until they got discontinued. But that can also be said about a dozen or more other models I can think of.

It would be ideal if they could do some type of a "Pass Around" to serious people who are considering as to whether or not they would want one of the C-60 models. Or at least make a "Pass Around" for dealers if nothing else.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I could kick myself because I was well of age in the 80s and beyond and missed all of these cool knives. I had no idea...
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:41 pm
I could kick myself because I was well of age in the 80s and beyond and missed all of these cool knives. I had no idea...
And you're for sure not the only one who missed out on models like the C-60 during that era. Which is one big reason I also want to see this great model return.

And there are so many people who have joined the Forum in the past 3 to 5 years that have never gotten to experience these super-classics.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'm hoping Sal is following along with this thread 😏
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:22 am
I'm hoping Sal is following along with this thread 😏
I've got a gut feeling that they are watching this thread very closely. I just hope at some point they take it serious ;)

Believe it or not they don't ignore what we say here. I could provide many examples. So let's just keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I absolutely believe it. This is the only Forum I've ever belonged to that the owner and the company both participate actively.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
benben

Post by benben »

JD, I assume “when” :D this knife makes it’s return......it’ll probably still be made in Japan? Which if so is fine with me. And I honestly would be fine with serrated VG10, but I definitely wouldn’t turn down a higher grade steel!

Here’s an idea, to honor Mr. Ayoob’s lifelong police work and background, as well as every law enforcement officer in our great Country, how about a BLUE LIVES MATTER themed color scheme??

That dark blue and black somehow incorporated into some G-10 scales? I know Spyderco has designers who can come up with something wayyy better than I can think up! Just an idea to show some appreciation to our officers amongst the lunacy we’re all watching play out in front of us everyday!

And I know I said it still being made in Japan is fine with me, but I’d really love to see this masterpiece made in Golden!

Just a thought!
benben
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:44 am
JD, I assume “when” :D this knife makes it’s return......it’ll probably still be made in Japan? Which if so is fine with me. And I honestly would be fine with serrated VG10, but I definitely wouldn’t turn down a higher grade steel!

Here’s an idea, to honor Mr. Ayoob’s lifelong police work and background, as well as every law enforcement officer in our great Country, how about a BLUE LIVES MATTER themed color scheme??

That dark blue and black somehow incorporated into some G-10 scales? I know Spyderco has designers who can come up with something wayyy better than I can think up! Just an idea to show some appreciation to our officers amongst the lunacy we’re all watching play out in front of us everyday!

And I know I said it still being made in Japan is fine with me, but I’d really love to see this masterpiece made in Golden!

Just a thought!
benben
I can totally agree with everything you said. I would have no problem with Spyderco putting any type of slogan on the knife that they would see fit to use.

Golden, CO USA Earth would be my first choice anytime. But I've never had a Japan made Spyder I didn't like. I've always been impressed with the Japan made units.

I'm still completely open to anyone's suggestions to bring back this super-classic. It's one that even Spyderco could be proud of. To me it's not only one of my personal favorites it's also one of their quintesscential, flagship looking models as well IMO.
benben

Post by benben »

Question.....how is S35VN in serrated? I have two PE S35V knives and I like them both a lot, just curious how it is in SE? Maybe a good option for the new Ayoob??
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

SSSsssoooo, if I pitch your request, give me more specifics on what you'd like?

You are probably one of the original "trouble makers", I guess Paul is in that group as well.

sal
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😁😁😁
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Sal, all I ask is to reserve one for me!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

And I was just wondering if Sal would lean in. Make it good, JD.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Browncoat

Post by Browncoat »

Quick JD!
Now is our chance!

My vote is for g10 handles ( any color), no slogans, and of course SE and PE blades. Country of manufacturing and blade steel I wont be picky about.
Golden, CO and Lc200n would be nice though.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:40 pm
Hi JD,

SSSsssoooo, if I pitch your request, give me more specifics on what you'd like?

You are probably one of the original "trouble makers", I guess Paul is in that group as well.

sal
Oh Mr. Glesser I hope I'm not being troublesome :D But again when I did that one thread on 3 classic models you would like to see returned the C-60 Ayoob was on over half of the responses.

And of course it being one of my all time favorites I was compelled to start this thread in hopes that we might get to see another Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob model.

Personally I would love a G-10 handle and any blade steel other than VG-10 ( for plain edge). Because the last two renditions of the C-60 had VG-10. However I wouldn't mind if a Spyderedged edition had VG-10 if that would make things easier. But a plain edge in something like Hap40 or whatever might be available would be great IMO. Or if you have to do them all in one blade steel that's cool.

The last Sprint Run with the G-10 handle was a vast improvement and I'm good with that. And I think most every one would be too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Browncoat wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:19 am
Quick JD!
Now is our chance!

My vote is for g10 handles ( any color), no slogans, and of course SE and PE blades. Country of manufacturing and blade steel I wont be picky about.
Golden, CO and Lc200n would be nice though.
I would be A-OK with LC200N in both edge types if that would expediate the process. And a G-10 handle is more than cool with me. GOLDEN, CO or Japan either one would be all right as well.

OK folks we need to let Mr. Glesser know what we all want and need in a new C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run. We've got Mr. Glesser's attention so let's not drop the ball at this point.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:07 am
And I was just wondering if Sal would lean in. Make it good, JD.
I've done everything except for hiring a public relations firm :rolleyes: :D >> We just need to put our cards on the table and let the man ( Mr. Glesser) know what we all would like the best. And don't let this thread die anytime soon either.

So far it looks like LC200N is in the lead along with a nice G-10 handle. I'll let you guys elaborate.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I would be absolutely all in on lc200n and g10. lets goooooooooo
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v