C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mini2white

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Mini2white »

I love the C60 and if it is built to respect the original I am in. So steel and handle materials should reflect its original designs and purpose.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I believe that Mas actually said on Glocktalk that he preferred the G-10 handles to the original handle.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cambertree wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:50 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:41 am
Oh sure thing :) First off the slender, elongated design makes for very versatile work in tight places. Second the hollow grind actually makes kind of ideal for an outdoor/skinning type knife. I even sold one to a guy I was working with back in 2012 and he wanted a hunter-folder at the time. I tried to find him an Impala model that he wanted but couldn't find one. He has field dressed a few deer and took it fishing with him on occasions and he really loves it. And he has no desire to use it as a self defense knife I can assure you. Well he's been using his C-60 as a hunter folder and as a general work knife for years and he loves it. I could also give you my personal testimony of times I've used that model on various jobs but I really don't even know where to start because there are so many jobs I used mine on over the years.

The ergonomic design just makes it far easier to work with over many standard designs. Recently I did some meat cutting with one of mine and the control I had using that knife was excellent. I could go on and on but I think you kind of get the drift don't you ;)
Thanks for the excellent detail, JD. :)

That’s very interesting, I had no idea the Ayoob would function so well as a game and fish and general work knife.

Hearing about this versatility, makes the Atoob sound even more intriguing to me.
Hey I've got another attribute of that knife I forgot to tell you. A good knife trading buddy that used to be on this forum who was from up in the "Finger Lakes" area of Upstate New York and he was a big Ayoob fan. He told me that the C-60 Ayoob was the best "fish fillet" knife he ever used. He told me that he always took his C-60 fishing with him.

When you look at the blade geometry and blade design I can see how it would fillet and clean a fish nicely. Another guy that used to be here told me he wanted a Salt Version of the Ayoob for that very reason. He also said he liked the Ayoob as a fillet knife as well.

That knife is not limited to being only a self defense blade. Now it is good for that I won't argue that for one second. But it's good for a lot more I can assure you. The only reason I'm not EDCing one of my AYOOB models is that I just like M390 blade steel a lot better than I do VG-10. And that is the bottom line.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That never occurred to me...that blade is probably more universal than anyone can possibly imagine.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
benben

Post by benben »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:24 pm
I believe that Mas actually said on Glocktalk that he preferred the G-10 handles to the original handle.
Yep, he said the sprint had G-10 which he had asked for originally.
Browncoat

Post by Browncoat »

"It and the Ulize are also the best sandwich cutters in the folding world. Truly an underrated feature! :D"

Perfect! Now I can convince my wife it's for the kitchen!

Seriously though, as long as the Ayoob came in SE, I wouldn't have a qualm with vg-10. My first choice would probably be the LC200N(but I don't know if that is possible), though k390 sounds nice.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:53 pm
Hey I've got another attribute of that knife I forgot to tell you. A good knife trading buddy that used to be on this forum who was from up in the "Finger Lakes" area of Upstate New York and he was a big Ayoob fan. He told me that the C-60 Ayoob was the best "fish fillet" knife he ever used. He told me that he always took his C-60 fishing with him.

When you look at the blade geometry and blade design I can see how it would fillet and clean a fish nicely. Another guy that used to be here told me he wanted a Salt Version of the Ayoob for that very reason. He also said he liked the Ayoob as a fillet knife as well.

That knife is not limited to being only a self defense blade. Now it is good for that I won't argue that for one second. But it's good for a lot more I can assure you. The only reason I'm not EDCing one of my AYOOB models is that I just like M390 blade steel a lot better than I do VG-10. And that is the bottom line.
Thanks again, JD - that’s another very interesting testimonial for the varied uses this knife can be put to. :)

Also, considering this knife is a Seki model, maybe SRS-13 or Supergold might be an option? BBB has compared SRS15/13 to a stainless Cruwear, and although SG2/Supergold isn’t exactly the same, it has similarities to M390.
Sumdumguy wrote: It and the Ulize are also the best sandwich cutters in the folding world. Truly an underrated feature! :D
Ha ha, yeah that’s definitely an important and underrated feature! :D :cool:
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Exactly what I was thinking!
Browncoat wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:36 pm
"It and the Ulize are also the best sandwich cutters in the folding world. Truly an underrated feature! :D"

Perfect! Now I can convince my wife it's for the kitchen!

Seriously though, as long as the Ayoob came in SE, I wouldn't have a qualm with vg-10. My first choice would probably be the LC200N(but I don't know if that is possible), though k390 sounds nice.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

All this talk about a new Ayoob has me drooling! I'd be happy to see this in VG10 if that will help get it out the door faster. Plus tbh I love VG10. It's not fancy but it gets the job done and is a pleasure to sharpen. So yes please to a sprint Ayoob!
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I'm sorry, this isn't a knife I would buy or carry...
/ David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

samdasnake wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:41 am
All this talk about a new Ayoob has me drooling! I'd be happy to see this in VG10 if that will help get it out the door faster. Plus tbh I love VG10. It's not fancy but it gets the job done and is a pleasure to sharpen. So yes please to a sprint Ayoob!
And it should have any devout Spyderhead looking forward with anticipation.

Also it would give many new forum members and many new Spyderco enthusiasts a taste of the "good Ol' days" i.e. The Golden Era Of Spyders 1998-2004 era.

Again I would not object to VG-10 if they use it on a Spyderedged version of the C-60
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

someone mentioned using it while fishing, lc200n anyone...?
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'm game! I anticipate this knife being a user, and sailing to Europe is on my bucket list after I retire.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:40 am
I can swear to you all I'm not making that up. It was back around 2005 I think it was and the guy was here on the Forum but has since moved on. And he lived up around the Finger Lakes area of New York State and he fished a lot. He told me that one day he had about a dozen fish in his basket and he said that the Ayoob really did an excellent job of filleting and cleaning those fish.

And I fully believed him too. I believe it was a plain edged model that he told me he used. It's been a few years but he was really surprised at how well it worked for that job. When you look at the design it has a narrow design similar to many fillet knives. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to use if I had it handy.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd be down in s30v steel and screwed construction. I like a good seki lockback, and i'm impressed with seki's s30v heat treat.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That blade shape looks like it would do the job on fish with no issues at all.
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:20 pm
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:40 am
I can swear to you all I'm not making that up. It was back around 2005 I think it was and the guy was here on the Forum but has since moved on. And he lived up around the Finger Lakes area of New York State and he fished a lot. He told me that one day he had about a dozen fish in his basket and he said that the Ayoob really did an excellent job of filleting and cleaning those fish.

And I fully believed him too. I believe it was a plain edged model that he told me he used. It's been a few years but he was really surprised at how well it worked for that job. When you look at the design it has a narrow design similar to many fillet knives. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to use if I had it handy.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Danke

Post by Danke »

Hope this comes to be!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Me too!!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

An SE Ayoob is number one on my hit list. Would definitely buy one maybe two. The PE I'd have to think about it first.

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jezabel wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:08 pm
An SE Ayoob is number one on my hit list. Would definitely buy one maybe two. The PE I'd have to think about it first.

J
Isn't this amazing how many people want this model to return in SE?? That would not have been the case as recent as probably 3 years ago. The blades with teeth are growing in demand and are actually being used more.

Maybe Evil D's challenge of a couple of years back had more momentum than we realize. Irrespective of what spurred on this growing demand for SE blades the proof is right in front of us.

I do hope the decision makers at GOLDEN, CO USA Earth are noticing this as well.