C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JRinFL »

Teeth are gaining momentum with Afis, but not with the general public. So, I can see more Sprints in SE, but the same declining trend among non-Afis.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

With certain exceptions, I'll take SE every time. I like it's aggressive cut, and longer times between sharpening.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:52 am
Teeth are gaining momentum with Afis, but not with the general public. So, I can see more Sprints in SE, but the same declining trend among non-Afis.
I'm not so sure it's a declining trend among the general public or just moderate users of different blades concerning the increase or decrease of using serrated blades. I think it boils down to two issues.

The first issue is that most of the public have only ever used some type of Rip-Mart or flea market el-cheapo type of serrated blades and have never ever used a premium quality serrated blade>> I know I encounter that scenario almost on a daily basis.

Also the general public are just not cognizant of the overall trends in the professional knife market/sector. I still encounter at least 4 or sometimes as many as 6 people in a week's time who have never heard of Spyderco or any other premium knife companies for that matter. In other words most people are just flat out not aware of top notch, serrated cutlery.

I'm sure there might be other issues but most people fall into those two categories I'm pretty sure.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:

I'm not so sure about that, especially concerning combo edges at least. My buddy is sort of my "non knife AFI but still uses a knife a lot" guinea pig, and his perspective as a legit everyday user who's not caught up in steel hype and has absolutely zero influence is really interesting. He couldn't tell you one steel from another, he knows what he likes but he wouldn't know a Para 2 from a gas station knife, the complete lack of hype influence is really a valuable resource because he'll tell you want actually works. He's been carrying and using a SE Salt 2 for about 2 years now and just recently asked me if it comes in combo edge because sometimes "he just needs to scrape stuff". He has raved about serrations, how they cut through anything. I think the biggest problem with the general knife using public is their fear of how to sharpen them, which is further exaggerated by people constantly talking about how hard or impossible it is to sharpen them. A little education goes a long way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:32 pm
JRinFL wrote:

I'm not so sure about that, especially concerning combo edges at least. My buddy is sort of my "non knife AFI but still uses a knife a lot" guinea pig, and his perspective as a legit everyday user who's not caught up in steel hype and has absolutely zero influence is really interesting. He couldn't tell you one steel from another, he knows what he likes but he wouldn't know a Para 2 from a gas station knife, the complete lack of hype influence is really a valuable resource because he'll tell you want actually works. He's been carrying and using a SE Salt 2 for about 2 years now and just recently asked me if it comes in combo edge because sometimes "he just needs to scrape stuff". He has raved about serrations, how they cut through anything. I think the biggest problem with the general knife using public is their fear of how to sharpen them, which is further exaggerated by people constantly talking about how hard or impossible it is to sharpen them. A little education goes a long way.
I caught your video clip carving with your Caribbean SE. I have to admit that was an eye opener for me. For some reason I would have been hesistant to carve wood with a serrated edge, (wrongly) assuming it wouldn’t hold up.

So anyway...thanks I guess. Lol That’ll probably cost me another knife. Made me want one. I do like a good lock back with neutral ergos and a good sized blade.

Sign me up for an Ayoob SE as well. :spyder:
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mb1 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:39 pm

I caught your video clip carving with your Caribbean SE. I have to admit that was an eye opener for me. For some reason I would have been hesistant to carve wood with a serrated edge, (wrongly) assuming it wouldn’t hold up.

So anyway...thanks I guess. Lol That’ll probably cost me another knife. Made me want one. I do like a good lock back with neutral ergos and a good sized blade.

Sign me up for an Ayoob SE as well. :spyder:

It's not like I'd deliberately choose SE for carving or bushcraft, that was really just to prove that SE can indeed slice and carve if the need arose. I was honestly just as surprised as anyone else, it carved far easier than I expected because I figured the presentation/grind side of the serrations would have an issue slicing but it bit in way better than I expected. I did play around with carving left handed to see the difference in how the back side of the blade carves and it was even better. More than anything else it's tests like this that I need to do to feel confident in carrying SE religiously live I've been doing. If I'm gonna preach to people about how well they perform, I've gotta cut more stuff than phone book paper to back it up and if I'm gonna carry it everyday I have to know I can depend on it even to do things I may not choose SE to do.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:56 am
With certain exceptions, I'll take SE every time. I like it's aggressive cut, and longer times between sharpening.
Good points for why the C-60 in SE if we were to get Spyderco to take us seriously for a Sprint Run of this great past model. The C-60 is one of the very few Spyderco models with teeth that had a convex cutting edge. And believe me it is advantageous on several cutting jobs.

Serrations going longer between sharpenings is a given. But that belly ( convex) blade design has lots of advantages.
Especially for meat cutting and penetration.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:32 pm
JRinFL wrote:

It's quite simple, Spyderco makes what sells and they have been making fewer and fewer models with serrations over the last decade. People overwhelming prefer non-serrated edges and I believe Sal has said so himself a few years back. Even when looking for "Golden Age" Spyderco knives like the Caly Jr and Jess Horn I have been able to easily find SE versions that are not selling, despite their lower price.
I am not arguing against serrations, just pointing out the realities.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:02 am

Yeah it isn't so much an argument thing as much as it's a customer base thing. I don't think the people who buy gas station combo edges are the same people who spend 10x as much money for a Spyderco. Sal's sales don't necessarily reflect the entire knife buying world. I'm betting if he could afford to sell a combo edge Tenacious at a gas station for $10-20 they'd sell millions of them.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:42 am
JRinFL wrote:

Yeah it isn't so much an argument thing as much as it's a customer base thing. I don't think the people who buy gas station combo edges are the same people who spend 10x as much money for a Spyderco. Sal's sales don't necessarily reflect the entire knife buying world. I'm betting if he could afford to sell a combo edge Tenacious at a gas station for $10-20 they'd sell millions of them.
Those are all good points and well taken. However I targeted this thread at Spyderco enthusiasts that already like the higher end knives that Spyderco has produced over the years.

Not sure really what took the air out of the sales of the first C-60 Ayoob model but I do kind of believe it was ahead of it's time. Lately in the past 3 to 5 years I've run into far more C-60 Ayoob fans than I ever did when I first joined the Forum all the way back to 2004 and earlier.

I also think that the C-60 Ayoob model might also have been a victim of several Spyderco models that were selling really good at the time and possibly the C-60 Ayoob may have been looked over for whatever reason. Because the SE & PE versions are sure well loved now.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:55 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:42 am
JRinFL wrote:

Those are all good points and well taken. However I targeted this thread at Spyderco enthusiasts that already like the higher end knives that Spyderco has produced over the years.

Not sure really what took the air out of the sales of the first C-60 Ayoob model but I do kind of believe it was ahead of it's time. Lately in the past 3 to 5 years I've run into far more C-60 Ayoob fans than I ever did when I first joined the Forum all the way back to 2004 and earlier.

I also think that the C-60 Ayoob model might also have been a victim of several Spyderco models that were selling really good at the time and possibly the C-60 Ayoob may have been looked over for whatever reason. Because the SE & PE versions are sure well loved now.

I think there's at least enough interest in this to warrant a sprint. Personally I'd probably buy two so I'm doing my part :p
~David
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Just leave one for me David! 😁
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

I'd buy one, heck even an FRN with S30V or VG-10 would be awesome.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JohnAPA wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:43 pm
I'd buy one, heck even an FRN with S30V or VG-10 would be awesome.
OH please no!! I've got to have it in at least a G-10 handle with a folder of this caliber. FRN is good on Salt Series folders but this C-60 model is one of the classy collaborations and should be kept high quality IMO.

And I wouldn't mind it being in S90V but not S30V. IN SE I would even go with VG-10.
Danke

Post by Danke »

I've got the G-10 sprint and like it lot. I don't carry it a lot because I lost one clip screw. It's replaced but it's not a size used anymore so it took some work for the folks in Golden to mill down and re-install new ones.

I wouldn't object to serrations.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Seeing Joyce's personal Ayoob really made me want one. Such a cool design.

https://youtu.be/FXzsA25aBC4
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:43 pm

Joyce knows what's up even with the SE! I love how worn her knife is, that's a real thing of beauty.
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

SE, LC200N, G10 and I'm in!

(Heck, I'd be in even if it was black G10 w/ SE VG-10)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That video introduced me to the Ayoob. That pocket worn knife is a thing of beauty!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:43 pm

Yeah Joyce has liked that Ayoob model a lot. She's even responded on a couple of my C-60 Ayoob threads in the past. It would be interesting to know if any other employees also liked the C-60 or even carried one.

And YES!!! to all of you who also want to see the return of the C-60 Ayoob in SE & PE both. We are gaining momentum and I do hope that the Great Spyder Factory is watching this thread with interest. They know that the C-60 has a following I'm sure of it.