Interest in Hawkbill Caribbean?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SaltSerious

Interest in Hawkbill Caribbean?

Post by SaltSerious »

I believe that the Caribbean is highly underrated. I have the PE sheepsfoot and love it. Would be thrilled to see a hawkbill blade shape in the Caribbean frame with FFG and SE. That would be a agricultural tool for the ages. Not to mention all the maritime applications. Now if only I was rich and could make that happen.
Mushroom

Re: Interest in Hawkbill Caribbean?

Post by Mushroom »

I think it could be a good alternative to bringing back the Superhawk. Also, given that its a Salt Series knife I think a hawkbill would be an appropriate blade style for the Caribbean.
-Nick :bug-red
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I was kind of going for the same thing, I hope it happens!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85295&p=1375593#p1375593
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:06 am
I think it could be a good alternative to bringing back the Superhawk. Also, given that its a Salt Series knife I think a hawkbill would be an appropriate blade style for the Caribbean.
Having a Spyderhawk Salt, I was about to say we really don't need a Hawkbill Caribbean. But now that you mention the Superhawk (I treasure my Superleaf), I can see a Hawkbill Caribbean as an upgrade to this discontinued classic, especially if people want PE. I do wonder, however, if the cost of producing the quite sophisticated Caribbean will prove too much.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I think this is an excellent idea! Other salt models have leaf/wharnie/hawkbill variations. Why not give the Caribbean a hawkbill, too? I would definitely be interested in a SE version. I might like to see this even more than another sprint of the spyderhawk (although either would be most welcome).
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd enjoy a compression lock hawkbill!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

I have no doubt in my mind that Spyderco would be able to tweak the handle to accommodate the hawkbill shaped blade. In all actuality might be able to get that last quarter inch or so that's remaining in current models of blade to handle ratio. Almost a full 4 inches of FFG SE LC200N in hawkbill format.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

AMEN!! Slam Dunk!!! This Caribbean model in a modified Hawkbill version should have already been done a long time ago. That would be an excellent model to make a modified Hawkbill version of. But it has to be available in SE for me to fully embrace it. I've been wanting a high end Hawkbill for so long and this could be the ticket.

Also if they would do a Hawkbill of this caliber I think it would change the minds of many people on the sidelines who just are not sure about Hawkbill models. I had one guy recently told me he would buy a Spyderhawk in a heartbeat if they made one with a G-10 handle. And he wasn't the only person I've encountered with that request in the past 5 years or so.

Absolutely!!! Let's Get it On!!! ASAP!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yes. I'll probably buy any blade shape in a Caribbean handle, especially a hawkbill. SE of course ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:03 pm
Yes. I'll probably buy any blade shape in a Caribbean handle, especially a hawkbill. SE of course ;)
I've not yet owned or used one of these Caribbean models. But just to look at it blows me away. It's built like a Abram's Tank and with the right locking system this bad boy in the Hawkbill blade could totally change most people's view of Hawkbill designs completely.

We haven't yet gotten a really high end Hawkbill as of yet with the possible exception of the Superhawk during it's extremely brief tenure. But we never got to try it in SE. A Hawkbill without teeth is just severely handicapped any way you look at it.
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

I used the sprint run orange handled Spyderhawk in SE of course nearly everyday until I got it pick pocketed during the first round of lockdowns at a local Costco. Once experiencing the cutting ease and usefulness of a hawkbill blade in full SE my other knives were seeing alot less pocket time as a result. I can see where it's a hard sale and especially as someone's first knife. We need to stimulate interest within the knife community to give the curved blade a chance. As a result handle materials, steel choices and lock types will follow.
JMM

Post by JMM »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:09 pm
Evil D wrote:
I've not yet owned or used one of these Caribbean models. But just to look at it blows me away. It's built like a Abram's Tank and with the right locking system this bad boy in the Hawkbill blade could totally change most people's view of Hawkbill designs completely.

We haven't yet gotten a really high end Hawkbill as of yet with the possible exception of the Superhawk during it's extremely brief tenure. But we never got to try it in SE. A Hawkbill without teeth is just severely handicapped any way you look at it.
I've got my eye on a CF SuperHawk and I'm trying to decide if I should pull the trigger, and if I do so, what are your thoughts on having serrations added? I know of a couple shops that will add them to PE blades, I've been contemplating putting them on a FFG S30V Manix2, a Ulize, and if I get it, the SuperHawk.... Thoughts? :D

TIA!

John
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JMM wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:03 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:09 pm
Evil D wrote:

I've got my eye on a CF SuperHawk and I'm trying to decide if I should pull the trigger, and if I do so, what are your thoughts on having serrations added? I know of a couple shops that will add them to PE blades, I've been contemplating putting them on a FFG S30V Manix2, a Ulize, and if I get it, the SuperHawk.... Thoughts? :D

TIA!

John
JMM you bring up what I've wondered about for some time. Which is a real mystery to me. With the sales of the Harpy over the years then with the Merlin, TASMAN & Spyderhawk you would look at the sales charts and without any doubt the ones highest on the sales charts are the serrated models. Because Hawkbill blades and serrations go together like "ham & eggs".

There are at least 6 good models ( not only Hawkbills either) that over the years I've just said to myself if these models had been offered in SE they would have sold many, many more units>> I'm certain of it. Why on earth the SUPERHAWK was never made available in SE is also one of those mysteries. I would jump on a Spyderedged SUPERHAWK immediately even if I had to go pick up empty pop & beer cans to pull it off. That particular model was well built and ready for action. I would hope that a possible Sprint Run would be in SE. Yeah Brother I don't get it either???? :confused: