Salt 2 LW Awesomeness

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
Red
Member
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:53 am

Salt 2 LW Awesomeness

Postby Red » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:08 am

I am a boat mechanic in a saltwater environment and I put my edc knives through alot. Over the last few years, I have completely gravitated to Spyderco’s mainly for the blade shapes and durability. I started carrying the Salt 2 LW for work and I absolutely love it. Its a worker for sure. It makes quick jobs of plastic/rubber hose removal off brass or pvc fittings. The blade shape is a perfect combo of a robust tip that still slices well. If anyone is on the fence about getting one of these, don’t be. They are a strong, corrosion resistant, little work horse. 👍
6DC5B1D8-1AD6-401F-B4A6-6AD794294697.jpeg

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5888
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Salt 2 LW Awesomeness

Postby Wartstein » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:20 am

Red wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:08 am
I am a boat mechanic in a saltwater environment and I put my edc knives through alot. Over the last few years, I have completely gravitated to Spyderco’s mainly for the blade shapes and durability. I started carrying the Salt 2 LW for work and I absolutely love it. Its a worker for sure. It makes quick jobs of plastic/rubber hose removal off brass or pvc fittings. The blade shape is a perfect combo of a robust tip that still slices well. If anyone is on the fence about getting one of these, don’t be. They are a strong, corrosion resistant, little work horse. 👍
6DC5B1D8-1AD6-401F-B4A6-6AD794294697.jpeg

Nice!
Did you ever try the serrated version of the Salt (or the Pac Salt)?
Many seem to even prefer these knives in Spyderedge (concerning cutting performance but even more so edge retention as I understand it).
I´d really be interested in your opinion on this, since you obviously put real work on the knife.
(I myself absolutely love my Pac Salt SE, but can´t speak for PE in H1. Never tried...)
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Red
Member
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:53 am

Re: Salt 2 LW Awesomeness

Postby Red » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:25 am

I have not tried the serrated version yet but that is definitely next on my list, maybe a wharncliffe style with the serrated edge would be even better!!

User avatar
Red
Member
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:53 am

Re: Salt 2 LW Awesomeness

Postby Red » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:34 am

Just found one for $91....😬

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5888
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Postby Wartstein » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:47 am

Red wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:34 am
Just found one for $91....😬
Get one! :)

H1 in SE is amazing. Don´t take it from me (I am really not a steel- or sharpening expert, but still found it to be amazing too), but Sal said something along the lines once that nothing they tested is better in edge holding than H1 in SE (everyone: Please correct me if I recall that wrong!).
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Red
Member
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:53 am

Re: Salt 2 LW Awesomeness

Postby Red » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:00 am

Thats the coolest thing about it. I thrash it at work and a few swipes on the steel or the ceramic rods and she is good to go!

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5888
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Salt 2 LW Awesomeness

Postby Wartstein » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:19 am

Red wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:00 am
Thats the coolest thing about it. I thrash it at work and a few swipes on the steel or the ceramic rods and she is good to go!

Yes, that´s cool for sure... ;)

But as far as I know H1 in SE is even another kind of cool in that it stays sharp a lot longer than in PE ...
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Red
Member
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:53 am

Re: Salt 2 LW Awesomeness

Postby Red » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:21 am

Ahhh, very cool. Will look into that. Thanks for the heads up, learning alot here. Very cool place.

User avatar
tonijedi
Member
Posts: 782
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:08 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Salt 2 LW Awesomeness

Postby tonijedi » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:30 am

Red wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:00 am
Thats the coolest thing about it. I thrash it at work and a few swipes on the steel or the ceramic rods and she is good to go!
That's true!

Today I'm carrying a PE H1 Dragonfly but many days I carry a SE Salt 2.
Love these knives.

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 2638
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: Salt 2 LW Awesomeness

Postby JuPaul » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:40 am

Red wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:34 am
Just found one for $91....😬
I second Wartstein's advice: get one! SE H1 is truly incredible stuff, especially on a knife you want to use hard.

A PE dragonfly salt was one of my early spydercos, and I used it to learn how to use a Sharpmaker. H1 is so easy to sharpen, it was perfect for that. It was also my first RIT dye project since I didn't have to take it apart to dye it. Awesome little knife.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
Red
Member
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:53 am

Re: Salt 2 LW Awesomeness

Postby Red » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:09 pm

tonijedi wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:30 am
Red wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:00 am
Thats the coolest thing about it. I thrash it at work and a few swipes on the steel or the ceramic rods and she is good to go!
That's true!

Today I'm carrying a PE H1 Dragonfly but many days I carry a SE Salt 2.
Love these knives.
For the price point, its by far my favorite.my Native 5 LW is close but the salt has more of a tip for a hard work knife.

User avatar
Red
Member
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:53 am

Re: Salt 2 LW Awesomeness

Postby Red » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:10 pm

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:40 am
Red wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:34 am
Just found one for $91....😬
I second Wartstein's advice: get one! SE H1 is truly incredible stuff, especially on a knife you want to use hard.

A PE dragonfly salt was one of my early spydercos, and I used it to learn how to use a Sharpmaker. H1 is so easy to sharpen, it was perfect for that. It was also my first RIT dye project since I didn't have to take it apart to dye it. Awesome little knife.
Definitely will, when looking I don't see a spec for SE or PE? What am I missing?

User avatar
Red
Member
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:53 am

Re: Salt 2 LW Awesomeness

Postby Red » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:12 pm

Ahhhh, just got it
PE is plain edge
SE is Spyderedge

👍

User avatar
Red
Member
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:53 am

Re: Salt 2 LW Awesomeness

Postby Red » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:13 pm

A Salt Wharncliffe SE is definitely the next purchase. Thank you guys for all the help/suggestions.

User avatar
Red
Member
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:53 am

Re: Salt 2 LW Awesomeness

Postby Red » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:38 pm

Just ordered a Salt 2 Wharncliffe SE CY88WCYL2, will be here Wednesday.

😀

James Y
Member
Posts: 1868
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Southern CA

Re: Salt 2 LW Awesomeness

Postby James Y » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:44 pm

Red wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:38 pm
Just ordered a Salt 2 Wharncliffe SE CY88WCYL2, will be here Wednesday.

😀
I have one, and it’s a great knife. The tip isn’t as robust like the regular Salt 2, but the SE Wharncliffe makes a great cutter.

Jim

User avatar
Red
Member
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:53 am

Re: Salt 2 LW Awesomeness

Postby Red » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:09 pm

James Y wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:44 pm
Red wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:38 pm
Just ordered a Salt 2 Wharncliffe SE CY88WCYL2, will be here Wednesday.

😀
I have one, and it’s a great knife. The tip isn’t as robust like the regular Salt 2, but the SE Wharncliffe makes a great cutter.

Jim
Very cool, thanks. I do love the beefier tip on the one I have now. Its so light and easy to carry may just carry them both!

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5888
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Salt 2 LW Awesomeness

Postby Wartstein » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:25 pm

Red wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:38 pm
Just ordered a Salt 2 Wharncliffe SE CY88WCYL2, will be here Wednesday.

😀

Said it before: I really like your enthusiasm! ;)
And I am sure YOU will like H1 in SE...
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Red
Member
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:53 am

Re: Salt 2 LW Awesomeness

Postby Red » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:38 pm

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:25 pm
Red wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:38 pm
Just ordered a Salt 2 Wharncliffe SE CY88WCYL2, will be here Wednesday.

😀

Said it before: I really like your enthusiasm! ;)
And I am sure YOU will like H1 in SE...
Ha, thanks buddy. I will take a few photos and post them when it comes in. Very appreciative of the SE suggestion. I will have to learn how to sharpen it now.

ladybug93
Member
Posts: 1470
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:20 pm

Re: Salt 2 LW Awesomeness

Postby ladybug93 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:13 pm

there is a lot of praise on this forum for h1 in se, and for good reason. i carry my pacific salt se every day and it is a really great knife. as you noted, the salt series are some of the best workhorses in the lineup. something about a maintenance free, tough blade just begs to be used. just wait until you experience the teeth though. it's another level. i usually have my pac salt in my waistband, but for the last week and a half or so, it's been riding in my pocket as my main (and only) knife. serrations, especially spyderco's spyderedge, are so great for cutting when you really need to cut. enjoy your new salts! :)


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cabfrank, Mattysc42, mtb2104, rheology1, Ric, skeeg11, SLOSpyder, tonijedi and 35 guests