Sage 5 Lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Sage 5 Lightweight

Post by gull wing »

What are the chances of another blade steel for the Sage 5 LW?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Sharp Guy

Re: Sage 5 Lightweight

Post by Sharp Guy »

At one point Sal said the nice thing about doing the Sage 5 LW is it opens things up for the possibility of doing dealer exclusives with other steels and different handle colors. That's why I've been holding off from buying the regular production model.

FWIW, a friend recently sent me his Sage 5 LW to check out. It was really good! The action was dialed in perfectly
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
fixall

Post by fixall »

I've been very hopeful for this since the Sage LW came out. S30V is pretty great to be fair though.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

There was a fairly recent poll for a Sage 5 LW in another blade steel; responses were strongly favorable. I think it is only a matter of time...

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

If the sage 5 lw comes out in a color I like (with or without s30v), I will buy one.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
sal

Post by sal »

HI CG,

I'd like to take a look at that poll if you know where it is.

The Sage Lt Wt was a it of an experiment and a deviation from the project because we felt that the design wss worthy and would be accepted even in an FRN construction, especially at a lower cost. If we find that it is well received over time, I see no reason why not to offer other steels, like SPY27 in Cobalt blue, as well as other popular steels.

sal
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I absolutely love my Sage 5 LW. While the black S30V is great, I’d buy a nice color/steel variant in a heartbeat. It would be awesome to see it in Spy27!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:47 pm
HI CG,

The Sage Lt Wt was a it of an experiment and a deviation from the project because we felt that the design wss worthy and would be accepted even in an FRN construction, especially at a lower cost. If we find that it is well received over time, I see no reason why not to offer other steels, like SPY27 in Cobalt blue, as well as other popular steels.

sal

I am not CG, but I can remember THIS https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=86475 poll started by him.

Though it is not about WHAT other steel people would like to see, but just who´d want the Sage 5 LW come in a "premium" steel generally.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I was really hoping for a big brother to the Chaparral LW, gray FRN with xhp
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

abbazaba wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:53 pm
Well, I´d be totally fine with your proposal if it still would be a Sage 5 (just with another steel)...:)

The real "big brother" of the Chaparral (Chap XL) though imho should keep the defining Chap specs: Uniquely thin bladestock and overall shape, and the amazing ("stop pin") backlock...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

abbazaba wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:53 pm
This ^ Honestly this is how I wish it came originally. Also Cobalt blue and Spy27 please! I wouldn't hesitate to get either one of these
Justin :spyder:
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Good news!
Sage LW in CTS XHP would be right on.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

gull wing wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:47 pm
Good news!
I really like XHP, but even in my very limited experience it seems to be really close to S30V (current Sage 5 LW) in most of its properties (edge retention, "sharpenability")... maybe an additionally iteration of this knife should feature a more "differently behaving" steel?

Just a thought though, if I get a Sage LW I'll be perfectly happy with the S30V myself anyway.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:59 pm
gull wing wrote:
Good news!
I really like XHP, but even in my very limited experience it seems to be really close to S30V (current Sage 5 LW) in most of its properties (edge retention, "sharpenability")... maybe an additionally iteration of this knife should feature a more "differently behaving" steel?

Just a thought though, if I get a Sage LW I'll be perfectly happy with the S30V myself anyway.
This is pretty much what I was thinking. I already have the Chap LW. I'd really like to see something different with the Sage 5 LW. I'm just not sure what that would be
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Wartstein wrote:
gull wing wrote:
Good news!

My Sage LW has been great in s30v. While I always appreciate new steel offerings there is definitely nothing wrong with the Sage 5 LW as is. And I agree about a Chap XL - it would need to keep the back lock and blade geometry to be a real big bro.
fixall

Post by fixall »

Wartstein wrote:
gull wing wrote:
Good news!

Agreed. CTS-XHP just doesn’t quite cut it for me when the standard version is using S30V. I think the thinish blade stock would be marvelous with a with a really high edge retention steel, even if that means losing some toughness. It would make for a nice and slicey knife that can cut for days. I’d really like to see something like S90V or 10v, but I’d be pretty satisfied with 204p/m390. Maybe even something like M4 or 4V if people want some toughness to go with the edge retention. I definitely wouldn’t say no to something exotic like Vanax either. The world needs more Vanax (and I need more practice deburring it, lol)!
Last edited by fixall on Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

To clarify, I was hoping the first release was gray/XHP to match the FRN Chap (and would still buy it).

If I'm wishlisting Taichung steels, M4 or 4V would be my preference. Not sure I truly care about color, but DLC would be great (has there been a coated Taichung blade?).
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:11 pm
sal wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:47 pm
HI CG,

sal

I am not CG, but I can remember THIS https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=86475 poll started by him.

Though it is not about WHAT other steel people would like to see, but just who´d want the Sage 5 LW come in a "premium" steel generally.
Nice recall Wartstein!!! Thanks!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Wartstein wrote:
gull wing wrote:
Good news!

I don't have the same feeling you do in the S30V. I find XHP to be easier to sharpen, easier to get that "just right" edge, I like it much more. S30V holds a working edge longer, but that is not my priority.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

gull wing wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:44 pm
Wartstein wrote:
gull wing wrote:
Good news!

I don't have the same feeling you do in the S30V. I find XHP to be easier to sharpen, easier to get that "just right" edge, I like it much more. S30V holds a working edge longer, but that is not my priority.

Then you must just have more and more detailled experience when it comes to steel than I do :) (which would be no wonder, since I don´t have a lot)
Though I sometimes said already that XHP feels like a "slightly better S30V" to me, this is at best just a total subjective, unprooven feeling. I guess in reality, in a blind test I most likely could not tell them apart concerning edge retention and "sharpenability".