Knife monogamy is a satisfying yet boring life

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JohnDoe99

Re: Knife monogamy is a satisfying yet boring life

Post by JohnDoe99 »

Ever tried the Native?
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Knife monogamy is a myth. Even before I knew any better, very many years ago, I wasn't satisfied with just one. And I've learned that knife people are some of the most fickle out there, every bit as fickle as watch collectors. Before the package arrives in the mailbox they are looking for the next thing to trade for.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

D: Just put it down to wisdom and experience, and be happy!

My knife harem (I’m really stretching the metaphor here!) ranges from toothless old hard users all the way to out-and-out showpieces, but they all have to ‘sing out’ to me nowadays for some reason to stay.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:29 pm
Ever tried the Native?

I am not David ;), but I did try the Native (in PE at the time, nowadays I´d certainly go for the FRN version in full SE):
For me the Native is a cool design, but has not enough cutting edge for a main EDC in my use (noticeable less than even a Delica or Para 3).
It also is in the exact size where I do not like a choil (I DO like choils on even smaller or clearly larger folders). A Native in the exact same handle and blade length without a choil (so without the handle part and the blade part of the choil) would offer a good four finger grip on the handle (it´s long enough overall) plus a longer cutting edge. As it is, I have to choke up on the choil with my L to XL hands to get a good grip plus only have a rather short actual edge.
But of course that´s just me. If one is fine with the amount of edge the Native offers (and admittedly it is enough for a majority of tasks) this model is a great choice. I sold mine purely because the Chap FRN for me did even a bit better what the Native FRN does.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
Ever tried the Native?

Actually my first Spyderco was a Native, and I also have a Maxamet Native 5. I really love the design for what it is, but these days I really prefer something bigger and without a 50/50 choil. As far as knives of this size range go, the Native 5 is probably my favorite, although I don't have a Chaparral and I think I'd like it even more.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:08 am
JohnDoe99 wrote:
Ever tried the Native?

Actually my first Spyderco was a Native, and I also have a Maxamet Native 5. I really love the design for what it is, but these days I really prefer something bigger and without a 50/50 choil. As far as knives of this size range go, the Native 5 is probably my favorite, although I don't have a Chaparral and I think I'd like it even more.
I couldn't think of a better model for a rookie or novice to start out on that would be better than the NATIVE model. And I love the NATIVE in both SE & PE. There is something about those GOLDEN, CO made models that I've always had an affinity for.

If I were to take David's challenge of using only a serrated folder the NATIVE might be the model I would select for a variety of reasons. But with the cutting chores I've got most of the time it's just so handy to have both edge types available.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I always try to use different knives because I like them, that's why I bought them, but I end up using my SE Endela 5-6 days a week. During weekends I may change during the day depending on activity.
/ David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sonorum wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:59 pm
I always try to use different knives because I like them, that's why I bought them, but I end up using my SE Endela 5-6 days a week. During weekends I may change during the day depending on activity.

My problem is even though I'm far from new at this, my tastes are really evolving over the last few years for whatever reason. I have a whole collection of knives that I really liked at one time, and a couple that were even "the perfect knife" at that time but as my tastes change I've ended up with knives I used to love that really don't do it for me anymore.

Just think about how weird that really is. None of this is intention, ya know? I'm not just changing my mind on a whim, it's a slow thought process where I'm really looking at my uses and evaluating things far deeper than I used to and just dialing in what I like the most. I guess it's the same as opening your closet and seeing a bunch of your old clothes from years ago and wondering how you ever liked that style.
~David
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

My SE Caribbean is the first new folding knife I’ve bought for myself in several years. Not needing to wear dressy clothes due to pandemic constraints, it’s all I’ve carried since it came. Although I own SE in two Ladybugs, a gen 1 Pacific Salt, and an Endura 4, this is really the first time I’ve really embraced the SE lifestyle. And I’m loving it! FFG SE is a revelation in performance. Sharpened edge right back to the handle with a decent guard on the handle is what I have long wanted. The Delica, Manix, and PM2 will eventually get pocket time again, but I’m still exploring the new knife exclusively.

I carried a Victorinox Spartan exclusively for several decades before my Spyderco journey began in 2007. I now prefer the Tinker because I want a #2 Phillips driver more often than I want a corkscrew, but lately I only have the Caribbean and the Vic Classic on my keychain.

I like being skilled in one tool, so I’m taking the time to learn the Caribbean exclusively so its use becomes second nature.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:27 pm
Sonorum wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:59 pm

My problem is even though I'm far from new at this, my tastes are really evolving over the last few years for whatever reason. I have a whole collection of knives that I really liked at one time, and a couple that were even "the perfect knife" at that time but as my tastes change I've ended up with knives I used to love that really don't do it for me anymore.

Just think about how weird that really is. None of this is intention, ya know? I'm not just changing my mind on a whim, it's a slow thought process where I'm really looking at my uses and evaluating things far deeper than I used to and just dialing in what I like the most. I guess it's the same as opening your closet and seeing a bunch of your old clothes from years ago and wondering how you ever liked that style.
I hear you. It's been an evolution of carrying mostly one knife for a long time, reflecting on my needs and uses, and learning about knives. I sort of went from crap knives to a Dragonfly, then wanted something bigger, then something bigger, then different blade shapes, stumbling across serrations. Now the SE Endela is accompanied by a wharncliffe Dragonfly. First loves never you know...
/ David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:48 pm

I like being skilled in one tool, so I’m taking the time to learn the Caribbean exclusively so its use becomes second nature.

Muscle memory is so important to me. There are models I've carried so much I'll always feel comfortable with them (Military) but a lot of why I stick with one knife for long periods is because I like the familiarity.
~David
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Due to circumstances, I am selling off most of my knives, so maybe a monogamy of sorts will educate me a tad? :)