Current Blade Steel on Spyderco Cat? spec sheet vs etch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knarfeng

Current Blade Steel on Spyderco Cat? spec sheet vs etch

Post by knarfeng »

Howdy,
I don't come by here often, but I have a Spyderco question and I thought I might as well ask at the source.

I note that the spec sheet for the Cat says the blade steel is CTS BD1N. But when I look at the display pics in the various online stores as well as here on Spyderco.com, the etches on the knives say CTS BD1.
I recognize those as two different alloys. Carpenter has separate spec sheets for them.

Are those old stock photos that everyone seems to be showing, or is that just the way the knives with CTS BD1N blade steel are marked?

Also, I know that the CAT had 440C blade steel at one time.
Was there also a time when the Cat had CTS BD1 blade steel?

Sorry to be a bother, but as they say, "the devil's in the details".

Thanks,
Frank
VooDooChild

Re: Current Blade Steel on Spyderco Cat? spec sheet vs etch

Post by VooDooChild »

Should be old pictures. I see this sometimes with the manix 2 lightweight as well.

Someone who knows about the cat will probably come along with more info.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

the cat first came in 440v, then went to bd1 i had one and now the new steel is bd1n with old stock photos. i even see photos with 440v on them. i would just email them and ask.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Make sure you get a BD1N version.

I had a Manix LW in "just" BD1, and now have another one in BD1N. As far as I can tell edge retention is noticeable better in the latter.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

When studying the Spyderco steel chart, it shows me that BD1 consists of 6 elements and the BD1N has 8 different elements. It is also clear to see that all other elements in BD1N are all higher in volume. After checking the character of the additional elements it shows me that BD1N is clearly more corrosion proof to BD1.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:41 am
the cat first came in 440v, then went to bd1 i had one and now the new steel is bd1n with old stock photos. i even see photos with 440v on them. i would just email them and ask.
440c not 440v
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My 2 month old Cat came with BD1N steel. Many sellers do not update their pictures as they should.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SG89

Post by SG89 »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:41 am
Actually the first Cat was in s30v and carbon fiber scales but was quickly discontinued and then they went with 440c and g10
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
knarfeng

Post by knarfeng »

Thank you kindly, folks.
Frank R
Moneyman

Post by Moneyman »

Bento Box Shop has the carbon fiber/S30V Cat for $200.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

The current Cat and Chicago are, in fact, CTS BD1N. When knives are first released and dealers introduce them on their websites, they typically use product photos supplied by Spyderco. When we make an in-line change to a product--like changing blade steel--we update those photos and our copy, but sometimes the dealers are slow to follow suit. Unfortunately, that's beyond our control.

Sometimes, it's also possible that a dealer may have older stock of a particular model and is waiting to sell through that stock before updating their website. I wouldn't assume that, though. It's always best to check directly with the dealer to make sure before you buy.

Stay safe,

Mike
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I have Cats in S30V, 440C and BD1. Would be kinda fun to get a new one just to have them all, then on the other hand it's just the BD1 Cat i have in EDC rotation..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:12 am
The current Cat and Chicago are, in fact, CTS BD1N. When knives are first released and dealers introduce them on their websites, they typically use product photos supplied by Spyderco. When we make an in-line change to a product--like changing blade steel--we update those photos and our copy, but sometimes the dealers are slow to follow suit. Unfortunately, that's beyond our control.

Sometimes, it's also possible that a dealer may have older stock of a particular model and is waiting to sell through that stock before updating their website. I wouldn't assume that, though. It's always best to check directly with the dealer to make sure before you buy.

Stay safe,

Mike

Thanks for the clarification Mike. I've wondered and suspected this was the case, much like the discussion/thread we had a couple months ago about the two different serration patterns shown for the Wharnie SE Delicas (early prototype stock pic vs what was actually shipping). Just as you have suggested, I have found asking the seller before purchasing saves time, money, and frustration for everyone involved. ;)

Cheers,

John