Gentleman Jess(Baby Horn)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Gentleman Jess(Baby Horn)

Post by Sumdumguy »

I want to test the waters. Who here would be interested in a Gentleman Jess? This would be a low volume knife that is for those of us who want something especially fancy. Budget, should not be part of the discussion.

Here's what I'm picturing:
Baby Horn(clipless), SS bolster(front), inlay and a Vanax SC blade.

As for the inlay; I'm thinking contoured Charoite, or mammoth tooth.

I thought about Damasteel, however I think that would be better suited to a blade with more real estate. But, maybe with a tight enough pattern it could work. Also, I'd want it to be used on the lockbar as well.

I'll expand on this later, but I had surgery today and I'm not feeling 100%.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
fixall

Re: Gentleman Jess(Baby Horn)

Post by fixall »

I likely wouldn't be able to resist this one. I'm actually hoping the Spyderco custom shop (if it happens) ends up with options like this (metal handles and inlays with exotic materials and anodized hardware). Olamic is about the only company I know that does something like this and I think there is a LOT of room in the market for others. Especially with how knife collecting and customizing is really taking off lately.

I would prefer a titanium bolster over stainless steel as I really like how mammoth looks with matte titanium (not at all a deal breaker though), but other than that, I would purchase a Baby Horn exactly as you've described without thinking twice.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

fixall wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:17 pm
I likely wouldn't be able to resist this one. I'm actually hoping the Spyderco custom shop (if it happens) ends up with options like this (metal handles and inlays with exotic materials and anodized hardware). Olamic is about the only company I know that does something like this and I think there is a LOT of room in the market for others. Especially with how knife collecting and customizing is really taking off lately.

I would prefer a titanium bolster over stainless steel as I really like how mammoth looks with matte titanium (not at all a deal breaker though), but other than that, I would purchase a Baby Horn exactly as you've described without thinking twice.
I like Ti bolsters aswell. But, I don't care for them over steel liners/lockbars. It looks a bit off to me.

If it had a Damasteel blade and lockbar, we could do Ti liners and it would look nice.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
fixall

Post by fixall »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:31 pm
fixall wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:17 pm

I like Ti bolsters aswell. But, I don't care for them over steel liners/lockbars. It looks a bit off to me.

If it had a Damasteel blade and lockbar, we could do Ti liners and it would look nice.
Yea, I think if the bolster was titanium, the liners at the very least would have to also be titanium otherwise it would look a bit strange. I have less of an opinion about the lockbar being stainless. I have a Delica with titanium scales and a stainless lockbar and I think it looks pretty decent.

A Damasteel lockbar to match a Damasteel blade on ANY knife would an incredible touch. I'd love to see that on a Spyderco sometime. That would take some R&D to ensure it worked correctly though. I have a Damasteel bladed knife that has a matching Damasteel clip and I really think that helps take the knife to another level.

Last edited by fixall on Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I would be potentially in on this depending on what it looks like. Are nickel bolsters/liners a thing? I also like the mokume bolsters.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
fixall

Post by fixall »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:55 pm
...I also like the mokume bolsters.
Now you're talkin'!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

fixall wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:59 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:55 pm
...I also like the mokume bolsters.
Now you're talkin'!
I do love some Mokume!

-Thomas Jefferson
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I’d love a fancy Jess Horn, but wishes will have to meet materials Spyderco is willing to work with in whichever factory is chosen to produce it. Likely one in Japan like the originals and that may rule out Vanax, etc.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'd probably be in for one depending on what the final version looks like. This thread reminds me that I need to get my Baby Horn out of the gun safe and into my pocket more.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

How about nickel bolsters and jigged bone scales?
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

From memory, Moki made the Jess Horns. Until fairly recently they also used to make the Al Mar Osprey / Hawk / Falcon / Eagle series which is similar in design to the Jess Horns (Spydiehole being the biggest difference). The basics of what you want (bolsters, fancy handle material) is probably achievable given that, other than some of the material choices, they have done it before.

Sad thing is that sales are going to be the problem. This is going to be an expensive knife (materials and the cost of Japanese manufacture). There are still Baby Horn sprints available at some large on line retailers and Al Mars were perceived to be expensive for AUS8 blades despite the quality materials and skill in manufacturing the handle. It will take years rather than minutes to sell a run.

But seeing we are dreaming, add some filework and crown the spine and I’m in .... I still like the Japanese made knives most.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love the baby Jess horn design. I would be up Fira fancy version. I like the way Spyderco did inlays on the One eyed jack. Perhaps polished ivory G10 with inlays.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

PSquared wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:45 pm
From memory, Moki made the Jess Horns. Until fairly recently they also used to make the Al Mar Osprey / Hawk / Falcon / Eagle series which is similar in design to the Jess Horns (Spydiehole being the biggest difference). The basics of what you want (bolsters, fancy handle material) is probably achievable given that, other than some of the material choices, they have done it before.

Sad thing is that sales are going to be the problem. This is going to be an expensive knife (materials and the cost of Japanese manufacture). There are still Baby Horn sprints available at some large on line retailers and Al Mars were perceived to be expensive for AUS8 blades despite the quality materials and skill in manufacturing the handle. It will take years rather than minutes to sell a run.

But seeing we are dreaming, add some filework and crown the spine and I’m in .... I still like the Japanese made knives most.
Yes they were from Moki. I would actually want to treat this as a new model or flash batch. Moki used to be the best, but their quality has fallen off recently. I would move the tooling to Taichung or Golden, at the least. (I think a "Gentleman Jess" as a Flash Batch is the way to do it.)

I guarantee that a 600 piece run of a Gentleman Jess, in Vanax, with bolsters and inlay would sell out very quickly. If for no other reason than being the first Spyderco in Vanax.

I would agree about the crowned spine, but I'm on the fence about having file work with it.

-Thomas Jefferson
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sal is usually reticent to move tooling between makers. He's mentioned that several times, so again unlikely to happen.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:23 am
Sal is usually reticent to move tooling between makers. He's mentioned that several times, so again unlikely to happen.
Yes, which is why I said it would preferably be a flash batch or new model, the "Gentleman Jess". I'm not sure if Moki can produce the same level of quality that they used to.

-Thomas Jefferson
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:33 am
I guarantee .......
That’s fairly simple, deposit the cost of the R&D and cost to manufacture the run before any markups for Spyderco and the retailers into Spyderco’s account and the guarantee is in place. US$100k should do the trick ;)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I am onboard with this idea, but I also think it is important to keep it grounded in what "can be" vs what we want it to be. With the current model not selling out quickly, I'm guessing it will be awhile before Sal & crew are onboard with us.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:46 am
I am onboard with this idea, but I also think it is important to keep it grounded in what "can be" vs what we want it to be. With the current model not selling out quickly, I'm guessing it will be awhile before Sal & crew are onboard with us.
The main Problem that the Baby Horn faced, was lack of "wow" factor.

It was grey G-10, VG-10 and a fairly high price.

It brings to mind a "quote" that I can't remember the source(or exact phrasing). Something like this, "The options are Fast, Reliable and Cheap. You can only pick two."

The Baby Horn only chose reliable. It forgot about the fast or cheap.

Edit: I love the Baby Horn, I'm just speaking to the markets mentality.

-Thomas Jefferson
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Agreed, it lacked any wow factor. It's why I did not pick one up.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

I'm totally in for a "money is no object" baby horn, it's one of the few models in my collection that I love so much that I got a backup copy. However, I'm not sure the market is there for it - the sprint model is still available at some dealers 3 years after release, which blows my mind, but there it is.
~andrew