Gentleman Jess(Baby Horn)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nate

Re: Gentleman Jess(Baby Horn)

Post by Nate »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:51 am

The main Problem that the Baby Horn faced, was lack of "wow" factor...

Iirc, it was also hampered by early reports of the lock bar being too stiff and hard to disengage. Mine broke in beautifully. The Chaparral lw had similar complaints when it was released, but went on the be very popular. It seems the Baby Horn never really recovered. I'm sure the price plus vg-10 and being more of a niche pattern were also factors.

It's one of my favorite knives and I'm interested to see if anything comes of this thread. I'm not much of a "cost is no object" guy, but the right combo might get me.
:spyder:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Nate wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:52 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

Iirc, it was also hampered by early reports of the lock bar being too stiff and hard to disengage. Mine broke in beautifully. The Chaparral lw had similar complaints when it was released, but went on the be very popular. It seems the Baby Horn never really recovered. I'm sure the price plus vg-10 and being more of a niche pattern were also factors.

It's one of my favorite knives and I'm interested to see if anything comes of this thread. I'm not much of a "cost is no object" guy, but the right combo might get me.
The sad thing is, it's not that niche of a design. It's such a great knife. The embodiment of an LBK, it fits in a coin pocket and still has the an edge that's almost the same as a Delica(61mm vs 65mm).

As for price. I wouldn't want it to be a $500 knife, as that would hamper sales. But, I wouldn't have a problem around $350.

I think my ideal formula would be:

SS Bolsters(front only)

Vanax

Inlay(I'm digging Charoite and mammoth, but I'd love to hear some other thoughts)

Crowned Spine

Clipless

That would be plenty classy, more capable than it should be and hopefully <$350
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Nate

Post by Nate »

Personally would love to see the regular Jess Horn and Baby Horn done up something like this custom:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293615541182

And in a perfect world pay $350 for the pair. :D
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:54 am

The sad thing is, it's not that niche of a design. It's such a great knife...

Yeah, I agree. Meant more "niche" vs. stuff like the typical uber popular sprints and exclusives. Am surprised the Baby Horn never caught on and got bought up by other crowds considering the popularity of GEC and other traditionals.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Nate wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:32 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:54 am

The sad thing is, it's not that niche of a design. It's such a great knife...

Yeah, I agree. Meant more "niche" vs. stuff like the typical uber popular sprints and exclusives. Am surprised the Baby Horn never caught on and got bought up by other crowds considering the popularity of GEC and other traditionals.
I understand completely and agree.

That's always been my thoughts aswell. The Baby Horn is my perfect version of a "traditional" knife. Just add some swank to it and I'm set.

As to the customs, those are nice. Although, I personally prefer bone/stone on bolstered knives, rather than micarta.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I'm in if it has wow. Jess Horn was a wow knife and the Baby Horn lacked wow. It was a ... edc, I guess I will carry it.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

This thread needs some inspiration!

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've wanted one of those C-27 Jess Horn with the stag handle for years. But I mainly wanted on to throw in the footlocker where I keep most of my collector pieces.

The only Jess Horn model I ever had that I used hardly at all was the Burgundy handled unit put out about 2006 and it had a ZDP-189 blade. I didn't use it all that much and I was offered a trade just about double the value of the knife so it left my residence and now someone else uses it.

I will admit that those Jess Horn models had a lot of eye appeal. As far as I know that C-27 model was the only one Spyderco ever made with that Trapezoidal type opener.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Nate wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:52 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

There were a few QC problems, which is why I passed, as did others. Fit and finish were off and other things. I love the design. I may give it another look, though, since it has been long enough to have worked out the issues.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:42 pm
This thread needs some inspiration!

I'm inspired! You can send that beautiful knife to me to take care of. :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
fixall

Post by fixall »

That C27 is so, so beautiful!

One of these days I'm going to break down and just pull the trigger on one of those.