New Member from Austria

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: New Member from Austria

Post by Wartstein »

austrian_spyder_fan wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:47 pm
Good Morning,

and thank you All for your answers.
I´m very impressed of so many positive feedback.
Also it is a big honor for me, that the "boss" sal welcomes me too.

I try, to answer your questions chronological:

* I come from Upper Austria, "Mühlviertel" about 15 kilometers from Linz.
* Kangaroos are good climbers at all, the only need the right shoes called "Goiserer" :D
* For my office clothes larger knifes do not fit, so I love to have the roadie and now the dragonfly.
* In public perception bigger locking folders are felt as dangerous or combat knives, I also live near Germany and like to go to Passau buy some german Beer ;-), in the past I always carried a Leatherman with fixing blade which is not allowed in fact. Therefore I bought the UK Pen Knife (and also a Böker Plus XS OD, which is nice but heavy and not ideal).

So thank you for many tips, i will slow down and will habe a look at new modells.
A Para 2/3 or a strech are good proposals (thank you kennethsime).
Also I´m a big Dragonfly-Fan ofter just one week owning it, and i will look for more of them.

What I really want to buy is a EDC/Gentlemans knife whith wooden scales (original) but very hard to become in Austria.
Also a Knive whith just the most imortant tool of the world (bottle opener ;-) ) whould be amazing. I tried the Clipitool and it´s nice but to heavy and not very ergonomic in my opinion.

Is there a way to send costum design proposals/drafts to spyderco ?

I know what you´re talking about: I live very close to Germany too, and when I am in the mountains I actually do cross the border quite often without even noticing it... ;)

But I am sure that you know: While in Austria basically any knife is allowed, in Germany you can carry no knife legally when it can be both opened one handed and has a locking blade (blade length does not matter)... so even a DFly is not legal there...

When I go to a German town, the only thing I do with my Endura, Stretch or whatever at max: I unclip it and bury it deeper in the pocket, so it can´t be seen. Never, ever had a problem.

/ As for the Gentlemans / EDC knife with wooden scales: For example Cuscadi makes nice ones.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:57 am
Knifecenter.com has an exclusive wooden scaled version of the dragonfly in Hap40 that is very nice (also the delica and endura but you said you like dragonflies). I think they do international shipping, but I'm not sure.

Welcome to the forum.
They do indeed.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Welcome aboard!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:33 am
James Y wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:07 am
https://youtu.be/2hOLm_k6eCs

:)

Jim

Yeah, that´s a true Austrian woman ;)
Jim, that’s Gold! :cool:

Gernot, ole mate, you’re starting to confuse me.

I took it on face value when you (and Doc) reckoned the fellow blowing the alphorn was Swiss even though I still believe he could well be Austrian.

Anyhow, now you’re telling us American actress Lisa Stothard is, to quote, “A true Austrian woman.” This surprises me as she sounded nothing like Arnie, yet she was able to trick you into believing she is indeed one of your own.

Could you (and Doc) possibly also be mistaken about the fellow I posted blowing the alphorn? Do you (or Doc) have any proof whatsoever that he is indeed Swiss as you (and he) claim? :confused:
Last edited by Bloke on Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
standy99

Post by standy99 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:24 am
Peter1960 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:49 pm
Servus Markus,

aus welcher Ecke unseres schönen Landes kommst du denn?
Well Peter I know there's got to be more that you two guys from Austria here on the Forum? I give a big "WELCOME" to our newest Spyderville member :) We've been getting a lot of new overseas members and that's just great :)

I've always kind of been curious as to where you guys get your Spyderco knives at in Europe or anywhere else for that matter?

I know that there are dealers in Australia and South Africa but I've never really kept track of most of the other countries?
Being a Aussie

All my Spyderco’s come from Knifecenter in the US.

Australian Website dealers are a little more expensive than Knifecenter when shipping is calculated but none have the range of US websites like Knifecenter and several others. If they do finally get a newer version or a new steel it is several months after US releases.
If you wanted a Spyderco from a bricks and mortar shop in Australia your looking at probably double Knifecenter prices
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Dankeschön!
Thank you All for your tips and hospitality.
Sorry, for my late answer my posts had to be prooved by administrator.

@Doc: Manix is not my favourite, because of the locking mechanims.
What would you say about a Native?

@Bloke: Never mind. I don´t feel offended. Austria is still more then Alps an Schönbrunn.
Everything is ok.

@Ric: Were are you from, whould you tell me who your dealer is?
Clipitool isn´t mine. I wrote it above.

@Notsurewhy: I have already found knifecenter, prices are ok but shipping+taxes+costums are not so fine.

@All: Prices in Europe are mostly higher den MSRP but in Euro not in Dollar.
Does anyone know which maximum picture size is allowed?

@Wartstein: I also never had a problem whith germnay, but whith the new refugee problem "Bundespolizei"
checks also in Passau somethimes the Border an cheks even passports.
I had contact whith Cuscadi, also not very cheap and i like originals!

@koenigssegg: I hope it was no sacrilege calling his name, i instant heard his voice, "Markus I,m not from Australia!"

So what whould you say, im looking for:

One ore more new Dragonflys: K390 or other Special Ones?
A Native in REX45 Burn Orange Sprint Run?
A Para 2 in Maxamet?

Grüße aus Österreich

P.S.: @ Sal: Whould there be any way for forum members from Europe to buy Spydercos easier (and a fair price)?
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Gruss Gott! And willkommen in unseren Forum. Ich hoffe dass du gute Zeit mit uns hast.
My german is so rubbish :D but hey, welcome to our forum
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

* I come from Upper Austria, "Mühlviertel" about 15 kilometers from Linz.
Thanks for your answer! I'm not far away in Lower Austria, "Tullnerfeld". ;)

Have a nice stay here in the forums!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

JD Spydo wrote:
I've always kind of been curious as to where you guys get your Spyderco knives at in Europe or anywhere else for that matter?
Joe, Buying standard models here in local Austrian stores is no problem, especially in big cities. Of course they are overpriced, but as Austria is a rich country they are affordable, even when it hurts in comparison to US-prices.
It is a total different story when one collects them. For me I saw no other way than to order direct from US-stores and believe me, in former years it was much easier. Nowadays the postal fees are impertinent high and this is in addition to higher prices we all have to pay during the last view years.

Spyderco's company motto
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Hi Markus,

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your time here, it’s a wonderful community. I enjoyed visiting your country in 2009, visited Salzburg, stayed in Vienna and Semmering with friends. You are fortunate to have the knife laws you do; so much of Europe is very restricted.

Bill
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Welcome to the forum Markus! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Peter1960 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:13 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Joe, Buying standard models here in local Austrian stores is no problem, especially in big cities. Of course they are overpriced, but as Austria is a rich country they are affordable, even when it hurts in comparison to US-prices.
It is a total different story when one collects them. For me I saw no other way than to order direct from US-stores and believe me, in former years it was much easier. Nowadays the postal fees are impertinent high and this is in addition to higher prices we all have to pay during the last view years.
WHERE can Spydercos be found in brick and mortar stores (outside of Vienna)?!
In Salzburg (pretty big city for Austrian standards) I am not aware of one single store that carries them... :(
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Well Gernot, maybe Salzburg is too much tourist hot spot ... :D
Besides different stores in Vienna I know for example Linz (Pizzini) or Graz (Scala) and even in Tulln you can buy Spydies, but don't compare the prices!

Spyderco's company motto
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Peter1960 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:22 am
Well Gernot, maybe Salzburg is too much tourist hot spot ... :D
Besides different stores in Vienna I know for example Linz (Pizzini) or Graz (Scala) and even in Tulln you can buy Spydies, but don't compare the prices!

Thanks a lot Peter, that´s great info! :)
Linz is not too far away actually, and I´ll have a look at the store there! And yes, I am pretty sure the prices there will be about twice the US street prices, but if I can actually handle Spydies before deciding for one plus support local Austrian businesses, that´s probably worth it.

And also yes on tourists in Salzburg... :rolleyes: No shortage here when it comes to visitors...
Still: They concentrate to the inner city and some other special places, and large parts of the city are really not tourist hot spots at all (as you certainly know anyway).
So I am really surprised that I am not aware of even one single store in the city (and also the whole state/county) of Salzburg that carries even one single Spyderco model... There is a hunting store which had a serrated (!) Military and one knife and kitchen ware store that carried some budget line models, but both don´t do anymore... :(
austrian_spyder_fan

My new answer see some posts above.
austrian_spyder_fan

My Native Sprint Run arrived just before one hour!
I love it! :D
4_forum.jpg
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Welcome to the jungle! :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
austrian_spyder_fan

Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:32 am
Welcome to the jungle! :)
Thank you Larry!
Greetings to Sweden!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:10 am

4_forum.jpg

Nice!! Can´t hurt to import more Rex 45 and burnt orange to our Austria... ;)...
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:10 am
:confused: ... Are you unhappy with the Native? Because I see you try to sell it on local platform.

Spyderco's company motto