Tenacious Lightweight does it for me

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
carrot

Tenacious Lightweight does it for me

Post by carrot »

I want to congratulate the Spyderco team on another knife done well. As expected, of course.

The Tenacious Lightweight is a flawless update to a classic. This is a knife meant to WORK.

The FRN is nicely rounded, grippy as always but not sharp, and I couldn't find a rough tooling seam anywhere!

Just as on the Tenacious G-10, the jimping is perfect and the grind lines are good. Very, very nice strong detent. Lock snaps into place with authority.

My regards to the Chinese Spyderco partner, please give them more designs to do. They will do Spyderco proud.
Cambertree

Re: Tenacious Lightweight does it for me

Post by Cambertree »

Good to hear that, Carrot.

I have a blacked out G10 Tenacious and it’s a very impressive knife for the price. Definitely a great working knife too. My brother has one he uses on the farm a lot - the G10 is nearly worn smooth with constant use and carry.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Tenacious G-10 is where I got my start. Never thought I needed another knife, until the money went to my head.

Used it today for feathering wood and making hot dog sticks for the team. I obviously need a Tenacious tee shirt with a big Spyderco logo on the back.

Thanks carrot
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

This is definitely going to be one of my next purchases. Love the Tenacious!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I have a few G10 and now a lightweight serrated. Woohoo. Loving the new one. Plain edge coming soon.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mini2white wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:36 am
I have a few G10 and now a lightweight serrated. Woohoo. Loving the new one. Plain edge coming soon.

I'd be particullary interested in impressions on the serrated Tenacious LW. This one might be the most affordable, really good option for people who want to try out a spyderedge in rather thin ffg...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
carrot

Post by carrot »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:51 am
Mini2white wrote:

I'd be particullary interested in impressions on the serrated Tenacious LW. This one might be the most affordable, really good option for people who want to try out a spyderedge in rather thin ffg...
Well, I went the opposite way, I have G-10 SE and LW PE. The Tenacious SE is like a chainsaw, and I don't think there's a lot else in Spyderco's current offerings that can match with the thin FFG and long blade. Even the mighty Endela SE is shorter with fewer teeth. I think only the Caribbean can out-match the SE prowess of the Tenacious.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

carrot wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:25 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mini2white wrote:

Well, I went the opposite way, I have G-10 SE and LW PE. The Tenacious SE is like a chainsaw, and I don't think there's a lot else in Spyderco's current offerings that can match with the thin FFG and long blade. Even the mighty Endela SE is shorter with fewer teeth. I think only the Caribbean can out-match the SE prowess of the Tenacious.

Good observation about the SE. I am hoping they do an Endura and Police LW in FFG SE. An LC200N Pacific Salt in FFG SE would be great as well. What I REALLY want though is a mora-style fixed blade, but with a longer 6-7" FFG fully spyderedged blade. That would be a great work knife.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

carrot wrote:
I also have the standard Tenacious SE. It's a good yardwork companion.
Wartstein wrote:
This one might be the most affordable, really good option for people who want to try out a spyderedge in rather thin ffg...
The blade on the Tenacious is far from thin. It's pretty chunky (3mm).

There's been a lot of talk about FFG + SE being amazing but honestly I haven't noticed any real difference between FFG and hollow ground SE blades. Maybe FFG is better in cardboard but in this case a thinner blade on something like a Delica will be easier to move thru the material.

For doing odd jobs in the yard or opening packages etc really any of the mid-sized SE offerings work equally well for me.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Carrot.

Eric worked on that project for a long time, both with the knife maker and the plastics maker. I think they all did an exceptional job. Now he's working on updated steels with the maker.

sal
JMM

Post by JMM »

sal wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:52 pm
Thanx Carrot.

Eric worked on that project for a long time, both with the knife maker and the plastics maker. I think they all did an exceptional job. Now he's working on updated steels with the maker.

sal
Is there any possibility we will see a LW Resilience in PE and/or SE? The original is my absolute favourite Spydie from China hands down.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JMM,

It depends on demand. Eric is certainly capable of designing one. The Lt wt Tenacious is still new. Need to watch for a while.

sal
carrot

Post by carrot »

JMM wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:12 pm
Is there any possibility we will see a LW Resilience in PE and/or SE? The original is my absolute favourite Spydie from China hands down.
I’d love to see this too. I’m not sure if the Resilience sells enough to justify LW molds but I’d be in for one of each...
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Haha, while I'm wishing and enjoying my full SE tenacious, I'd love a full SE native chief....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
carrot

Post by carrot »

Sal, if the plastics used in the Para 3 LW and Tenacious LW are indications of what future Spyderco LW will be like, I may never want to carry G-10 again! I was just blown away how good the new scales feel in my hands.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

carrot wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:13 pm
Sal, if the plastics used in the Para 3 LW and Tenacious LW are indications of what future Spyderco LW will be like, I may never want to carry G-10 again! I was just blown away how good the new scales feel in my hands.
I agree wholeheartedly! The newer lw scales, esp the liner less ones are amazing! I much prefer them to g10. I don’t know how well they’d hold up to hard use but for everyday carry they’re the bee’s knees :)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

carrot wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:13 pm

This! I carry my FRN knives 99% of the time. The Endura, Delica, Dragonfly, Pacific Salt, Native LW/Salt, and Manix LW are all awesome! The Tenacious LW and Endela in both PE and SE are on my short list for next knives, as are the K390 Endura, Delica, and Dragonfly.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:59 am
carrot wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
This one might be the most affordable, really good option for people who want to try out a spyderedge in rather thin ffg...
The blade on the Tenacious is far from thin. It's pretty chunky (3mm).

There's been a lot of talk about FFG + SE being amazing but honestly I haven't noticed any real difference between FFG and hollow ground SE blades. Maybe FFG is better in cardboard but in this case a thinner blade on something like a Delica will be easier to move thru the material.

For doing odd jobs in the yard or opening packages etc really any of the mid-sized SE offerings work equally well for me.
3mm definitely is on the thinner side for a Spyderco of this size (I said "rather thin") and I really would not call it "chunky"
Thinner than for example the 3.7 of the Millie family members or the Shaman.
Not many Spydies are even thinner (Delica / DFly 2.5, Chap/Centofante 2.0 for example)

Anyway, I am one of those who talked about ffg and SE being amazing and I stand by it.
Sure: What will come even more into play perhaps is the specific "shape" of the serrations themselves (depth, "pointiness"...)

But if the Tenacious SE is anything like the Endela SE (similar blade stock and ffg) in my experience it should work noticeable better in "normal" EDC tasks than let's say the Pac Salt SE (as much as I love the latter) and frankly (if aharpened properly) better in most tasks (not only "odd jobs in the yard and opening packages) than PE. For me and in my use at least.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Wartstein wrote:
Mini2white wrote:

I love it, funnily enough I ordered plain edge but got serrated. No big deal just order another knife :) . The LW Tenacious just works, I havent needed to sharpen it yet, but haven't given it a tough work out either. Mainly cardboard, some rope, and cable ties.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Just received a blacked out tenacious lightweight SE and im really impressed.
Zero blade play, feels good in the hand although a lot heavier than my native 5 lightweights, but that's to be expected with the liners and blade.
Im really impressed with these value folders, id have no hesitation recommending them to new comers and seasoned collectors, really good knives for the money.
Looking forward to seeing how the steel holds up over time.