Latest on the Joule?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AUXCOM

Latest on the Joule?

Post by AUXCOM »

Hello all - I've been absent from these forums for a while. I be bitten again by the spyder during the covid shutdown and have re-kindled my interest. The potential for a Reinhold / Spyderco Joule collab has gotten my attention. I've seen some older posts in 2015 and 2018 but nothing since. Has this LBK died on the vine? I sure hope not. As long as it stays true to the original I think it would be a sweet little edc - any news would be appreciated.
rabbitanarchy14

Re: Latest on the Joule?

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i would be into a joule and buy one. i would also be into the leafstorm if they re released it or in another steel as a sprint or even a leafstorm 9.

i am looking for more spydercos in the 2.4 - 2.8 size range without a backlock.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Interesting design. I like it, but what really got my attention while browsing current designs on his website was the Rhino Grande. I'd love to have one.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Thanks for bringing this topic up again, OP. I’d love to see Spyderco make a production version of the Joule. The grind reminds me a lot of the regrinds for sale on places like KnivesPlus. Given the similarities to production Spydies, our doesn’t see like it would be too hard to turn this into a production model. But I don’t know much about the process, to be fair.

I also really like his Lanny's Clip model.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Last edited by Enactive on Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

It's cool that Michael Reinhold is active on the forums. Would be cool to see more of his work in production. :D :cool: :spyder:
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'd be happy to see any of his other designs become available as Spyderco Collabs. Foremost the Tuxedo Trapper, then the Grande. The Joule is interesting, but I'd need to see more pictures or hold one to really make up my mind.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I like that! Wire clip?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hi AUXCOM,

Glad to have you back. Thank you very much for your interest in the Joule. The Joule was my first folding knife design, created about eight years ago. To answer your question, I believe the Joule has already found another collaborative home with another knife company. I can’t reveal too much at this time, but we can hopefully look for it in the coming months. However, there may also be some other cool Spyderco/Reinhold projects coming in the not-too-distant future that will hopefully be of interest to you.

Thanks again for your interest in my design! And thanks to you guys too for the kind words!

All the best,

Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi AUXCOM,

The Joule has been put on hold in favor of some other of Michael's designs, which are being worked on..

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:39 pm
Hi AUXCOM,

The Joule has been put on hold in favor of some other of Michael's designs, which are being worked on..

sal
Very good news, thanks Sal!

@Spydernut Also good news, congratulations on both bits of news.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

sal wrote:
Hi AUXCOM,

sal
Nice hint! Thanks Sal :)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

SpyderNut wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:36 pm
Hi AUXCOM,

Glad to have you back. Thank you very much for your interest in the Joule. The Joule was my first folding knife design, created about eight years ago. To answer your question, I believe the Joule has already found another collaborative home with another knife company. I can’t reveal too much at this time, but we can hopefully look for it in the coming months. However, there may also be some other cool Spyderco/Reinhold projects coming in the not-too-distant future that will hopefully be of interest to you.

Thanks again for your interest in my design! And thanks to you guys too for the kind words!

All the best,

Michael
That's a bummer, I liked the Joule.

What's going on with the Tuxedo Trapper? That one, with a CL or backlock, would have me drooling.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
AUXCOM

Post by AUXCOM »

SpyderNut wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:36 pm
Hi AUXCOM,

All the best,

Michael
Hey Michael - Thanks for responding and appreciate the update. I really like that little bugger, almost reminds me of what a mini Yojimbo could look like . I'll keep an eye out for an announcement elsewhere and I'll hang tight to see what you and the good folks at Spyderco have in store in the way of future collabs. R/
AUXCOM

Post by AUXCOM »

sal wrote:
Hi AUXCOM,

sal
Hey Sal - Thanks for taking the time to respond. Can't wait to see what e;se you and Michael have in the works. Stay safe and well /R AUXCOM
remnar

Post by remnar »

The Joule rules. I'd be on board for one if it's ever produced and the price isn't inflated with expensive scale materials and blade steel.